The Natural Selection 2 Achievement suggestions & ideas thread

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Hey guys,

With achievements looming over our heads, I thought it would be a good idea to propose our own achievement suggestions, please feel free to suggest what you would think be a "good" achievement to unlock in NS2.

Who knows, if the devs like your idea enough it *may* sneak into the official game itself? :smiley:

Here's my two cents;-

Naturally Selected - "Kill a skulk, gorge, lerk, fade & onos in one round!".

Bogey! - "Hit a lerk mid-air with a grenade launcher".

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    What about "ITS A TRAP!" Or "two flies in one hit" Achievement.
    Kill a skulk and a harvester with a mine.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited February 2016

"IT'S A TRAP!" would be perfect for having to kill a fade or onos with a mine..

Which would make killing a skulk and extractor with one explosive a good challenge for "two flies in one hit". (could also call it two birds with one stone)

Also how about

Blade master - kill an onos with the axe (or knives/swords if they ever get added)

• RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    "David against Goliath": Kill an Exo as a skulk.

"Bob the Builder": Build 20 structures.

"Team Force": Play with at least 4 Steam-Friends in one game.

"True Friendship": Kill your Steam-Friend.

"lone wolf": Wield your own Exo.

"Big foot": Destroy 5 eggs with an exo by walking over them.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about a super duper hard achievement;-

STRIKE! "Kill 10 lifeforms with a single cluster grenade" :smiley:
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Keep the achievments to things that actually make sense to pursue.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    _INTER_ wrote: »

Why?

I can't see "strike" being unobtainable, especially on high player count servers when you have a mass of skulks trying to chew down a phasegate?

Improbable? Likely

Impossible? Certainly not!
    edited February 2016
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Impossible? Certainly not!

Uhh in 2300+ hours the most kills i've ever seen from a single cluster grenade (or any grenade for that matter) is 3... I think 10 would be pretty damned impossible to achieve without finding a bunch of people actively going for it.... ie taking turns as the grenade thrower while 10 others all group up and let themselves be killed...

Not to mention the ONLY way you could even remotely have a chance at such an achievement would be to play on those god awful NS2large servers. You'll never find 10 skulks chomping on one structure when there are only 11 players max on a team... You'd basically be forcing people to play on servers they would never willingly play on (for performance reasons alone) which is a very bad idea...

If you want a super duper hard achievement do something like

Slayer of beasts - kill an onos without any help from your team..

or

Fast hands - Kill a single skulk by landing a blow with all 3 weapons.. rifle, pistol, axe. (or shotgun, pistol, welder.. you get the idea)

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    How about archievements wich helps new player to understand the game?

"Powerranger" - Defend the base powernode after its getting attacked (30 times)
    "Gatemaster" - Defend a Phase gate after its getting attacked (50 times)
    "Observer" - Open the map after you hear "base under attack" (200 times)
    "SilentBob" - Press shift to sneak as skulk before an engagement (100 times)

etc
    edited February 2016
    dePARA wrote: »
    How about archievements wich helps new player to understand the game?

"Powerranger" - Defend the base powernode after its getting attacked (30 times)
    "Gatemaster" - Defend a Phase gate after its getting attacked (50 times)
    "Observer" - Open the map after you hear "base under attack" (200 times)
    "SilentBob" - Press shift to sneak as skulk before an engagement (100 times)

etc

I just assumed achievements like that were such basic obvious stuff that they'd be in the list of achievements we already have (that I haven't bothered to look at yet since they're locked)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    Why?
    Because I wan't to play the game and not play achievments hunting.
    Like people crying for "Grenades or Eject" every game and then run around doing nothing but throwing grenades uselessly.

edited February 2016
    Haha I got a disagree from @Frozen

Oh that's fitting!
    Farking h8rs!
    Get 5 disaggres on one post.
    Why?
    Like people crying for "Grenades or Eject" every game and then run around doing nothing but throwing grenades uselessly.

Have you not played on woozas :lol:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Why?

Have you not played on woozas :lol:

So basing official achievements around unofficial supported player numbers?

I'd rather not see those "non gameplay related" achievements, especially not those grind achievements. What's next, idle servers :D
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @Saffron_baker It's because I really don't think things like that fit, it would take multiple games of committing to try to have an rt at the health when a skulk comes by to hit the mine and damage the rt. Maybe if we could friendly fire mines.

I've never even seen a mine kill a harvester.
    Anyways, back on topic, suggestions & ideas or GTFO :wink::smiley:
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    How about some hidden acheivments that don't describe what they are until you do them?

One for flashing each lifeform for example. This could be sustained if the description, even upon obtaining the acheivment, was something super vauge like "Wrote a bad check."

Also something should be there for flashing a lifeform (marine side). A la "B*tchslapped" (hey now, they say it in game...), or "How DID I get to be so good?".

Additionally, some arbitrary "save X RTs", "Attack X RTs", and maybe one for gorges "Keep a harvester alive while the comm recysts."

Perhaps "Don't lose an RT whole game" as another hidden one.

"Cheeky Bastard" -- Attack the enemy's main base RT.
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    One problem I often see in pubs is that people seem to think that a balance match is when aliens hold at least 4 harvesters and 2 tech points without higher lifeforms (or they have only 1 lerk and no fades). And they hold with skulks until they have multiple onos on the field.

I think that the problem is how scary and unforgiving is to go lerk or fade, so new players (and even many "veterans") keep just going gorge and onos all the time. I suggest the achievements:
    - I can fly: evolve 20 times to lerk
    - I will never walk again: evolve 20 times to fade

And maybe don't make the equivalent for gorge or onos. I don't know, whatever you find the best.

Also I think that is important that the achievements escalate to much higher numbers. At the moment, killing 15 extractors can be done in 1 day by any veteran.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Anyways, back on topic, suggestions & ideas or GTFO :wink::smiley:

Oki, done that before might as well slap em in here again. You gonna make this the official unofficial achievement thread there buddy, time time around than :tongue:
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Team based and teaching based achievements aren't that hard to come up with though, just harder to implement from a coding side I think...

• Marines:
      • Teaching:
        • The perfect order: Construct the powernode before the RT
        • Alright, let's move out: As a team do a perfect split ~40-40% of the team to both naturals and ~20% basebuild (armory/obs/arms)
      • Team:
        • Keep your spacesuit on (1/1000): Weld your fellow marines
        • Robot Mechanic (1/1000): Weld your EXOs/ARCs
        • Shoot at my feet! Kill a skulk from a distance, engaged in combat with a fellow marine
    • Aliens:
      • Teaching:
        • Reloading sounds are tasty: Kill a marine that is in the mids of reloading his weapon
        • Behind enemy lines: Place a connected tunnel behind enemy lines and keep it alive for at least 5 minutes (powered rooms with marine structures?)
      • Team:
        • Reach out and touch someone: Parasite an unparasited marine engaged in combat, from outside combat
        • Group hug: Attack a marine with multiple skulks
        • He who smelled it dealt it (1/1000): Umbra your teammates engaged in combat
        • The Hive Mind is watching: As a Khamaander help out your aliens with ink/pustules/spikes and while the effect is active have your aliens kill the affected marine
        • something about bilebombs and healing and stuff...

you know... stuff that actively push players to play the game as intended. number based or simple achievement unlocks and so on...
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think achievements that promote proper gameplay is fine, but be careful that you can't get too many of them by 'accident' by playing your first game. Also the hidden achievements is a fun idea, but what would happen is that someone would google it, and then it stops being a secret. It's kind of the same with secret rooms, If you really want to find them, you can probably google the location.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited February 2016
    Over time I have developed some sort of "ideal achievement difficulty/time investment distribution" games should follow because I'm addicted.
    I think ns2's "implemented" (we can't unlock them yet) achievements lack something for the vets, no pun intended. However, due to the nature of the game, everything that goes actively against pro active play (e.g. "blow yourself up with a grenade 10 times") should be avoided. The easiest way to fix this would to increase some numbers - for example, if I recall correctly there's achievements for defending 1/10/20 (?) harvesters. Why not go up to 100 or 200? Just don't do what Insurgency did, please - it is pretty much impossible to get 25,000 kills. Keep it realistic.

Also, please, please, PLEASE add achievements for welding fellow marines, say, at 90/500/2000/5000 points of marine armor. Gettin' a weld in pub games is still so hard. No one welds!
    For reference, 5000/70 = 71 (roughly).
    Over time I have developed some sort of "ideal achievement difficulty/time investment distribution" games should follow because I'm addicted.
    I think ns2's "implemented" (we can't unlock them yet) achievements lack something for the vets, no pun intended. However, due to the nature of the game, everything that goes actively against pro active play (e.g. "blow yourself up with a grenade 10 times") should be avoided. The easiest way to fix this would to increase some numbers - for example, if I recall correctly there's achievements for defending 1/10/20 (?) harvesters. Why not go up to 100 or 200? Just don't do what Insurgency did, please - it is pretty much impossible to get 25,000 kills. Keep it realistic.

Also, please, please, PLEASE add achievements for welding fellow marines, say, at 90/500/2000/5000 points of marine armor. Gettin' a weld in pub games is still so hard. No one welds!
    For reference, 5000/70 = 71 (roughly).

I understand what you are saying, like progressive levels of achievement, this idea is fine providing that the numbers aren't ridiculous such as weld 100000 points of structure damage.
    The support ones could also be done in the AHEM CoD way, not achievement based, but during a round. you know those "Master Boss Sergeant Mega Weld" popups. I love those when doing the medic thing and see those "the doctor" "Revive spread" in Dirty Bomb :D
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Haha I got a disagree from @Frozen

Oh that's fitting!
    Farking h8rs!
    Get 5 disaggres on one post.

Here, have another. Do you want a breakdown of the disagree with that as well?
    Just make sure the achievements don't teach bad behavior. Killing an onos with an axe would be a terrible idea for example. You should not try to axe an onos.

that should be a secret one ;)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    For some fluff achievements that can be achieved through normal play or accidentally.

Rookie: Follow 10 orders
    Soldier: Follow 100 orders
    Veteran: Follow 1000 orders
    Grand opening: Have 4 aliens use your Gorge Tunnel in 30 seconds of it being finished
    Cow tipping: Kill an Onos with an Exo Punch
    Tunnel Hazard: Kill a Gorge in it's Gorge Tunnel
    Minesweeper: Destroy 10 mines with projectiles
    I'm covering you: Kill 2 aliens while a marine is building nearby
    Lost & Found: Re-acquire your previous shotgun/grenade launcher/flamethrower
    Economically Savvy: Reset the expiration timer of a fallen shotgun/grenade launcher/flamethrower and have a marine pick it up
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just make sure the achievements don't teach bad behavior. Killing an onos with an axe would be a terrible idea for example. You should not try to axe an onos.

"Try to kill a lerk with an axe". Would be funny when you see marines flying with jetpacks and an axe in the hand trying to hit lerks.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Pistol snipe a fade who is out of view-distance
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

This. We discussed this briefly in PT, although it would be a hell of an achievement to do, there aren't any real circumstances where you'd do this as a legitimate tactic. If you go one vs one with an Onos, you'll probably lose/do nothing useful and all the med support in the world won't help you, if you take one on as a group or with a JP, you won't get close enough to use the Ax in the first place. The entire idea behind achievements is to get people to pursue objectives that help them to learn how to play and help their team to win.