List of old and annoying bugs that need fixing!

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Morning chaps,

This thread probably been done already but I figured why the hell not, this thread will serve as a collation of all the bugs which we deem to be the most annoying or gameplay interfering that's meets any one of these three criterias;-
  • Simply forgotten about
  • Placed on "low" priority
  • Deemed unimportant enough to warrant fixing.

This thread aims to change all that! I can only think of two straight off the top of my head which I'll be sure to add more once I start up NS2.exe.

1. Facing the wrong direction upon spawning, you could be looking at the a lerk causing havok in your base, you know he is 1 or 2 bullets away from dying, upon spawning the game decides the floor needs a clean! **This was fixed however, reports coming in that it has come back again, can someone confirm?**
2. If the player is spawned and afk with you next in queue, you become "stuck" on him resorting to performing acrobatics over and around him.
3. Trying to throw a grenade just as you are about to die never actually explodes. **This is now a feature :smiley: **
4. Rifle jamming (even though I haven't seen this in awhile).

*Will be subject to editing once I load the game again!

Comments

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    1. There were a couple of threads awhile back that demonstrated how you could place structures like observatories inside pillars and walls.

2. The cyst bug feature where the game decides you don't have a valid path to extend your cyst chain and you have to kill your cyst or take a detour around it that still doesn't connect the cyst chain.

3. The actual cyst feature where you destroy a cyst by placing a cyst too close to another or if you try to extend a cyst chain too quickly before the cyst got connected. Please change it to manual killing of cysts.

4. The other cyst feature that shows the same infestation range even though there is a height difference that prevents infestation from reaching the full radius.

5. A cyst bug that allows cysts (and mines) to be placed upside down inside the floor.

6. That cysts exist at all.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2016
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    1. Facing the wrong direction upon spawning, you could be looking at the a lerk causing havok in your base, you know he is 1 or 2 bullets away from dying, upon spawning the game decides the floor needs a clean!
    2. If the player is spawned and afk with you next in queue, you become "stuck" on him resorting to performing acrobatics over and around him.

To me those are easily the most annyoing bugs at he moment.

I would also like to add the one where you look straight down at the start of a round. Probably related.
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    1. When you log out of the CC, you face a different direction than when you logged in. (This is recent.)
    2. When you log back in to the CC, the research progress UI gets reset. (This is very old.) Added to Trello - Foxy
    3. The quickswitch button behaves oddly right after you spawn, or egg, or exit the CC. For both teams, you spawn with weapon1. For marines, quickswitch takes you to weapon2. For aliens, quickswitch takes you to the highest weapon available—unless you're a gorge with bile, in which case it's bilebomb (weapon3) instead of babbler ball (weapon4). But if an upgrade finishes while you're alive, then your quickswitch immediately becomes the most recent upgrade, overriding whatever you had previously. This means that for aliens the behavior of the quickswitch button changes as the round progresses. The most annoying consequences of this are related to xenocide: a skulk has quickswitch set from bite to para, then later he quickswitches and fires. Surprise, his khamm got xeno a few seconds ago, now he's exploded. From then on, instead of quickswitching directly to para after he spawns or eggs (which worked for the beginning and middle of the game), he must remember to manually set his quickswitch to parasite, otherwise he might accidentally explode.
      Also, the chair and hive reset your quickswitch, but not your primary. So for example if you enter the CC with your pistol, then log out, you will find that quickswitch does not work.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thought the AFK get pushed away. Has the push been lowered / removed?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    _INTER_ wrote: »

It seems to have been removed or does not work correctly.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    _INTER_ wrote: »

It seems to have been removed or does not work correctly.

I don't think it works properly or it doesn't push them away far enough
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Pistol and Rifle jamming randomly :trollface:
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Aeglos wrote: »
    6. That cysts exist at all.

This guy, knows what's up
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I actually haven't had that in a while. At all.
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    I've found that when you are stuck in a prior respawner, crouching for any amount of time will get you unstuck.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    Hive stats not showing KDR (it was suposed to be fixed by hive 2.0 in october 2015, but only added to "doing" on the trello in january. And now it's in 'TO DO")
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016

I actually haven't had that in a while. At all.

It has a tendency to show up once and a while when you least expect it, even if absent from the buglist for a long time now :D
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Lifeform Eggs are visible/detectable by marine team several ways (beyond whichever one is being misted).

Looking at your map, lifeform eggs appear in their different form for the marine team, rather than just being another egg. They look like how they look to fellow aliens on the map.

Commanders can click on eggs and determine which one is a lifeform that way.

They used to show up the same highlight for friends if they were your friend, but Idk if this is still the case.
  • sensen Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205292Members
    Last night our commander was unable to evolve a shift hive. Said he'd had this bug many times before. I have seen this happen before, but it's been many months.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are you still able to detect enemies if they are close enough to a resource tower? Is that still a thing?
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Are you still able to detect enemies if they are close enough to a resource tower? Is that still a thing?

I notice this with power nodes but not with extractors.
    Oh, I'm not sure this is quite what you're looking for, but in spectate mode the interface showing the alien stats on the left hand side of the screen frequently covers part of where people's names are displayed for voicecomm, at least at 1080p.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think normal buildings don't have LoS any more, but if so, that's definitely a bug. I know powernodes still do.

Also the map "seeing" through thing walls/doors bug is annoying.
    Purpose of this thread is to garner enough attention for the developers to notice and finally bring attention to long standing bugs that we are tired of, keep it up guys!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Egg bug in containment on refinery. By this I mean you can have another egg spawn inside your egg while egging and you die (or something). I've had this happen while evolving to onos before and have witnessed it happen to others a couple times.

I'll try to list more as I remember.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016

I'm fairly certain that the fix for this was in a recent patch.
    2cough wrote: »
    Egg bug in containment on refinery. By this I mean you can have another egg spawn inside your egg while egging and you die (or something). I've had this happen while evolving to onos before and have witnessed it happen to others a couple times.

I'll try to list more as I remember.

I believe this is actually the death trigger bug, not anything to do with eggs. And if I'm not mistaken, the fix for this went out with the last patch.

Most of these have already been reported. That said, keep these coming.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2016
    Keats wrote: »
    The quickswitch button behaves oddly right after you spawn, or egg, or exit the CC. ... xenocide
    Thanks for the repro! I didn't know why xenocide kept being selected. Is there another bug where it switches to xenocide automatically when it is first researched?
    Calego wrote: »
    Lifeform Eggs are visible/detectable by marine team several ways (beyond whichever one is being misted).
    Yup. This is a major one for me as well, and has the potential to ruin the experience for people.

Today as a fade and some months ago as an onos on Refinery I got stuck on the edge of the vent connecting Falls with Chasm, on the falls side. Unstuck didn't work, I couldn't egg. Both times I had to !kill my higher lifeform. I haven't spent any time trying to reproduce this, but it is unfun.
    Zavaro wrote: »

I'm fairly certain that the fix for this was in a recent patch.
    Brave words :D

The odd thing is that it sometimes makes a return
  • ydyydy Join Date: 2014-10-21 Member: 199067Members
    edited March 2016
    • Onos rumbling sound effects can stick to a point of the map and loop long after onos is gone/dead
    • Pipeline hive on ns2_veil has an invisible wall you can't shoot through up by the ceiling, just north of the tech point I think
    • Pathing obstructions can persist between different rounds of the same map (seen this for example many times with Oxygenation on ns2_jambi); reloading map fixes and resetting round does not
    • Number of players required to pass a vote can increase when new players connect, but the displayed number of votes required does not update in the GUI (edit: see Absurdon's post below)
    • Evolve menu allows you to spend time clicking lifeform and upgrade options even if you won't be able to egg in your current location, and when you reopen the menu after moving to deal with that, your selections are gone
    • Alien commander sometimes cannot access lifeform evolutions menu of selected hive if it is not in the commander's current view
    • The built-to-broken state change on power nodes removes any existing parasite
    • In addition to more reasonable things like your health and ammo/energy, when you die your HUD is purged of things that are still relevant and that you still very much want to know, like current personal resources, team resources, RT counter, etc
    • Movable alien structures can be accidentally waypointed to follow players though there's no use for this
    • Waypointing a drifter to move fails if accidentally done over a resource node or tech point, even when bare; just move to nearest valid point instead
    • 'Request drifter' and 'Request nutrient mist' make the same sound
    • 'Request nutrient mist' is only accessible when egged, but it could be used just as well to call before egging or to request that nearby alien structures be misted
    • Welder often fails to connect with unbuilt objects as robustly as the build tool
    • Bare tech points and bare resource nodes cannot be parasited, seems weird compared to behavior with bare power nodes
    • 'Need order' name differs from use, could instead call it something like 'Signal commander'
    • 'Request drifter' same as above so that aliens have an analogous all-purpose tool to get commander's attention
    • 'Follow me' on aliens does nothing, could just grab the sound asset from NS1 just like the others and make this work
    • Votes are a bit subtle in-game and basically invisible when alt-tabbed, should make a very small sound when a vote begins and possibly also another sound for the last few seconds
    • Aliens only get an egg count on the HUD when dead, but this information would be useful at all times
    • Clog viewmodel shown when wielding the clog placement tool blocks view more than necessary, could be more transparent
    • Gorges fail to notice nearby stuff needs building, could add some small indicator
    • Commander-issued map pings are identical to player-issued ones, could instead use a slightly different sound and color
    • Pregame there's no nice way to see whether the other team has a comm, could put the commander badge icon next to each team's name in the scoreboard when they have a commander (pregame only)
    • No indication whether your commander is looking at you, could add a small HUD icon for this
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Almost every time I leave the hive, the first time I click to bite someone, it doesn't work. I have to click once, then only after that am I able to bite.

The bug has existed for several months now - Maaaaybe even a year but probably not that long. Most people think I'm crazy when I mention it because they've never experienced it before. However, I've had a handful of players confirm that it happens to them too. I'm pretty sure the same applies for marine comm, but is less noticeable.

It's fucking maddening because I always forget about it. I jump out of the hive to defend an rt/upgrade, and in the heat of the moment I neglect to click beforehand and end up dying because of it.
  • AbsurdonAbsurdon Germany Join Date: 2015-02-09 Member: 201274Members
    Dunno if @ydy ment this. with
    ydy wrote: »
    • Number of players required to pass a vote can increase when new players connect, but the displayed number of votes required does not update in the GUI

cause for me it updates and says it needs more votes but:
    • when ppl join a server the number of votes requiered to pass a vote increases but these players can neither see nor vote in this vote (pressing F1 does nothing)
    • votes passed already can fail this way
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    sen wrote: »
    Today as a fade and some months ago as an onos on Refinery I got stuck on the edge of the vent connecting Falls with Chasm, on the falls side. Unstuck didn't work, I couldn't egg. Both times I had to !kill my higher lifeform. I haven't spent any time trying to reproduce this, but it is unfun.

I had this same issue, I've reported it in the internal map thread so it should hopefully get fixed soon.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Foxy wrote: »
    sen wrote: »

I had this same issue, I've reported it in the internal map thread so it should hopefully get fixed soon.

Do people still read the annotates from the console command or is that outdated already?
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members

Can we just fix this once and for all?

Simple fix, kill anyone on the spawner when someone spawns. Bonus achievement earned - death by spawning.