Navigating my base is a pain

HexivaHexiva The Inactive Lava Zone Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219670Members
I don't know if I'm the only one who has this problem, but I've found that it's difficult to move through a Multipurpose Room with an Alien Containment tank in the middle. It's worse if the room has corridors on all four sides, because then you get stuck on those little stair railing things that stick out for no apparent reason. It slows you down, and if you have a big enough base, it already takes awhile to get from one end of the base to the other.

Obviously this is far from a game-breaking issue, but it's one of those little things that makes playing the game slightly less fun.

I can think of two solutions to this problem. Ideally, I think, they'd both be things you could build in-game.
  1. Bigger rooms. That would be the obvious solution - just add a room that's bigger than the Multipurpose Room where we can still build Alien Containments. It would also help to make the insides of bases less monotonous.
  2. Short-range teleport. This would solve the Alien Containment problem AND the problem where your base is so big it takes ages to walk from one end to the other. Teleportation, of course, could easily break the game because of the emphasis on exploration, but I was thinking this teleport would only be able to teleport you to other parts of your own base.

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited July 2016
    I found a very simple solution to alleviate this problem.

Simply build one hatch on every 4 sides of the Alien containment and use those to go thru them instead of circling around them in the room. Not only is this way faster but you can also use this in multiple-story tanks to go up/down levels as well, basically turning your fishtank into a gimp elevator :smiley:

Of course, the ability to build bigger room would be welcomed as well. Some peeps suggested rooms the size of the moonpool which i agree would be pretty nifty. I dont think it would even be too hard to make for the dev since the thing is basically already all designed, all one would need to do is redesign the interior a bit to make it visually okay.
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    Just remove the rails from the stairs on all of the connectors. If I fall on the obviously wet floor I wont sue I promise. Of all of the threats in this game to my personal safety I feel wet floors are on the low end of my concern.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited July 2016
    Slackerstu wrote: »
    Just remove the rails from the stairs on all of the connectors. If I fall on the obviously wet floor I wont sue I promise. Of all of the threats in this game to my personal safety I feel wet floors are on the low end of my concern.

i dunno ....

You could slip on a stair and arrive face-first in your alien containment, then it cracks, producing small fissures at first then bigger ones as time passes. You couldnt fix it in time cuz you'd be unconscious due to the hit to the face!

then after a few seconds the aquarium shatterz and all the sandsharks in there, waiting for an opportunity to eat your face off, would jump on you and eat you!

Bam yer dead ... all of this caused by a wet floor! so you see those stair rails are God-sent! :smiley::wink:
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    an easy fix is to jump, you can jump over the railings :P
  • HexivaHexiva The Inactive Lava Zone Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219670Members
    I could build hatches everywhere, and I have been jumping, but it would be a nice anti-frustration feature.

It would also be nice to have more shapes of rooms.
  • SiegeSiege Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219769Members
    Yeah that containment tank is really a bit too large for the multipurpose room. They either need to shrink it down a bit, change the shape, or make a bigger room to put it in.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    Siege wrote: »
    Yeah that containment tank is really a bit too large for the multipurpose room. They either need to shrink it down a bit, change the shape, or make a bigger room to put it in.

Or maybe make it its own room?
  • WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    A larger multipurpose room would be cool as a central base hub,

able to snap on 8 corridors and 5 snap points in the center in a + pattern
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    I would imagine that a "larger" room would specifically mandate reinforcement. As it is now we can get away without reinforcement as long as the base components are.

A. On foundations.
    B. A few, and not many.

Of course I would welcome any new additions along with any restrictions.
  • yellowsubyellowsub manchester Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220525Members
    A simple fix would be to merge rooms. I've mentioned this before so I'll try to keep it brief

The mpr (multi purpose room) has 8 internal faces at 45° angles. By overlapping 1 mpr with another so that at least 2 panels were flush (this should be 3 faces from each mpr overlapped) you could merge rooms to take any desired shape.

Unfortunately I'm on a phone so can't draw diagram to show but I hope this makes sense. It's not too hard to code so devs shouldn't complain and opens ability for more creative options.

What you all think
  • xencostixencosti USA Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221241Members
    Arrows... We already have signs but I would like 4 plain arrows. Left, Right, Up, Down. That's it. Then my signs could also give a sense of direction.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Or those floor lights like in Enders Game, where the yellow lights trail off to one place the red goes another, then blue, green orange, so on until you've got a system where you know where you're going all the time.
  • HexivaHexiva The Inactive Lava Zone Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219670Members
    I particularly like the idea of merging multipurpose rooms and/or of making the Alien Containment Unit its own room.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    xencosti wrote: »
    Arrows... We already have signs but I would like 4 plain arrows. Left, Right, Up, Down. That's it. Then my signs could also give a sense of direction.

Signs have arrows, don't they?
  • SeigaSeiga Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221448Members
    Hexiva wrote: »
    you get stuck on those little stair railing things that stick out for no apparent reason

That annoys me even if it's only a single corridor leading into the room!
  • rottendrakerottendrake Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217470Members

They don't. I for one made the arrows myself. Used < and > and ^ and v. For ^ and v i used multiple signs since they can't be multiple lines.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

They don't. I for one made the arrows myself. Used < and > and ^ and v. For ^ and v i used multiple signs since they can't be multiple lines.

Yes they do. I just checked. When you type in a sign, there are 4 arrows on all sides of the sign. You just have to click on them.
  • ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members

Yes they do. I just checked. When you type in a sign, there are 4 arrows on all sides of the sign. You just have to click on them.

That's right.

They have 4 arrows that you have to activate by a single click on the arrow.
  • aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
    You could also, oh I don't know... Make the Alien containment at the end of a hallway or just design your base with the alien containment in mind?
    Very true. Like I said, it's by no means a game-breaker for me. But it would be more convenient for players if it DIDN'T block the way, and as the game exists solely for the entertainment of players, that's reason enough.

(Also, I have way more than one alien containment per base.)
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    i'd be interesting to use an observatory sphere as alien containment.
  • ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    Ya know whats really blocking your way? Indoorgrowbed with 4 Lanterntrees on it xD
    Ill never place such a thing in front of a section again.

As for the Alientankproblem:

I always build my base like this:

Base - - - T-Section, multiple stacked Alientank Tower 1 With Airsacks left side, multiple stacked Alientank Tower with Reginalds right side.
    No blocking, no annoying swimming through or up and down for getting past them.

Its just a question of the layout :)