Game mode segregation in the server browser

Comments

• BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    Yes! Something that previews the mod/play mode would be great. Like a thumbnail and maybe a description too.
    But what do you do with smaller mods and when there are several mods running on the same server at the same time (like a cosmetic mod and a separate game-mode mod). Would those servers have their own "Category"/Thumbnail? Like for example the gorge hearts heal spray mod. Wouldn't a mod like that also misinform rookies and new players about the core content of ns2?
    Even if the server is running standard ns2 would the cosmetic mod make enough of an impression too misinform the new players that the server would have to be placed in a different category that is not "standard ns2"?

How can we make a system that also helps small and new mods stand out even after the point when there is no one officially working on ns2? Should that even be something to be considered?
    I don't know a lot about modding so maybe I'm just overthinking this one.

Had to put out my thoughts about it when I saw this in the server browser though:
    wpub674vq23u.jpg
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zavaro wrote: »
    In fact, it may even give them more attention, seeing as a big-ass button is pretty hard to miss, whereas hundreds of servers in a server list is hard to sort through.

Exactly. Why spend time on a bandaid when the you can fix the real problem and make it better overall.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016
    Foxy wrote: »
    I have to say I see NS2Large servers consistently full now every time I check the browser. Aside from the unfortunate DDoS I can't see that Large has been adversely affected at all.

Disagrees incoming by the boat-load but I'm saying what I see!

Wooza's Hamster Wheel which (32players) was full every night from 6pm till midnight(EU time) at least, has been empty since April the 12th.
    Wooza's Playground is full only 2/3 of the times than before.

ns2large has lost about 40% players with the changes.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited May 2016
    wooza wrote: »
    I have to say I see NS2Large servers consistently full now every time I check the browser. Aside from the unfortunate DDoS I can't see that Large has been adversely affected at all.

Wooza's Hamster Wheel which (32players) was full every night from 6pm till midnight(EU time) at least, has been empty since April the 12th.

You lost about 40% due to some ddos'ing reject you mean.

I still laugh at this ridiculous notion that large players are too stupid to see the filters or understand how to use a browser...

If anything this change has done nothing but require large servers to occasionally need seeding.. Just like every other server in NS2..

This whole fiasco is because they aren't siphoning as many of the players out there who are seeking normal sized NS2 games.

Seed your server just like every other server admin and deal with it. For crying out loud you even have fake wooza servers in the NS2 list pointing to the crap large servers, so there is literally nothing stopping people from finding and playing large.

I'll say it again, the ddos'ing reject hit your precious large community a million times harder than anything UWE did.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    wooza wrote: »

You lost about 40% due to some ddos'ing reject you mean.

I still laugh at this ridiculous notion that large players are too stupid to see the filters or understand how to use a browser...

If anything this change has done nothing but require large servers to occasionally need seeding.. Just like every other server in NS2..

This whole fiasco is because they aren't siphoning as many of the players out there who are seeking normal sized NS2 games.

Seed your server just like every other server admin and deal with it. For crying out loud you even have fake wooza servers in the NS2 list pointing to the crap large servers, so there is literally nothing stopping people from finding and playing large.

I'll say it again, the ddos'ing reject hit your precious large community a million times harder than anything UWE did.

The ddos happened a week later, and was probably used to hide the impact of UWE's change so the haters can continue looking for excuses.

One server was immidiatly dead after UWE's change, the other harder to seed than before.

About seeding, there is only one guy that seeds in NS2 more than me, and that is @ZEROibis :)

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Seb wrote: »
    I don't think this is a good way to do it, or at least if you were to do something similar to this it would have to be explained very very clearly as to why this is happening to the player.

I think I figured it out. Paypal donation link coming soon.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    why not add also a chat in the menu?
    +every server has the same chance of filling a server
    +rookies can ask questions before joining a game
    +gathering players for competitive play is 1000% easier than asking around in servers or forums or whatever else and if you add filters to the chat like "General chat, Compititive chat, etc." but having general chat as default!!!
    +easier to make new ns2 friends

that would surely help everyone out there in space because communication is the key for human and alien survival in ns2...

A lobby system would actually be a great way to seed servers and organize yourself without need for third party software.
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    So, rust, basically.

You realize the likes of puphball and wooza still don't approve of this because they want ALL gamemodes and mods on the same list, right?
    Not to be morbid but if that's the requirement to keeping mods alive in this game, (And if community highlights dont help) then it suggests to me that they were DOA anyways.

I'm against most of these suggestions because they are poor rehashes of our current server browser. NS2 is a small game, whatever you hide behind a filter is as good as dead. Any future mods will have to climb a mountain before getting any attention. That's unjust.

Instead of increasing the appeal of the game back in 2012 or 2013, we're risking the modding community in 2016. It's a band-aid fix, UWE is ignoring the elephant in the room. The real problem has dragged on for years, and now the modding community is taking the hit for it. You can't cut the audience of your mods by half, then say they deserved to die. It's unfair and uncalled for.

I'm villainizing them because they make poor decisions and poor excuses. Their intentions may be pure, but UWE has angered the community on so many occasions... there is precedence to our resentment. I waited 3 weeks and 3 patches, only to hear UWE say that the modding scene will benefit from being hidden.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hello, I am a long time NS2 player with too many hrs logged. For the last two years I have almost entirely on small sized servers, be that Hillariuos Basterds or the long-gone but not forgotten HBZ. If it weren't for these servers, I frankly would play only a tenth as much as I do.

UAE, please bury the plus-sized servers behind a tab. The population of this wonderful game is small; putting these game types behind a filter is a good start but not consequenet enough.

Please. Please. Please. Don't make me stop playing your game cause i have only NS2large servers to play on.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hello, I am a long time NS2 player with 1,127 hours logged. I have made this account only to plead with UAE not to do what they're doing. For the last two years I have almost entirely on plus sized servers, be that Dungeon Gaming, the beloved Wooza's, or the long-gone but not forgotten ZM Gaming. If it weren't for these servers, I frankly would play only a tenth as much as I do.

UAE, please don't bury the modded and plus-sized servers behind a tab. The population of this wonderful game is small; putting these game types behind a filter is dooming them.

Please. Please. Please. Don't make me stop playing your game.

United Arab Emirates?

Wheres my free airmiles! :smiley:
    @Wake
    I dont know whats your problem here, Wooza is still vacuuming the low playerbase so there less or no servers for people who prefer low slot servers.
    And no, most people that play there do this cause there is no alternative.
    I want to play right now and can choose between a 24 slot and the 42 slot. Thats all.

GG NS2.
    And a small tip: Its not PDT that killing this game.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    dePARA wrote: »
    Hello, I am a long time NS2 player with too many hrs logged. For the last two years I have almost entirely on small sized servers, be that Hillariuos Basterds or the long-gone but not forgotten HBZ. If it weren't for these servers, I frankly would play only a tenth as much as I do.

UWE, please bury the plus-sized servers behind a tab. The population of this wonderful game is small; putting these game types behind a filter is a good start but not consequenet enough.

Please. Please. Please. Don't make me stop playing your game cause i have only NS2large servers to play on.

Completly this^. Don't let the same as in NS1 happen again.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    _INTER_ wrote: »

UWE, please bury the plus-sized servers behind a tab. The population of this wonderful game is small; putting these game types behind a filter is a good start but not consequenet enough.

Completly this^. Don't let the same as in NS1 happen again.

There is no shortage of small servers. If you want to play small, seed them.

There are limited large servers, which have to be seeded too btw. Except now they're made harder to find, despite the gameplay mode being extremely popular. It's completely illogical if longevity of NS2 is the goal.

But then logic always has been the antithesis of bias.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Wake
    I dont know whats your problem here, Wooza is still vacuuming the low playerbase so there less or no servers for people who prefer low slot servers.
    And no, most people that play there do this cause there is no alternative.
    I want to play right now and can choose between a 24 slot and the 42 slot. Thats all.

GG NS2.
    And a small tip: Its not PDT that killing this game.

As much as I agree with you on alot of points dePARA, we should not be trying to divide the community, it is small enough as it is.

It's a double edge sword, we need ns2large as much as they need us.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Wake wrote: »
    MoFo1 wrote: »

The problem of people like you, who are so bright and intellectually way beyond the medium homo-sapiens, is that you may lack a bit of empathy toward us. It's not our fault we're sutpid morons, we didn't chose, we were born that way.
    Probably an consequence of consanguinity.

Yes, I admit, I was too stupid to see the filters although I was used to the game.

Have mercy and show us the way Ô enlighted one.

All I can do to show you the way is to say this..

OPEN YOUR EYES!! Its as simple as that.

The first time I ever saw a server browser waaaaay back in BF2 I grasped the concept of the filters before even playing my first game.. Yet we're supposed to believe that gamers in 2016 can't grasp the meaning of the blatantly visible tabs?

Complaining about them being "hidden" is like going onto CoD BO2 and saying that a mode like hardcore S&D is "hidden" because you first have to click hardcore, then S&D... And its not even at the top of the list..

I'd also like to add that I still see large servers filled to max capacity every day. AND wooza has fake servers in the NS2 list that even further show how to find large... Seriously this drama is getting old.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2Large existence alone is dividing the community. It's no good as long as it is perceived as real NS2 and not as a mod.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    You really should have just made the change and not posted about it. This thread is cancer already.
    @Pelargir
    You think im alone cause im not part of a "subcommunity" that organize like and dislike spam via discord?

Im sure there many many many more out there who thinking the same way like me but they dont post here.
    And im not posting here cause i try to divide something, i post here cause i worry about the future of NS2 while most subcommunitys only worry about there existence.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    @Pelargir
    You think im alone cause im not part of a "subcommunity" that organize like and dislike spam via discord?

Im sure there many many many more out there who thinking the same way like me but they dont post here.
    And im not posting here cause i try to divide something, i post here cause i worry about the future of NS2 while most subcommunitys only worry about there existence.

You have your points, they have their points. There's just an appropriate way to express your opinion. I do not approve their approach (meaning UWE trying to kill NS2) neither do I approve the way you're trying to blame NS2Large servers for killing NS2.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    edited May 2016
    Let's be honest, you aren't changing things back because of the "interface design". You are changing it back because you lost a huge chunk of players in April (28 players playing 24h/day everyday just after the update)
    http://steamcharts.com/app/4920

You tried, you failed, i just hope these players will come back....
    edited May 2016
    Like the players that left NS2 February/March/April last year?
    Cant remember that we had huge changes there.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    edited May 2016
    Like the player who left the 13 april to the end of the month ?
    It was at -8 the month before the update, at -8 the 15 days before the update, it's at -9 for this month (last 30 days = this month)
This discussion has been closed.