Update 294 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    edited April 2016
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Well, after taking a look at the trello, I'm very apprehensive of the "remove alien weapon switching" card. I think its a great idea, outside of parasite, bilebomb and vanilla(trailing) spores. Its going to be a pain if you don't have spare mouse buttons to bind those to as you probably don't want to move away from your movement keys when using those abilities.

I wish this change was optional. I love my weapon switch.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Something i find funny about the outcry from wooza supporters...

NS2+ was also "hidden" in the exact same way NS2large was.. Yet the 18-20 player NS2+ servers haven't suddenly turned up empty the way woozas apparently has.

Hmm I wonder why?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    MoFo1 wrote: »

NS2+ was also "hidden" in the exact same way NS2large was.. Yet the 18-20 player NS2+ servers haven't suddenly turned up empty the way woozas apparently has.

Hmm I wonder why?

Maybe it's because if you don't have the mod mounted they all show up as "NS2". Or maybe it's because the NS2+ changes to the server browser display both NS2 and NS2+ servers under the NS2 filter.

What were you trying to say here?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Mendasp wrote: »

Hmm I wonder why?

Maybe it's because if you don't have the mod mounted they all show up as "NS2". Or maybe it's because the NS2+ changes to the server browser display both NS2 and NS2+ servers under the NS2 filter.

Ahhh, maybe that was the reason why I could not see any server in the server browser.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2016

Hmm I wonder why?

Ahhh, maybe that was the reason why I could not see any server in the server browser.

That doesn't make any sense. NS2+ doesn't change the gamemode to NS2+. The reason for people not seeing servers after a patch is that it takes a bit until most servers upgrade and the ones that update the fastest get populated fast, so if you have filter empty/full you'll see 0 servers (servers tend to be full).

If you open the game without NS2+ mounted and go to the server browser, servers running NS2+ will show up as NS2, the servers report their gamemodes as "NS2", the + is added client-side so you get the same server list with or without the mod.

Edit: And if you have the mod mounted I just said it will show both NS2 and NS2+ together in the NS2 tab.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members

Hmm I wonder why?

When I first played after this change, I launched the game and had 2 servers in my list, both foreign servers I had never seen (or at least never noticed) before... I then noticed like 1/2 second later that the NS2 tab was clicked, so I clicked "ALL" and voila! All the servers I have favorited showed up. (since they all run NS2+)

I don't know if I have the mod "mounted" or not, all I know is that when I first came on after this change, the servers I play on were "hidden" just like NS2large... and it took me 2 seconds to find them.

• develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Yes, the Thirsty Onos was hidden as well.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    simba wrote: »
    Anyone notice performance issues with this patch? We played on 4 different servers last night and each one, a lot of intermittent red plugs that affected the entire server. Is the Heal Over Time being calculated every server tick or frame on the client?

I had one egregiously bad fight as fade vs a medded marine, I couldn't hit him and I truly was not missing, so I figured it was the server. I didn't think much of it being the meds but maybe?
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Scatter wrote: »
    Better to target new players or those that could return to the game

What are you on about I return to this game every day after multiple years, you think rookies joining a 6 vs 6 goes to build an extractor and get swiped by a fade without knowing what hit them will return to ns2? if so why is there 300 people on this game instead of 300.000? Hiding large player count servers from the list gives them less places to play on, and rookies will most likely press PLAY NOW button and go on whatever crappy server they get served before leaving this game forever.

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    RadimaX wrote: »
    Scatter wrote: »
    Better to target new players or those that could return to the game

What are you on about I return to this game every day after multiple years, you think rookies joining a 6 vs 6 goes to build an extractor and get swiped by a fade without knowing what hit them will return to ns2? if so why is there 300 people on this game instead of 300.000? Hiding large player count servers from the list gives them less places to play on, and rookies will most likely press PLAY NOW button and go on whatever crappy server they get served before leaving this game forever.

A better question is what are you on about? Nothing you have has anything to do with what I said. You spoke about UWE not having their priorities straight and I put it to you that they do have their priorities straight.

I never said that there shouldn't be a Woozas since I understand its function and have no issue with its existence. What I did say, however, was that when discussing long term plans and game play for ns2 we shouldn't be listening to people that play on Woozas and people that still actually think ns2 has good game play (it doesn't). Seriously, why should anyone at all care about the opinions of the few remaining people in this community? Why listen to people who are OK with low fps spam fests? Why listen to people who are perfectly happy with an ns2 game unfolding in the exact same way every single time for 1000 iterations for the last 2 years? Why listen to people who still play a game where marines sit in your naturals from minute 1 and if they fuck up they end up having to face PVE spam and an Onos timer? UWE could do anything to this game and you lot would tolerate it and continue to play. Best we ignore you and ask people who have left what they want from the game.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Frozen wrote: »

I had one egregiously bad fight as fade vs a medded marine, I couldn't hit him and I truly was not missing, so I figured it was the server. I didn't think much of it being the meds but maybe?

Check this video of Grissi being med spam saved from my Onos back in the beta days. A good comm can make it near impossible to kill a good marine :P

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

Check this video of Grissi being med spam saved from my Onos back in the beta days. A good comm can make it near impossible to kill a good marine :P

Not at all what I meant, in any way at all. Fun video though hahaha
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    kao wrote: »
    UWE cant tolerate moded servers :(

and yet ns1 was a mod, so much for their loyalty to the mod scene
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    Sherlock wrote: »
    I think everyone here is forgetting a key point:

Changes are being made to Natural Selection 2 in order to help new players.

Everyone who knows the game, and plays on Wooza's, knows how to change server filters. Chances are it's already in your favourites. If not, it should be.

Everyone who doesn't know the game is going to see a server browser to begin with showing a true representation of the game - UWE's stance to set this filter proves what they want the game to be.

Once people play a little more, they are free to play about with the server browser, and discover new game modes. That's not a problem.

Thank you, UWE.

new players are important to the survival on any server, becuase new players turn into regulars and regulars eventually get bored and play other games. No new players = the inevitable collapse of a server.
  • neooneoo amsterdam Join Date: 2016-04-12 Member: 215695Members
    edited April 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    UWE has been clear with their intentions. High player count servers have clear issues, yet UWE has also stated that they do not intend to outright remove them. If UWE wanted them gone, they could easily make them go away. But that havn't.

If high player count servers have issues, why are those servers nearly full all the time, and during peak there's a HUGE waiting time?

I'm not really aware of such issues, as I play on them nearly on a daily basis. If anythijng, I wish there were more.

On that note, there's NO need to filter out these servers by default while a fix is being made... it's ridiculous and there should be a hotfix, cause UWE is pissing off EVEN MORE of the community, AGAIN. As I mentioned, look at what happened with the modders.

STOP PISSING PEOPLE OFF.

Edit: It's not rocket science, you guys are better than that. Get a hotfix out on this.
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Come on guys, let's not get bitter or anything. I agree with server-list thing but let's not be jerks. It only reinforces the idea that large servers = cancer.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

To be fair, you can not outmed consecutive hits even with the old system. You just suck soul, sorry :P
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    To be fair, you can not outmed consecutive hits even with the old system. You just suck soul, sorry :P
    To be fair, pretty much all "fun vids" can be accounted to someone playing bad. In the case of this vid, rookie bad.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Spawn camera is 180 degrees inverted.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    rantology wrote: »
    this will help pave the way to allow us to look at "immortal fades"

@rantology

?????

Fade nerfs ????

?????

????? ?????

are they really "immortal" unless it's a huge skill mismatch????

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

one11!!1???question mark

let's not forget that an alien side's midgame success depends on them and that if you get too many up your RT biting goes way down and if you don't have any then you get blasted by shotgun balls with ease (let the spawn camping commence)

i think they are near as perfect as its going to get in terms of cost / capability and survivability

especially in public

i may be jumping the gun but for real, immortal fades? do wat m8
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    edited April 2016
    @Locklear, did you lose as many brain cells creating that post as i did reading it?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Hmm I wonder why?

That doesn't make any sense. NS2+ doesn't change the gamemode to NS2+. The reason for people not seeing servers after a patch is that it takes a bit until most servers upgrade and the ones that update the fastest get populated fast, so if you have filter empty/full you'll see 0 servers (servers tend to be full).

If you open the game without NS2+ mounted and go to the server browser, servers running NS2+ will show up as NS2, the servers report their gamemodes as "NS2", the + is added client-side so you get the same server list with or without the mod.

Edit: And if you have the mod mounted I just said it will show both NS2 and NS2+ together in the NS2 tab.

Well no, I know how the filters work and I knew there have been populated updated servers because you could see people in the steam friends list playing on them. And yes, they updated their game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2016
    devel wrote: »
    Spawn camera is 180 degrees inverted.

Just be glad it ain't upside down!
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ots wrote: »
    @Locklear, did you lose as many brain cells creating that post as i did reading it?

hopefully you have some left over after reading such a brain zapping post
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    Locklear wrote: »
    Ots wrote: »

hopefully you have some left over after reading such a brain zapping post

Doesn't work that way if he had none to begin with
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    If Wooza is quality (by whatever measure), it will survive losing automatic top billing in the server browser.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited April 2016
    Locklear wrote: »
    ermagerd

There is more to it than that ;P not ready to discuss specifics quite yet until we are in a position to actually make/test changes for this- so far it's just an item on a list we'd like to get to. You can feel free to PM me on discord and I can explain further if you must know!