Community/Forum Guideline

13»

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Boo hoo, a small game forum has moderators

Boo hoo my post on a small game forum got modded

Boo hoo I have no life

Boo hoo

I want to preface by saying that I found this funny, and the dude has a point - there are better things to worry about.

However - @IronHorse - if you want to know how to get people to trust that their complaints about moderation are being taken seriously, perhaps you shouldn't be awesoming posts like this?

Like, I know I said I was done, but c'mon man...

You deserve one!
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016

Boo hoo I have no life

Boo hoo

Stuff like this is what makes me think the moderation on this forum is illogical. I lost a few brain cells reading this dude's post, yet for some reason I can't call him out for what he really is or my entire post will be moderated. But his retarded triple post just gets to stay there.

Boo hoo I have no life

Boo hoo

I want to preface by saying that I found this funny, and the dude has a point - there are better things to worry about.

However - @IronHorse - if you want to know how to get people to trust that their complaints about moderation are being taken seriously, perhaps you shouldn't be awesoming posts like this?

Like, I know I said I was done, but c'mon man...

100% agree with you there. Really don't see what is so funny about his post, I read it and then questioned his mental sanity and also wondered if I'm starting to waste my time on this forum reading retarded shit like that.

But hey, to each their own? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts

I think I've already more than demonstrated how much moderation is being taken seriously, from continual changes to major policy overhauls.
    If that isn't sufficient for an individual, and they require my personal opinions to be withheld as a result, then they are going to be disappointed.

People really need to learn to separate the role from the individual around here.
    While I agree with his point (just like you do...) this does not take change or demonstrate my moderation actions in any way.. and if someone thinks that's the case then they haven't been paying attention lately. *shrug*
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited June 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @AurOn2
    When it makes it to page 2 it will be... (you just bumped it back up tho :P)
    Also.. get on our discord, mang.

Work Work...
    Jobs Done.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Are you unable to separate my personal opinions from my moderation role?? Am I unable to provide an opinion in these forums because of my role?.

Whatchout for shyzophrenia tho, if you ever PM yourslef, call a shrink :D
    Beware of opinions, you know what they say, opinions are like <span style="color:orange">snip</span>holes, every one got one and it stinks
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If that isn't sufficient for an individual, and they require my personal opinions to be withheld as a result, then they are going to be disappointed.

Usually when forum moderation gets to a stage of harshness, people will rightly look at the moderation and see opinions they arent allowed to disagree with without suffering extra scrutiny. Especially snarky responses that you make or rate, they will feel like they're not allowed to snark back. It causes basic chilling effect on responses and makes people resent each time they notice it. Basically when people respond like this, people want you to either moderate the better way (more casually, in which moderators rarely use banning tools except in more extreme cases, and you know, actually be a moderating force in a community, an example to follow), or go the full way to being extremely harsh, and have no opinions of your own as a neutral party. Otherwise it will cause divisions in the community and escalation in conflicts. Its not really possible to have both in tandem. Also, im confused why there's so many moderators on these forums, a forum of this size should only need one person two at most. This many may be a sign of overmoderation on the forum's part.

I've noticed that xenoforo is pretty terrible for moderation from a community perspective as it abstracts rules, simplifies the banning process and lacks transparancy for all the decisions, breeding resentment and paranoia. Every xenforo i've been on had similar issues. Not that the forum software will change, but something to keep in mind. Additionally its really a bad idea to only make people who have never broken a rule mods, though i obviously have no way to know whether or not thats the case. More general advice: its always important to realize when moderating that the way you read someone's post is not always the way they intended it to be read, its always better to just reply and get a clarification. A moderator who always assumes the worse intent in reading is doomed to having the same done in reverse, and will always make a community worse rather than better. And keep in mind that the more moderators there are, the harder it is to maintain these standards, people will blame everyone on a team for each issue, especially since mods rarely reverse eachother's decisions due to the nature of it being an in-group.

@MAttk
    One can't ask to people involved in the game not to be involved.

What you ask would mean to recruit people who don't care about the game, but only about moderating functions.

NS2 is a (too) small world. , we can and have to handle talking with involved people who also have some power of decision.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited June 2016
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Also, im confused why there's so many moderators on these forums, a forum of this size should only need one person two at most. This many may be a sign of overmoderation on the forum's part.

Any forum staff member has to deal with both NS2 and Subnautica forums. You can't have only one Moderator to deal with any moderation issue regarding those two games. I'm, for myself, not going to read all the threads in this forum, so I'm glad there are other mods around to do it when they feel like it. Sure, there's the 'report post' function but you'd still need Moderators around just in case.
    Additionally its really a bad idea to only make people who have never broken a rule mods, though i obviously have no way to know whether or not thats the case.

How is that an issue?
    More general advice: its always important to realize when moderating that the way you read someone's post is not always the way they intended it to be read, its always better to just reply and get a clarification. A moderator who always assumes the worse intent in reading is doomed to having the same done in reverse, and will always make a community worse rather than better.

That we agree. Some messages however, do not have different kind of interpretations, and in this specific case, we'd need to react quicly.
    And keep in mind that the more moderators there are, the harder it is to maintain these standards, people will blame everyone on a team for each issue, especially since mods rarely reverse eachother's decisions due to the nature of it being an in-group.

We only have a few Moderators for your information.

100% agree with what @Wake said above.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »
    @MAttk
    One can't ask to people involved in the game not to be involved.

What you ask would mean to recruit people who don't care about the game, but only about moderating functions.

NS2 is a (too) small world. , we can and have to handle talking with involved people who also have some power of decision.

Then, you agree with my actual point, that because recruiting uninvolved people isnt possible, the moderation style should reflect that? Or did you just ignore that part of my post.
    @Mattk50 Sorry, I am not sure to get your drift :

I prefer to have involved moderators. It's all about passion.
    On Zappateers, there used to be a subforum named Playground Psychotics "not for the faint hearted" and over there, we could discuss anything the way we wanted to (except getting really really really nasty). General discussions turning bad would be moved by mods to the PP corner. Can't post excerpt here tho ;)

Btw, the mods were not moderating under their user profile but used a common mod profile, Ms Pinky.
    Worked pretty well.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Mattk50
    I don't agree with your point, I believe that I can have a personal opinion here so long as it still conforms to the same rules that everyone else follows, and still moderate.
    That being said, your scenario of a more relaxed moderation has already occurred, so I guess that leaves me even more free to have a personal opinion that is separate from my moderation role, according to people like yourself. :)
    @Mattk50
    I don't agree with your point, I believe that I can have a personal opinion here so long as it still conforms to the same rules that everyone else follows, and still moderate.
    That being said, your scenario of a more relaxed moderation has already occurred, so I guess that leaves me even more free to have a personal opinion that is separate from my moderation role, according to people like yourself. :)
    What constitutes relaxed moderation will vary from person to person, but im glad you say it has.

At this point im realizing again how bad the xenforo software is, with it's complete lack of transparancy.
  • StupidStupid Join Date: 2018-06-03 Member: 241104Members
    edited June 2018
    Does relax moderation mean to unburry 3X4L7, even though his opinions were different and unpopular?