Update 296 Released!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2016
    lvl3 weaponry says: "Nope!"
    Heh well, compared to a skulk anything is tanky, bad comparison IMHO :D
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Fantastic work on the tutoirals! Well done everyone involved.

Had no rubber-banding likes others had reported. In fact there's nothing to add except... is there a way to donate so we can buy you all a beer or three?

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Isnt this type of thing already explained by the hint videos at the first moment you buy a flamethrower ?
    Hint videos no longer play when in a public game.

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2016
    We've also been considering adding alternate VOs for the various common languages (russian, french, german, spanish, etc). If you think you've got a good voice, a nice mic, and are willing to do some recording, contact @BeigeAlert ! ;)
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    To answer everyone's pertinent concerns :
    • These will hopefully be only the first, "Bronze tier" tutorials (required to get out of rookie status, unless your keep playing until lvl 5).. with Silver and gold tiers coming for each team. This is why these tutorials don't cover everything, and are just the most basic of tutorials that end on a good note.
    • This specific tier of tutorial is not a simulation. This means we were not aiming to demonstrate how easy it is to die over and over again as alien (we forcibly demonstrate it twice already!). This also means we attempted to end this specific tier which is quasi-forced (see above regarding leaving rookie mode) in an exciting and non frustrating manner. Even if it breaks what we've taught them so far, leaving a good taste in their mouth is important. We can torture them endlessly in future optional tutorial tiers :grin:

This also means that not all functionality will be exposed and you will be gated (no exiting exo or leaving the room early), this ensures even the most incapable of rookies can complete the tutorial, and it more easily ensures things go smoothly / are easier to test.
    • Future Tiers are not ready for public discussion, but you can pretty much expect the next tier, Silver (IF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS- NO PROMISES) to include walljumping, marine positioning, lifeform specifics etc.

Keeping this all in mind, feel free to contribute any further feedback!

Fair enough. Still hope you can include gorge building somewhere though, because its very important and not at all obvious.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know the reason is because there are more than there used to be, but the Hive status UI on the hud feels too small and out of the way. I hope there is an option to scale it larger at some point.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @IeptBarakat It should scale with res, but if you mean customize it, the size it currently is was from internal feedback (including myself) that constantly said it was too large.

Important to note, however, that the feature is not entirely complete, as scaling is not done perfectly at some resolutions and there are features missing from it - like upgrade chambers (and the amount of them) that will be displayed to the right of the hive icon.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited April 2016
    Love the new hive UI.

Seemed a little strange at first, but it's really nice having that info at a glance. Especially the number of eggs.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mmm, yes the taste of 4 new achievement. 57/57 it feels so good <3 ;D I got a good chuckle!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Love the new hive UI.

Seemed a little strange at first, but it's really nice having that info at a glance. Especially the number of eggs.

Glad you're enjoying it. It's still incomplete, as upgrade chambers will be added as well. Plus, I want to tweak/improve some of it's visual. You can see where it's headed in the design/mock-up @rantology did:
    1M8aRXh.png
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dilligaf wrote: »
    I like the fail moments you have implemented in the tutorial (First Marine, First Onos) Ns2 is huge and tactics change with the minute would love to see a more in depth look on which weapons/abilities you need to counter which lifeforms/structures/situation.
    For example explain that flametrowers deplete energy of aliens since allot of people still don't know this.

Isnt this type of thing already explained by the hint videos at the first moment you buy a flamethrower ?

I don't think players really pay attention to those.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    IeptBarakat It should scale with res, but if you mean customize it, the size it currently is was from internal feedback (including myself) that constantly said it was too large.

Important to note, however, that the feature is not entirely complete, as scaling is not done perfectly at some resolutions and there are features missing from it - like upgrade chambers (and the amount of them) that will be displayed to the right of the hive icon.

Just saying for me personally at the usual resolution of 1920x1080, that I have to look away from everything else to get a good look at it. The names specifically are so deep into the corner that I can't effectively glance at them either.

I think it would improve readability and peripheral vision if you were to have the names on the lower right side instead, as in closer to the center of the screen.

t304P9X.jpg
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2016
    White text would already make that more visible, but there's a lot of visual "clutter". NS2 interface is full of that pretty pretty stuff that looks cool but is simply quite hard to read.

Clutter as in, it all blends together way too easy.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Aeglos, not sure why you blame me, but I hope its in good fun.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Neoken wrote: »
    The new tutorials are really good. Well done. Hopefully though, there are also plans for smaller lifeform tutorials? Walljumping for skulks is so crucial, and there's no way for new players to know how to properly walljump unless someone else tells them. Same thing for moving around as fade.

I also had some rubberbanding while moving in the vent from C12 to Topo during the alien tutorial, which was odd.

Funnily enough there IS a walljump... well tutorial is too much, but let's say hint... in there. But you gotta find it first.

Ah yes, I remember there is a tipvid for walljumping, but that's hardly much you know. :)
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cool, but UWE knowingly killed the modding community. Where's the fix for that?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The new tutorials are really good. Well done. Hopefully though, there are also plans for smaller lifeform tutorials? Walljumping for skulks is so crucial, and there's no way for new players to know how to properly walljump unless someone else tells them. Same thing for moving around as fade.

I also had some rubberbanding while moving in the vent from C12 to Topo during the alien tutorial, which was odd.

Funnily enough there IS a walljump... well tutorial is too much, but let's say hint... in there. But you gotta find it first.

Ah yes, I remember there is a tipvid for walljumping, but that's hardly much you know. :)

I'm actually talking about the new tutorial ;)

Try getting the achievements.
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited April 2016
    Marine tutorial: "Stop that or we won't let you play NS3 ..."
    You guys know how to make some stubborn suicidal marines follow orders, but isn't it overkill ?

Really great tutorials, good works at making it epic.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Jekt wrote: »
    Just did the tutorials. Infantry portals 3D print marines back into reality? Is that really easier than just saying respawn... : D

Just a little bit of lore sprinkled in there. :)
  • navazkanavazka Join Date: 2015-12-08 Member: 209825Members
    The new tutorial is great, there has been a lot of care to showcase important details, great job.

One issue thought, some of the messages are quite fast (i.e. marine start), people can hardly read them and they're gone. I personally don't like such tutorials much, because you're always in a rush and always afraid you'll not keep up and miss something important. I'd much rather see "hit enter to continue" after each such message (just those which do not wait for an action to be performed, but are going to disappear once the voiceover is over. If it's already waiting for something, then "hit enter to continue" is of course not needed). That will let people to go in their own pace. Also, when they are reading translated messages, they need more time to absorb them, because they can't just watch and rely on listening to the announcer.
  • borsdyborsdy Respawning again Join Date: 2013-09-20 Member: 188366Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I figured out how to get Terminal Velocity Facepalm and Darwin Award (2 of the new achievements). Not sure if I should tell everyone, though :trollface:
    Haha! Keep the secret for a little while, more fun this way.. Give me one hint thou: Are they tutorial only? :>
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    edited April 2016
    PuphBall wrote: »
    Cool, but UWE knowingly killed the modding community. Where's the fix for that?

That is pure bullshit, and we all know it. . Can't posts like these be removed, they aren't exactly contributing to these forums or this game? I'm getting really tired of hearing this crap. Oh and please remove this post too! :)

PS. Hi to all viewers on woozas discord! :)
  • BleuBleu Buenos Aires, Argentina Join Date: 2014-09-01 Member: 198212Members, NS2 Playtester
    Everything here is just amazing.

The tutorials are great. Beige's voice is crispy AS FUCK, and I had a laugh out of...well...figure it out for yourself.

The new tutorials are a stark improvement, and the new hive UI is amazing. Great to get information at-a-glance.

Great job!

On a separate note, the ideas regarding adding more training stuff like for skulk walljumps (crucial!) is simply great.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    remi wrote: »
    We've also been considering adding alternate VOs for the various common languages (russian, french, german, spanish, etc). If you think you've got a good voice, a nice mic, and are willing to do some recording, contact @BeigeAlert ! ;)

S't'plaît xD

I keep most of what I use in French, and I would adore the words to be in French
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    tutorials are pretty good. are new players forced to do them? would increase rookie skill tremendously.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    On the Hive UI I love it too, reminds me of NS1.

Scale wise it's perfect at 2560x1600 res at least.

I think tech point name should remain top left, as it flows better with the design, but that's just me.
    tutorials are pretty good. are new players forced to do them? would increase rookie skill tremendously.

For a few builds, rookies have been unable to join regular servers unless they do the tutorial. They can join rookie only servers though.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited April 2016
    Frozen wrote: »
    remi wrote: »

S't'plaît xD

I keep most of what I use in French, and I would adore the words to be in French

I'm already looking for a french voice actor. Might even have found him. :D