Health bars on enemies

Comments

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    dePARA wrote: »
    Lets say a vet deals 180 damage on an fade so he already knows how many hp left.
    Now he can see the damage he has done.
    Where is the difference?
    The heallthbars didnt tell him something new.

This thread has already gone over multiple situations where the health bar conveys much more information than damage numbers. In your ideal situation, you assume that
    • the alien engages at 100% health
    • you are the only marine shooting at the alien
    • you are certain which crag upgrade the alien has

If any of these assumptions is violated (as they are in almost any fight), then health bars convey more information.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited May 2016
    Content removed. PM sent.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016
    Well, i didnt feel any difference as skulk.
    If ihave a good engagement the rine is dead before he even noticed that there was a healthbar.
    Same with any other lifeform.

A team that communicate would try to trap a low health higher lifeform anyway.
    "!80 on the fade, hes coming to you, try to trap him"

The only situation where healthbars migh be an problem is, when an higher lifeforms with low hp is still engaging.
    But this was also risky before the healthbar introduction.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I dont understand why people think that healthbars are a "gamebreaker".
    If a marine cant aim, he didnt aim better with healthbars.
    Its also amusing that people complain about healthbars but have no problems with damage numbers popping up in front of them.
    Lets say a vet deals 180 damage on an fade so he already knows how many hp left.
    Where is the difference?

I beg to differ @dePARA.. My aim at tracking is horrible, yet since these bars were added my tracking aim has improved significantly.. From an average of 5-11% per life to 15-22% per life..

Damage numbers weren't as bad for two reasons..
    1) They didn't tell you how much hp the alien had going into a fight. This allowed for bluffing tactics, which have now been removed entirely.
    2) They didn't follow the alien around providing a beacon to help guide your aim.

So they actually provide two things that are new..
    1) Initial alien hp at the start of engagement
    2) Tracking assistance

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    If ihave a good engagement the rine is dead before he even noticed that there was a healthbar.

A team that communicate would try to trap a low health higher lifeform anyway.
    "!80 on the fade, hes coming to you, try to trap him"

The only situation where healthbars migh be an problem is, when an higher lifeforms with low hp is still engaging.
    But this was also risky before the healthbar introduction.

Well then you've never played against me, or anyone else half decent. If you ambush me my muscle memory flips me 180° looking at the ground behind me, and I will absolutely see your health bar before your 2nd bite.
    edited May 2016
    @Frozen
    Yep, i have never played against half descent players and i have no clue about this game.

So your awesome muscle memory is working different now with healthbars?
    Sorry im dumb, i have to ask this question cause people saying there tracking aim is better with the bars.

Im confused now.
    I'm not saying anything about healthbars, just that what you're saying is based in false reasoning. You're just saying things that aren't correct to make your own point about health bars
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Are there many FPS that have RTS elements with asymetric gameplay and a commander with top down view?

I dont understand why people think that healthbars are a "gamebreaker".
    Its also amusing that people complain about healthbars but have no problems with damage numbers popping up in front of them.
    Where is the difference?

For me it looks like "the drama" around the healthbars comes from the same people who dislike any change made in the past.
    New blackmail reviews inc.

The game has issues that are really a gamebreaker like the broken skill system and the shuffle based on it.
    I just wonder why noone is complaining about this.

You can turn off damages in your options for the record.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    Frozen wrote: »
    and I will absolutely see your health bar before your 2nd bite.

Don't health bars appear after you hit something ?
    Its the Lucky Luke effect. The muscle memory is faster than the healthbar.
    Frozen wrote: »
    and I will absolutely see your health bar before your 2nd bite.

Don't health bars appear after you hit something ?

Yea, but if I already turned around and I'm looking at a skulk, don't you think I'd be shooting at that time? Or do you just need every step layed out for you because you're that unfamiliar with ns2 and fps games in general?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Today I killed three lerks and a fade. Two weeks ago I *may* have gotten one of those lerks.
    Anecdotal, but if your anecdotal evidence counts, so does mine. (Flawless logic - I dun care)

As for the rest, the people above me have already said everything.
    edited May 2016
    So we have one here with awesome muscle memory that flips around and shoot the skulk after 1st bite
    The healthbar appears if you hit the skulk.
    And then it helps you aiming?
    You are already on target, thats why the healthbar appeared.
    And we are not talking about tracking here, its just a reflex.

So your reflexes work better a with a healthbar that appears maybe for 1 sec?

Also the argument about killing three Lerks.
    Congratulations, so the players where the same you play often against?
    Judging this change on random Pub Lerks with maybe low skill is a bit pointless.

I play against half decent lerks often and i can tell you, they can still rape marines.
    Same with fades.

Most players cant play alien anymore, they lose cause they dont know what they are doing not and cause bars over there head.
    Hitsounds, a crosshair that blinks red if you hit and damage numbers are ok, but a healthbar is a gamebreaker?
    Makes no sense to me.

@dePARA I have health bars turned off. I'm just saying that this statement of yours is incorrect.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Also the argument about killing three Lerks.
    Congratulations, so the players where the same you play often against?
    Judging this change on random Pub Lerks with maybe low skill is a bit pointless.

I play against half decent lerks often and i can tell you, they can still rape marines.
    Same with fades.

I play against half decent lerks often and i can tell you, I killed a lot more of them since health bars have been introduced.
    Same with fades.
    Parasite +bite+bite in early game=rine dead in 1 sec is incorrect?
    Im sure this can happen to every half decent marine.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2016
    Is there any way to disable health bars server-side? If not, can someone make a mod?

If this divides the community, then so be it because people do not want to play with this thing.
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    edited May 2016
    *snip

But the healthbar thingy i still stand at my point, it should be removed.. it doesnt bring anything usefull to the game except tracking assistance vs lifeforms..
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    *edited* edited* I like healthbars :smiley:
  • TyrwingTyrwing Sweden Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209435Members
    edited May 2016
    I like Yojimbo's garden.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    *edited* edited* I like healthbars :smiley:

LOL, I'll have to quote every version of your comments from now on :P
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Respect is earned by actions, not by being granted a position. And some people on this forum do not act the way you'd expect they'd be acting by judging the position they're in.

If only this zero-tolerance anti-troll policy was as strict on people like depara and mofo, these mods had my respect. So far these two have managed to spam every thread of constructive criticism to the point of closure. Good job :blush:

I'm not going to discuss moderation in this thread to not derail it. Feel free to poke me for any question you may have.
    I can also answer questions about Yojimbo's garden. Read this last sentence as you see fit. :P
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    It was a lovely day to do hard labour!
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    How about a health bar on forum profiles with number of warnings, jail days to go ...
    (looking for shelter, any gorge around ? Clogs and babblers needed !)
    Discussion:
    "a speech or piece of writing that gives information, ideas, opinions, etc., about something"

@Christel_Mess
    So im not allowed to post my opinions here about the healthbars?
    Im not allowed to say "I have no real problems with last changes"?
    Explaining why healthbars are not that huge issue for me is trolling now?

Grow up.

And the devs have my full respect cause they atleast trying to adress certain points of the game wich might be a problem in the past for new players.

And to say that its laughable that a whole community is bitching about such a small change like that is just another opinion of me.
    I'm saying it again. Do not derail this thread, thanks.