Where have you built your bases?

2»

Comments

• BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    With the upcoming Fauna attacks I think those pillars on the grassy plateus can make a good starting base once you'v cleared radiations. The only lifeform on top of them is some Reginalds and sometimes airsacks ^^
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    edited April 2016
    On a little sand bar just to the east? of my starting point, right above the floating islands. I needed a nice flat place for the layout I wanted to achieve. The room on the left is my entry point for when I get my Cyclops. Still have to track down some of the fragments.

12901346_10154070506061543_6814999592848324766_o.jpg
  • raven2010raven2010 USA Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204980Members
    I build mine on top of the engines of the aurora. It take a lot of time and metal but it can be done.
    I live by the Bridge looking back to the rear of the ship looking at the island.
    Ho man now I just want to climb top of this big metalic baby xD
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    When the Creatures Attack update happens, how will we fight them off? We could use a small turret that fires Stasis rounds at them, or Repulsion cannon turrets maybe

There is the Tiger Plants, Acid Mushrooms, Deep Mushrooms, Snake Mushrooms, Bone Sharks, Crab Snakes, Mesmer, Sand Sharks, Shockers, and Stalkers that can all be raised by the player. The best way to fight creatures is with more creatures.
  • etherealyandereetherealyandere UK Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213830Members
    I've currently built my base on the edge Grassy Plateau that borders the mushroom forest next to the Aurora. Making use of the natural landscaping, I've started to build it in layers and I've set up a 'reception' of sorts on the top of one of the stone pillars. This room has a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long line of vertical corridors that leads up to an above-water base where I intended to make, like, a landing platform (mainly for RP reasons rather than practical) and officers/captains quarters. However I kinda gave up on that after finding out that the observatory can't be built above the water, man that was a let down.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    raven2010 wrote: »
    I build mine on top of the engines of the aurora. It take a lot of time and metal but it can be done.
    I live by the Bridge looking back to the rear of the ship looking at the island.

I'd love to see pictures of this.
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    For those who have satellite bases, what do you use them for? Do you have issues with your resources being spread too thin?

Anymore my satellite bases are that. Satellites. 2 rooms tops plus power fabricator, and storage. For me resources aren't thin so much as I choose not to make the satellites big.

There was a time when I put "main" bases everywhere. Now I pick an attractive, and central spot for my "home".
    I would assume that the first place where the main base or satellite base is constructed is by the Kelp Forest or at least until the Exterior Growbed or Large Aquarium is built in the main base. Creepvine Seed Clusters and Creepvine Samples are used in far too many recipes so converting them into Silicone Rubber, Fiber Mesh, and Lubricant before transporting them to the main base will certainly help reduce the amount of trips for crafting.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I like the spot on the edge of the safe shallows, on the cliff that drops down to the grassy plateaus. It borders 3 biome types and is quite close to all the others and the island and one 'hidden' area. Near the centre of the map. Makes it quick and easy to get most resources so it's good for a starter base.

There's a wreck near there now. Might help you find the spot.

Another spot I've scouted but not tried yet is one of the floating islands. It's a nice size, has a handy lava vent for thermal power and no predators.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    When the Creatures Attack update happens, how will we fight them off? We could use a small turret that fires Stasis rounds at them, or Repulsion cannon turrets maybe

There is the Tiger Plants, Acid Mushrooms, Deep Mushrooms, Snake Mushrooms, Bone Sharks, Crab Snakes, Mesmer, Sand Sharks, Shockers, and Stalkers that can all be raised by the player. The best way to fight creatures is with more creatures.

You can raise those creatures, but as soon as you release them outside your base they become hostile to you.
    crane476 wrote: »

You can raise those creatures, but as soon as you release them outside your base they become hostile to you.

The game is unfinished so just because they are hostile in the game now doesn't mean you can't tame them in the future. Also, it is currently possible to temporarily tame Stalkers with fish or metal savage.

Also, there is an incomplete tool that the devs are working on called a Transfuser. The Transfuser will allow us to acquire DNA samples and inject the sample into another animal or your character. So injecting Rabbit Ray and Garryfish DNA into a Bone Shark will let the Bone Shark follow and be friendly to your character.
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    I built one of mine in the safe shallows next to the geyser formation so that I could use thermal power. I built another one of my bases in a small clearing in the mushroom forest. Solar panels were attached to a wreck closer to the surface and I had easy access to fungal spores to power the bioreactor.
    Dagon wrote: »
    I built one of mine in the safe shallows next to the geyser formation so that I could use thermal power.

I tried that but found the geyser noise irritating. Hoping I can find a good spot nearby and use power transmitters.
    Just for anyone else thinking of trying it, the power transmitter thing didn't work. My base was only powered when I personally was in the water near the geyser. If I moved too far away, like into my base, then the power went out.

I suspect the game is despawning objects (eg. the geyser and or power transmitters) when too far from the player.

So back to scouting for nice, quiet lava vents.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Huh... never had that particular issue. Maybe should bug report it?

I built a base on one of the big underwater islands which has a smoker vent. Lined up 4 thermal plants on a platform right next to it, lots of power. The irritating noise is provided by the bone sharks.
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    For the most part, my secondary bases have been what I call survival boxes and are next to wrecks. Nothing fancy, just a corridor section, hatch, three solar arrays and a fabricator. Generally positioned as close to the wreck entrance as I can get. That may be because I've found only one seamoth fragment so far, but it's working for me.
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Huh... never had that particular issue. Maybe should bug report it?

You're right I should. I just kind of assumed it was a known thing but maybe it isn't. First time I'd actually tried the power connector thingies.
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I built a base on one of the big underwater islands which has a smoker vent. Lined up 4 thermal plants on a platform right next to it, lots of power. The irritating noise is provided by the bone sharks.

Yeah that island caught my eye a few days ago. Mentioned it a few posts up. But having been back there a few times for fragments I find the bone shark shrieking too much.

I'll probably go grand reef. From memory there's quite a lot of lava vents, no predators, and everything glows in a pleasingly pretty manner.
    The geyser at the other end of the safe shallows worked a treat for me. The one which is mostly submersed and has a little tunnel into the adjoining kelp biome.

Built a foundation and i-room inside the geyser in one of the spaces. Ran vertical connectors up out of the geyser. No geyser noise except in the foundation room.
  • TentacleTentacle Germany Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215298Members
    ku6k84cccdmp.jpg
    3i6seq4faih5.jpg
    This "Tower" is located close to the Aurora, where three biomes meet: Kelp forest, Save Shallows and Grassy planes. Also the Aurora is close for metal salvage.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited April 2016
    @Tentacle

I completely love your tower base! i just might have to replicate this in one of my future games :smiley:
    Wow, i've never noticed this rock formation :o
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited April 2016
    My most love base location. I never got to complete this base, do to a update. My games have been a lot shorter now with many new starts.
    d4irdn07rl5n.jpg
  • AttumaAttuma Antarctic Join Date: 2016-04-20 Member: 216004Members
    edited April 2016
    My main base.
    Took me a while to figure out how to get everything up, there's a few tricks for it.
    Could have gone higher maybe, but my framerate was suffering a bit.

2016_04_21_00013.jpg
    2016_04_21_00022.jpg
    2016_04_21_00018.jpg
    2016_04_21_00009.jpg

I'd like to have the option to build a movable island like this:
    elite-daily-submerine--800x400.jpg

I guess Scuba Steve is lonely....
  • AhrisAhris Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-28 Member: 202647Members
    I have my main base at the northern tip of the safe shallows where three biomes meet and a fourth is very close by. It's great to have so many different resources within swimming distance, especially when starting out.
    It's also a very scenic location with multiple depths and options for base placement. :)
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    The moveable island is called the Cyclops - that is all I use it for (moving around for base construction and to have a shelter from super-predators).
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited May 2016
    crane476 wrote: »

The game is unfinished so just because they are hostile in the game now doesn't mean you can't tame them in the future. Also, it is currently possible to temporarily tame Stalkers with fish or metal savage.

Also, there is an incomplete tool that the devs are working on called a Transfuser. The Transfuser will allow us to acquire DNA samples and inject the sample into another animal or your character. So injecting Rabbit Ray and Garryfish DNA into a Bone Shark will let the Bone Shark follow and be friendly to your character.

Sorry to crush your dreams, but this won`t work. Devs already changed trello so that EITHER transfuser or creature attack comes, making it impossible for your thought. And since Transfuser is on the Edge of being canceled (since they put it under unknown after release) my bet is more on CA.