R.I.P Competitive NS2 2012-2016

tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
GG's guys. http://www.ensl.org/articles/980

Lets remember the good times.

UWE Gave, and UWE Hath Taken Away.

Amen.

Comments

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Let the wait for NS3 begin.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Amen.

Man that was fun. Can't we do that again?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Started to watch the first hour of that at work today. Watched Sauna destroy our aliens. Cried.

Good times.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That video is too damn awesome and too damn long I don't have too much time to watch it for too long dammit :'(
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Out with the old, in with the new I say.

Lets see if UWE gets their arses in gear and give us a comp scene now.

Either way, now that the "high skilled" players are gone, the skill gap in pubs will be much lower, player retention achieved.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Stranger things have happened, but this would be categorized as too damn wacky :tongue:
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I remember all the optimism and positive vibes. Good times.
  • loMeloMe PA Join Date: 2014-02-26 Member: 194387Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    That video is too damn awesome and too damn long I don't have too much time to watch it for too long dammit :'(

Just skip to the French Cheese at the end ;)

| ]
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation

Amen.

Damn, curse you. I shoulda go to bed but just couldn't stop watching this fantastic video.
    Saunamen Vs Titus ... Breathtaking. I'm keeping the rest for tomorrow .

• AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Don't ridicule other community members and don't mock other moderators. None of that is constructive discourse -Iron
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    edited May 2016
    Kasharic wrote: »

Either way, now that the "high skilled" players are gone, the skill gap in pubs will be much lower, player retention achieved.

Haha then you shall have to wait a looong time!

But R.I.P ENSL! Was fun while it lasted! Now i've got a perfect excuse to stop playing this game and return back to the mortal realm
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    First game I ever played competitively, and likely the last one - I'm getting too old to catch up. ;)

Thank you, all gentlemen I've been playing with and against, all who have organized and casted matches (it's been a blast watching a stream of a match I've played, every time...) and all of you who have done invisible work behind the scenes that everyone needed, but few were aware of and most took for granted - like NSL mod & compmod, all the paperwork to get a season started and running, and the countless drama about chickenshit that staff had to deal with on a day to day basis. It's been a pleasure & an honour.

I can't deny I'm sad, but also excited. When something you're dedicated to goes away, you - very suddenly - end up having a lot of free time on your hands. I'm looking forward to spending it on some neglected hobbies while waiting for NS3. :blush:
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    Edited. Thanks for following the forum rules. This forum is no place to fight about the competitive community decision. If you want to be negative, do it appropriately.

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    edited May 2016
    MklPSlD.png

We should have seen it coming.

Edit: Fixed image url
  • _mod_mod New Zealand Join Date: 2013-11-01 Member: 188922Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I never really played with you Euros or 'Murricans that much but when I did they were top notch games. Thanks a lot to Dragon for making my favourite version of NS2 possible and congrats to all the other supporters, admins, and organisers who made the rest of the magic happen.
    it's just TF 2 with more boobs.

Simple men will rejoice!
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    it's just TF 2 with more boobs.

Simple men will rejoice!

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thank you pelagir for consistent moderation.

It is a shame that the Comp scene has died. It has been a pretty incredible 3 1/2 years for me and I have learnt a lot from my experiences as well as having a lot of fun.

I will be sad but I see new opportunities to help the game now I have a little more free time.

To those that say the comp scene deserves to die because no one stepped in to fill the hole left by the unfortunate events of the mod, I ask you to think about the time, effort, and skill required to do such a thing and thank dragon, mendasp, and everyone involved in the meaningful balance changes they contributed to.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kasharic wrote: »

Am sorry i cant not disagree with you more, the Comp side of NS2 is what some may say kept it "Chugging" Along for awhile, if a few years ago when the Devs abandoned the game, if the Comp Scene called it quits then also, then i really think that that we would not even be here as the game would have dried out with only a few die hard players remaining.

So for what its worth i say thank you to all that have been involved from the start to the end.

59501635.jpg
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited May 2016
    If the game is being made more user-friendly and less "hidden mechanics"-y, then a new population of players, most likely more casual types, will be retained. Those wanting a more hardcore fps style of game will slowly drift to things like CSGO.

The new (more casual-ish) population of NS2 players will be happy with what they see, and won't know or care about the past NS2 experience. Those of this new population who are interested in more competitive games and leagues etc will gradually form their own competitive community.

So when people write that "comp is dead" (or words to that effect), what they really mean is that the comp scene that existed from NS1 up to now is dead. Comp will always be there, but the "scene" will be different.

The game experience has been changed. The comp players who grew up on the old experience will leave. A new comp community will form, and a new comp scene will develop.

It isn't a sad thing or a bad thing. It's just "change." Change is inherent in humanity, and the universe. Why would NS2 be any different?
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited May 2016
    Luchs wrote: »
    (...) a new population of players, most likely more casual types, will be retained. (...)

A new comp community will form, and a new comp scene will develop. (...)

With all due respect, allow me to point out a tiny contradiction in your train of thoughts.

I disagree with that assertion. There can be hardcore comp players (those now exiting) and there can be more casual-minded people who would like to play competitive matches/leagues under the current NS2 experience (enemy health bars et al.).
    joshhh wrote: »
    lol.

Comp scenes don't just appear out of thin air. They are slowly built over years of hard work and competition. Simply saying that "new people will form a new scene" is delusional. This game won't live long enough for that to happen.

Good luck with that.

The game was hard to get good at and had terrible performance. Which is why soon after release the player base shrunk down to average a few hundred players per day. But this basically remained stable for a few years. The game then became stale and boring. Which is why the game started to lose even those players and die, and why the gather scene was pretty much dead too. The game needs more players, which is what the recent changes were intended to achieve. Whether it will work or not is a different matter.

All I'm saying is that just because the current comp players leave, it isn't the end of the world. In recent months, the current comp scene served no purpose in terms of getting new players into the game or generating revenue for UWE. Specifically: Comp streams/casts get about 20-30 viewers at most, so comp matches aren't driving people to enter the game, unlike CSGO/SC2 etc; and comp matches aren't getting UWE big bucks from hardware manufacturers as Valve does from their various tournaments.

There was a small group of people who enjoyed playing competitive games together. After the changes, they got unhappy because of the effects on the compmods etc. They then said their competitive league was cancelled. They then came onto the forums and said they were all leaving.

So you guys who were playing together decided it was not worth playing together anymore. You guys then left. But that isn't going to make Wooza's servers suddenly become empty.

I am saying that you can be replaced by a new competitive community. However, whether or not you are replaced is completely irrelevant to the game (as the comp scene hasn't brought in new players in recent months/years) and completely irrelevant to the developer (who doesn't get any revenue from the comp scene). If the game dies soon as you suggest, it will be a death independent of the existence or non-existence of the comp scene.

I really hope that a new comp community forms, because it adds some color to the NS2 game environment, but I don't think the end of the current comp scene will be the end of the game. In NS2 the comp scene and the pub scene exist independently of each other, unlike in CSGO where the comp scene drives new players to the csgo pub and MM scene.

Again, I really do hope that the comp scene with the current comp players can continue, or that a new one can form with new players. But there is pretty much no connection between the comp scene of NS2 and the vitality of NS2. The only losers here are you guys from the comp scene, who won't get to play matches together anymore, since you all (or most of you) are leaving.
This discussion has been closed.