The Alien Vision change is a change for the worse

Comments

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    So is that the reason they messed with it again ??

Because turning it on/off was too hard/complex?

Please tell me I'm wrong...
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2016
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    The problem with the current AV is that it's ancient and doesn't include fixes to it that have been made in the past, like highlighting the skybox, and other various fixes. It was originally supposed to be this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375340416 that starts on, but it was modified by someone else originally the first time to what was pre-299, even though what is linked was the original approved version most people liked. It was designed with the intention of having it on is not detrimental in light areas but will help you in dark areas, without the need to turn it on and off. It was then again supposed to be changed back to what it originally was supposed to be (what was linked) but then again was changed to straight up huze minimal which contains bugs...
    I diffed what was in pre-299 with your steam workshop version and did not see any significant differences. Please if there are bugs with the vanilla implementation of Huze's point me to them / point out the fixes so I can investigate.
    Also the fact that you need to have NS2+ installed for it to work properly I will never understand. On vanilla NS2 when I reinstalled to see what they did with the AV, it started with no outlines, again, doesn't make any sense to me.
    This is incorrect. NS2+ is not needed. I'll just reset the default setting in NS2+ to avoid this confusion.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    ... most people liked. It was designed with the intention of having it on is not detrimental in light areas but will help you in dark areas, without the need to turn it on and off.

I was part of the most.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
    @Sintax
    Sintax wrote: »
    I dont see why having to turn AV on/off is a bad thing, I liked having the option to use it when it got dark or visibility got low. Now I have to use it 100% of the time. Again, I have no problem with Huze's minimal AV, I have a problem with the change when AV is off. Visibility is nerfed, and all the replies I get seem to be saying "just use AV 100% of the time" or "it's automatically on now" (even though it's apparently defaulted to OFF for anyone who has the game installed: most players have AV default to off every death).

I guess we'll never get marine outlines back and be stuck with being forced to use AV 100% of the time, but I hope the issue where it is defaulted to off is resolved at least...

Yea there's still a misunderstanding going on..
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO TURN IT OFF EVER
    What's wrong with AV working naturally in all circumstances - always providing marine outlines??
    (I don't get why you keep saying you don't have marine outlines, it should look like that picture i posted AT ALL TIMES unless you deliberately turn it off for some silly reason?)

You keep saying you are turning it off - so again, YOU DO NOT NEED TO TURN IT OFF EVER... it looks almost the same as what you had before that was considered "default" vision (it was actually modeled after Huze's, the one we have now!) and when you enter dark areas instead of having to press a button to navigate and losing marine outlines in the process - you now have marine outlines.
    It's a buff.

So do not turn it off - there's no need to do that to yourself, and having it on is no different than the default view* that you had last patch AND its better in the dark now.

sud674xt33na.jpg
    *You'll notice the only difference is that there's a slight bit more red on the enemy.

• alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    One problem with the alien vision is that you lose how the marine or weapon skins looks like.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    alster wrote: »
    One problem with the alien vision is that you lose how the marine or weapon skins looks like.

Lol is that a relevant info?
    It is if you bought skins.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    I'd like to see 2 different colors for model highlighting for aliens/marines teams if that's possible. Would help a lot during messy team fights.

Also I think using alien vision should cost energy or gradually blind aliens the brighter the room is, could add a new mechanic and otherwise the F key has no purpose.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It has some utility. Someone with elite assault skin is likely more skilled. I focus shadow skulks as is.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Funny, the alien vision is the only change I like so far out of all these other useless changes.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I'd like to see 2 different colors for model highlighting for aliens/marines teams if that's possible. Would help a lot during messy team fights.
    See: https://trello.com/c/IeEunCJS/251-301-teammates-and-gorges-are-now-colored-differently-from-enemies-in-alien-outlines-and-in-alien-vision
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts

This is actually one of the big things that were considered way in the past when changing AV, and the big reason why in the past they were reluctant to change AV, because seeing the model is important to UWE.
    edited June 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    It has some utility. Someone with elite assault skin is likely more skilled. I focus shadow skulks as is.
    True.. but sometimes it might be reversed and you get owned by the pro without skins because you attack the other one. :P

remi wrote: »
    See: https://trello.com/c/IeEunCJS/251-301-teammates-and-gorges-are-now-colored-differently-from-enemies-in-alien-outlines-and-in-alien-vision
    Imo the marine color is slightly too similar to the aliens, maybe more red, still a nice addition!
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited June 2016
    Can't i just always have Uke AV? Why are there not simply a few AV choices integrated into vanilla NS2 please? Something along those lines was announced once iirc.

Haven't been around here for ages but played some vanilla and the AV is just bad. Not since the Orange AV change have i felt sad about alien vision..

About an update ago i think i saw NS2+ integration mentioned. I thought great, now i can use my preferred AV all the time. But apparently it still only goes for NS2+ servers.

It's like AV should be as normal looking as possible, why? Aliens have Alien Vision. Personally i loved the before-Orange era.

Also, i only ever play Aliens so i'm biased.
    edited June 2016
    remi wrote: »

Green gorges ? OMG, only rookie gorges, CONCEDE !
    Maybe pick up another color ? Purple heart is nice, gorge work is a work of love <3
  • SintaxSintax Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10581Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Yea there's still a misunderstanding going on..
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO TURN IT OFF EVER
    What's wrong with AV working naturally in all circumstances - always providing marine outlines??
    (I don't get why you keep saying you don't have marine outlines, it should look like that picture i posted AT ALL TIMES unless you deliberately turn it off for some silly reason?)
    You impose "misunderstandings" a lot for not understanding my point yourself. I know I don't NEED to turn it off. I WANT to turn it off. You say that it looks "no different" in one breath and then say "oh well it's slightly more red" in the next. I don't like the red. I used to be able to get rid of it by turning AV off, but now I can't. I can tell you pioneered this change by your defense of it, although you won't explain the reasons for the change. I can only call that unfortunate at this point, and concede that this is another change that goes against popular opinion upon the whims of one or a few people.

Sure, I don't need to turn it off, but I want the option. Now the option is gone forever, and normal alien view (without blood-red enemies) is useless. You say we used to "lose enemy outlines" when switching AV on/off, but I dont even know what that means. I never had a problem when switching the view. Now I do have a problem, because turning it off means you completely lose track of enemies. Yeah. I know I don't need to turn it off. But guess what, now you NEED to turn it on. You have forced the player to do something they didn't use to have to do.

I honestly don't know why a developer would think it's a good idea to start taking options away from the player.
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I am more for implementing crazy's configurable AV into vanilla so everyone can have the one he wants to have (this + some presets)

Would be nice but it has a few issues to fix beforehand, when using thicker peripheral edges there's an ellipse artifacts around the center, also the skybox edge are visible etc.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Sintax Love that first screenshot :P
    Were you around in the old days, when there was the green-and-orange AV? You would have hated that one. It was literally all green and orange.
  • SintaxSintax Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10581Members
    Yeah I've been here through all the AV's. Never cared how they looked because I used to have the option to turn them off.
    From a business standpoint, obscuring the appearance of skins will negatively affect future dlc skin sales.
    From a business standpoint, obscuring the appearance of skins will negatively affect future dlc skin sales.

Unless you design Tron like skins .... No , please don't, ever !

But, if you detect a rookie with high K/D and steep hive scoring, can you automatically land a smurf skin on the aforementioned player ?? :p
    edited June 2016
    zeep wrote: »
    Can't i just always have Uke AV? Why are there not simply a few AV choices integrated into vanilla NS2 please? Something along those lines was announced once iirc. ... I thought great, now i can use my preferred AV all the time. But apparently it still only goes for NS2+ servers.
    Why don't you just subscribe to it and mount it in game? If you do that you can have it on any server. You don't need a NS2+ option to be able to do this.
    Sintax wrote: »
    Now the option is gone forever, and normal alien view (without blood-red enemies) is useless. ... I honestly don't know why a developer would think it's a good idea to start taking options away from the player.
    You can still have the old AV... I don't understand if people just don't know this option is there, or if there is some issue with it that we don't know of? Please let me know.
    You should be able to subscribe to the mod at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688075967 and then mount it on the MODS menu in game.
    I think I'm going to update the preview image to first one Sintax posted.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »

But, if you detect a rookie with high K/D and steep hive scoring, can you automatically land a smurf skin on the aforementioned player ?? :p

It will actually work like this.
    Anyone with a hive skill greater than or equal to 2000 will be forced to play with a steam controller. Once you reach or pass 2000 hive skill the game will no longer accept keyboard and mouse input. It will only work with a steam controller. This feature will not go away, even if you drop below 2000 hive skill. It is permanent once it is set.

If any player with less than 50 hours recorded in hive is accused of being a smurf by three unique players then he will be forced to use a steam controller the same was as mentioned above. To do this, ns2 will be using an advanced regex code that will parse register if the player's name and the word smurf are used in the same chat message.

Valve will be paying UWE to add this feature. There is no need to complain. This will fund development.
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Wake wrote: »

It will actually work like this.
    Anyone with a hive skill greater than or equal to 2000 will be forced to play with a steam controller. Once you reach or pass 2000 hive skill the game will no longer accept keyboard and mouse input. It will only work with a steam controller. This feature will not go away, even if you drop below 2000 hive skill. It is permanent once it is set.

If any player with less than 50 hours recorded in hive is accused of being a smurf by three unique players then he will be forced to use a steam controller the same was as mentioned above. To do this, ns2 will be using an advanced regex code that will parse register if the player's name and the word smurf are used in the same chat message.

Valve will be paying UWE to add this feature. There is no need to complain. This will fund development.

I don't know but I think once you start recycling your own mediocre posts, its time to call it quits.:expressionless:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2269086#Comment_2269086
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375106032

;-)

Just kidding... my favorite is always and has been the very first, original, EGA vision:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201163952

I don't know why, maybe it's nostalgia, but I really dislike the trend to have "minimal" alien visions that are always on. It's supposed to be wild, primal, and different, and, like the flashlight, have some drawbacks to have it always on... Truth is I always played with AV on 90% of the time, even with Fanta, but to me that is part of the charm of playing aliens...
    edited June 2016
    If only it were that simple @NotPaLaGi. I have been recycling my posts for a few years now. If anything that is one of my least recycled posts. The one you linked was not even the first time I made that post. You linked a recycled post. :frowning:

I agree I spend too much time on these forums, and post more than I should, but I don't plan on stopping soon. You said I need to listen more, but I actually read most everything that comes through these forums. You can judge that how you will, but it is what I do.

Too stay sort of on topic. I play with alien vision on all the time.
    If only it were that simple @NotPaLaGi. I have been recycling my posts for a few years now. If anything that is one of my least recycled posts. The one you linked was not even the first time I made that post. You linked a recycled post. :frowning:

He missed the underlying sustainable development concept :D