Should the devs expand the map dramtically?

Bobthedog1Bobthedog1 US Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214175Members

Comments

• project_mercyproject_mercy Aurora Engine Room Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214884Members
    Apparently everyone else went with Yes. I vote No. The reason being, the game already has a ton of map. It's just most of it is basically worthless. You can only see where you're at for half the day, and then it's mostly (now) about skimming past stuff looking for wrecks. Things you can harvest are pretty well evenly placed around every biome, so mostly it's just something you start on one side and slowly hoover things up as you need them. Otherwise, the biomes are mostly homogeneous.

I would like to see more reason to make use of the maps we have. To make a custom map like they're doing takes a lot of time and energy. The players should be encouraged to make the most of each nook and cranny.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    It's possible the OP is unaware of the situation. They've chosen not to use procedurally generated maps and to handcraft everything. That takes a lot more time. Dramatically expanding the map would delay everything else.
    You can only see where you're at for half the day, and then it's mostly (now) about skimming past stuff looking for wrecks.

I'm not on experimental myself but I saw in the wiki how they're moving fragments into them. I was a little worried it might have this effect.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Should they expand the map? Id say yes and in fact we may even see more Biome(s) in the future. Ill try to find back the link to the Trello card referring to the Twisty Bridge that we might see someday (before or after release im not sure)

But Dramatically expand it? no i dont think so. imo 1-2 more biomes would be cool tho. Keep in mind they decided to make hand-made maps and not generated maps. that takes ALOT of time and resources to make just one new biome and then update it a few times to make it as perfect as you want it to be.
  • Bobthedog1Bobthedog1 US Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214175Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Dear gods... let the poor devs finish what they have planned for the current map first. How can you ask for dramatically more even before they have a chance to show you the complete version of the originally planned content? Right now, you have no idea how big it's going to be, and from what we see on Trello, the map we will have at our disposal at launch will be multi layered, with biomes covering the same areas at different depths. It seems to me that it will be quite huge anyway.

I didn't mean now, I meant in the future, what do you think a poll is made for?
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    The map once you have explored enough to memorize every location... it goes very small... one island is not enough... i wish to go far away... away... away...
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited April 2016
    Bobthedog1 wrote: »
    I didn't mean now, I meant in the future, what do you think a poll is made for?

You should've made it clear with the poll. Again a reason to allow to reedit polls partially (the additional text, not the poll). Otherwise I'd suggest to answer your poll immediately with a short message at first place. This will be visible right under the poll and always open for reedits.

Two observations on a no that is based on an expansion for now:
    1. They are far behind their release roadmap. Time to put fancy fantasies like maps, creatures, subs and others to rest for Subnautica 2 or DLC. Right now this game needs to be finished and bug free for a success story and big sales to allow such expansions. The only thing I'd recommend to add are elements that greatly improve replayability and game success with minimal effort.
    2. Most people don't realize that an underwater map is able to be a true global 3D labyrinth, because the atmosphere is a natural mix between caverns and open horizons, allowing you to place biome under biome or vertical biomes, unlike traditional surface worlds. The map could be brainlike (a small 3d structure but with the unfolded surface size of a football field) and thus be looking smaller than it is. Right now Subnautica's architecture is surface and a few cave biomes like Jelly Shroom, Lost River and Lava Caves. Enough for release.

Reasons for a no after release:

The ways to hide secrets is more than enough now. Just imagine if ores couldn't be seen but would need to be scanned and unburied. Secret structures buried beneath rocks or locked off in unaccessible caverns only found with scans would make the map feel bigger than the actual size. Or imagine the devs increase the interconnections between biomes, like secret tunnels going from one biome to another. Or physical barriers or difficulties that enforce different routes for subs to take. Like a giant current/jetstream underwater that only allows a sub or diver to follow the stream and thus make it a puzzle to reach certain areas. I've seen small submarine flash games that played puzzles with underwater labyrinths and currents and while the map isn't that big, the enforcement to find a way through the labyrinth has made the small labyrinth feel like a big map.

So maybe the devs can increase map feeling without new areas. Use hidden structures only revealed by scan or following warpers. Use currents to create current labyrinths making it more interesting with the same map size. Randomizing currents to improve replayability. Allow inter base travel lines or enforce base recharging to give maps a network structure of buildings instead players just use sub exploration from 1 single base. Maybe even allow to create bases for different purposes: a power plant base with power lines feeding power to other bases, a farming base for food and water or ore drill base with piping resources to other places, a research base to watch flora and fauna and gather scan data through drones until research reveals enough data to unlock dna or behaviour secrets of a species, ... Then each base would have an individual touch and create something like a civil infrastructure map and visiting a base would feel unique. All would greatly increase a map feeling without increasing the map itself.

If the game sells well it would be time to do new content with a Subnautica 2 and get the game to other platforms including phones and tablets as the game is born to be played while traveling away from home. That would be more important than expansions and probably better for all.

A reason for a yes after release:

Only new biomes, like the arctic biome that was cut. Or an alien cave labyrinth with warper or sea emperor culture ranging from 1500-3000m beyond the lava sea, if not already planned.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Imagine if we could use the the Transfuser to sample dna from the warper and add it to our own. You could create warp fields leading to any biome you want in an instant! :smiley:
  • AdmiralPainAdmiralPain Germany Join Date: 2016-04-02 Member: 215206Members
    edited April 2016
    Yes.

But only after Release.

Reasons.

1. The Biomes are awesome, but not enough for me. Wait, that is wrong sayed, i mean, it is enough and they are beautyful with all its living and immersion, but it is not enough for ever and ever cause Point 2.
    2. This Game has because of its Setting, and Story , and the wonderful Point, that is a one of its kind, unlimited potentials, and i hope it is a Heart Projekt for the long future, that wont end short after release. This could be a Lifetime Projekt, with continious adding more Creative Parts (Priced Addons if the Content is good and huge after Release? No problem for me) .
    3. New Areas = Using potentials, = advancing and adding more of the awesome Creativitys the dev team has.
    4. Time is not a Problem. The Game is awesome, but the Content is not even near at what it can be. You could add hundreds of different Biomes, Fishes, Alien things, Base, Wepons, Ships and interieur Stuff over Years. Don´t get me wrong, i did not want to critizize the Content or the wonderful Game, or its actual State. I love this awesome Game, and with this relative small Team, it is a wonder that this wonderful Game is at this good state it is.

5. And because i fallen in Love with this Game, and i could imagine its unlimited Potentials, i hope the Defs keep on with thier awesome work, and after Launch too. And that means, this Game will be Released somedays, but never realy finished in its Content, cause the devs are with this Game in Love too. And this it is what i would love.
    6. A Problem that i see in this is the XBox Launch. Consoles, even the Xbo limit the creativity, cause theyr slow not upgreadable things, that are slower and not editable in its Grafics Settings for some Speed, than a cheap actual PC for some Euro or Dollars.
    To bring it on the Point, i love this Game even in the actual State, but i would love it too, when this Story will rise and rise and never will finish to an end, and i would be very dissapointed, when it ends somedays, only cause some Consoles limit the devs, and then the Port cuts all the Potential of this awesome Game with theoretical unlimited potenitals.
    Greetings ;)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I actually have mixed feelings about the map being largely build around vertical cave exploring. I mean, on the one hand, it can be really cool. But on the other, it can really be hell to be going around in circles for ages trying to find a nook that leads into a really cool area. Another thing is purely personal preference, but I would really like more bright, colorful, cheerful sort of biomes. Places like the grand reef and koosh zone are cool, but my favorite areas to spend time in are the shallows, kelp forest, and red grass. biomes like this will inevitably be mostly on the surface, meaning having more of them needs a bigger map.

I will not vote, because while I certainly think that, if I were in charge of this games development, I might want to make a much bigger map, I understand why that will not work with their release date and plans for the game.
    edited April 2016
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I actually have mixed feelings about the map being largely build around vertical cave exploring. I mean, on the one hand, it can be really cool. But on the other, it can really be hell to be going around in circles for ages trying to find a nook that leads into a really cool area. Another thing is purely personal preference, but I would really like more bright, colorful, cheerful sort of biomes. Places like the grand reef and koosh zone are cool, but my favorite areas to spend time in are the shallows, kelp forest, and red grass. biomes like this will inevitably be mostly on the surface, meaning having more of them needs a bigger map.

I will not vote, because while I certainly think that, if I were in charge of this games development, I might want to make a much bigger map, I understand why that will not work with their release date and plans for the game.

An interesting perspective. Maybe we need a heavily illuminated deep cave biome. With a total different lighting situation, but far from being dark and rather lighter than grand reef or blood kelp. We would need a major underwater light source using giant biolumination with the advantage of creating artificial horizons that change dynamically during daytime. Some sort of twisted twilight maze where everything can be seen clearly, but with no orientation of up or down. Maybe giant floaters glowing ultrabright live there, forming a neural network of light impulses and the structure looks like the neural network of the human brain. We might call it the Brain Biome and somehow it tries to communicate with us by changing the light and shadows of the caves, yet we don't understand.

Maybe in Subnautica 2.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I actually have mixed feelings about the map being largely build around vertical cave exploring. I mean, on the one hand, it can be really cool. But on the other, it can really be hell to be going around in circles for ages trying to find a nook that leads into a really cool area.

I find it's an adjustment because most games we play don't involve verticality and if they do we can clearly see long distances. But you will adjust if you play long enough and it adds to the sense of realism.

Beacons can be handy. There's the seaglide mini-map and the seamoth sonar. And there's new mapping drones coming with the scanner room.

I struggle with the cyclops. Only thing I can do with that is scout ahead with the seamoth and drop beacons to mark a route. I kinda hope we get something to make piloting it easier eventually, eg. scanner drones.
    Another thing is purely personal preference, but I would really like more bright, colorful, cheerful sort of biomes. Places like the grand reef and koosh zone are cool, but my favorite areas to spend time in are the shallows, kelp forest, and red grass. biomes like this will inevitably be mostly on the surface, meaning having more of them needs a bigger map.

You are not alone in this. I love swimming around in the safe shallows just because it is so pretty and bright (being near the surface). Am quite happy to build bases there for the same reason. The deeper ones are nice too but can't compete for bright cheeriness.

Now you've made me want more shallow water biomes....
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Lol, obraxis voted no. I don't believe you have a valid vote good sir. But I am with you on no.
    Lol, obraxis voted no. I don't believe you have a valid vote good sir. But I am with you on no.

Because the poll asks "Should the devs expand the map dramtically?"
    zetachron wrote: »

Because the poll asks "Should the devs expand the map dramtically?"

At first i thought he wrote drumstick'ally, so i was about to answer yes: i crave those things made by hell to make me fat i swear!
    Obraxis, pls tell why you dont believe in the future of this Game, or at least explain pls what you mean with this No Vote.. ? ;)
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    I'll be happy with the tentacle bridges Biomes and the idea of an arctic biome is awesome but we must not forget that the World of Subnautica is handmade 100% manufacturing in the old ages in oak barrels.

the sweetest flavor B)

edited April 2016
    @ Obraxis.
    Thank you for your Answer. Exactly this is telling me, you love this game too. I was angry for you could quit after Lauch, but now im shure you go on, cause it is a Heart Thing. ♥ ;)
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Obraxis, pls tell why you dont believe in the future of this Game, or at least explain pls what you mean with this No Vote.. ? ;)

Because 'expand' implies getting wider. I'm personally looking forward to going Deeper :wink:

So it has absolutely nothing to do with expansion means more work? As far as going Deeper goes, there is only so much you can do unless you want to make the world of Subnautica weird. After the inactive lava biome is the active lava biome and that is as deep as we can go. Of course, navigating through the sea of magma, the world of Subnautica is hollow or some elaborate machine are all possible situations that remove the depth limit of active lava.
  • toxickillertoxickiller Earth Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215003Members
    Personally I'd rather see the current map have some sort of random generation; either wrecks or biomes or terrain or something. An expansion pack would be the ideal time to introduce a new map, one with its own ecosystem/fauna/resources

Because 'expand' implies getting wider. I'm personally looking forward to going Deeper :wink:

Hey, does it mean
    the labyrinth beneath the lava sea
    is getting into the game?
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I guess the map could get a lot larger with future expansion packs. :)
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    Sooner or later you're going to run out of "unassigned" biome spaces.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    No ! The devs focus on the level of detail an quality and if you ask me, I love their approach. And going deeper (as Obraxis said) is better :) But there will be few more biomes for sure.

Also, I saw a map somewhere, in that map there are biomes marked as in the map for example on subnautica wiki, BUT there is more biomes, it is wider, significantly. I will try to find that map and maybe... if the source of that map are devs, it would mean the map will be bigger, maybe, sometimes later? :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

I got this, don't worry ladsNlassie!

Expanding towards the deep, hmmmmm :tongue:
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    One word: ExoSuit.
    Did anyone realize that diving with the suit goes red at 200m. So if depth limits for suits come, what suit will fit the gap between standart suit and exosuit? Or do you think that the exosuit will already start at 200m?
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Expanding towards the deep, hmmmmm :tongue:

The throat biome?

Down from below the voice of Subnautica gets chanelled through a big cavern system and big sound waves arrive from the deepest deep travelling with bioluminiscent wave patterns scanning through the cave wall tunnels, with a long sound that will tell you that down there the Heart of Subnautica is speaking to all its creatures above.