Update 289 Now Live! - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• ForlornHopeForlornHope Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Posts: 226 Fully active user
    Keep this up, devs! I'm loving the new attention NS2 is getting and as a result, I'm paying more attention to the game now that it is getting regular updates. The fact the changes are not focused on competitive play for once is fantastic. It's long overdue but you are really making up for lost time. Whammy!
    Space Hero / Alien Throttler / Sex Icon
    IeptBarakatHamlet
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United KingdomMembers, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Posts: 210 Fully active user
    The fact the changes are not focused on competitive play for once is fantastic.

This never happened, fyi.
    2cough
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in KodiakMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Posts: 4,771 Advanced user
    They never had a focus on public play either.
    From my perspective UWE has been trying to both with what little resources they have given to the game. They don't have an AAA budget, let alone an indie game budget. They have the budget of a game that has been out 6 years. I want to say, don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing. I just don't think they have the resources to do it. Unlike many of the people on the forums, I guess I am just happy they are at least trying even though I may not like what they end up doing.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Posts: 226 Fully active user

Really?! This was like the first 2 years of NS2! Hugh was on a mission to make it an eSport.
    Space Hero / Alien Throttler / Sex Icon
  • GrissiGrissi Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Posts: 488 Advanced user

Really?! This was like the first 2 years of NS2! Hugh was on a mission to make it an eSport.

Yea... he gave the comp players quite a bit of headache, but we somehow survived.
    There is no competitive balance or casual players balance. The game is either balanced or not balanced.
    It's the same game after all.

NS1 competitive play

All my posts are my personal view, I do not speak for a community or anyone else.
    ForlornHopeCr4zyb4st4rd
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Posts: 920 mod
    It's not too messy. It's pretty good.

( also frank )
    TGNS Portal | NS2 side-by-side game viewer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    TG's win or lose mod that replaces the concede function is the best of both worlds and should be official.
    NordicIronHorse
  • Deck_Deck_ Members Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Posts: 298 Advanced user
    edited March 2016
    There are over 20 teams signed up the upcoming competitive season of natural selection 2. Then you have veterans like hellrunner and others that are saying veteran pub players aren't liking this change. This definitely affects a good portion of the community. To act like it doesn't or that other people will just fill spots of people that want to leave seems like a conversation we shouldn't be having. We are trying to find the best compromise. I still think the server side toggle eliminates any major problems, and can probably be implemented immediately. For the servers that keep the change, it needs to be updated to keep low settings in mind.
    2coughHEllrunner2k
  • TinkiTinki Members Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Posts: 110 Fully active user

Hmmm BalanceMod ?? You know this update who made a lot of player quit the game because they had to completely relearn aliens movement cause some ns1 comp players wanted wall jump back ?
  • xDragonxDragon Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Posts: 1,954 Fully active user
    FYI wallhop was always in ns2, even before the 'balancemod'.
    Lets see how many more lies I can debunk today.
  • TinkiTinki Members Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Posts: 110 Fully active user
    edited March 2016
    Hey genius :
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=WgjHsyw5WfU
    Or bunny hop if you want to be picky on the terms. But maybe this video is a lie, i don't know you should debunk it.
  • xDragonxDragon Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Posts: 1,954 Fully active user
    maybe try reading the comments, especially the one where he says that was removed and never added.
    +1
    they removed the ability to increase your speed with just straffing, not the one to keep momentum ;)
    But hey maybe you are right, skulk movement didn't change
    I guess you missed all the changes designed around making the movement easier for new players... Oh wait that didn't change either.
    I'm done posting again, what a fucking mistake it was.
    Tinki
  • TheriusTherius Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Posts: 750 Advanced user
    "Focused on competitive play" is usually synonymous to making the game more interesting after you learn the basics. "Focused on public play" seems to be centered around gimmicks and flashy bling-bling that wears off after the first week.
    HEllrunner2kAliteMe9a
  • Deck_Deck_ Members Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Posts: 298 Advanced user
    edited March 2016
    ^People that have played NS for a long time I would guess stayed with it because of gameplay. Not because the rifle looked amazing or they really like how cool it is to tell their friends that play a marine vs alien game. I would think it's because the gameplay sucked them in, and they haven't found a better alternative to playing NS. The gameplay is so different, fast in big moments, satisfying to win as a team, and skill based. Turning the lights down seems to go against some of the skill based part of it. Adding new models/skins and achievements might make it more fun for people to stay with the game. At least it doesn't change the greatest parts of the game. This does, that is why the complaints here.
    HEllrunner2kd4rkAlfradionaut
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Posts: 920 mod
    I'm enjoying the skill of killing in the new lighting.
    TG's win or lose mod that replaces the concede function is the best of both worlds and should be official.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributorMembers, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Posts: 8,194 admin
    How is his anecdotal experience any different than your own @HEllrunner2k ?
    QUOTE (Techercizer @ Feb 3 2012, 10:47 AM) »
    Every time you ask for troubleshooting without providing system info, ATI adds a rendering bug for an upcoming game.

When you feel you need to be rude or angry about a game, just read these links and remember what role you are playing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect
    http://www.eldergame.com/2008/06/taming-the-forum-tiger/
    Nordic
    I don't follow. What are you saying I've done?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Posts: 1,337 Advanced user
    edited March 2016
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    I don't follow. What are you saying I've done?

Trolling *snip* acting like you're pr0 and slaying noobs and that lighting changes add some new level of skill to the game.

In all likelihood you'd get destroyed by people with medicore skill in comp play.

Comments like that quickly make people disregard what you have to say.
    "If great visuals brings players in, great gameplay gets them to stay." - Valve
    I'm genuinely confused about what hell is accusing me of. He struggles with expressing himself.

Whatever my skill level, I'm saying that we'll survive this change. I know some disregard what I have to say.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributorMembers, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Posts: 8,194 admin
    Keep the namecalling and mudslinging to a minimum fellas.
    As I won't be locking a patch thread, this means I have to deal with each of you individually, and I am not a fan of endless warnings.

Keep it clean please.
    QUOTE (Techercizer @ Feb 3 2012, 10:47 AM) »
    Every time you ask for troubleshooting without providing system info, ATI adds a rendering bug for an upcoming game.

When you feel you need to be rude or angry about a game, just read these links and remember what role you are playing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect
    http://www.eldergame.com/2008/06/taming-the-forum-tiger/
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United StatesMembers Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Posts: 729 Advanced user
    Did NS2+ get pulled from the workshop?

If so then I know where the PDT needs to be focusing every ounce of their effort...