Atmospheric Territories extension now live

1234568»

Comments

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    IntrepidH wrote: »
    funny how vehemently people oppose this, i played on a server that had lights back to red and i hated it, A.T mod makes the lighting 100X better imo, I can't believe people have complained this much about it, I could see aliens better without the red lighting, but i guess thats just me.
    just had to throw my 2cents in there because the disagreement on this change is very unfair. and is probly the best official change i've seen since 2012 (maybe other than metabolize replacing vortex :P )

I have to agree with this 100%

I absolutely LOVE the new atmospheric territories lighting. It just improves the game so much while having no downside.

I never even realized before how unbelievably bad the red lighting was until it was gone.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    People fail to realise that NS2 can go in either two directions.

1. Make gameplay changes to shake up the old, stale, boring gameplay we have become used to playing for quite some time now and risk angering the player base.

2. Make minor changes either bug fixing, small tweaks & optimisations which effectively CDT was doing as this was the only changes they were permitted to make by UWE and risk upsetting the player base.

Now that PDT have been given the freedom to change the game for the good or bad despite having the best intentions they get shat upon, which can you imagine how demoralising and depressing that can be?

My question to all of you is this?

You want new shiney things to play with but are unwilling to embrace change? The moment gameplay is altered for better or worse all hell breaks loose and forces PDT to withdraw their work.

It's either one or the other, you can't have both, quit being spoiled brats all the time. It seems the attitude of people, particularly the ones who spam and cry on the forums "OMG atmosphere mod is shit, what have they done!? revert!!!" seem to be getting the most attention when they shouldn't.

I personally never had an issue with atmos mod but I understand the need for it to be disabled or togglable for competitive play is reasonable and left at that.

Like a spoiled baby the community demands more and more and when they are given something, it is thrown in the face of the team.

And you fucking wonder why people get disheartened. Grow up and adapt. This game is called NATURAL SELECTION is it not?

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Yojimbo wrote: »

1. Make gameplay changes to shake up the old, stale, boring gameplay we have become used to playing for quite some time now and risk angering the player base.

2. Make minor changes either bug fixing, small tweaks & optimisations which effectively CDT was doing as this was the only changes they were permitted to make by UWE and risk upsetting the player base.

Now that PDT have been given the freedom to change the game for the good or bad despite having the best intentions they get shat upon, which can you imagine how demoralising and depressing that can be?

You want new shiney things to play with but are unwilling to embrace change? The moment gameplay is altered for better or worse all hell breaks loose and forces PDT to withdraw their work.

It's either one or the other, you can't have both, quit being spoiled brats all the time. It seems the attitude of people, particularly the ones who spam and cry on the forums "OMG atmosphere mod is shit, what have they done!? revert!!!" seem to be getting the most attention when they shouldn't.

I personally never had an issue with atmos mod but I understand the need for it to be disabled or togglable for competitive play is reasonable and left at that.

It didn't to pulled completely undoing all of @McGlaspie's hard work. Like a spoiled baby the community demands more and more and when they are given something, it is thrown in the face of the team.

And you **** wonder why people get disheartened. Grow up and adapt. This game is called NATURAL SELECTION is it not?

BRING ON THE CHANGE!

"In the end, it is important to remember that we cannot become what we want to be, by remaining as we are." - Max DePree

"We all know that change is inevitable. It provides us with a challenge and an opportunity to grow and improve and to attract new members with new ideas." - Ron D. Burton

"He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery." - Harold Wilson

“We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them” - Albert Einstein

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything." - George Bernard Shaw
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yojimbo wrote: »

It didn't to pulled completely undoing all of @McGlaspie's hard work. Like a spoiled baby the community demands more and more and when they are given something, it is thrown in the face of the team.

And you fucking wonder why people get disheartened. Grow up and adapt. This game is called NATURAL SELECTION is it not?

I agree wholeheartedly, however do note that one key point of frustration seems to be that as a community a crapton of ideas were thrown together in that "Simplifying NS2" thread, and a fair number of people probably want to see some of those ideas implemented, rather than out of the blue lighting changes.

For real though, all the Atmospheric stuff needs is some light level tweaking to keep everyone mildly disattisfied. "A good compromise is when both parties are dissatisfied." Make it subtle enough for the people who hate it, but still there enough to have its dramatic effect.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    In order to check if a feature fits competition, one have to state first what are the objectives of competition.

From there, one will able to state the technical context of competition.

From there, one will be able to arbitrate if a particular feature fits competition or how it must be tweaked to fit both competition and public contexts (providing public objectives are stated too).

If it's not acceptable for a context, is has to be toggable in that context. If it's twikable, then twik it.

@Yojimbo imo, you must have a model where added contents shake (or reshuffle) the game, not a model where you have to change the game core. Changing the core is not economically viable as too much things rely on it, it drains too much ressources on maintenance.
    Moreover, changing the core has impacts on mod community, and that leads to a lot of frustration.

Blablabla, sorry for the lecture like chitchat ...
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    Calego wrote: »
    For real though, all the Atmospheric stuff needs is some light level tweaking to keep everyone mildly disattisfied. "A good compromise is when both parties are dissatisfied." Make it subtle enough for the people who hate it, but still there enough to have its dramatic effect.

'Subtle drama' is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it?