What is your main Operating System that you want to run Subnautica on?

Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
Partially because I'm curious, but also because it may help inform development processes in the future.

Thanks for participating!

Comments

• MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    The Devs already have this info through steam analysis and their own bug-reporting system. But we can be curious anyway :lol:
  • Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    Well kind of, if they look at my Steam statistics they will see Windows 10.... because that what I tell my Linux installation of wine to show Steam.

Also, there is the minor difference in the phrasing of my poll:
    "What is your Main Operating System that you want to run Subnautica on?"
    vs
    "What is your Main Operating System that you currently run Subnautica on?"
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    If it were down to Windows and Mac, Windows would win out. Mac mice have only one button and (maybe) a middle trackball. This could screw up gameplay for Mac users.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    If it were down to Windows and Mac, Windows would win out. Mac mice have only one button and (maybe) a middle trackball. This could screw up gameplay for Mac users.

They come standard with 2 buttons now days. But windows is still better for gaming.
  • Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    I wish I could add XBone to the poll now... :|
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2016
    Jacara wrote: »

They come standard with 2 buttons now days. But windows is still better for gaming.

2 Buttons? When did they get around to that? (Man alive, I feel old...)

But yeah on Windows... Besides, PC components (GPUs, RAM, Motherboard) can be upgraded (so Linux has a chance as well). Macs cannot; Apple's hardware is mostly proprietary and non-serviceable... unless I'm missing something there, as well?
    Supposedly UWE are developing for Mac as well as Windows currently and there are many similarities between the current version of MacOS and Linux (OpenGL for example) but, on this poll at least, Macs are not represented at all.

I'm also curious about the announcement of an XBone version coming soon, but a lack of SteamOS progress...which had been announced earlier. My observation of console games is that they tend to oversimplify the game controls to match the controller hardware which is far from ideal.
  • sarkymansarkyman Latvia Join Date: 2016-03-14 Member: 214224Members
  • GreenKeldeoGreenKeldeo Cedar Rapids, IA, USA Join Date: 2016-03-20 Member: 214600Members
    Partially because I'm curious, but also because it may help inform development processes in the future.

Although I would also just love it on Android ;) , That would probably take a very long time to program.
    :(
    I don't know how viable it would be on Android... Subnautica loves to eat some ram.
  • Raven83Raven83 UK Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218979Members
    There's talks on Steam that it could be at final release within a couple of months. Has anyone heard from developers about the Linux client? Sale or not, i want this game :)
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Would cpus and gpus in android devices even be able to run it?
  • SmarterThanAllSmarterThanAll Holland Michigan Join Date: 2016-06-24 Member: 219021Members
    I wish I could add XBone to the poll now... :|

Xbox One runs on Windows 10

Raven83 wrote: »
    There's talks on Steam that it could be at final release within a couple of months. Has anyone heard from developers about the Linux client? Sale or not, i want this game :)

Not as of yet... (and it is unplayable currently under wine.)
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members

I have a Mac and a mouse with three buttons. All types of input devices are compatible with mac

• joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members

But yeah on Windows... Besides, PC components (GPUs, RAM, Motherboard) can be upgraded (so Linux has a chance as well). Macs cannot; Apple's hardware is mostly proprietary and non-serviceable... unless I'm missing something there, as well?

yeah you are missing stuff for sure. Mac's can be upgraded, and mine is an awesome gaming machine

• waterlubberwaterlubber Near an ocean Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219589Members
    I would take Linux over Mac, but mainly, if they consider porting to DX12, I hope they go for Vulkan instead.

Vulkan is avaiable on Windows (7, 8 and 10!), Mac, Linux, and even mobile platforms, is royalty-free, open source, and has all the benefits of DX 12 without Win10 exclusivity

What is your main Operating System that you want to run Subnautica on? 94 votes
    Microsoft Windows 71% 67 votes
    Apple OsX 0% 0 votes
    Linux 25% 24 votes
    SteamOS 3% 3 votes

Merandix wrote: »
    The Devs already have this info through steam analysis and their own bug-reporting system. But we can be curious anyway :lol:

I'm curious Devs, how does the Steam Analysis stack up to this poll's results?
  • Raven83Raven83 UK Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218979Members
    Worth remembering that steam surveys don't poll steamos.
    I've not seen anything from the devs on the linux support for a while - any chance of an update devs? Even if its a "still working on it" or "given up" response
  • rikkiirikkii Spain Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219675Members
    edited July 2016
    @Raven83, quoting @Obraxis:
    For now we're not working on a SteamOS port. We're focusing on Windows, Mac & Xbox. We have a very small team so any platform we support we want to make sure we can do so fully.
    link to the quoted comment

Guess all we can do is wait. :'(
  • ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
    Looking at the speed of my pc I think its powered by a ox in a hamster wheel.