Submit Your Creature Ideas!

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    edited June 2016
    What about a missile fish. 2 ideas for the same name:
    1.Defensive fish just bigger than an airsack. It builds up air in a small sack than, when threatened, it launches that air very quickly out of a small valve. Acting like a torpedo, it hurdles towards whatever threatens it.
    2.Peaceful fish with an aerodynamic design. Like the Defensive build, it stores air up in a sack, but instead of using it as a weapon it uses it to quickly get away with the aid of the air being quickly real eased and 4 fins.
  • Anycade1Anycade1 Ohio Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219386Members
    I got ideas wanna hear em?
  • ScyphozaScyphoza Join Date: 2010-05-09 Member: 71680Members
    The game needs some sort or giant hermit crab that uses the wrecked escape pods. Also maybe something like a pearl fish. (its hides inside the anus of sea cucumbers for safety) that will hide inside of the smaller containers that are around larger wreckage.
    Boulderfish is better that their skin is tough like rocks and u need the laser cutter to eat them
  • FleshGolemFleshGolem USA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219642Members
    edited July 2016
    Elusive primitive Merfolk of course. those that keep their distance, travel in packs, and live in caves or coral tiled homes/communities. You can make them just apart of the beastiary, or maybe make them interactable with a lot of trust-factor involved, for things like trade of resources/coralmade-equipment.

152df47502fb9f4df254a529c35d7d3e.jpg

6c53b76279afe444584ce1bcdc7e3af9.jpg

4f3c1034b2f8c00acd6c63fba08ad38b.jpg

8c9a295ea52040921f2fde86cffb57c6.jpg

e2f9c4da375bb45d9b13b047e80dff7e.jpg
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    @FleshGolem, love the idea. But instead of merfolk, maybe you should have submitted concept for precursors. Nobody knows what they look like. Or, instead of precursors and merfolk, a new race of intelligent underwater humanoid beings. But again, love the idea.
  • DakoDako Canada Join Date: 2016-07-03 Member: 219523Members
    Scyphoza wrote: »
    The game needs some sort or giant hermit crab that uses the wrecked escape pods. Also maybe something like a pearl fish. (its hides inside the anus of sea cucumbers for safety) that will hide inside of the smaller containers that are around larger wreckage.

Oh god. I'd love to see a creature that is like disguised as a piece of metal scrap, but is like subtly moving so you can tell if you actually look. XD That'd be glorious. Go and try to pick it up and it attacks you.

And I mean a smaller version of the hermit crab could totally use like, the little cargo containers that are scattered around the wrecks. Even if they don't do much, it'd be kinda cute. =P

Speaking of, an angler type fish or something with some type of lure would be pretty cool.

I might have to draw up some ideas for creatures later. :I
  • DogorskiDogorski United States Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219714Members
    My idea is a creature that lurks just below the eye's reach in really deep waters.
    The creature's name is a Void Stalker, and are bigger than Stalkers but not too much bigger.
    They are slim and eel-like, but not completely. A bit wider than a Stalker but not too much.
    They have 3 small eyes and 1 medium on either side of their heads and their eyes glow, but they tend to keep them closed and rely on hearing until a player approaches to keep a sneaky aspect.
    They have long fins at the start of their body with 3 long claws each and another shorter pair at the end of their body with none. They also have a mouth that is pointed like a beak but with long, jagged teeth also. Their head is pretty slim, but again, not as slim as a Stalkers. They are all black in color with white, glowing eyes. They also have a long tail.
    They are quite big, but not obnoxiously big.
    When the player approaches, they make a low growl-like sound to scare the player, giving them a small amount of time to attempt to swim away before attacking. Needless to say these guys are distant relatives of Stalkers.
    They would be there to make the exploration to the island and other places with deep waters a more dangerous journey that requires proper equipment.
    Sorry I don't have an image, by the way
  • FireLizard54FireLizard54 ohio Join Date: 2015-08-21 Member: 207360Members
    edited July 2016
    I thought up a few interesting creatures recently and thought I'd share them

Coral Knight- Pink and blue crab-like creatures that live in the Twisty Bridges and the Koosh Zone. Instead of having claws, males have a lance-like apendage and a chitin shield that have earned them the name of coral knights. They use these weapons to fight off predators that wish to eat their eggs. They are around the size of a Husky and are very territorial. Their lance can do serious damage to equipment and glass windows on bases and vehicles.

Lancelot- Navy Blue and violet fish slightly bigger than a peeper with a large lance-like extremity growing from their face. They use this to attack prey and defend themselves. They live in the Grand Reef, under the lillypad Islands and around the crash zone. Like the coral knights, they can cause serious damage to equipment, but unlike them, lancelots can be captured, if you are skillful enough, and can be eaten.

Hive Back- Giant, grey and yellow cephalopod-like creatures that have large hives that grow upon their backs. Within these hives are small blue grubs that stay within its back until they reach the age where they are able to swim. They have long tentacles that droop from its body and were once used for defense but have become useless as it became older. They can be found in the underwater islands and on rare occasions above the dunes and the sea treaders path. They have been known to grow as large as Reef Backs, if not larger.

Hive Prince- Unlike the hive back, the hive prince has no tentacles, instead they use quick bursts of speed to escape predators. The prince lives for the soul purpose of breeding with as many lone nymphs as it can before dying of exhaustion.

Hive Nymph- The adolescent form of the Hive Back, Hive Nymphs spend most pf their adolescent days guarding their mother, until she can birth children no longer and dies of old age. The tentacles on their body are still young and let off electric charges that kill prey and chase off predators that came to feast on the hive grubs like Sand sharks and the occasional reaper leviathan.

Hive Grub- The child form of the Hive Backs, they are soft squishy and let off soft humming and yelling noises as they are approached. They rest in their mothers back, although some have been known to fall out, which is why some scavenging predators have been known to follow hive back legions from a distance.

Trilomite- Small ghostly trilobite-like creatures found in the lost river biome. They let off a white glow, and swim around in large schools. They can be collected however they can only be eaten pured as their body lets off deadly toxins when cooked.
  • JFCappsJFCapps Parts Unknown Join Date: 2016-04-14 Member: 215747Members
    I really like the trilomite idea. Very cool.

Personally I'd like to see more creatures akin to hermit crabs, sea snails, and starfish, or even a nudibranch. I know there are some starfish like creatures in one are of the game that are purely aesthetic. I think that'd be great addition and would really flesh out the ecosystem. We have plenty of flora and tons of fish, but we're lacking in "invertebrates".

And for that reason I have to say...SAVE THE ROCKPUNCHER! Even if we have to turn it into the base puncher. It'd be awesome to just see them wandering across the dunes. Their design is awesome!

Personally I'd like to see something like an octopus as well. And, to clarify, I don't just mean the crabsquid (which is one of my favorite creatures btw). But something that is a master of stealth and camouflage and can hide very easily. Something that is also highly intelligent. I'd love to see it actually STALK the player and ambush them at close range. Maybe it hides when you look its way. Then imagine if it followed you all the way to your base and waited quietly while you're inside...

Or grabbed you with tentacles when you entered your moonpool!
  • fakin2fakin2 Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220012Members
    Punkero wrote: »
    -The Guardian-
    Last one of its kind, The guardian would spawn in a biome whitch has huge bones and skulls along the ocean floor. The guardian is, like its name suggests guarding the remains of its parents. The guardian would be bigger than the reaper leviathan. It would be a bat-like creature whit huge fins for wings and long tail. It would attack the player if he/she would go near the biome or in to the biome. He would be able to make holes in to cyclopes and destroy seamoths by throwing them at the ground.
    Maybe a different name due to minecraft having a guardian? Totally ruins the idea for me, cause it makes me think of the blocky thing that has nothing to do with this. Great idea though.
  • fakin2fakin2 Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220012Members
    So nobody likes the sketches? Ok

We do, just make more jellyfish like things, but have them a lot more alien looking. They are pretty good.
  • ExtremeAstronomyExtremeAstronomy Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220117Members
    Or what do you think about these?alien_sea_creatures_by_simonfetscher-d766r3m.jpg

And some land creatures for the floater island: the_diversity_of_spinostomes_by_nemo_ramjet.jpg

Some more info:

# Land creatures for the Floater Island:
    the_diversity_of_spinostomes_by_nemo_ramjet.jpg
    Especially the bottom-right one. It will be found in the central regions of the Floater Island and will be defensive.
    The upper right one will be in the caves of the Mountain Islands and floater island. It will hang from the ceiling and camouflage. It attacks the player when underneath it. Its behaviour will be similar to the Bleeder and will be a little blood-sucker.
    The bottom-right one is will be common on the shores of the Mountain Islands. It will behave the same as the upper right one.

# A huge shrimp-like creature:
    alien_sea_creature_by_yefumm-d5hmb31.jpg
    This thing will be found in the Grand Reef and will be the only predator of the Sea Treader. Maybe also found in the Twisty Bridges when added.

# Some new plants:
    spore_mega_flora.jpg
    They will exist on the mountain island only. They will drop fruits. Here the Purple Passion will be carnivorous and will swallow you whole!

# A big predator:
    alien_sea_creatures_by_simonfetscher-d766r3m.jpg
    This will be the predator of the reefback. About the same size as the Reaper Leviathan. It will not be very agressive to the player. It will live in the Mushroom Forest, Grassy Plateaus and Twisty Bridges.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    bioluminescent_millipede.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg

I think we've got plenty of ideas for oversized instant death beasts. I'm thinking what we really need is more little, harmless things.

• SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    I've got a medium sized (under 3 meters in length) deep sea predator that will exists in areas of atleast enough heat to support thermal generators. calling it a lurker currently. will begin to draw. the current design is of a quadrupedal animal that has a hinged muzzle with a top plate and two mandibles. a sail running down its back with armor plates and what looks like magnetite growing off of its back and sides. a scorpion like tail that is half its length is present and used for large prey or armored prey.

dimensions (going off a 6 foot tall human)
    from snout to tail tip, it is around 3.1-3.3 meters. the muzzle tip to the back of the skull is a 10th of the body's length (excluding tail). the core body at its thickest is about 2 and a half feet, with the thinnest being about 1 foot (height wise); and the widest part of the body is about a meter in dimensions. the forelimbs are strong enough to support the creatures weight but not to suspend the weight vertically like the rear limbs can, limb is Plantigrade (like us). the rear limbs are digitigrade and muscular, boasting a strong buttocks and thigh muscles, enough to thrust the creature into the air about a meter or to hold its weight up in climbing, this creature stands on all fours about 5 feet and 7 inches, standing on its hind legs it stands well over 7 feet tall (2 meters). the (hand) composition of the forelimbs is built as two claws made for burrowing into the rocks of its environment. its feet are built in a star formation to support its weight and to hold itself when fighting for territory. its tail is long and cylindrical and contains half if not less than half of its body's length, and around a half meter in diameter, which is segmented every quarter meter. the tail ends in a tri prong pincer designed to pierce thick shellfish (and the metal of a sea moth without hull reinforcements). this pincer is at maximum a quarter meter and reinforced with natural sediments to be as hard as diamonds.

Behaviour:
    General: Lurkers are often solitary ambush predators, but they can inhabit about 50 per square kilometer. Rarely seen together, companionships do occur within the species, often times when moving to colder water as one can hunt while the other makes a den to preserve the heat of both lurkers.
    Range/Biomes: It should go without saying areas with active Lava and geothermal activity, but this creature also appears in BloodKelp, Mountain, GrassyPlateaus, and the DeepReef Biomes. this creature can be found from 100M to 1700M bellow sea level and are more common near thermal hotspots
    Predatory: As an ambush predator, this creature conserves energy by being dormant most of the day and appears to have sporadic sleep cycles due to its deep sea environment rarely receiving sunlight. How it hunts is by both burying itself in loose sediments and waiting for prey to approach; it attacks either by quickly unburrowing itself or by using its tail to impale the prey. it has a max ambush range of about 2 meters. it is attracted to light and will follow a source of light until its close enough to attack, or is entering another lurker's territory or it has gone out.
    Nocturnal: These creatures are hyper photosensitive, and remain in areas of low sunlight, despite appearing in the Mountains and Grassy Plateaus, you will often find them in caves or near hotspots burrowed the entire day. in low light environments their 6 eyes scan the environment in thermal, black and white, and sonar. They are incredibly near to medium sighted, and anything further than 25 meters is outside their optic range and appears fuzzy and unfocused.
    Territory: Males are highly defensive of their territory and will attack and attempt to kill any other animals who pose a threat to their territory, including the player and its vehicles. A lurker marks its territory with a specific pheromone only produce by the specific male, in a pinkish jelly like substance that is corrosive to human flesh, and its own bioluminescent color of white which strikes polarizing to surrounding water. Females are free to tread wherever they please and males will allow this for breeding favors or loyalty. Despite being a rare occurrence most partnerships are male exclusive and rarely females are involved in these pairings.
    Reproduction: males will conjure in areas of high food supply and temperatures exceeding 35 degrees C, and begin to compete for females. Females are grouped together and will pick from living bachelors and place bets, if the bets are competing, the winning male gets both females while the losing male is either without a mate or dead. Females will dig a burrow and lay hundreds of small eggs into it, where the male will proceed to fertilize and mark the spot with his "jelly". after about a year growing inside the eggs, the newborn "Kelpies" burrow out and begin to look for food and grow, often eating siblings and any thing else nearby. this occurrence attracts predators who will swarm this area feasting upon the newborn Kelpies. this frenzy lasts for a month before predators return to their own territory, and the remaining Kelpies will continue to feast upon each other and surrounding fish, slowly growing and maturing, and eventually seeking out warm waters with plenty of food.

Life cycle:
    Year 0: Eggs take a year to hatch and fertilize, being protected by a thick circular membrane that is mostly toxic to predators.
    Year 1: Eggs hatch into Kelpies, these resemble a shrimp like creature with no hind legs and long cylindrical tail, it does however have its two clawed fore leg and its sail. It remains in this state for a minimum of 7 years
    Year 8: Kelpies are almost fully matured and undergo a migration to open spaces near the surface to cocoon and mature, this process is the shortest of its life time, but does not ensure sexual maturity. the Cocoon is known as a Blood Pod as it resembles a Blood Oil sphere.
    year 8.5: once emerged from their cocoon, the new Lurker begins to migrant to warm environments to begin its life. it takes around 10-15 years to reach sexual maturity, but a minimum of 5 years is required from this young adult to full adult.
    year 14/18/24: With the Lurker completing its maturation to full adult, it will begin to compete or be the prize in mating.
    Average life span: 38 years.
    Forms: Egg -> Kelpie -> Blood Pod -> immature Lurker -> Mature Lurker, and if it lives long enough, -> Elder Lurker.
    Notes: it doesn't happen often, but Lurkers have an unknown maximum age, and could be theoretically Biologically Immortal, though like with the Terran Lobster, this creature experiences the effects of being hunted by larger predators, and can starve if food supply becomes too low. This creature may not be able to die of old age, but finding an Elder Lurker or at least its carapace could hold insight into its behavior and life span.

(image soon to come, hopefully. I need to find my colored pencils and finish the bioluminescent markings)
  • CptFlubberGuppyCptFlubberGuppy Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220214Members
    If they expand the map, and add more dunes-like areas, I'd like to see a creature similar to a giant crab, that would stay hidden under the sand and come up when it spotted prey, with noticeable trademarks that let you know where under the sand it was located. I'd also want to be able to hear large things from far away, especially in environments where there are few objects to distort or absorb the sound.
  • AgentMaryland93AgentMaryland93 Pittston, Pa Join Date: 2016-05-03 Member: 216323Members
    What about a Dolphin like creature? Something that will protect you rather than remain neutral, attack, or flee.
  • GarthGarth CA Join Date: 2016-07-15 Member: 220263Members
    How about something that just drifts along passively like the reefback... but is massive and huge with a gaping maw that can swallow the player if they dont notice its behind them.

CLv9S81WUAADsKK.jpg:large
    Garth wrote: »
    How about something that just drifts along passively like the reefback... but is massive and huge with a gaping maw that can swallow the player if they dont notice its behind them.

CLv9S81WUAADsKK.jpg:large

would be a god awful way to die
  • GarthGarth CA Join Date: 2016-07-15 Member: 220263Members
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    would be a god awful way to die

Bonus points if it spawns super deep down so its extra dark and hard to see coming.
    Does nobody like the lurker? Or does it need its own post
  • jak_frjak_fr Join Date: 2016-07-17 Member: 220359Members
    Maybe an ambush predator would be a good addition, something with a huge mouth and a tiny body, waiting in the sand... basically an angler fish (but alien!).
    jak_fr wrote: »
    Maybe an ambush predator would be a good addition, something with a huge mouth and a tiny body, waiting in the sand... basically an angler fish (but alien!).
    *cough* look at the lurker

• DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    XvCBGfD.jpg

I want to see a small, cute, brightly colored fish that glow like nothing else. PASSIVE, they don't hurt or attack anything.

Behavior gimmick: They follow the player around and hover around them (steal Gravity Sphere code, focus on player, only this species of fish are effected). If you move slow enough they make for a great light source... at least until a hungry predator eats them. When they're right next to you. OK, so turns out there is a downside to them after all...
  • T3CKN3SST3CKN3SS South Africa Join Date: 2016-07-18 Member: 220396Members
    edited July 2016
    I was thinking, what if you make a fish that is terrified of light. and the fish must be a valuable resource.
    The reason i say terrified of light is because it will mean the player has to go out at night to find the fish, and if you have your sub with you it wont show up either because of the lights on the front. So basically you need to go out at night without a sub or flash light, in the hostile depths of subnautica in ordered to hunt this valuable little "scardy-fish". Making the fish luminescent would help finding it at night but make it spawn in a very hostile biome. Imagine your wondering around in the darkness of dunes looking for a fish the size of a peeper, you have your subs lights off so as not to scare the thing....and in the darkness you hear the reaper-leviathans scream :s:s:s . Just saying it would be nice because other than for the thrill or the pretty colors theres no reason to go out at night. even if it spawns in the kelp forrest...stalkers will be after you while you hunt the little fish. :#
  • CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    How about a bird or flying creature that starts in the air and sees it prey and dives into the water spears it with its beak.