Multipurpose rooms are no longer going to be a starting blueprint...

13»

Comments

• DakoDako Canada Join Date: 2016-07-03 Member: 219523Members
    I actually find that the multipurpose room being locked at the start a good idea. It seems a bit illogical that you'd just automatically have the blueprints for every part of a base, right off the get go. Though I am a bit sad that there's no custom shaped rooms that you can grid together for larger rooms as further tech. But eh, it happens.

Currently I'm making a rather massive base, as in, I want a specimen tank for every fish (Wish I could have them lined up in a big room, but eh). And, I didn't really have to work too hard to get it even as big as it is, since the rooms cost what, 6 titanium? And foundations cost 8, just make a few scrap runs and you can build a pretty large base as soon as you get the habitat builder. Even solar panels only take 2 titanium and 1-2 quartz.

So having you only be able to make a smaller base until you find the tech to make a bigger one kinda fits the whole flow of the game. You go explore further every time, you build bigger as you go on. Ect. Though I'm hoping that the rooms are still pretty early in your tech tree, probably around the same time you get a bioreactor, since that's the first thing you actually NEED a multipurpose room for (sides from the specimen tanks).

But yeah, those are just my opinions on the matter. XD
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    My current game I'm living out of an X corridor. I put the hatch on the top, so I can have appliances on all the walls. Feels surprisingly roomy. I'm gonna have to build a moonpool soon, which will wind up looking pretty silly though. Basically I'll deconstruct the hatch, slap a vertical connector or 2 on the top where it was, then put another corridor section on the top with some reinforcements, and attach the moonpool to it.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited July 2016
    Rezca wrote: »
    I'm still curious where you'll get the Multipurpose Room blueprint. If it's as easy as scanning it off the Abandoned Seabase on the Floater Island, then it's little different than starting with the blueprint already, since visiting the island is the first thing I do after getting the Builder anyway.

Well, this could be one reason why you'll want to go to the abandoned seabase located at the heat signature beacon (the one Degasi survivors built) since it has the multipurpose room as part of its construction.

I'm finding that a small, cramped seabase is pretty efficient. But I guess the feeling of isolation will make you want to build grand, large seabases if only to alleviate that problem (for me it makes that problem much worse though).
  • RedMallieRedMallie America Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214355Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    Looks great! I pretty much have to have a Bench in my bases, so I went with the T over the straight piece or the cross, since I could get it against a wall without giving up much.

There are some downsides to the microbases - for example, you can't reinforce them like an MP room, so they are best in 200m or less depth. ...

Sorry, I have no picture of this, but if you mean to place reinforcement panels on the corridors, it is possible. I placed one on my T corridor. But maybe you are referring to something else entirely, though.

In the meantime, I am enjoying this new approach to building. Ah! And I had never thought about using the ocean bottom as storage. Good idea.

I'm curious... What would happen if the Habitat Builder blueprint was also removed from the starting blueprints, forcing us to rely on the escape pod a bit longer? I started a new game, and the first thing I did (after getting materials for airtanks, fins, and survival knife) was to get all the materials for the Habitat Builder, then establish a new base. All within the first hour of play. What if we had to find broken habitat builder tools to scan blueprints for one? Or are habitat building tools part of the standard survival blueprints you're given by the corporation you work for?
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    RedMallie wrote: »
    Looks great! I pretty much have to have a Bench in my bases, so I went with the T over the straight piece or the cross, since I could get it against a wall without giving up much.

There are some downsides to the microbases - for example, you can't reinforce them like an MP room, so they are best in 200m or less depth. ...

Sorry, I have no picture of this, but if you mean to place reinforcement panels on the corridors, it is possible. I placed one on my T corridor. But maybe you are referring to something else entirely, though.

In the meantime, I am enjoying this new approach to building. Ah! And I had never thought about using the ocean bottom as storage. Good idea.

Hmm it didn't work for me when I tried it, but perhaps I already had something mounted on the wall, preventing it from placing the Reinforcement. I know I can fit Bulkheads between corridor sections, but I'll have to try the Reinforcement thing again. Thanks for the tip!
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members

Hmm it didn't work for me when I tried it, but perhaps I already had something mounted on the wall, preventing it from placing the Reinforcement. I know I can fit Bulkheads between corridor sections, but I'll have to try the Reinforcement thing again. Thanks for the tip!
    I also have reinforcement panels on the corridor sections of my base

• BloodGod22BloodGod22 England Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219708Members
    Yay... reinforcement panels... expensive stuff that doesn't make much of a difference because even if you completely cover a Multipurpose room in them, you'll still get leaks somehow.
    And this is at depths <100 meters.
    It's like these things are made out of cardboard.
    edited July 2016
    OK, I went back and checked and I couldn't put the Reinforcement in earlier because there WAS something already mounted to the wall. When I cleared the wall, I was able to put the Reinforcement panel in the center of the flat part of the T section. Excellent!

Unfortunately, I forgot about the whole '"Don't modify the Corridor section if you have a Solar Panel or anything else mounted to it externally", so as soon as the Bulkhead popped into place, the power went off in my little shack, because the Solar Panel got vaporized. /sigh

Always install Solar Panel on roof last, and remove it before modifying the Corridor walls with Hatch, Reinforcement, or Bulkheads.
    BloodGod22 wrote: »
    Yay... reinforcement panels... expensive stuff that doesn't make much of a difference because even if you completely cover a Multipurpose room in them, you'll still get leaks somehow.
    And this is at depths <100 meters.
    It's like these things are made out of cardboard.

I've never had a leaking MP Room at less than 400m depth. Are you putting them in the diagonal corners for the extra HP? What else do you have in the room, an Alien Containment with a Gasopod in it?
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members

Reinforcement panels do work in corridors. They can be mounted after you have placed stuff on the walls. But... do not mount solar panels before the reinforcements. The solar panels will disappear as you build the reinforcement panels.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    @BloodGod22 I don't see how you can be getting leaks unless you're ramming the cyclops into it or something - or overloading the structural integrity of the base despite the reinforcements.
    edited July 2016
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    @BloodGod22 I don't see how you can be getting leaks unless you're ramming the cyclops into it or something - or overloading the structural integrity of the base despite the reinforcements.

I'm guessing he has a MP Room and a bunch of corridors. The first room you build has 10 HP by default (in normal depth water), less the 1.25 for a MP or -1 for a corridor. Adding a Hatch subtracts from that, and each additional section of Corridor subtracts from it too. If he has multiple hatches and corridor segments he could run out of HP in a hurry, especially if he has an Alien Containment with more than one hatch into it.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    I'm curious... What would happen if the Habitat Builder blueprint was also removed from the starting blueprints, forcing us to rely on the escape pod a bit longer?
    The plan is actually to remove the Builder from the starting blueprints list. Along with many many other things. We want the player to start out with just a few basics, but we needed to get some additional UI system features set up, which was just done in this latest patch -- "Locked but known technologies (e.g. Seamoth in Constructor) will display grey icons in fabrication menus"
    edited July 2016
    Without a HabTool will you're tied to the Lifepod, because without it you can't build a second fabricator anywhere. That will definitely throttle game play for a while - no possibility of building any other shelter until you have one, so it will be the first major roadblock for the survivor. Depending on where they put the fragments/blueprints for the HabTool (the radzone, for example) it may take quite a while to obtain one.
    Without a HabTool will you're tied to the Lifepod, because without it you can't build a second fabricator anywhere. That will definitely throttle game play for a while - no possibility of building any other shelter until you have one, so it will be the first major roadblock for the survivor. Depending on where they put the fragments/blueprints for the HabTool (the radzone, for example) it may take quite a while to obtain one.

I'm actually fine with that - it no longer takes much time at all for me to go from starting a new game to at least having a seamoth and a smallish base with a moonpool & upgrade station. Now granted, I've started a LOT of new games by this point, so my viewpoint is different than a new player, but being forced to explore a bit more seems like a good thing.

I'm guessing he has a MP Room and a bunch of corridors. The first room you build has 10 HP by default (in normal depth water), less the 1.25 for a MP or -1 for a corridor. Adding a Hatch subtracts from that, and each additional section of Corridor subtracts from it too. If he has multiple hatches and corridor segments he could run out of HP in a hurry, especially if he has an Alien Containment with more than one hatch into it.

So that means I can never have an interconnected base without it turning into swiss chesse?
    I mean seriously, this even happens on dry land ffs! Just go ahead and build a base on the floating isle and see for yourself.
    It completely breaks my immersion to have water leaking through the walls while not actually being in it.
    [So that means I can never have an interconnected base without it turning into swiss chesse?
    I mean seriously, this even happens on dry land ffs! Just go ahead and build a base on the floating isle and see for yourself.
    It completely breaks my immersion to have water leaking through the walls while not actually being in it.
    If you're getting breaches above water, there is something very wrong with your game. I recommend reinstall, and if that doesn't fix it, open a bug report in the bug report forum.

Bases above water do not lose any structural integrity at all. I've built towers high enough to reach the top of the Aurora, and no reinforcement was necessary. Below water, when you build a new piece on your base, it should say in the upper left corner how much hull integrity you have left. If that goes negative, you start getting breaches. At least, that's how its supposed to work. Adding reinforcement panels and bulkheads increases your integrity, allowing larger bases.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Build foundations and reinforcements and keep an eye on the base hull strength counter. If nothing else build a MP room in the basement or somewhere out of the way and fill it with reinforcements so it adds to the counter. A MP room with every facet reinforced grants something like 84 hull strength.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Honestly I am looking forward to the builder being stripped of the late game stuff. Currently I am running out of stuff to do because it is all too available, too soon. I enjoy the slow grind to explore and gain new tools and structures. After all the scurrying and running from the stuff that wants to eat me, finding stuff will feel so much more rewarding. It will also dramatically lengthen play time. I am all for stripping the builder of all but an item or two to start with. Looking forward to the long grind. So excited!
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    I'm curious... What would happen if the Habitat Builder blueprint was also removed from the starting blueprints, forcing us to rely on the escape pod a bit longer?
    The plan is actually to remove the Builder from the starting blueprints list. Along with many many other things. We want the player to start out with just a few basics, but we needed to get some additional UI system features set up, which was just done in this latest patch -- "Locked but known technologies (e.g. Seamoth in Constructor) will display grey icons in fabrication menus"

Hopefully when this happens the pod drifting even when repaired stops being an issue. It'd be pretty hard to use the pod as a lifeline when it's surrounded by Reaper Leviathans in a radiation zone...
    [So that means I can never have an interconnected base without it turning into swiss chesse?
    If you're getting breaches above water, there is something very wrong with your game. I recommend reinstall, and if that doesn't fix it, open a bug report in the bug report forum.

Bases above water do not lose any structural integrity at all. I've built towers high enough to reach the top of the Aurora, and no reinforcement was necessary. Below water, when you build a new piece on your base, it should say in the upper left corner how much hull integrity you have left. If that goes negative, you start getting breaches. At least, that's how its supposed to work. Adding reinforcement panels and bulkheads increases your integrity, allowing larger bases.

Yeah, I figured it might be a bug. My Floating Island base has breaches despite being built on land. Water flows in but surprisingly it doesn't fill up.
    Room still loses power though.
    Out of curiosity, does any part of your island base stick into the water, and if so, how much? I'm wondering if you could have exceeded the structural integrity limit underwater, causing breaches to appear above water, even though they shouldn't.
    How old is your save game, too? Is this one you started a long time ago, through multiple updates, or a fresh one?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Oh noes.... I just came back to this game after seeing its name highlighted in characteristic "update" blue on my steam library. All in all, I really love the dangerous creatures update, I'm currently trying to explore all of the new features implemented in a freedom game!

Although, I guess I'm just feeling a little melancholic that the kind of game I could play about a year ago isn't really available anymore. The game's a less of something light and beautiful in an easy-going way, exchanging that for grittier gameplay and more realistic survival. So, I guess gameplay is just much longer now. Much grind-ier. Yaaaay....?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Will we ever have no more time in our schedules to just sit back, relax, and enjoy this beautiful world the devs have crafted?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    There is creative mode. No pressure. Just float.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    There is creative mode. No pressure. Just float.

Ach! Logic, my arch nemesis!

no really, though... I guess I just feel like the polarization between creative and survival is increasing. To me, playing in creative I feel a little detached from the world, like I'm not really interacting. Maybe freedom mode could be a middle ground, of sorts? Make it slightly easier for all the whiners like me?
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    The only grindy bits, I feel, are early game. After you hit mid-point there is plenty of time to just zoom around and take in the sights and sounds of the world.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    no really, though... I guess I just feel like the polarization between creative and survival is increasing. To me, playing in creative I feel a little detached from the world, like I'm not really interacting. Maybe freedom mode could be a middle ground, of sorts? Make it slightly easier for all the whiners like me?
    As I understand it, eventually the devs plan to remove the specific modes and just give you a bunch of checkboxes and sliders to decide which features you want in and out, similar to Space Engineers. So that'd let you customise things to make the sort of middle ground that you prefer.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Then I hope the check boxes include their nerfs as optional.

If my choice is spending 10 hours to make a self-sustaining power source that can keep up with the constant drain on my vehicles using the moon pool or not worrying about energy at all, that would be disappointing. I like having to worry about food, water, oxygen, and power. I just don't want to have my game dominated into a linear experience doing that.