Unplayable Until Update

nettonetto canada Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217126Members
edited May 2016 in Subnautica on Consoles
Man i wish i could play but i am tired of having to restart hours of gameplay because of bugs and glitches , i understand that you guys where late and wanted to release your game in April but you shouldn't have released this right now in this state , this might hurt the sales instead of making you guys more money, I don't even know why i got this after playing the trial seeing how horrible the frame rate was but i really wanted to play it more because i like the setting and love the building , crafting mechanic's and of course the survival aspect but here are my main issues and why i will wait until its up to par with the PC version

1. frame Rate just play your game you can't miss it , gets even worst once you get a vehicle <--- just with this i don't know how you judged that it was releasable on Xbox One
2. Items Disapearing after login back in that i spent hours gathering
3. Magical Floating Objects for me i can't seem to swim away from floating doors every restart
4. Menu and Hud Text Vanishing not displaying correctly
5. O2 Warning Sounds Mutes out this wouldn't really bother me if i wasn't always so high and concentrated gathering stuff and forget to check my oxygen lvl lol....
6. Farming and all the other cool update gizmos

Anyways there is allot more graphical bugs like glitching out of map , i once was shot back into space with the life pod , but from what i have seen from Youtube Videos on Subnautica right now on the PC the game is great and this is why i will wait until you guys get this up to par with the PC version because i don't want to hate my experience like this version is doing right now.

Can we get are hopes up for early June?

Comments

• deadmoochiedeadmoochie u.s Join Date: 2015-04-05 Member: 203000Members
    i hope so i love the game it self but these bugs...and also without all theh cool farm stuff theres not much reason to build a base other then storage
  • Trollolol07Trollolol07 France (Jellyshroom Biome) Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215840Members
    netto wrote: »

1. frame Rate just play your game you can't miss it , gets even worst once you get a vehicle <--- just with this i don't know how you judged that it was releasable on Xbox One

agreed
  • sPeaRr0sPeaRr0 Canada Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215153Members
    I've noticed that if the fps drops out, reload your game. It helps for a while. Most glitches can be corrected this way (stuff not rendering or showing where it shouldn't be). Must be a memory dump issue. The game has become fully playable now that the dev console has been discovered. If something bugs, most of the time you can either "cheat" or reload and all is well. SAVE OFTEN so if you do happen across a game breaker you don't lose all your progress. Totally worth the little bit of hassle to play an Awesome game. There hasn't been a preview release on xbox that has done much better in week one in terms of quality, the other big two (ark and elite) had similar if not worse issues with NO work around.
  • Bam1500Bam1500 Plainfield, Il Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217363Members
    Totally agree with you Netto, I have hit all those problems plus some major game breaking bugs; but honestly you did the right thing purchasing the game despite seeing the issues in your trial period.

Your support for the Devs will help get this to the desirable state we all want. I was pretty disappointed this weekend after 15+ hours of gameplay my world suddenly disappeared on me and left me in a empty oceanic gameworld haha, it was really creepy having only the Escape Pod left in an endless ocean.

I've hopped back onto the PC version for now and will probably return to Xbox after some major fixes. Love the PC, but I also love having the couch and controller experience option on console! Looking forward to the future developments!
  • TheCanisDirusTheCanisDirus usa Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216939Members
    Bam1500 wrote: »
    Totally agree with you Netto, I have hit all those problems plus some major game breaking bugs; but honestly you did the right thing purchasing the game despite seeing the issues in your trial period.

Your support for the Devs will help get this to the desirable state we all want. I was pretty disappointed this weekend after 15+ hours of gameplay my world suddenly disappeared on me and left me in a empty oceanic gameworld haha, it was really creepy having only the Escape Pod left in an endless ocean.

I've hopped back onto the PC version for now and will probably return to Xbox after some major fixes. Love the PC, but I also love having the couch and controller experience option on console! Looking forward to the future developments!

Oh i'd flip out! Are you going to use console commands to get everything back to where you were? Can you even?
  • nettonetto canada Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217126Members
    I just freaking want to play so bad lol i am on here every day checking to see when i will be able to enjoy the game...gahhh!
  • KarzeeKarzee UK Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216873Members
    To be honest I haven't touched the game since day two of release. I liked what I saw and pleased I bought it but there's no point investing the time to play it only to risk losing stuff through bugs. I'm glad to hear this is an early build and that things will improve at some point but until it does I won't play it nor can I recommend it to others.
    Karzee wrote: »
    To be honest I haven't touched the game since day two of release. I liked what I saw and pleased I bought it but there's no point investing the time to play it only to risk losing stuff through bugs. I'm glad to hear this is an early build and that things will improve at some point but until it does I won't play it nor can I recommend it to others.

same here my man sad tho, great game just not right now.
    I think some of you are missing the point of the early preview. There is no claim that it is even remotely ready and you are well warned before purchase of this fact. It being a game preview we could lose our stuff one or more times easily before the final release since the game is in development and not the final product. The game is not unplayable just full of (as should be expected) crashes, bugs, frame rate issues, balance issues, getting to end game quickly, lack of a main story cause that would spoil it way before final release, unpopulated areas, lack of loot in some spots, so on and so forth because again, in developement. The idea behind a game preview is early access at a discounted rate because when this game goes final full game release it will be costing far more then $20 and in turn our early support helps with developement, catching perhaps thousands of bugs and exploits a small developement team may not catch, through a whole community of players giving feedback and pushing the limits of the game, and possibly even giving ideas that may make it into the game through new upgrades, vehicles, missions, so on and so forth and you have a chance to be a part of that.

Course some of it can start to get frustrating at times, it's not a full game after all, I have experienced many well known bugs, lost hours of game time due to crashes, but I know what I signed on for and send feedback of things I like and things that are messing up. The PC is ahead of us and many of us repeat bugs already known about and fixed on PC but sometimes we name off new bugs the PC community has not even noticed yet to, benefits of many players pushing boundaries or just being in the right spot and time to catch a rarer bug. If you bought the game expecting to treat it as a normal finished game for you to just play in peace you certainly should wait maybe all the way till it's completed because I am certain this game will be in development for quite some time but always improving.

The point in purchasing this preview is to take an active role in possibly contributing in small but important ways to its development so they can put out the best game they can. In turn we get to see it evolve, sometimes in ways thanks to our own suggestions, play with all the new Bells and whistles as they come and break them if we can so they can plug the holes and to top it all off, we get the final game at the price we paid and not the price it will release for. It's going to be rough at times and possibly some updates will flat out break things.

Dude some games are in early preview (access) for 4++ years , some will never see the light of day of a release date and have received more money then triple A titles and this is a PORT from PC so for me this was rushed out i don't mind supporting but don't go out and say you feel confident enough that Xbox owners will have a great playable experience when it plays like this..... Just be real with your community
    edited May 2016
    Oh i'd flip out! Are you going to use console commands to get everything back to where you were? Can you even?

Nah, no console commands yet. I was upset by the data loss, but honestly I've restarted on PC already half a dozen times due to their big updates that a restart is refreshing from time to time.
    The game gets more exciting after each update with new things to see and do and after taking a few weeks/months break from the game.

Although odd to find some excitement from data loss, I did enjoyed idea that I was warped into a parallel universe suddenly.
    I was making a return trip from the floating island to the escape pod when suddenly everything was just open ocean without me realizing. My thermometer dropped to a static 0 degrees Celsius and time seemed to cease.
    I traveled as far as I could in all directions from my escape pod in the Seamoth hoping to find something, but it was all just ocean!
    I felt I was in a plot twist from JJ Abrams, stuck in an Oceanic limbo!

I'll be back on the Xbox version some day, just going to give it some time.
  • PBSF_PendragonPBSF_Pendragon UK Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217427Members
    Oh, according to this thread there are console commands, I had no idea! Guess I'll have to see what it can do for me.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/142464/cosole-commands#latest
  • Dirk_PerfectDirk_Perfect Kentucky Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217411Members
    Netto, you make it sound as if they are snake oil salesman trying to pass fake cures off on unsuspecting desperate people. Haha. Even if the game fails to make the final cut, just the stuff they have accomplished so far on PC alone is worth the $20 so you will get your money's worth, this game clearly has some major love by the developers, it's their baby and they are not half assing it. Also that is a big claim to say some companies are essentially snake oil salesman and are somehow making more money then triple A titles. Cite these companies and some statistical data of these supposed companies giving us no game and boasting of better sales then a triple A title or I will have to call bull. Also this company has been around since early 2000 apparently so I will need you to cite some past examples of them tricking the gaming community for a quick score before I jump on board your train.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We've been pretty upfront that there are performance issues, and that the current preview version is months old compared to the PC version.

The next update is coming. Slower than we'd all like yes, but we'll post about it online as soon as it's ready. It's not months away.

I don't think you guys even need to. It's game preview, the whole idea about game preview is that it's there to help work out bugs and we know that the game will be riddled with them at the start... and that (I'm sure won't be the case) it might not even release.

Same with elite dangerous, ark: survival evolved. our clan have been heavily involved with a lot of game preview and it's always annoyed me when people start up. at least I've not seen anybody demanding a refund because of a server wipe... that's a favourite.
  • IceTheManIceTheMan Michigan Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217441Members
    I think some of you are missing the point of the early preview. There is no claim that it is even remotely ready and you are well warned before purchase of this fact. It being a game preview we could lose our stuff one or more times easily before the final release since the game is in development and not the final product. The game is not unplayable just full of (as should be expected) crashes, bugs, frame rate issues, balance issues, getting to end game quickly, lack of a main story cause that would spoil it way before final release, unpopulated areas, lack of loot in some spots, so on and so forth because again, in developement. The idea behind a game preview is early access at a discounted rate because when this game goes final full game release it will be costing far more then $20 and in turn our early support helps with developement, catching perhaps thousands of bugs and exploits a small developement team may not catch, through a whole community of players giving feedback and pushing the limits of the game, and possibly even giving ideas that may make it into the game through new upgrades, vehicles, missions, so on and so forth and you have a chance to be a part of that.

Course some of it can start to get frustrating at times, it's not a full game after all, I have experienced many well known bugs, lost hours of game time due to crashes, but I know what I signed on for and send feedback of things I like and things that are messing up. The PC is ahead of us and many of us repeat bugs already known about and fixed on PC but sometimes we name off new bugs the PC community has not even noticed yet to, benefits of many players pushing boundaries or just being in the right spot and time to catch a rarer bug. If you bought the game expecting to treat it as a normal finished game for you to just play in peace you certainly should wait maybe all the way till it's completed because I am certain this game will be in development for quite some time but always improving.

The point in purchasing this preview is to take an active role in possibly contributing in small but important ways to its development so they can put out the best game they can. In turn we get to see it evolve, sometimes in ways thanks to our own suggestions, play with all the new Bells and whistles as they come and break them if we can so they can plug the holes and to top it all off, we get the final game at the price we paid and not the price it will release for. It's going to be rough at times and possibly some updates will flat out break things.

Dude some games are in early preview (access) for 4++ years , some will never see the light of day of a release date and have received more money then triple A titles and this is a PORT from PC so for me this was rushed out i don't mind supporting but don't go out and say you feel confident enough that Xbox owners will have a great playable experience when it plays like this..... Just be real with your community

Okay first off this is a console not a PC.. This "early access" model that has seen its rise in the past few years are PC mainly based mentality of games. When a console owner purchases a game they are not wanting to deal with this many bugs and issues. Yes we where warned and yes it is understandable to have issues most triple A titles have issues now days. However the fact that we have to accept it, is not okay. This new "early access" game broke mentality is not acceptable at all on a console. I have been in the video game industry for over 12 years now and have been very successful. As a developer, how can you even release this title early or a broken title that is this bad? Is it a funding issues? Whatever happen to basic Q/A? I play my console to not deal with this because I get my fair share of broken games on Steam.

Now for 20 dollars I am getting my value so that is not the issue however I will soon leave the game because it is broke and never return as so many other console games ask for my attention. How are you going to hold my attention with a broke title? My game freezes every time I try to get onto my vehicle builder. I have built everything I have access to with no chance of going any further in this title. Not to mention hours of game play lost because it crashes if someone sends me a message on Xbox or I join a party and god forbid if I forget to save every 5 mins.

You have a solid title here as you already know from the hype on Steam. However you can not treat this console community the same as the PC. We do mind frame rate issues and minor issues however this game is broke and not slightly broke, its broke. I wish you and your team success as they are all very talented people. I am confused on why you rushed such a promising title and kill hopes before giving the game a fair shot. Many people that are PC minded will stay and play through the bugs. True console guys are already tired of playing issue plagued triple A titles. I highly doubt you will get people to stay with a broke indie title. Yes you can say games like Ark have proven me wrong, however it has a unique multiplayer element and also was no where near as broke as this game as I never loss hours of gameplay or came to a spot that froze every time I accessed it.

I hope the big issues are fixed very soon as I will not recommend this game to any friends in the current state. Sad part is I really love the idea and features of this game just not sure I love them enough to give it more of my time in this current state.

Best Wishes,
    Ice
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    Awesome, imaginative, NOT another shooter. I purchased this game as soon as I could manage and am happy to do so! Even in the current state there are some issues I have had to address including blueprint issues, freeze and crash, loss of game data or in game supplies. Save often after completing a task and if needed use the debug commands to ensure access to bugged blueprints and it is totally worth the $20. The creators are very clear before purchase this is a very early version and not even the one they had hoped to provide at this point but you have to start somewhere. I look forward with great anticipation to upcoming additions and stability updates. THANK YOU for letting us into your game development process, this game promises to be spectacular when stabilized.
  • sPeaRr0sPeaRr0 Canada Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215153Members
    @Dirk_Perfect couldn't have said it better. Game preview and it DOES work, it hasn't melted my console and I've got a solid 20 plus hours in. @Obraxis and Uwe keep up the good work. It was worth the wait.
  • AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    edited May 2016
    Hey guys, PC gamer here, just so you know PC version had the same issue a few builds ago, even on a powerful rig, the Seamoth was almost useless because of frame drops. But they fixed up it nicely in the newer builds.
  • cheshchesh uk Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217353Members
    edited May 2016
    IceTheMan wrote: »

Okay first off this is a console not a PC.. This "early access" model that has seen its rise in the past few years are PC mainly based mentality of games. When a console owner purchases a game they are not wanting to deal with this many bugs and issues. Yes we where warned and yes it is understandable to have issues most triple A titles have issues now days. However the fact that we have to accept it, is not okay. This new "early access" game broke mentality is not acceptable at all on a console. I have been in the video game industry for over 12 years now and have been very successful. As a developer, how can you even release this title early or a broken title that is this bad? Is it a funding issues? Whatever happen to basic Q/A? I play my console to not deal with this because I get my fair share of broken games on Steam.

Now for 20 dollars I am getting my value so that is not the issue however I will soon leave the game because it is broke and never return as so many other console games ask for my attention. How are you going to hold my attention with a broke title? My game freezes every time I try to get onto my vehicle builder. I have built everything I have access to with no chance of going any further in this title. Not to mention hours of game play lost because it crashes if someone sends me a message on Xbox or I join a party and god forbid if I forget to save every 5 mins.

You have a solid title here as you already know from the hype on Steam. However you can not treat this console community the same as the PC. We do mind frame rate issues and minor issues however this game is broke and not slightly broke, its broke. I wish you and your team success as they are all very talented people. I am confused on why you rushed such a promising title and kill hopes before giving the game a fair shot. Many people that are PC minded will stay and play through the bugs. True console guys are already tired of playing issue plagued triple A titles. I highly doubt you will get people to stay with a broke indie title. Yes you can say games like Ark have proven me wrong, however it has a unique multiplayer element and also was no where near as broke as this game as I never loss hours of gameplay or came to a spot that froze every time I accessed it.

I hope the big issues are fixed very soon as I will not recommend this game to any friends in the current state. Sad part is I really love the idea and features of this game just not sure I love them enough to give it more of my time in this current state.

Best Wishes,
    Ice

As far as ark goes, many people were told by their xboxes after a recent ark update that their saves were corrupt and needed to be locally deleted and redownloaded from the cloud again to continue play. When people did this they didnt get their saves back and months of work on their characters was gone in the process.

As a console gamer myself i disagree with what you have said about the preview program on xbox as i believe it is a good platform for developers to gain funding for a game that people clearly want to play.
    There is also something special about watching a game go through its many changes and revisions before final release and to be honest its a cheaper way to buy a game in the first place. I know after all the bugs and glitches im still going play this unique game and i cant wait for future updates. Demanding an answer on how the developers are going to hold your attention though is a bit of a childish thing to say. They dont need your attention or your 20 dollars considering the amount of people who have already bought it. You also dont have to accept the bugs and glitches. just stop opening your wallet and spending money on things you wont like after an hour of play (there is a trail of the game after all)
    As for being a developer yourself you have very little understanding that this Preview Program model is a brilliant way for smaller game companies to get their foot in the door on the console and generate income to continue development of a title
  • JesmasterzeroJesmasterzero UK Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217425Members
    I agree with Chesh. The way I see it is that if the Xbox didn't have the preview program, we would probably never ever see a release of some pretty special indie titles. At the end of the day, we know they aren't giving us the game out of pure love - financials are the most important factor when deciding to bring a game to a specific platform.

I'm led to believe that the team working on Subnautica is small. To get the game to a point where it's ready for release will take a long, long time for them. Cash flow is incredibly important, at least if you want to be able to pay your staff, rent etc. If it wasn't for the preview program, they wouldn't be able to spend the time porting it to a fully finished state so it would probably never be released.

Besides, it's fun being part of a community this early in its life. We get to see a game grow and develop and even help the direction. At the end of the day, no-one put a gun to our heads and forced us to buy the game. If you don't like game preview, you don't need to buy any of the early access games. I will wholeheartedly accept that some games in early access are a bit of joke and will probably never be finished (looking at you DayZ), but as long as the devs are actively updating the game and making progress, I think it's a great way to bring games to life that would never be able to exist otherwise. I would imagine MS have some fairly strict criteria for what games they bring to preview aswell. There are 2 real success stories in Ark and The Long Dark, so it's not like we're getting shafted by some conmen after a quick buck.
  • EverReddyEverReddy UK Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217355Members
    edited May 2016
    When a console owner purchases a game they are not wanting to deal with this many bugs and issues. Yes we where warned and yes it is understandable to have issues most triple A titles have issues now days. However the fact that we have to accept it, is not okay.

So you acknowledge you were warned and say it's understandable to have issues, but that it's not okay that you have to accept it. That kind of complaint is somewhat akin to reading the warnings on a bottle of bleach, drinking it anyway, then complaining that it did exactly what the warning said it would. You do have one good point though, you don't have to accept it. And the point where you don't have to accept it is just after you've read the warnings, but BEFORE hitting the button that says you have read and understood the warnings and wish to continue anyway. Should you choose to continue with your purchase after that point, you have by definition, accepted them.

This new "early access" game broke mentality is not acceptable at all on a console. I have been in the video game industry for over 12 years now and have been very successful. As a developer, how can you even release this title early or a broken title that is this bad? Is it a funding issues? Whatever happen to basic Q/A? I play my console to not deal with this because I get my fair share of broken games on Steam.

If you don't think it's acceptable, then why did you hand your money over after reading all the warnings about it not being a complete game? You keep saying it's 'broke', but it's not even finished yet! And as someone with such an extensive experience as a developer, surely you can appreciate the value of gaining huge amounts of user feedback during development rather than after release? And again, if you don't want to deal with this kind of thing on your console, why did you ignore all the warnings and carry on anyway? No one forced you and you can't say you were duped.

At the end of the day you were given ample warning that the game is highly unstable, full of bugs and in an unfinished state. If you didn't want to deal with that (which is totally fine, many people don't, regardless of platform) you should have held onto your money and waited for it's final release should that come to pass, as we all hope it will.
    edited May 2016

Okay first off this is a console not a PC.. This "early access" model that has seen its rise in the past few years are PC mainly based mentality of games. When a console owner purchases a game they are not wanting to deal with this many bugs and issues. Yes we where warned and yes it is understandable to have issues most triple A titles have issues now days. However the fact that we have to accept it, is not okay.

Are you serious? I think you need to take a step back, read up more on game preview and the warning which comes with it firstly when you purchase the game and subsequently every time you boot up the game

This is exactly what game preview is for. the Games are riddled with bugs.

Are you one of the people who would demand a refund if development stalled and crashed and the game never saw release?

For reference, I am in no way "PC minded", I never play on PC (barring Commandos, theme hospital and roller coaster tycoon) and always on console... but the game isn't "released" it's in game preview, quite clearly. Discounted, available to play in the very early stages and is entirely there so the community can help the developers.

You say "Whatever happen to basic Q/A"...

This IS basic Q/A
  • IceTheManIceTheMan Michigan Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217441Members
    To be perfectly clear, I never said it was not worth my money I spent. I also said I read the warnings and played the game anyway. As I have played the other early release titles and none of them felt this broke. I just can not understand the new mentality of "Early Release" you (the developer) obviously by the comments above, turn away gamers that would have loved the title. I have released titles in over 29 countries on the PC, each a slightly different build to match each market. We where an indie company that went from 13 people to 250 over just a couple years, I was there. It is hard to get users to play your game, it is even harder to keep them, that is a major challenge and the market is getting worse.

It is a great premise and maybe I am just old school but using the consumer to do the work for you that you should have paid someone to do professionally (Q/A) is not good business. Now some of you have taken me wrong here as this game is not new. It has been on the PC for some time. So you are saying it is fine that they had a better completed game on the PC and than released versions back on the XBOX? As a console gamer you are fine with this?

I feel a few of you think I am complaining about my money and would asked for a refund and you are 100% wrong. I understood the warnings and expected bugs and game play issues. I have never experienced anything to this level of broke. I also feel you guys need to understand what flood gates you are opening up here for your console to have broken titles on it and make it more of a PC than a console. Bottom line my only point here is that this game was not even to the pre-release point for a console and how Microsoft approved it was surprising. I also wanted to understand the mentality of losing users before you even get to show them the joy of playing this title.

However I am not bashing the game only showing my concerns. As I said these guys are a very talented team of developers, I have been following them for awhile. I expected more from them and maybe they will prove me wrong "I really hope they do". Now I consult for a living because great minds like this just seem to lose on the business side of gaming contentiously. Before you go all defensive on me community... What I mean by that is you are losing people even with a warning that you could have had a very good grip on. There is a huge market for this game and you just cut some of it off. Ask yourself did Minecraft release on Xbox with the game this broken? Even though it was way behind the PC launch it was very playable in its early release days. You have the ability to hit Minecraft money. Instead you are settling for indie funds.

I really wish this title success and hope you do very well in the upcoming months. Good luck to you and your team as I can not move forward with the game until major updates happen and I really want this title to do well.

Best wishes,
    Ice
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members
    See why I don't play in experimental version?
    Oh my dear lord you're like a broken record

Ask yourself did Minecraft release on Xbox with the game this broken?

No. they did not. Because they did not release minecraft in game preview, they just released it as a game. A full, launched, complete title... NOT a game preview.

Please go back and read up on game preview, what game preview means, and the warnings which yuo get with all games under game preview, because you are utterly missing the point of it
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
    @IceTheMan The games industry has been through a period of change the last 10 years. It's now accepted practice to put games through Early Access/ Game preview programs. While I admit a lot of Game Devs don't seem to do this right, I believe by being open and involving our community as much as we are, it is helping us develop the game into being something better than it could ever be without this. Subnautica would not have been what it is today without community involvement in it's development. I'm not sure what you expected from an Early Access/Preview version of a game, as this is pre-alpha. Being a game developer yourself, I'm sure your games in pre-alpha were very much in a similar state. It's totally fine to return later on during our development, and we have actively encouraged people to only buy our game IF they think it's in a good state for them.

Sometimes, games developers don't have all the answers. You used to design a game, keep it quiet for years and hope that the public like it. But there is now an alternate way to develop games; right in public view. One which we as a company embrace. People can enjoy our game and help us, or they can wait for the final version. It's up to them, but we hope people do join us on this journey as every voice, bug report and forum post matters. We might not reply to everything, but we do read almost everything.
  • EverReddyEverReddy UK Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217355Members
    edited May 2016
    @IceTheMan You keep using the word 'broke', but that implies it should be working but isn't. This is a pre-alpha game in development, so of course some things aren't going to work, because they're not finished. If everything worked it wouldn't be a preview.

As for turning people away, I can firmly say that there's a very good chance I'd never have bought it had it not been for the preview programme. Much of my gaming is multi-player, so I'm very picky about the single player games I buy and probably wouldn't have given Subnautica much of a look. As it was though, I thought I'd give the 1 hour trial a go (something you don't get with final release titles) and I was instantly hooked. Yes it's not perfect, yes it has bugs, but I'm actually really excited to support and be involved in this game even at such an early stage.

Back when I started gaming you bought a game and got what you got, so developers had to make sure the product worked. Many years later, with the dawn of home internet, developers (or their marketing departments at least) started getting sloppy and releasing games full of bugs in the knowledge that they could just chuck out a patch later. This has become more and more the norm, with even the biggest studios shipping games that are bordering on unplayable without a day 1 patch. The plus side of this though is that to try and avoid such issues, developers started getting players involved in beta testing. Yes the game might not look great, crash and have bugs, but that's the sort of thing that they were trying to iron out. Personally I see early access as an evolution of that. You try a demo of the game for free, and at the end of that time, if you like it, you can pay a reduced amount for that game in exchange for your input and putting up with a few bugs. So I get the game at a discounted price AND I get to give some input and feedback which may very well help shape the final product. I call that a win-win.

And I'm not a developer (so feel free to correct me here), but won't all the extra income from people supporting the preview, along with all their collective feedback right at this early(ish) stage of development help the developers make the game truly as good as it can be when it is finally released? Maybe I'm wrong, but I would have thought most developers would love to have a huge cash injection and mountains of player feedback right when they can use it to help shape the game, not just iron out a few glitches or networking issues.

So the preview may have put some people like yourself off and that's fair enough, but for me it's made a convert. I'm loving playing the game even in it's current state and looking at the prevailing current* of opinion on here, I'd say there's a lot of love for it, bugs and all. As the venerable Professor Cox once said*, "things can only get better", and I'm happy to put up with a bit of turbulence if it means I get to enjoy the view and see how the scenery changes as the journey progresses.

*See what I did there? Yeah, okay, I'll get my coat...
    **Okay, yeah, he was actually on keyboard, but if I'd said Peter Cunnah it just wouldn't have been the same. ;)