AMD GPU problems

RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
I've discovered I might have a major issue with my PC with running Subnautica. For the past few days I've been unable to play the game and for the life of me I can't wrap my head around it. First it happened on experimental as that's what I play. I reported what I was encountering in this thread

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140583/experimental-latest-build-causing-game-freeze-and-subnautica-not-responding#latest

So I was curious and decided to uninstall the game and then install it fresh, to make sure things were going to run okay I opted to not go for the experimental branch just yet. The result of this is that I've encountered the same exact issue I was running into before in the thread I linked on the stable build. This is a red flag for me, this means that something on my PC hardware or software is causing my issue. I've tried running stable with and without the -force -d3d9 command and the result is the exact same.

As soon as I try to enter the water the game screen blacks out and then goes to white and then I get the program is not responding popup from windows.

since I know what's going to be asked here's the output log and also my dxdaig

output - http://pastebin.com/3vxy3HyS

dxdiag - http://pastebin.com/ykmfwWJE

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hi there. You may be suffering from the 'AMD bug' - which is a Unity Engine bug.

We're currently running Unity version 5.2.3f1. Unity have since patched the issue in Unity 5.3.2. We'll hopefully upgrading to this version on the 'experimental' Steam version of Subnautica soon.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Im a proud owner of an AMD gpu and i iz vewy skeered of the AMD monster bug that is dreading us with this game. So far im playing the game without problems but who knows if itll remain like so for me in the future!

**touches wood**
  • ScanianMooseScanianMoose Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-24 Member: 202526Members
    We'll hopefully upgrading to this version on the 'experimental' Steam version of Subnautica soon.

Oh yes please, it's more or less unplayable as it is at the moment. My problem is not quite the same, for me the driver simply stops working, resulting in a frozen screen, but the game itself keeps working, i.e. I can still move and hear all sounds.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited February 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Hi there. You may be suffering from the 'AMD bug' - which is a Unity Engine bug.

We're currently running Unity version 5.2.3f1. Unity have since patched the issue in Unity 5.3.2. We'll hopefully upgrading to this version on the 'experimental' Steam version of Subnautica soon.

Crossing mah fingers cause out of all the games I own this is probably one of the most visual pleasing and calming games in my library.

edit update:

well trying to play the game today has amounted to nothing, still getting the same issue when I tried earlier and the last update that was around 12 mbs is causing my graphics driver to die. Guess maybe it's time I shelve the game for a while and maybe come back in a few months *sigh*

edit 2:

just for good measure Obraxis here's the output log I got

http://pastebin.com/Z7j8y8La

these two lines stuck out like a sore thumb at the bottom.
    d3d11: failed to create vertex buffer of size 48000 [0x887A0005]
    d3d11: failed to create index buffer of size 13650 [0x887A0005]

Further reporting in crashes/black screening. Also with the -force -d3d9 the black screening happens during initializing of a new game. Without the command the game loads up to the point your in the pod. Going into the water causes the black screen after a few seconds.

This is on version 28636

http://pastebin.com/piYsbjAV
    more output log report of continuous crashes, latest experimental build

http://pastebin.com/ASBCvrWN
  • IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
    edited February 2016
    i have the same problem
    please fix it as soon as possible my game is unplayable
    when will it be fixed by? (not exactly but like a month) is it on Trello? (so i can follow it) @Obraxis
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Icewave wrote: »
    when will it be fixed by? (not exactly but like a month) is it on Trello? (so i can follow it) @Obraxis

@Icewave we just upgraded our Unity version to 5.3.3f1 on Steam Experimental. We're hopeful this will fix the remaining AMD issues (we dont have too much control over GPU issues). Use this guide to switch and test: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Experimental_Mode
    edited March 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »

@Icewave we just upgraded our Unity version to 5.3.3f1 on Steam Experimental. We're hopeful this will fix the remaining AMD issues (we dont have too much control over GPU issues). Use this guide to switch and test: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Experimental_Mode

Hmm just tried it and I got past the loading screen but as soon as I'm able to move around my graphics driver decides to take a dump.

http://pastebin.com/exmVKTpk

I might have to end up getting a new GPU in order to play Subnautica in the future if this is going to be the mainstay for the future of the game.
    It didn't work my AMD driver crashed again @Obraxis need the output?
    Renamed the thread, that way people who have AMD cards and are experiencing the same issue can post here.
    It didn't work my AMD driver crashed again @Obraxis need the output?

Yeah I'd post the log anyways, more information for the devs the better
    here output: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Subnautica/Subnautica_Data/output_log.txt
  • kurgan2001kurgan2001 USA Join Date: 2016-03-03 Member: 213763Members
    here output: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Subnautica/Subnautica_Data/output_log.txt

You need to copy it on pastebin and link it here.
  • kurgan2001kurgan2001 USA Join Date: 2016-03-03 Member: 213763Members
    I'm running an AMD apu .. A8-6410 w/ Radeon R5 graphics (Beema) and I can run Subnautica ok-ish. Its more the inital screen giving me issue (New game, Load, etc.. screen) .. it's all black with no graphics except for those buttons and it runs very very slow. I click a button and wait. Once I'm actually in the game, it's not much of an issue. It happened right after the H2O update and since. I dunno what code changed, but that's what did it for me.
    kurgan2001 wrote: »

You need to copy it on pastebin and link it here.

not so much all you need to do is copy that link he put up and paste it in the address bar and load it. The text for the log then shows up. Sometimes that doesn't always work though.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    not so much all you need to do is copy that link he put up and paste it in the address bar and load it. The text for the log then shows up. Sometimes that doesn't always work though.

You do notice why the link he posted will not work, right? And why he was correctly advised to upload the file and then post a link to said upload?

Yes I do, I've tried to explain to him to copy everything in the log to pastebin but he says he can't figure it out. All he has to do is paste it there, click the green button on the bottom of the page and wait. The grab the address to it and and copy it, then paste it here.
    click the green button on the bottom of the page
    sorry didn't see that LOL