'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited April 2016
    There was definitely a situation brewing here. My next job was to make Reef Base look a little more 'lived in'. It was a simple matter of strewing a few items of clothing carelessly around, leaving lockers open and allowing a few day's worth of meal trays and coffee mugs to accumulate on any handy flat surface. I wanted to convey a particular impression to our visitors, and let their preconceptions take care of any finer details. If they were to enter any of my other bases or outposts, they would find them all effectively blacked out and containing nothing of any real interest. Even if they succeeded in getting power restored to these installations, there was no way of accessing the higher functions of either AI. All Fabricator consoles save those in Reef Base were now little more than glorified vending machines, command-locked into Autistic mode. The intruders could now ferret around as much as they pleased, although their efforts would yield absolutely nothing of value.

IANTO still needed a dedicated Fabricator installed at Reef Base. If this practical exercise in maskirovka took a wrong turn at any stage, I conjured it would be a sound idea to have him available as backup for JUNO. Our intruders may be tempted to use slightly more robust methods of obtaining information after their initial failures, and might possibly damage one or more of the consoles housing her personality core. Creating and securely storing a backup of JUNO was the next immediate task. I already had a backup of IANTO in his upgraded form, so that was one less job to take care of.

After downloading JUNO's backup, I took both core transfer modules out to the Aurora monument and stowed them inside the Lifepod I had previously secreted in the obelisk's foundations. The surface access hatch to the pod was concealed under one of the decorative metal inlay plates set into the plinth, and could only be unlatched from underneath. There was also an underwater entrance to this cache, although particular caution was required when using it. The entire area was swarming with Biter fish, and the access tunnel itself was guarded by a healthy crop of hanging stingers for most of its length.

Good luck getting into that one, Pally.

I soon found out why I had never bothered to grow a beard before. I had not been using Depil-foam for at least a week now, and my face itched like crazy. I found some solace in a bottle of vintage Glenfiddich, its consumption being spaced over a couple of days so that I kept a clear head. Naturally, the empty bottle joined other 'dead Marines' on the floor of the habitat, subtly adding to its growing ambience. My personal ambience was also proceeding apace, undoubtedly hastened by skipping most of my daily hygiene routines.

Two days later, they turned up.

I was in the middle of eating lunch (Peeper Surprise à la Creepvine) when I heard the main airlock cycle. As I was about to bolt into the central corridor, I suddenly realised that I was only wearing my skiddies and a t-shirt. I hesitated briefly, decided that pulling on a pair of pants was too much bother and shot out of the doorway regardless. First impressions were absolutely essential.

"My God... Rescued at last!" I howled.

I came to a halt in front of a group of five, still dripping water from their recent swim. I rushed forward, grabbing for the hand of the nearest diver. She drew back, obviously repelled by my appearance. I fell to my knees, sobbing with gratitude.

• Brodude1234Brodude1234 Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215106Members
    Awesome story! I'm still hooked! Thanks for explaining Autistic mode too!
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    edited April 2016
    Uh... in experimental, there is a new lifepod message. May want to retcon.hGbcP4K.png
    Also nice job, been reading this. I assume the topmost message refers to the floater island and the abandoned bases are the wrecks of the people who were meeting up there.
    Maybe the player isn't expected to be there until it makes sense to have enough time passed for their deaths. As for the middle one, the coordinates presumably would be around when it says they were attached, but none are heard.
    Joeakuaku wrote: »
    Uh... in experimental, there is a new lifepod message. May want to retcon.

Nope. Too far in to even consider a major retcon job like that.

Assume that an alternate reality is now in effect.

edited April 2016
    Aw.

EDIT: are you aware of the active lava zone?
    G7lTKML.jpg
    It's like below the lava castle. Various updates on trello may refer to it as the 'Emperor Prison'. Think about that.
    Ce3TqZh.png
    ryouagC.png
    Pretty interesting. There's enough evidence and I may have been told by an UWE person that it pertains to the story.
    Aw.

EDIT: are you aware of the active lava zone?

It's like below the lava castle. Various updates on trello may refer to it as the 'Emperor Prison'. Think about that.

I already have. Stay tuned. :)
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    OH MY GOSH!!!

I do hope that this isn't the end...
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    R2T9 wrote: »
    OH MY GOSH!!!

I do hope that this isn't the end...

Don't worry, he has the lifepod-res thingy. As long as no one breaks that, he can die all he wants.
    But what if they broke it before coming? Then again, wouldn't JUNO or IANTO alert him? Also, wasn't another Valkyrie Field mentioned? Maybe another lifepod? If he hooked that one up too, and they didn't know... uh... yeah. Although IIRC he hid his own lifepod.
    But what if they broke it before coming? Then again, wouldn't JUNO or IANTO alert him? Also, wasn't another Valkyrie Field mentioned? Maybe another lifepod? If he hooked that one up too, and they didn't know... uh... yeah. Although IIRC he hid his own lifepod.

I wonder if hooking up a second lifepod to it might make two of him...
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    @Bugzapper

If i could have given 5 Awesome to your last segments i would have! keep up the good work bruh!
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    I get the feeling that this death was more or less planned... More more than less...
  • KerbalKerbal In orbit around Jool Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213834Members
    edited April 2016
    Wait, isn't the life pod buried in the Aurora monument obelisk ?
    Also, this is likely unimportant, but what about the monolith (or what's left of it)? Is that too unrealistic to add in? Or maybe it could tie in to the warpers somehow. Not begging, but it'd be kinda cool in a sense if that was the warpers' home - the current rendition of it is up to the surface of the water or so, so they don't have to be on land, but they have access to land with water on it.
    Pardon if this is really stupid, but... yeah.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited April 2016
    What a prick. Still, Alexander's plan worked: he was able to discover Omar and his cronies disposition and "fake" his death. I have the sneaking suspicion that they will soon incur the wrath of Manannán's natives and get their comeuppance, whether it be from the Warpers or Binky the reaper.

Super looking forward to the next update.
  • KerbalKerbal In orbit around Jool Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213834Members
    What a prick. Still, Alexander's plan worked: he was able to discover Omar and his cronies disposition and "fake" his death. I have the sneaking suspicion that they will soon incur the wrath of Manannán's natives and get their comeuppance, whether it be from the Warpers or Binky the reaper.

Super looking forward to the next update.

And he and his friends won't have the experience Selkirk has (painfully) acquired...
  • Brodude1234Brodude1234 Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215106Members
    Woah! I must say, you have a serious talent for writing! Nice work bringing Ahab back there too! ;)
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    edited April 2016
    Wow... Just... Wow. These last two chapters... Can't wait for more!

Edit: Just realised, he's bringing a reaper to a gun fight.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    edited April 2016
    I sense a base about to get smashed......
    PS, write faster at this quality please - the tension is near unbearable!
    I sense a base about to get smashed......
    PS, write faster at this quality please - the tension is near unbearable!

Agreed. Have been refreshing a fair bit today waiting for stuff. This is like the ultimate cliffhanger, with Ahab following him.
    Niiiiiiice. Though why didn't Kirk bring the Reaper on their *expletive*s after somehow getting them awake, out of the base? Whatever, still turned out great.
    Niiiiiiice. Though why didn't Kirk bring the Reaper on their *expletive*s after somehow getting them awake, out of the base? Whatever, still turned out great.

Wait and see.
  • Space_JesusSpace_Jesus Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182732Members
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    The Torgaljin goon froze in the stasis bubble. I darted over and slapped two transdermal tranquiliser patches on either side of his neck, then waited for the stasis bubble to collapse. He dropped to the deck, well and truly out for the count. Two solid bands of hull tape secured his wrists and ankles. That guy wasn't going anywhere.

As I crept down the corridor towards the forward section, I heard the stasis cannon fire. The entire hab was enclosed in a shimmering sphere of energy, freezing the four Torgaljin intruders in elegant attitudes, strangely reminiscent of a Renaissance tableau. I quickly served them in the same fashion as their computer-savvy friend, leaving all four trussed-up like Christmas turkeys. I decided to hang around long enough for the field to collapse, just for the sake of a good laugh. Sure enough, when the bubble faded, all four toppled over in a most pleasing manner.

might want to rethink your ?wording, ?internal logic/consistency:
    in the first instance Selkirk had to wait for the bubble to collapse before securing the guy, in the second, he goes in the bubble and trusses them up before it collapses......

Just doesn't quite feel spot on....
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    OK! This story was amazing! But now! It just went from 0-100 so fast I think my head just exploded! I love this kinda stuff! You are such an amazing writer! Sad there hasn't been any response from one of the devs! I do believe they ARE reading your wonderful story though!
    edited April 2016
    I would have used the hologram projectors to have a bunch of angry space marines charging the dudes in your base. They would probably shit themselves.

Edit: dho! the evil face dosn't work.