NS2 GunGame

2»

Comments

• ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    thank you ! It was first day of newborn map ... And hopefully most of your concerns are already fixed (also we have a teleport there directly from spawn to the lover ground of arena :))
  • Tux0rTux0r Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27808Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've set this up on an Australian NS2 server and it's proven to be really popular - we have played at least a dozen rounds! I've added the new maps to the rotation now too.

I recommend anyone else running the server also load up this custom map Archie converted from CS- https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=646264396&searchtext=
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Thanks to woOZza for setting up a dedicated server ;-)
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Played a little more gungame today and have a bit of constructive feedback.

1. Spawn invulnerability time needs to be reduce, the reason being that on the smaller arena type maps, a jetpack marine can get to the other side of the map and score 1 - 2 kills without taking any damage at all.
    2. We had the idea of having random timed spawn medpacks/damage boosters/shields etc placed around maps... i'm not sure how this would work, but if it were possible it would be an interesting addition to gameplay.
    3. Maybe add in kill streak rewards or something similar. After X amount of kills get 1 random buff, e.g movement increase for 3 seconds, regen 20 health per second for 3 seconds, infinite ammo for 3 seconds (doesn't spend ammo when you fire)... I think this would have to be instead of having random pickups spawning, not alongside.

Not sure how helpful this is, but either way, thats what we got from a TAW hour of play.
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for feedback! I do see this as very constructive and as far as you are mapper then I would propose/explain solutions to some of your points which might be implemented soon:

1. Spawn invulnerability - spawn protection to be 3 seconds long definitely suits medium sized maps like gg_shelter & gg_pyramid.
    It is basically issue on small maps like gg_basic and gg_mini_mario maps (you state reason perfectly .. jeeeeeeetpacks)
    But it's even too short on biggest map gg_match, where does not prevent spawn killing very well as spawn locations are open and big/complex enough to hide enemy.
    .. therefore I will try to make it configurable per map! (you will be able to set length of spawn protection per map in property of ns2_gamerules entity)
    .. default set to 3 seconds

2. random / timed boosts .. it smells like a quake :) but i like it.
    Some maps even need these locations to spread players around map (especially gg_match) because fight is now usually focused only on certain parts of maps.
    I'll try to create boost entity for mappers, that you can specify which kind of boost will be spawned: [Medpack, Ammo or CatPack] and how often. It will disappear by itself by game mechanic of commander drops. (Hurray .. auto commander of specific locations?)

3. Maybe add in kill streak rewards or something similar.
    .. This seems to be not a good idea, as it does not suit NS2 style of play. random boosts (medpacks, ammo & nanoshield) will be like commander drops, but you already have reward for kills by leveling over guns & winning the game.

I have few additional improvements in mind:
    4. Add some pregame time. Because not everyone can load maps fast enough and jump into game later than others hurts. Like 30sec before game starts sine map is loaded?
    5. shotgun is not visible after level up.
    6. most important is stuck EXO in small places, looks like UWE solution with capsule is not working at all :(

Please keep in mind, that mod is intent to be refreshment between few difficult vanilla plays (like short game to stretch your arms & legs in-between serious fights in tournament).
    Probably later on will grow to something bigger, but right now the milestone is set like this as I'm still learning and don't want to end up with big ambitions but always half way finished and unplayable.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    tbh, I agree with the fact that kill streaks sound... out of place... I just wanted to bring forward all the ideas I had heard.

The solution of making things map specific via the entity in the editor is a really good one, and I really hope that gets implemented soon.

As I said in an earlier post, I was wary of this idea of this mod when I heard about it, but after playing it twice now, I'm genuinely looking forward to future tests, this gamemode has a lot of potential and is already incredibly fun to play. Great work.
    edited April 2016
    Progress GunGame 0.26 RC

* Added 30sec pregame length. Players can join, level/exp indicators are colored red (for visual feedback) but level progress with kills is disable since game start.
    * Ability to change spawn protection time per map by settings duration in ns2_gamerules entity (default to 3 seconds)
    * Begin discussion with @Brute to find Exos respawn issue (he probably found serious bug there) ...

Please note, that entity to random boost spawn is already in progress .. playing with idea custom model (like targeting cross) to indicate location for boost spawn. I'll use decals for now.

EDIT 02/Apr/16: Implemented CatPack Powerups on gg_basic map as experiment. Please check it, when it's working well I'll make different typed of drops (med,ammo, catpack or random) and seed on maps.
    edited April 2016
    Finally on GitHub with full description: GitHub NS2_GunGame
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited April 2016
    Playing this at the moment and got a few ideas for you:
    1. I got code working for headshots, check out the code below (this is the closest I could came with to do it). It's ready to be used if you ever need it.
    2. The weapon evolution is great but losing a level when getting killed with the axe feels punishing, especially when you are stuck with the pistol. Nerfing this to losing a 1 or 2 skulls could be better.
    3. The difference with time between good and average players is too strong. The better you are the quickest you get stuff giving you even more power making it harder for the other team to come back. Maybe giving everyone a base layout and allow them to buy those levels will do: you can buy all the stuff at your level with the money you earn with time, and damages (prevent KS) but you could also buy the next level and get then access to more weapons. An armory would be a plus also in my opinion.
    4. Adding napalm grenades ?
    5. Adding random environnement events ? like a short alien lerk outbreak ?
    6. Playing with day/night ? (thinking of the map gg_match witch is really great btw)
    local marineOnTakeDamage = Marine.OnTakeDamage
    function Marine:OnTakeDamage(damage, attacker, doer, point)
       local headshot = false
       if point then
          local head_origin = self:GetModelOrigin() + Vector(0, 0.68, 0)

point = Vector(point)
          local dist_to_head = point.y - head_origin.y
          if (dist_to_head < 0) then
             dist_to_head = dist_to_head * -1;
          end
          if (dist_to_head < 0.12) then
             headshot = true
          end
       end

if (headshot and doer and attacker) then
          doer:DoDamage(damage * 5, self, self:GetOrigin(), GetNormalizedVector(self:GetOrigin() - attacker:GetOrigin()))
          -- "Headshot !"
       end
       marineOnTakeDamage(self, damage, attacker, doer, point)
    end

I would like to see the order of weaponry reversed. So that rather than getting stronger and stronger with every level, which leads to some people never getting past the shotgun stage (some even remain on pistol to the end!) it should instead be a measure of skill, everyone starting as an exo and it gradually leading the best of the group using a pistol to finish the game... it makes it a little more difficult to win the round, but it makes it so much more enjoyable for the lower skilled players.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kasharic wrote: »
    I would like to see the order of weaponry reversed. So that rather than getting stronger and stronger with every level, which leads to some people never getting past the shotgun stage (some even remain on pistol to the end!) it should instead be a measure of skill, everyone starting as an exo and it gradually leading the best of the group using a pistol to finish the game... it makes it a little more difficult to win the round, but it makes it so much more enjoyable for the lower skilled players.

In order to avoid everyone having an exo, something like normal -> powerful -> weak would probably work better.
    hey! GunGame survive last patch without hurt ! You still obtain single gun + claw exo ...
    I'm running server and occasionally there are playing guys who need some refreshments.

Currently I have not much time to do planned stuff as working on siege+ :/
    But definitely will fix errors and implement / fix changes introduced by future patches from UWE.
    I'm quitting with ns2 as game (no enjoyment for me since today). I'll try update GunGame and Siege+ mods to e playable with upcoming patches.
    In case of emergency or communication please contact me on steam or use workshop messages!

... thanks for understanding .. and support Wooza!
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2016
    After mini-mario i crafted this from a css map in 2 hours, problem was i made textures 1gb and workshop wouldn't allow me to have to, this was last year, but however i did keep it on a hardrive and now i just converted them to 256x256 from 1k here's the map in action

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=778063986
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2016