Subnautica Lore Theories

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
A thread for posting what you might think be the reason why stuff is stuff and not other stuff.
I'll start with some of mine

Reason For The Crash
So the entire reason we're in such a dire situation, is because of a "mysterious energy" shot down the Aurora, and basically sabotaged the colonization efforts. My theory as to the source of the energy?
latest?cb=20150408084630
Our soon to be implemented, stylish coat wearing buddy, the Warper, of course.
Opening dimensional portals would take a metric crapton of energy, especially for a biological organism. So it could very easily have projected some of this energy into space to intercept the Aurora, perhaps having perceived it as a threat. I also assume that these creatures will be of higher intelligence than most others, given how they float upright, can rip open reality with their mind, and have impeccable fashion sense.

Why there are so many damn Reaper Leviathans around the Aurora
They're attracted to radiation, of course. They could have also eaten any other survivors that attempted to escape the wreckage.

Whaddyathink

Comments

• tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    woah woah woah woah woah. reper leviathans eating people? that a little to violent for this game.....if you want violence like that you can play other survival games.
    there will be no violence in this game!

someone hug me i'm triggered.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2015
    woah woah woah woah woah. reper leviathans eating people? that a little to violent for this game.....if you want violence like that you can play other survival games.

Jesus dude.. *pats*

EDIT: As for your theories, i believe the radiation lured the reapers in, im not sure if the warper is responsible for the energy blast, maybe every warper is a "drone" and theres a huge overlord of some sort from whom the blast originates.
  • fakin2fakin2 Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220012Members

Dude, what the heck, reapers eat YOU in the game, why wouldn't they eat other people? Too violent for you? That's what survival is like kid. If you don't like actual survival don't join in.

As for the theories, they are pretty good.
  • SmarterThanAllSmarterThanAll Holland Michigan Join Date: 2016-06-24 Member: 219021Members

No
  • Geocrafter47Geocrafter47 Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219382Members

well the cave crawlers on the aurora eat humanas. the computer says so while fixing it
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I'd say most carnivorous life on the planet would gladly eat humans. Well... 'til they find out how much cholesterol some humans have.

I'm more curious about the survivors. Where did they go? And what's the deal with the Degasi survivors contracting some strange DNA altering disease?
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    edited July 2016
    Whoa, if you go onto the wikia it says that the precursors had the tech to shoot down ships. HINT. Also, it says that the warpers were created by precursors to guard their bases.

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    This is the biggest necro Iv'e seen in ages.

And it was done for the sole reason of taking a joke the wrong way.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Whoa, if you go onto the wikia it says that the precursors had the tech to shoot down ships. HINT. Also, it says that the warpers were created by precursors to guard their bases.

Don't take everything on the wiki as set in stone or correct ;)

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I know but didn't you write the wiki @Obraxis
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    X-Com%202%20-%20Terror%20From%20The%20Deep_6.png

Looking forward to the end-game raid on the Precursor base.
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    I'm willing to bet that the only survivor we're going to find of the Degasi is going to be Baal. If we find anyone at all. The way things seem to be shaping up, your journey is going to be following theirs, for the most part. And wherever it ends, you'll either help them finish it, or succeed where they failed.
    I actually have a theory to post. Why can we hear things underwater. I have 3 theories:
    1.Special earplugs that the player has that makes out sounds in the underwater Eco system and translates them into proper noise.
    2.All the animals have evolved to emit noises that render with out ears as full sounds. But this is obviously be accident since humans didn't evolve on the planet.
    3.Humans have evolved or edited their genomes so that they can hear actual noises underwater instead of the jumbled noise we hear today.
  • BloodGod22BloodGod22 England Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219708Members
    edited July 2016
    I actually have a theory to post. Why can we hear things underwater. I have 3 theories:
    1.Special earplugs that the player has that makes out sounds in the underwater Eco system and translates them into proper noise.
    2.All the animals have evolved to emit noises that render with out ears as full sounds. But this is obviously be accident since humans didn't evolve on the planet.
    3.Humans have evolved or edited their genomes so that they can hear actual noises underwater instead of the jumbled noise we hear today.

PLOT TWIST:

Baal is the Sea Emperor!!! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!

BTW, are the Precursors native to this planet?
    edited July 2016
    I'm more interested in the merc's story. Was she going insane, or was she acting out of her years of experience on the job?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Plot twist:
    Twisty Bridges biome is a precursor, alive since aeons before the Sea Emperor usurped the planet from them. The Sea Emperor is the actual bad guy and freeing him will result in the bad ending.
  • BloodGod22BloodGod22 England Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219708Members
    edited July 2016
    Fathom wrote: »
    Plot twist:
    Twisty Bridges biome is a precursor, alive since aeons before the Sea Emperor usurped the planet from them. The Sea Emperor is the actual bad guy and freeing him will result in the bad ending.

That...makes no sense. Although I like the idea of a sentient biome or a biome sized creature.
    edited July 2016
    BloodGod22 wrote: »
    Fathom wrote: »
    Plot twist:

That...makes no sense. Although I like the idea of a sentient biome or a biome sized creature.

Now that reminds me of the game Starflight, an old DOS/Sega Genesis game. Part of the plot of the game involves your ship's fuel, Endurium. You had to buy/mine the stuff to keep your ship going...
    Endurium was also a crystalline alien species. They weren't happy with us burning them for fuel. And a planet literally made of them was going through space causing stars nearby to flare, destroying all life on their planetary systems.

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I know but didn't you write the wiki @Obraxis

Nope - the Wiki is community made.
    Oh, okay. I thought that the devs wrote the wiki with the help of the community.
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members

It's nature dude. Like you eat cows, reapers eat people
  • CampepsiCampepsi Quebec Join Date: 2016-07-17 Member: 220368Members

Just saying, hearing sound underwater is not a game feature, its science. You can hear sound from a far distance underwater in real life as well. No need of special technology for that or any evolution trait.
    Water is good to help sound travel much bigger distance.
    A real life example of this is scuba diving. I did scuba dive quite often and I can assure you, you can hear sound underwater. When I dive, i could dive aroung 40-50 feet below the surface and still hear a boat not even directly over my head. While scube diving, you can hear a boat engine for very far (I dont know the exact distance) and you hear it as if it was right beside you while it can be very far away. So hearing a underwater creature is totally possible.
    another much simplyer example is, in a big pool. If someone scream underwater in on corner of the pool, the person on the opposite corner of the pool (that seccond peson have to be underwater) will probably hear the scream if the pool is not too big.

So that reaper roar in the distance, would much possibly be possible
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Certain wavelengths outside the range of mere human hearing can be detected underwater at ranges of thousands of kilometers.
    But whenever I go swimming all sound gets distorted.
  • NoJusticeNoJustice Join Date: 2019-03-10 Member: 251633Members
    Hows this for a theory the sea emperor species is not going exinct because someting is killing it off but maybe it is going extinct because of malnutrition, think about it what would those things eat and where would it find its food most areas are too shalow and that thing isn’t very fast. Imagine a malnourished sea emperor right before it dies skinny pale and weak. Or maby the environment doesn’t support them anymore most areas big enough to house one are either full of stuff that would eat it or is void of life. I cant live in the craters edge and by stuff that would eat it i mean ghost leviathans and reapers, also the void is well void of life there is nothing to eat.
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    I think the reapers are actuly peepers effected by the radiation
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2019
    Welp this old thread got revived. Interesting to see old theories.

And i seriously hope the message above is a joke. If it isnt a joke then here is my response:
    Reapers can not be peepers affected by radiation. It is impossible. The PDA would have notice that. Reapers dont even look like Peepers so how could they be a version of Peepers infected by radiation. Heck. Reapers dont even look like Eyeyes, Oculus, or Reginalds. And those creatures are closely related to the Peeper
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2019
    @NoJustice
    Sea Emperors are filter feeders. They eat microganisms just like adult Ghost Leviathans. It says so ingame in one of the databanks in the PCF
  • DarkStar88DarkStar88 Omaha, NE Join Date: 2018-05-03 Member: 240491Members
    edited March 2019
    The Degrasi and Aurora are not the first ships to be shot down on the planet. All those chunks of titanium are from other small ships that got completely blown to shreds by the Quarantine Platform's weapon, then slowly covered with sediment. The Aurora was just the first ship large enough to leave a "corpse".
  • vuatsonvuatson Join Date: 2019-03-10 Member: 251649Members
    I’m only partway through the game so I don’t know if this gets contradicted later, but I think that Cuddlefish are the species that the Precursors used to make Warpers. They’re the only two species with that basic body structure of vaguely humanoid torso + head, two limbs in front, tentacles in back (at least that I’ve run into, please don’t spoil me if that’s not the case!). They’re also the most intelligent native species (again, as far as I’m aware), which would give the Precursors more raw material to work with as they program in the Warpers’ directives, and finally there’s the fact that you find a Cuddlefish egg on a research slab at the same facility where the Warpers were being manufactured.