What should be done about the health bar?

Comments

• WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    I was able to track an alien not in my sight but was under fire of another marine ... I wish it could go away :(

It reminds me when the stoopids flags appeared above heads in Day OF Defeat when they went retail.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    @joshhh

In my experiences finding a game that isn't "cancerous" with a matchmaking system is a billion times harder than with a browser.

You have to click play now, pray you get into a good server, back out when it's a crap server, then click play now again, and repeat that process like 20 times minimum.. Then you might be placed in a decent game..

I know I'm the minority as most gamers these days don't care if it's 900 ping and full of toxic hackers.. If they clicked play now and got put into a game they're happy..

I just wondered.. So that's enough derailing, back on topic..

I'd be happy if they just tweaked the bars to remove the tracking assist at this point.

I'd be really curious to hear your thoughts on the "play now" implementation in ns2. I think ultimately the experience comes down to the quality of the implementation, and most of them probably aren't that good. If it picks a server similar to what you would pick yourself, then it's a huge time saver, but if it doesn't it's really frustrating if there isn't a server browser as a fallback. Give it a try a few times and see if it doesn't change your mind.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    just join the right communitys guys... hakuna matata
  • ydyydy Join Date: 2014-10-21 Member: 199067Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    People get to wear their rank like a badge of honor... and it usually causes artificially inflated egos. [...] If they kept it hidden and only used it for shuffle and 'play now'... it would have been better.
    OT but no, the scoreboard per-player Hive skill should not be hidden. The display should be opt-in, or barring that at least opt-out like the badges they show up alongside.

(Don't even make it possible, though, to turn off scoreboard per-team Hive skill. Several server ops when given this gun are apparently happy to shoot off their own feet.)
  • lhooqlhooq 666 Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210940Members
    What should be done about the health bar?
    Ignore the desires of 77% of the community.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I was hiding behind a wall near marine spawn (shipping on Tram, in tunnels), where nobody ever looks at when exiting, obviously not in range of obs, dude spawned and walked out of base already aimed at me and killed me right away. I, of course, screamed "OMG HAXXX!!!11", but he explained that he saw my healthbar when spawning.
    This sucks.
    @xen32 It's a brand new ant-spawncamp feature. you wish they had that idea in many games lol ! Spawn with wallhack for 5 seconds.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    xen32 wrote: »
    I was hiding behind a wall near marine spawn (shipping on Tram, in tunnels), where nobody ever looks at when exiting, obviously not in range of obs, dude spawned and walked out of base already aimed at me and killed me right away. I, of course, screamed "OMG HAXXX!!!11", but he explained that he saw my healthbar when spawning.
    This sucks.
    If that is true that is a bug.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nordic wrote: »
    xen32 wrote: »
    This sucks.
    If that is true that is a bug.

I recall one time when I was spawning in Warehouse, I saw healthbar of skulk in a vent under it. So it must be true.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    If Counter Strike had health bars it wouldn't be as bad as it is in NS2. If Counter Strike had a built in wall hack you could turn on or off then it would be as bad not to mention ruining the look of the game. Good thing CS didn't want to make it easier for everyone.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is unintended behavior. You should only see health bars while for a short while after you damaged an enemy. The health bars will also dissappear when the enemy goes behind cover.

Do you have any reproduction steps? A video would be perfect.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    That this has not only been considered for implementation, but implemented, pushed, then not reverted despite outcry is just depressing. I get back from a long trip away from home, fire up my desktop to play ns2 and find that casual/stubborn/crazy people have taken over NS2 development.

If i could take back my 3 extra purchases and donations to this game i would, because just the prospect of UWE letting this go down is extremely shitty.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Best thing about health bars is you always know when you can get that rifle butt finisher on the skulk
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    Health bars have led to a number of calculated rifle butt finishers for me, and therefore I want them to stay forever.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited June 2016
    I could imagine health bar being shown only to the commanders. MAX. But I think it should be removed altogether.

EDIT:
    Regarding the rifle butt comments:
    Yes, I see more buttkills (haha) since HP bars and it's fun! But that's the only pro. It could be substituted with a simple effect which tags an alien for the attacker when he has really low health (adjusted by class). But not by displaying the exact amount of health
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    You know what isn't fun, rifle-butt kills that aren't rare af.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2016
    Sgt_Sass wrote: »
    Health bars have led to a number of calculated rifle butt finishers for me, and therefore I want them to stay forever.

Pfft, I used to do those regularly before you got spoonfed information about the enemy's health

@Frozen remember leap kills, now those were epic... I was told we can't have them :cry:
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    More butts for the plebs! Butts for everyone!
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Leap actually had alot of damage hidden in it if you could land it all haha
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Frozen wrote: »

I'm sorry, what?

Leap had damage?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2016
    coolitic wrote: »
    Frozen wrote: »

I'm sorry, what?

Leap had damage?

GoldSrc Natural Selection. And it indeed had unintentional hidden damage as in you could for example bugdamage a resource tower down to 0HP within a few seconds if at the correct angle to keep pushing forward against your target. Negating the one hit damage and actually doing continuous damage based on servertick/framerate. I recall it never being truly fixed right, just significantly harder?

Beware:
    ...\half-life\ns\sprites\640aw1.spr
    ...\half-life\ns\sound\weapons\leaphit1.wav
    ...\half-life\ns\sound\weapons\leapkill.wav

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    @coolitic yarp! kinematic brute force
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    How acceptable would you find the alternative where for example crosshair colour indicates a rough estimate of target's HP? Let's say some parts of crosshair go from green to red as the target's health goes down. If you're not hitting any identifiable target, the crosshair damage indicators are either invisible or appear just plain white or whatever the default colour is.

It doesn't allow the HP baiting tactics and such that rely on completely hidden HP info, but it removes the visual target location aid almost completely and reduces HUD clutter in general. Would that be an acceptable compromise or still a total fun killer?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bacillus wrote: »
    How acceptable would you find the alternative where for example crosshair colour indicates a rough estimate of target's HP? Let's say some parts of crosshair go from green to red as the target's health goes down. If you're not hitting any identifiable target, the crosshair damage indicators are either invisible or appear just plain white or whatever the default colour is.

It doesn't allow the HP baiting tactics and such that rely on completely hidden HP info, but it removes the visual target location aid almost completely and reduces HUD clutter in general. Would that be an acceptable compromise or still a total fun killer?

Still terrible.
    If only the skins could show wear an damage !
    I'd buy that in a split second.

We'd get the info and enhance the immersion without providing any kind of hack.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited June 2016
    Bacillus wrote: »

Still terrible.

Agreed, but still better.

Essentially, I think the current implementation is worse than terrible
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can we just go back to the way it's worked since release? You know, the way that works well, is fun, and has more depth of gameplay?
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Down with the casual direction of this game. Share the knowledge of how to get better at the game, don't make it overwatch.
    coolitic wrote: »
    Essentially, I think the current implementation is worse than terrible

It's worrible ?
    0bso8d87t4rn.gif