Weird CPU and GPU Usage

MythossMythoss USA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219598Members
When playing the game I noticed my 1080 gtx sits at 30% usage or so. This made me check my cpu usage, thinking it must be the bottleneck, nope.. it's sitting at 50%-60% usage. Meanwhile I have fps dips into the 40's and rarely mid 30's. Game is pretty stuttery too. All my other games work beautifully. Something strange is going on with how this game is programmed. CPU and GPU utilization should be much better and it shouldn't be stuttering while moving around. My VRAM usage is like 5.4 gbs or something which isn't the 8gb cap on my card. Anyone else having similar issues with higher end cards?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well it is still not optimized so loading in areas can potentially stutter even on a rig with a GTX 1080

How much ram do you have, I assume 16Gb and are you running a new HDD for the rig or pulled on from a previous one (could be a loading issue from HDD). I'll also assume you've got a pretty brand new rig what with that 1080 in there :D
  • MythossMythoss USA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219598Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Well it is still not optimized so loading in areas can potentially stutter even on a rig with a GTX 1080

How much ram do you have, I assume 16Gb and are you running a new HDD for the rig or pulled on from a previous one (could be a loading issue from HDD). I'll also assume you've got a pretty brand new rig what with that 1080 in there :D

Good assumptions! Haha. Yeah I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something weird on my end. I have a 120hz monitor so I like to run as close to that framerate as possible. If this game gave me full utilization I think I could. It's like there is a soft cap or something built into the engine. Really weird stuff.
    I think it might have something to do with running in Window Mode or perhaps vsync. Is there anyway to force these off?
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    Don't run in windowed mode. V-sync can be disabled in the game in the options menu but that shouldn't be causing instability.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's to do with garbage collection and other game slowdowns. I also run a high-end rig and have noticed this. We'll be working on more optimisations for the future as well as possibly upgrading to Unity 5.4 when it comes out of beta which may help.
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    Interesting. I can run this game for hours at a time and maintain a solid 60 FPS and over 100 with v-sync turned off. The only issue I have which seems common to everyone is the frame stall when new terrain loads.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Just one of the caveats of playing an Early Access game. I have a high end rig too and stuttering still persists. If a game isn't optimized it doesn't matter how powerful your rig is.
    WarViper wrote: »
    Don't run in windowed mode. V-sync can be disabled in the game in the options menu but that shouldn't be causing instability.

Even when you run fullscreen it's technically "fullscreen windowed" so it's still a form of window mode.

I've had some games in the past not play nice with higher refresh rates (sometimes window mode has something to do with it) being able to disable.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    It's to do with garbage collection and other game slowdowns. I also run a high-end rig and have noticed this. We'll be working on more optimisations for the future as well as possibly upgrading to Unity 5.4 when it comes out of beta which may help.

That's great news, glad other people are noticing it. Any kind of timeframe on when these optimizations might make it in?

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I would like to have one thing clarified. I have 16GB of RAM, and 4GB of VRAM on my GTX 970. With that amount of memory available, one would think the game assets could be completely cached in RAM, so that the constant slow I/O access to HDD (I have SDD, but this is still slower than RAM) would not cause the omni-present stutter.

My game process allocates mere 8GB, which seems to be a waste of available resources.

Are the devs planning to improve this behavior in future?
    edited July 2016
    I noticed the game uses a lot of my vram, about 5.4 gbs with everything maxed out. I still have more available (it's an 8 GB card) so I am surprised it shutters as well.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Are the devs planning to improve this behavior in future?

We will certainly try.

• CrawmakCrawmak USA Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219814Members
    Like everyone else has said, a lot of it is just a lack of optimization. It's still early access, so it's to be expected, y'know?
    But honestly, the last update helped immensely with me. I have a pretty decent rig (I would have once called it high-end, but now that the GTX 10 series is out, a 970 isn't all that much), and even though the Xbox optimizations were supposed to help a little on LOW-end computers, it completely got rid of the horrible frames I'd get right after loading into the game.