What should be done about the health bar?

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    alphz wrote: »

@Kouji_San is it possible to have aliens actively bleed while below a certain HP amount? in addition to the colour change?
    Marines could spark when they have less than x% armour, and bleed when they are below x% health too?

How is that any better than health bars?

Also Destiny, Overwatch and Borderlands lol. Has to be a joke. Completely different genre all of them. And Overwatch basically the epitom of casual game.

I'm going to take that your stance is essentially that hidden information is sacred?

Anytime a game includes enemies which essentially just suck up all your bullets you NEED feedback on that. Did you nearly kill the onos or barely scratch it - this allows intuitive learning about how to approach onos - as a team and when to chase it.

There are features of this game which a learnt skills that are great, and then there are features which are just unintuitive hurdles to players learning to be better and then enjoy it.
    NS3 (if) wont be any better if it includes the same "mechanics"

You GOT feedback. Damage numbers tell you exactly how much damage you have dealt.

Even those aren't needed after you get used to killing lifeforms, I never used them.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »

@Kouji_San is it possible to have aliens actively bleed while below a certain HP amount? in addition to the colour change?
    Marines could spark when they have less than x% armour, and bleed when they are below x% health too?

Also Destiny, Overwatch and Borderlands lol. Has to be a joke. Completely different genre all of them. And Overwatch basically the epitom of casual game.

I'm going to take that your stance is essentially that hidden information is sacred?

Anytime a game includes enemies which essentially just suck up all your bullets you NEED feedback on that. Did you nearly kill the onos or barely scratch it - this allows intuitive learning about how to approach onos - as a team and when to chase it.

There are features of this game which a learnt skills that are great, and then there are features which are just unintuitive hurdles to players learning to be better and then enjoy it.

You GOT feedback. Damage numbers tell you exactly how much damage you have dealt.

Even those aren't needed after you get used to killing lifeforms, I never used them.

Without damage numbers I got the problem that I can't say if bullets did hit or not (let alone hitreg issues). Also you can tell easily if skulks got carapace or if your grenades actually hit something when firing around a corner. Imo feedback is very important and it would really suck to play without.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Well I've always used the hitsounds.. so no need to wonder whether bullets hit or not :tongue:
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    edited July 2016
    I like those damage numbers appear after I lob some grenades at a hive.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    alster wrote: »
    I like those damage numbers appear after I lob some grenades at a hive.

I concur, that shizzle is very satisfying. AOE YO!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Along with what Aeglos said, Remi was also an NS2+ contributor early on.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Nordic wrote: »

He does seem to have a thing for bars. If I recall correctly, he was the one who brought in the expiry bars for NS2+?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Aeglos wrote: »

He does seem to have a thing for bars. If I recall correctly, he was the one who brought in the expiry bars for NS2+?

I'm still waiting for the update that takes the rest of the numbers away... I mean they ditched ping numbers for the useless uninformative bars, why not player count? Or hell next will probably be the scoreboard in-game.. Instead of kills/assists/deaths in numbers they'll change it into 3 seperate bars... kdr bar, assist bar, and death bar...

Gotta make it look and feel more like CoD so the casuals will come play it right?
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    edited July 2016
    One already have a hard time analysing his own motivations, so I'm always amazed when I see someone pretending he knows someone else motivations.

32uw4swir1tl.jpg
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Honestly i have to wonder what goes through a person like remi's head. He comes into a dev team so long after release, implements his wishlist, notices its causing massive problems, and instead of reverting he starts making other changes in unrelated areas to "account for the changes" that cause even more widespread problems. Then goes on the forums and in the face of overwhelming community feedback, makes the shitpost i quoted earlier.

Intentionally coming into such an old and already well functioning game just to take a dump on it for personal reasons really is awful.

We may disagree with the results, but shitting on the intent is just ridiculous. He is doing what he thinks is best for the game. He was a volunteer who put in a lot of features during and before the CDT before he joined the PDT.

He's doing what HE thinks is best, thats the problem. NS2 was not created by him, he is overriding preexisting decisions by the real development team, and the popular demand of the community, just for what HE wants. He is dropping his own personal shit on everyone else's stuff. That is the problem with his intent.

If its a mod, do whatever you want, i disagree with letting a lot of what ns2+ lets players do, but its a mod and people choose to use it. But healthbars arent a mod. The rest of the shitty changes arent mods. I want something more resembling the game i bought, rather than something from the mind of someone who plays too many MOBAs rather than FPS.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do you think any one developer, let alone Remi, puts things into the game willy nilly without any discussion? They do not.
    Honestly i have to wonder what goes through a person like remi's head. He comes into a dev team so long after release, implements his wishlist, notices its causing massive problems, and instead of reverting he starts making other changes in unrelated areas to "account for the changes" that cause even more widespread problems. Then goes on the forums and in the face of overwhelming community feedback, makes the shitpost i quoted earlier.

Intentionally coming into such an old and already well functioning game just to take a dump on it for personal reasons really is awful.

We may disagree with the results, but shitting on the intent is just ridiculous. He is doing what he thinks is best for the game. He was a volunteer who put in a lot of features during and before the CDT before he joined the PDT.

He's doing what HE thinks is best, thats the problem. NS2 was not created by him, he is overriding preexisting decisions by the real development team, and the popular demand of the community, just for what HE wants. He is dropping his own personal **** on everyone else's stuff. That is the problem with his intent.

If its a mod, do whatever you want, i disagree with letting a lot of what ns2+ lets players do, but its a mod and people choose to use it. But healthbars arent a mod. The rest of the shitty changes arent mods. I want something more resembling the game i bought, rather than something from the mind of someone who plays too many MOBAs rather than FPS.

Look, you can complain about his decisions all you want. I'll even join you in some/most/all of them. I have been on record complaining about them myself. Complaining about his motivations, insinuating that it is malicious, however, is overboard.

Let's put it another way. There are a lot of servers which I think have a negative impact on the game, that I won't choose to join. I'm not going to call the server operators names and say that they are killing NS2. Just putting up a server is a sacrifice on their part. Maybe they make a profit through donations but I doubt it.
    @Alite. This is a "Remove it" exclusive topic, please go to the "I don't care" topic, it should be located somewhere bewteen "Buff the power nodes" and "Allows cysts on ceiling".
    : P
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    Nobody here is a mustache twirling villain, maybe you misunderstand my position. Im calling into question his motivation because putting your own preferences over the community's IS malicious in it's own way. By deliberately ignoring the majority, and previous developer decisions, for his own preferences he becomes malicious, sure he thinks its better *for him*, but better *for him* isn't what counts. If this was remi's game i'd say it was just a bad game, and go play something else, but this isn't remi's game, this is ns2 and i don't appreciate the game in already my library with hundreds of hours being turned something i have no interest in despite majority disagreement.

The guy can't even defend his decisions properly. He just makes shitposts and decrees that his terrible changes are permanent, then goes onto make the rest of the game worse too just to compensate for bad changes!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nobody here is a mustache twirling villain, maybe you misunderstand my position. Im calling into question his motivation because putting your own preferences over the community's IS malicious in it's own way. By deliberately ignoring the majority, and previous developer decisions, for his own preferences he becomes malicious, sure he thinks its better *for him*, but better *for him* isn't what counts. If this was remi's game i'd say it was just a bad game, and go play something else, but this isn't remi's game, this is ns2 and i don't appreciate the game in already my library with hundreds of hours being turned something i have no interest in despite majority disagreement.

The guy can't even defend his decisions properly. He just makes shitposts and decrees that his terrible changes are permanent, then goes onto make the rest of the game worse too just to compensate for bad changes!

You have no idea what the internal decision process looks like, yet you talk like you do. That's what Aeglos is criticizing.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited July 2016

I'm still not ready to quite give up on the game yet, but sadly this comment seems fairly accurate..

We can hope the upcoming changes will balance things back out and breathe life into the game... Some of the latest changes (bars) are just so wtf that it really kills those hopes though...
    edited July 2016
    Alite wrote: »
    Do you think any one developer, let alone Remi, puts things into the game willy nilly without any discussion? They do not.

Looking at the game's recent balance changes, I'm honestly not sure that's the correct answer lol

They do have weekly meetings. No decision is made by any one developer. To think otherwise seems quite silly to me. I guess in your eyes for a group of people to make what you think is such a poor decision could not be possible.

You have no idea what the internal decision process looks like, yet you talk like you do. That's what Aeglos is criticizing.

No. I'm just saying you can criticise someone for being incompetent, stubborn or unsuitable or something along those lines. I may or may not agree but I think that its fair to criticise the actions and results. What I disagree with is an attack on the person. He may be failing to make the game better, but he is certainly trying. Just because he has a different vision for the game doesn't mean that he is being selfish or malicious. Its not like Flayra was any more democratic anyway, judging from that quote being bandied around recently.

Regarding the internal decision process, well, if you are the dev standing up for a feature and defending it, you own it, especially if you use first person pronouns. If you are just the spokesperson, too bad for you, have your team engage more then.

Also, Mattk50, I stopped playing with thousands of hours. Boo fucking hoo. Just play another game if you're so upset. I did. It is UWE's game and Remi is an employee. It is his game along with the rest of the PDT. I don't see how I can misunderstand your position either, what with words like "taking a personal dump".
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2016
    How about instead of tying (..edit: tiing? tieing?) it to damage dealt, we tie hitsound pitch to the HP of the enemy?

I realise that I'm touching/possibly desecrating holy ground here, but I find it an interesting idea...

I actually kinda like this idea, you know. I dont think it'd help really, but have a Gold Star for creativity!

I dont wanna be that guy, but in NS2's case this isn't unheard of :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    How about instead of tying (..edit: tiing? tieing?) it to damage dealt, we tie hitsound pitch to the HP of the enemy?

I realise that I'm touching/possibly desecrating holy ground here, but I find it an interesting idea...

I actually kinda like this idea, you know. I dont think it'd help really, but have a Gold Star for creativity!

Thank you! I will put it in my gold star sticker book.

I dont wanna be that guy, but in NS2's case this isn't unheard of :P

Sadly, I have to agree with this. Still, I want to believe. :I
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Let server operators enable / disable it, theoretically with how you have it set up now the only people disabling it will be those with shit hardware who want a performance boost.

PS:I know you don't give a fuck
    It's a hot day today, health at the bar ?
    s7pqaqrzbtjv.jpg
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

If I'm shooting an onos, I have a damn good idea exactly how much damage I did, since I didn't really miss. The fuck do I need feedback for?
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Nobody here is a mustache twirling villain

I would love to be, but cant grow a proper mustache :'(