The Alien Vision change is a change for the worse

13»

Comments

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    edited June 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    If only it were that simple @NotPaLaGi. I have been recycling my posts for a few years now. If anything that is one of my least recycled posts. The one you linked was not even the first time I made that post. You linked a recycled post. :frowning:

I agree I spend too much time on these forums, and post more than I should, but I don't plan on stopping soon. You said I need to listen more, but I actually read most everything that comes through these forums. You can judge that how you will, but it is what I do.

Too stay sort of on topic. I play with alien vision on all the time.

Looking and hearing is different from listening and seeing.
  • Anti94Anti94 Join Date: 2013-07-31 Member: 186489Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What I would like to have is a "marine vision". With "marine vision" ON you would see exactly what a marine would see (e.g you coundn't see cloaked stuff). It would be useful because it is often difficult to assess what marines can see and cannot see (including yourself, teammates, alien buildings).
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Anti94 wrote: »
    What I would like to have is a "marine vision". With "marine vision" ON you would see exactly what a marine would see (e.g you coundn't see cloaked stuff). It would be useful because it is often difficult to assess what marines can see and cannot see (including yourself, teammates, alien buildings).

It's simple really...

Marines can see everything except for shaded structures...

Even level 3 cloaking (vampirism) is visible to marines..

There should be no confusion.. In fact adding a "marine vision" for aliens would just confuse the hell out of everyone.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    My only issue with it is that I can't easily tell if it's on or not. I have to toggle it a few times.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Sintax Love that first screenshot :P
    Were you around in the old days, when there was the green-and-orange AV? You would have hated that one. It was literally all green and orange.

Am I the only one who never moved on from that AV? I still use it. I have no desire to see any textures or even geometry of the map, only the player models and structures, and I feel like the original AV has the best contrast between the two. It even automatically filters far-off backgrounds that give no information whatsoever into black.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    Sintax wrote: »
    Now I do have a problem, because turning it off means you completely lose track of enemies.
    Yeah I've been here through all the AV's. Never cared how they looked because I used to have the option to turn them off.
    But turning off the old AVs (like the green and yellow original one) meant you would "completely lose track of enemies" ... sooooo?
    Also if you've been around that long you probably know that AVs have been exempt from consistency checking since launch, right? You can download and use whatever you want.. including the prior AV.

As for the reasoning, it's pretty simple. (even though no, I did not "pioneer this change" .. though I am very glad it occurred as its always been the best AV)
    1) Target contrast from the environment for better target acquisition and melee distance tracking
    2) Traversing geometry in darkness without needing to press a button

The prior one wasn't friendly to new players and it gave those "in the know" an advantage over others.. having to either press the F key when in dark scenarios OR being unable to navigate were both unnecessary. Additionally, the slight red highlight is important because it serves to assist in target acquisition and tracking.. as red is the most salient of all colors. That contrast is most needed when you are within melee range and your view is spinning hundreds of degrees in micro seconds, attempting to find and track that target, perfectly timing your mouse click. Huze's minimal is more functional and still preserves the environment art.

So if Vets know to use a better AV that works in all scenarios.. so why not just implement that for everyone??
    Gameplay trumps visuals, any day of the week. But if someone like you enjoys the visuals more ... well.. good thing you can easily use a mod on any server!

As for it being a change that goes against popular opinion.. it's always been the most favored AV, for years (one of many threads in the forum history professing love for it).

As for those caring about seeing enemy skins.. who the hell stops to look at skins when they are flashing across your screen in micro seconds when in range to appreciate the skins?? Distinct silhouettes are there for you to recognize and are not impacted. But you are not standing still and admiring their armor..
    As for being able to see your teammates' skins at your leisure.. I completely agree, and FYI the next patch (dropping tomorrow) won't highlight your teammates red anymore. (although gorges will be green)

On a personal note, I am surprised that the little amount of red highlighting really upsets you that much...
  • SintaxSintax Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10581Members
    "But turning off the old AVs (like the green and yellow original one) meant you would "completely lose track of enemies" ... sooooo?"
    Pre 299, I would turn off AV and there would still be outlines. Now when I turn it off there are no outlines so I lose track of enemies.

I appreciate the clarifications and replies though, I really just need to know my concerns are understood, and you guys made it clear that they are.

The pre-299 mod remi linked still doesn't return outlines to AV off, but I'll use that or another AV mod that is more visually appealing to me from here on out.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2016
    "But turning off the old AVs (like the green and yellow original one) meant you would "completely lose track of enemies" ... sooooo?"
    Pre 299, I would turn off AV and there would still be outlines. Now when I turn it off there are no outlines so I lose track of enemies.

I appreciate the clarifications and replies though, I really just need to know my concerns are understood, and you guys made it clear that they are.

The pre-299 mod remi linked still doesn't return outlines to AV off, but I'll use that or another AV mod that is more visually appealing to me from here on out.

You can set AV to off by default in the NS2+ options, where applicable. I hear what you're saying though. What I'd like to do, if I have time is:

- Make AV state persist across death, rather than get reset
    - Make AV off still have player outlines, but no glow
    - Figure out how to get rid of the pesky map sparkles