Update 295 Released! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    2cough wrote: »
    Now I look like a name changing scrub. Pretty disappointed :(

Why does changing your name make you a scrub? By that logic doesn't using anything other than your steam name in NS2 also make you a scrub?

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had retarded names in my steam history from days spent trolling on CS:GO. Glory be to this feature for letting me fill it with nonsense quickly and efficiently. I acknowledge people wear their 'only 2 steam names in 10 years' thing like a badge of honour, though I don't understand why you'd care. Sometimes it feels like drama for the sake of drama. Its a feature, It could have been worded more accurately in the changelog, I agree. But let's just turn it off and not talk of it again if we don't like it.
  • bambusbambus Germany / Stuttgart Join Date: 2014-08-24 Member: 198092Members
    wooza wrote: »
    My servers are offline because a troll is ddosing my servers 24/7 so I took them offline to prevent any further damage.

Edit: I suggested my regs to play on servers I recommended. Some of them do, some of them won't open the game.

I was close to tears, when I realised last night that the hamster wheel has gone offline. I don't know what to do with my life anymore :(

Hope to see you guys soon on other servers or on our beloved hamster wheel hopefully soon!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »
    Now I look like a name changing scrub. Pretty disappointed :(

Why does changing your name make you a scrub? By that logic doesn't using anything other than your steam name in NS2 also make you a scrub?

Personal preference. I don't like the clutter and I liked my steam name for other games but not in ns2 due to the nature of communication in game. Was like a badge of solidarity. I unchecked the box, but too late, I feel like a bride on her wedding day in a cream dress with a slutty past. Now everyone knows!

Anyways, not really the point and it's not like a deal breaker at all, just kind of annoying. If I wanted to change my steam name, I should only be able to do it through steam. It's like asking for no pickles when ordering a sandwich and then getting pickles on it anyways. I can take them off easily enough, but the sandwich has been sullied.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Foxy wrote: »
    Sometimes it feels like drama for the sake of drama. Its a feature, It could have been worded more accurately in the changelog, I agree. But let's just turn it off and not talk of it again if we don't like it.

Don't downplay a natural response as "drama" it's a very caustic pathway you're on, trying to trigger people to respond to you. If people don't like something they are here to let the team know and that should be encouraged.

With that said, the explanation on page one (google spreadsheet) doesn't exactly give a decent representation of the changes, though i thank him for trying, just need a more detailed view in on it. I do use these answers are a means to improve on some of the servers that you might play on, arguments with server OPs are some of the best fun i've had on NS2, especially when they're usually wrong about the netcode side of things.
  • wurstikuswurstikus Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199720Members
    good job killing the game
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    nizb0ag wrote: »
    Don't downplay a natural response as "drama" it's a very caustic pathway you're on, trying to trigger people to respond to you. If people don't like something they are here to let the team know and that should be encouraged.

Perspective. It's much needed here. I've been involved in many many gaming communities. The drama levels here are unrivalled. As are the sheer displays of what I can only describe as arrogance toward the devs - usually when someone hasn't got exactly what they wanted.

The Steam name conversation has spilled over into Discord too. Its an unnecessary conversation. I can summarise the entire issue;

The 'Keep Same as Steam' name feature actually works both ways in that the game will influence the steam profile name as well as vice versa.

People don't like their Steam name being changed by a game.

This feature wasn't correctly documented in the changelog or in-game - an oversight I'm sure the devs are sorry about.

The result is that people have undesired name change history on their steam profile. Unfortunate. Not the end of the world.

The solution is, turn this feature off if you don't want to use it.

Personally I think It's a great handy little feature. But that's just my opinion.

But you can change your name a bunch (keeping it more or less the same as i pointed out earlier) and "clear" your alias history so your other ns2 name is gone...

So why so much drama over it?

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    wurstikus wrote: »
    good job killing the game

Your beloved server isnt down cause the changes as we learned here and Yojimbo nailed it on the head:
    Reading most complains here is like beeing in a Kindergarten.

• kaokao france Join Date: 2015-12-20 Member: 210122Members
    Because all the fun is gone .
  • banaanimiesbanaanimies Suomi Join Date: 2014-08-11 Member: 197922Members
    I have no idea why a server with ~1200avg skill shows as equal skill in the server browser when my hive skill is above 2k... whyyy oh why? This change frustrates me.
    edited April 2016
    Your 42 slot server is down for reasons posted here, thats all and i dont think that UWE turned it off.
    As far as i know it will be up after a ISP change.

But im sure you know this already, meanwhile people complaining about:
    "Oh my god, the ragdoll is gone, i cant make screenshots of dead alien bodys anymore"
    or
    "I have lost the immersion" while damage numbers popping up in front of you is very immersive for sure.
    *facepalm"

Did i mention Kindergarten?.
    kao wrote: »
    Because all the fun is gone .

What "fun" would that be?

If you're referring to large them you can thank whatever d-bag is supposedly ddos'ing large servers.. It's not UWE's fault in any way shape or form.

Besides that I saw a large server up last night with 35 people in it... So they're still there.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Perspective. It's much needed here. I've been involved in many many gaming communities. The drama levels here are unrivalled.

:D Back in the day, some pretty rough MMOs existed in which there were opposing in-game factions. The developers in the middle were changing rules and selling stuff for real money. That was the best drama experience.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    dePARA wrote: »
    But im sure you know this already, meanwhile people complaining about:
    "Oh my god, the ragdoll is gone, i cant make screenshots of dead alien bodys anymore"
    or
    "I have lost the immersion" while damage numbers popping up in front of you is very immersive for sure.
    *facepalm"

Did i mention Kindergarten?.

I've had enough of your desprise.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @mofo no drama, just feedback. i will still eat the sandwich.
    @IronHorse I didn't imply anyone was uncivil or disrespectful to other people, though I stand by the opinion that a lot of people speak toward the devs on these boards in a very arrogant manner. I think because this community has always been quite small and 'intimate', everybody knows everyone else. Everyone is aware of everyone else's opinion on everything. Even though what is essentially the same discussion happens over and over again with slightly differing subject matter, it never seems to end.
    remi wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback. Sorry to say, but we aren't going to be introducing toggles for every change we make.

Even after remi said this on page 1, there were still several posts asking for toggles for settings and considering this thread was posted as soon as the update went live, it was very unlikely that people had given these changes a chance.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    2) Said feature is on by default so you don't quite get that choice until it's too late, mostly due to the majority of players understandably not being aware of it. (How could they? It's undocumented)

I did say that it wasn't documented properly in my earlier post, but you didn't include that when you quoted me:
    This feature wasn't correctly documented in the changelog or in-game - an oversight I'm sure the devs are sorry about.

I completely acknowledge that people dislike the fact that the game has changed their steam profile name, but I just don't see the need for so much commentary on it. Can we just let the devs fix it? You have personally logged a bug report about this, so you know they're aware of it. Too many important informative posts get lost in pages and pages of drivel and whining. @Martigen made an excellent, informative post that I had to trawl my way to.

TL;DR, Can't we all just focus on giving good feedback, being accepting of changes designed to help new players (ragdoll change) and just generally get along? We all love this game, but you wouldn't think it to read these forums sometimes. As @Yojimbo says, it's very demoralising - particularly for people like ourselves who volunteer a not-insignificant amount of time to things like PT, wouldn't you agree?

• Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    No, but I love you and wish I could find better words to express such feelings.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2016
    but I just don't see the need for so much commentary on it. Can we just let the devs fix it?
    Again it's feedback, (not "drivel and whining") and it is desired in great numbers by the developers, so you're going to see pages of it at times... this is a good thing and is useful.
    This is absolutely one of the primary purposes behind these forums, btw.

Can't we all just focus on giving good feedback
    If you don't consider the feedback that's occurred in here to be good, then I'm afraid you'll need to further define what you mean.
    Since, we both seem to agree that no one has been uncivil or disrespectful and that they are bringing up issues that they have with recent changes... I feel like that falls under "good feedback".

Unless you mean "only praising" - to which I would say god no, I don't think anyone wants that, not even the developers.
    Otherwise, if you see obvious arrogance that is clearly disrespectful - you are a forum moderator, you know what to do - See @Cr4zyb4st4rd 's post above mine for an example.

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2016
    you know fox, the name topic likely would have died where it started two pages ago if you would ignore the urge to constantly tell people "well if you read the patch notes you'd know" when you very well know that no matter what you say or how often, no product is ever going to have even a third of its user base read the change logs. it's clear that even if the game changing your steam name was intentional, it's a mistake and should be reverted. just leave it at that. you're the one keeping the topic alive (well besides this rant)

it always feels like you either have to always get the last word in, or you just like baiting people into arguing with you so you can repeat the same (mostly) moot points. this is just my Personal Opinion.

edit: why aren't the change logs in the game on the main menu like most modern software now a days anyway? discord does it pretty well.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2016
    TL;DR, Can't we all just focus on giving good feedback, being accepting of changes designed to help new players (ragdoll change) and just generally get along? We all love this game, but you wouldn't think it to read these forums sometimes. As @Yojimbo says, it's very demoralising - particularly for people like ourselves who volunteer a not-insignificant amount of time to things like PT, wouldn't you agree?

Features are here to be scrutinized even if you don't like that, i don't even know how you're a Forum moderator, playtester lead/playtester with this mindset. Did it ever occur to you as a playtester that you should actually be looking for bugs rather then waiting to be told what to look for? i don't think many people are that dumb enough to have things dictated to them as to how they should think and feel about something they love and i don't think it's in anyones best interests to simply "accept changes" on a misguided basis. Do your job as a PT Lead and if you can't fault it we will as a community post here on the forums to let the team know what the problem is, it's not meant to make you feel anyway as these are not for your ears, only your eyes.

If anything, you shouldn't even be given the chance to playtest with an attitude like this.
    I had retarded names in my steam history from days spent trolling on CS:GO. Glory be to this feature for letting me fill it with nonsense quickly and efficiently. I acknowledge people wear their 'only 2 steam names in 10 years' thing like a badge of honour, though I don't understand why you'd care. Sometimes it feels like drama for the sake of drama. Its a feature, It could have been worded more accurately in the changelog, I agree. But let's just turn it off and not talk of it again if we don't like it.

This is one reason as to why the feature is stupid, you felt guilty and the need to change your names as so it helps you when you want to troll, i can understand i've done it too. But i sure know it will help people who are cheating/hacking the most and people who are being jerks, how many times have i needed to go to someones steam profile to check there past names to find links to other profile and or the likes? that said you can easily use steamapi to access someones past names in database format or even on something like steamid.co.uk, even if they have there profile on private.

Your arguments are a fallacy, almost like a rat scattering for the last bit of food before it's taken away... or a feigning foreigner at the Australian border pretending like they didn't know they had to fill out a card and declare they had prohibited Qual eggs.

On a more productive note
    Hmm i seem to be spawning either looking down (random times) or the wrong way still, does anyone still have phantom spawning? that and at the start of the round, when camera moves out, you're looking toward an entrance, you hold W in third person view when the camera is surrounding everyone just before it goes back to the view model, and then all of a sudden you're facing a wall or the ground behind where your model was looking, how does that work still?
    edited April 2016
    For me its looking like people searching for a scapegoat here that the game is losing players.
    And while the answer is clear for them: '"The Devs are killing the game", they ignore the fact that it has lost most players before the work on player retention startet.

Last september the playerbase was down 190 average.
    http://steamcharts.com/app/4920#1m

One solution to attract new players could be dumbing down the game, but thanks god the devs didnt go that way.
    And by looking on this chart one thing is clear: No, large servers didnt help to hold or grow playerbase.
    So the Devs decide to choose the hardest way by trying to teach the game to new players and adress small features that might be a problem or affect client performance.
    But instead of giving these changes time, people complaining about everything after every patch.
    "They dont listen to us" - Like i mentioned before. Different people have a different view on the situation.
    So your "us" might be not the "us" from another players view.

Thats indeed Kindergarten "OOOHH, i have the blue lolly, but i want the red one. Maggie has a red one, thats sooo unfair" Whine

Btw. the comp scene has killed the idea behind the gather system (more organized pub) itself by introducing a system half of the compscene cant join, NOT the devs.
    But im sure we see threads soon: "The Devs are killing NS2-Comp"

If i where in the Dev team i would no longer spend any of my rare sparetime cause all the despite here
    But then the same people would complain:
    "The Devs are killing the game, they are doing nothing".
    edited April 2016
    It's almost the same as the commander paradox..

No matter what a comm does they're always at fault.. 3/4ths of your team is afk? Oh well it's the comm's fault.

No matter what the PDT does they're killing NS2... Someone ddos'ing large servers? PDT is killing NS2!! Comp scene excluding half its players? PDT is killing NS2!! New update has a glitch? PDT is killing NS2!!

Spring arrives and people start going outside and camping, fishing, biking, etc instead of gaming? PDT is killing NS2!!

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    @DePara: for the record, there's an increasing trend of players in winter and those numbers start falling sharply again in summer, and this, every year. That's no news.
    edited April 2016
    @Pelargir
    Tell this to all the people that use the steamcharts as a proof, that the last changes are the reason that the playerbase was going down a bit lately.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Pelargir wrote: »
    @DePara: for the record, there's an increasing trend of players in winter and those numbers start falling sharply again in summer, and this, every year. That's no news.

Summer comes, people go on vacations, the parliament starts voting for some unpopular law...
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Otherwise, if you see obvious arrogance that is clearly disrespectful - you are a forum moderator, you know what to do - See @Cr4zyb4st4rd 's post above mine for an example.

CrayCray you're so arrogant!!!
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    devel wrote: »
    Pelargir wrote: »

Summer comes, people go on vacations, the parliament starts voting for some unpopular law...

Wooza's back online soon and brings people back to their computer!
  • EastwoodEastwood BAVARIA Join Date: 2013-02-06 Member: 182861Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Locklear wrote: »

CrayCray you're so arrogant!!!

And so disrespectful