More deadpan humor / snarkiness from the Computer/PDA A.I.

CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
"Greetings Survivor. Great job not dying."

"You have chosen not to activate chemical taste neutralization. Have a nice day."

I would love love love more of this kind of dry / deadpan snark or jerky humor from the Computer A.I.; it cracks me up! We're all alone on this planet, our only companion being this A.I and--she's kind of a jerk... :smile:

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
  • OoieGooieOoieGooie Australia Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214893Members
    Sounds like the AI in Portal2. :) Worth playing just for the jerk robots.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    HELL YES! I love humorous robots/computers! Here's a list of my favorites:
    • Marvin (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
    • Bender (Futurama)
    • Claptrap (Borderlands)
    • K9 (Doctor Who)
    • GLaDOS (Portal)
    • C3PO (Star Wars)
    • Loader-Bot (Tales from the Borderlands)
    • Eddie (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
    • Codsworth (Fallout 4)
    • Jarvis (Iron Man)
    • R2D2 (Star Wars)
    • Holly (Red Dwarf)

Which one's your favorite (it doesn't need to be in this list)?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Bender is my personal favorite, hes such an a$$ at times :smiley: altho Karen (computer wife of Plankton in spongebob) is a close 2nd
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    I'm working on it. :)

Is Coranth talking about JUNO? Or just the game in general? Unless you have actually been hired by Unknown Worlds to create AI dialog and personality?! :)
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    It'll be freakin' cool to be alone with an AI with sarky/almost annoying humour! Just watch these vids for some illustration:

An animation of the original HHG2TG radio series:

One of Holly's best bits from Red Dwarf:

K9 in School reunion:

Best of GLaDOS in Portal 2:

Best of Claptrap in the newest Borderlands game:

Coranth wrote: »
    I would love love love more of this kind of dry / deadpan snark or jerky humor from the Computer A.I.; it cracks me up! We're all alone on this planet, our only companion being this A.I and--she's kind of a jerk... :smile:

I totally agree! We need to try to come up with some randomly funny lines!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Is Coranth talking about JUNO? Or just the game in general? Unless you have actually been hired by Unknown Worlds to create AI dialog and personality?! :)

I wish! 'Aurora Falls' is strictly an unpaid fan-fic treatment of the game.

JUNO and IANTO are being written in such a way that their personalities gradually evolve. How they'll eventually turn out as characters is still a fluid situation at the moment.

• shadwoblade6662shadwoblade6662 Florida Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215038Members
    could we make an interface that we could interact with the AI programming?
    Is it ok to bring this back? I really don't want this idea to be forgotten, it HAS to happen!
    Is it me, or have the Devs started working on this?

THAT is awesome! I want more of this!
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Is it me, or have the Devs started working on this?

THAT is awesome! I want more of this!

It was already implemented in the base game once, but was removed due to parental complaints.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members

More trustworthy and totally reliable information brought to you by:
    TVTropesLogo.png
    I have some ideas about some comments that the A.I can say when a certain event happens.
    • *Upon seeing the Aurora* "Well, that was an unfortunate fail"
    • *Upon seeing the reaper* "If you don't mind, I'm gonna switch myself off. Or even if you do mind, as a matter of fact. Anyway, hasta la vista!"
    • *Upon the PDA being randomly put in the players pocket* "Hey, can you get me out please? There's a massive hole here. Reminds me of that movie, Attack of the Killer Gooseberries"
    • *Upon using the transfuser* "Oh no, I always hated mermaids"
    • *Upon cooking a fish alive* "There you go, you've chosen not to kill it first. It just spent its last seconds in pain. But it's not gone bad, you can still eat it."

Comment more of your ideas, we need more!
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    "Great job! you welded a hole closed on a generator!"
    Yay, the seamoth joke was brought back!
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    anything with claptrap is terrible. except borderlands... seriously, having the ability to kill them would be godsend. so, having it as an AI would be rage inducing. other Ai examples wouldn't be bad, just sarcastic
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    anything with claptrap is terrible. except borderlands... seriously, having the ability to kill them would be godsend. so, having it as an AI would be rage inducing. other Ai examples wouldn't be bad, just sarcastic

The ability to kill the a.i. in comical ways is totally awesome and as a fundamental part of the survival gear's code it would just re-spawn the next morning on system powerup/diagnostic cycle. Maybe something like a special version camera drone that spawns from a console inside if your base (does seem a bit close to a halo reference). This could serve as a fantastic diversion from the task of survival and could even serve as a reason alone to jump back into an endgame save as the more you explore and acquire more ways open to abuse the ai. Even if it was made aware of the previous days events the response could be along the lines of : "Research indicates psychological health is a number one concern in any survival scenario and it seemed you needed to vent some stress. I really did have the best day being terminated and then doing nothing productive for you."
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    "Captain I appeared to have shut down as you needed to vent stress yesterday, all systems are nominal and we are ready to proceed with the day."
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    edited July 2016
    Slackerstu wrote: »
    I really did have the best day being terminated and then doing nothing productive for you."

@Slackerstu That sounds like something GlaDOS would say. As hilarious as it would be to have GlaDOS running your seabase.... no. All of the no. That would be taking survival to a terrifying new level.

"Have I mentioned that gasopod pods contain deadly neurotoxin?"
    When you're stuck in a cave and you ask for ideas.
    "I have a million ideas. They all point to certain death."

I didn't make this one up, btw. It's in fact a quote.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    When you're stuck in a cave and you ask for ideas.
    "I have a million ideas. They all point to certain death."

I didn't make this one up, btw. It's in fact a quote.

Marvin!
    @Sidchicken I was expecting you to be the first to get it lol.
    @Darwin-Evolution I can't possibly imagine why that would be.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    This would actually make it more thrilling when the A.I is actually being serious; you know something serious is happening when the A.I isn't cracking jokes, for example if she told jokes for the entire first eighth of the game, and then the Aurora begins to meltdown ready to explode, and the lines stay exactly the same, and then the explosion hits. And the A.I tells you that she's going to check for hostile life around the Aurora, and then cracks a joke about the reapers or something. Just ups the tension that little bit more. They did this with Wheatley in Portal 2.
    Wheatley was a good robot, telling jokes and being funny, and then when he began his descent he stopped the jokes and sent Chell into the old testing facility. Then he's back to being funny. It shows when the stakes are at hand.
    Even when Wheatley was being "serious" he was still pretty funny. For that matter, GlaDOS is pretty funny even when she's being completely malevolent.