'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited May 2016
    Warper01 wrote: »
    @Bugzapper, Is it okay if I copy your entire story onto a single file? all credits will go to you respectively of course. it's just so that when someone reads the story they don't need to scroll past the tons of comments ( as I had to)

It's fine by me. Not sure if you should repost it elsewhere in this forum, though.

Maybe The Devs could decide where to put the Expurgated 'Aurora Falls' (The One Without The Gannet). *

I've monopolized more than enough space on this website already. :)

* Gratuitous Monty Python reference.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Suddenly and utterly incongruously, I heard the sound of drums. Distant, but unmistakable.

Drums..
    Drums in the deep..
    They are coming...
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I agree with Gman, Selkirk has probably earned diplomatic immunity for himself and the androids by freeing the Sea Emperor. Let's see if the biters and bleeders can control themselves.
  • PreziplierPreziplier Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216979Members
    I'm just going to say, THIS STORY IS UTTERLY AMAZING!!!! Your use of fine detail, the scientific knowledge that you exhibit, seemlessly mixing your own with real theoretical physics and your awe inspiring storytelling ability all rolled neatly together in one story containing such a lack of congruency errors, is simply astounding! and the most amazing part is, you tie this all together and write "on the fly". its simply amazing. Please do the community a massive favor and continue writing! i have become captivated by your story over the last couple days in a way that only Tom Clancy novels have been able to do! Oh, and 500 points to Gryffindor for working in references to my all time favorite PUBLISHED novel *wink wink* ;) "The Hunt for Red October". I myself am an aspiring writer starting work on an "Executive Orders" type of novel as a hobby in my free time and reading this has given me a particular fondness of the idea of writing it on the fly as the story unfurls in my mind then checking it and polishing the language and content later. but back to the original message, I love your work and whatever you do, don't stop this story anytime soon :)
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    Preziplier wrote: »
    I'm just going to say, THIS STORY IS UTTERLY AMAZING!!!! Your use of fine detail, the scientific knowledge that you exhibit, seemlessly mixing your own with real theoretical physics and your awe inspiring storytelling ability all rolled neatly together in one story containing such a lack of congruency errors, is simply astounding! and the most amazing part is, you tie this all together and write "on the fly". its simply amazing. Please do the community a massive favor and continue writing! I myself am an aspiring writer starting work on an "Executive Orders" type of novel as a hobby in my free time and reading this has given me a particular fondness of the idea of writing it on the fly as the story unfurls in my mind then checking it and polishing the language and content later. but back to the original message, I love your work and whatever you do, don't stop this story anytime soon :)

What he/she/it said. Also, I just get this feeling that something spectacularly impressive and unforeseen will happen, because I (personally) feel that this would be the climax of most stories, but it seems like it's just the beginning. I just hope that whatever it is, Ahab survives. Because Ahab is best. Ahab is life.

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Alternate ending: sea emperor creates tyranids.
  • Brodude1234Brodude1234 Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215106Members
    edited May 2016
    Please open spoiler once read above.
    Congratulations! Amazing story! Now am I an idiot, or did he just upload his conscience into a new AI form?
    edited May 2016
    JUNO did. :)

Selkirk's physical body was simply too far gone to use the Valkyrie Field.

The Crew still need their Captain.
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    so is this exceptional story going to continue
    We'll see.

Might take a wee break and actually play some Subnautica. :)
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    If anyone is interested, I'm working on a (hopefully) fairly substantial 'fan-fic' story titled 'Aurora Falls'.

There's just one tiny favour I'd like to ask...

Please, please don't quote huge slabs of the story's text when you're commenting on the story as it evolves. I realize there's no actual malicious intent behind this, but it does seriously disrupt the flow of the narrative. Please keep your comments brief, and your use of quotes down to a relevant sentence or two. This small courtesy would be greatly appreciated.

AURORA FALLS - A Subnautica Story.

Chapter One

, my parents must have had a fine sense of irony.

There are you talking about how he is now a machine when his job previosly was working on machines

• CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    @DefectivePotatOS : Go for it, mate.:smile:

Grammatical errors? Ack! You've got me feeling all paranoid now.

Must hunt down all errors. Exterminate! Crush, Kill, Destroy!
    We'll see.

Definitely a well deserved break. I bet you'll get in game and go, where's my AI? Where's my TRIDENT system? Where's Ahab?

Oh wait, there's Ahab. (dies)
    We'll see.

Definitely a well deserved break. I bet you'll get in game and go, where's my AI? Where's my TRIDENT system? Where's Ahab?

Oh wait, there's Ahab. (dies)

Nah. We're cool. ;)

"My parents must have had a fine sense of irony..."

Are you talking about how he is now a machine when his job previously was working on machines?

Not exactly. Google the name 'Alexander Selkirk'. ;)

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Well mate, that was an excellent story! you've kept me interested thru all of it until the very end which is a feat in itself as i barely read, wether it be books or online :smiley:

Its sad to see it end but of course it had to end eventually. HUGE THANKS to you for offering us this story :)
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    edited May 2016
    Time for my story, eh? Uh - that is - about this one.

See if I can't tell one myself.

I'm really glad I found this. I found it when it was 7 pages long or so. I read through that, left it for a few days or something, and then caught up. It went on over time, and more recently, I have been frequently checking it. The story was amazing pretty much the whole way through, and for a high-school dropout (I don't really mean to offend you), this is amazing. Much better than what I am really capable of doing, and I'm a 10th grader who was reading Harry Potter at 5 years old somewhat fluently.

So thank you, Bugzapper, for creating this story. I can be pretty sure that I'm not the only one this story was amazing to, but you could likely tell that from all of the praise and people signing up to comment. It's been a great adventure for many of us, and the epilogue pretty much topped it all off, and was a great (post-)ending.

Now, I have some questions:

Are the androids (I assume Al will become one, too) able to taste things? It was implied that they could drink, but what's the benefit to it if it can't be tasted? Aside from not getting drunk.

If Al had safe passage, would Ahab not be hostile towards him even if he got a bit social?

And would he retain that passage as an android?

Would he be pretty eternal as an AI now?

Wouldn't it be more difficult in a sense to fend off people like Tomar if he's not physically human anymore? Or maybe he would just explain it.

Are the AIs structured like human minds, and not computer AIs? Kind of like comparing Ultron to JARVIS in that Avengers movie, where Ultron's visualized as a sort of human mind, like with neurons.

Don't have to answer these if you don't want to, but it'd be kinda nice, maybe. Also, if you're gonna be playing more of the game, make sure you check out the new sub-lava castle. The chamber above the big one but below the castle got reworked, if it isn't an entirely new one, and the tunnels are a bit different in some places. Also the lowest one is a bit odd, but it might be further developing. And the ILZChamber biome carries farther into the castle, maybe. So you can actually see the lava as it should be, in terms of color and stuff.

EDIT: Searching for 'alexander selkirk subnautica' brings this thread as the seond result, below the Wikipedia page for the original person.
    The devs should put this as an official story
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Wonderful ending to an amazing story! Just got a few questions. Firstly, as an AI, is Selkirk now bound by the same protocols that forbid the others from harming humans? Did he ever meet the Sea Dragon Leviathans? Did the Warpers ever talk to him again? Did Ahab sire some offspring?

You should definitely become a professional author.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    Wow, that came to an end rather apruptly. I enjoyed the story very much, thank you!

You have a talent for writing, you might consider following this path a bit further. Where I live we have "Peoples Universities" where you can attend all sorts of courses for a modest amount of money. A friend of mine attended a writers course and although she decided not to pursue this path she said it was a faszinating experience. If there is something similar in Australia, you might give it a try.

*bows*
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    NOOOOO! it has ended! bugzapper - this was amazing! you have sucked many a happy hour out of my life, and I thank you for doing so.
    the story was exceptionally well written (more so considering it's fanfic) and I hope you enjoy your well earned respite!
  • KerbalKerbal In orbit around Jool Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213834Members
    I must say, when I first saw Aurora Falls, I was not expecting a story of this quality. Good job bugzapper!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Kerbal wrote: »
    I must say, when I first saw Aurora Falls, I was not expecting a story of this quality. Good job bugzapper!

i dont think any of us expected such level of quality when it first started and we were all happily surprised by it :smiley:
    for someone that isnt a professional writer its pretty impressive.