Patch 286 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
imagePatch 286 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Hey everyone! Part of our goal as a development team is to look at player retention for the long term, not just how we stand now. A lot of our...

Read the full story here

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    System wrote: »
    Page Not Found - Natural Selection 2

Biggest update in years. :tongue:

Looking forward to playing the new update, though!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Patch going out tomorrow morning. For some reason, System decided it would post something nobody has access to. :(
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know what I expected
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2016
    330f.gif

I'm closing this thread for now until the post is actually public ;)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Okay there we go. I reopened the thread.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2016
    In locations with no structures that require power, building the power node will become primed when fully built. This will not impact building resource towers or the normal course of play
    Details Please?

Is this similar to the Primable Power Nodes whereby you have to finish the building to hit the power, or will the power just finish automatically?

Also, What's a "Ranked" server? Is that a shiny new way to say "Hive Whitelisted"?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Calego wrote: »
    In locations with no structures that require power, building the power node will become primed when fully built. This will not impact building resource towers or the normal course of play
    Details Please?

Is this similar to the Primable Power Nodes whereby you have to finish the building to hit the power, or will the power just finish automatically?

Also, What's a "Ranked" server? Is that a shiny new way to say "Hive Whitelisted"?

If you walk into a room and the commander sockets a power node it will build until 99% and not allow you to finish until there is a structure in the room. Otherwise power nodes work the same if say a res node is dropped and the power is socketed automatically.

yes, ranked is just that.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer

Yes, similar to primable power nodes, but a little tweaked based on playtesting.
    Yes thats it, less confusing for new players to say ranked instead of white listed. but its the same thing
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Personally, I am not happy with the new update. I have always avoided servers that run primable power nodes, as I dislike the being forced to play the game the way a select few decide it should be played.

Now however, NS2 has gone down that route.

What next? Are you going to go through every aspect of the game.. Find all the areas where someone could do something which is sub-optimal, and remove the choice from the game?

This game is about choices, decisions and mistakes. You are now trying to remove those from the game and force us to all play the same way. I know, in a future update, remove the ability for players to actually play the game, and just have them perma-speccing a bot, which plays the game exactly as people want it to be played, rather than you know, making, choices decisions and mistakes.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I aggre a bit with Soulrider. That is something you learn if you stay and countinue playing. When you know every smouched of the game. It is a part of the learning and then in the feature you can laugh at youre own mistakes. But it is also nice beacouse it will help people (and less raging commanders).
    But i must say Soulrider is a bit right on this one.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    Thanks Dragon for fixing some long time persistent bugs. I hope to see more of your fixes integrated in the future.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited February 2016
    Who is narrating that video?

I can't shake the feeling it's @BeigeAlert assuming the voice of a space marine with some really sweet post processing.
    But that can't be it, right?

edit: Also, Wooza's 46 player server running "ns2large" appears as ranked? What's up with that?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm kind of undecided on the primeable power node mechanic, I feel like if they need to wait for a structure to be built, the power node should just activate itself when said structure is done. I know what we have is "the way" to do power nodes but this just reinforces the tedium of the mechanic.

Anyways, any chance you can increase the quality of the reflections so they aren't as blurry? Like for glass n' stuff, it really stands out in some maps.
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    Details Please?

If you walk into a room and the commander sockets a power node it will build until 99% and not allow you to finish until there is a structure in the room. Otherwise power nodes work the same if say a res node is dropped and the power is socketed automatically.

So the Powernode will resist being finished until a structure is blueprinted in the room? Or until the structure is complete? Is there any mechanic to bypass this limit (flashing your flashlight was the mod)?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2016
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I dislike being forced to play the game the way a select few decide it should be played.
    It is a part of the learning and then in the feature you can laugh at youre own mistakes. But it is also nice beacouse it will help people (and less raging commanders).

Thanks for the feedback. Give it a try and tell me what you think of this implementation. It's not the same as the mod, and it is likely you won't even notice it in normal gameplay.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    every rifle bullet spams the console with a 5 step error client side..... juuuuust so you know... How is the server side demo recorder going? ^^
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Who is narrating that video?

I can't shake the feeling it's @BeigeAlert assuming the voice of a space marine with some really sweet post processing.
    But that can't be it, right?

I can't believe it is @BeigeAlert either. For those of us that occasionally play games with him, it really is quite a shock to hear him sound so .... I don't even have the words to describe it.

I think Beige did a great job and his voice is just too perfect for the video. Good work @BeigeAlert.

Now do Morgan Freeman.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    It's NS2 Tweaks.. dragon is on it.. so essentially you traded 50 bugs for one instance of rifle jam that happened to me twice in 4000 h of NS2 .. *sigh* .. .could you PLEASE include tweaks in Q&A next time?! great video, btw.. good job @BeigeAlert
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2016
    Haven't played yet, but I can say I also don't like the primeable pwr nodes forced. Ppl should be free to decide what order they wanna build in. I used to prime pwr, but usually don't anymore, especially in 6 v 6s.

I'm alone in cargo, comm drops node. I have to build power, run all the way across the huge room, build rt, then run all the way back to tap power? No thanks.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    2cough wrote: »
    I'm alone in cargo, comm drops node. I have to build power, run all the way across the huge room, build rt, then run all the way back to tap power? No thanks.
    Good news, you won't need to. If the com drops the node, you won't need to prime the power.

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2016
    remi wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »
    Good news, you won't need to. If the com drops the node, you won't need to prime the power.

So pwr will automatically go up if primed once rt is built? Don't need to go back to tap it?

Edit: maybe I'm still misunderstanding, but you're saying if there's no structures in the room, pwr only primes but still needs to be tapped one a structure is dropped? But if the comm drops a structure, the pwr is no longer primeable?

So if comm drops pwr in a room first and I try to build it, it will prime first. then decides to drop rrt after pwr is primed I still need to run back to tap?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2016
    I didn't like power node change.
    I've 100% built power in Hub and commander is waiting for res to drop PG. Comm drops pg, I finish it, but it is not active, I'm heading back to power node and die on my way. PG has no power, skulks destroy it.

At first I thought it would activate itself when at least one structure is built in the room, otherwise it will remain indestructible. That would be good change.
    edited February 2016
    I added a "power primed" allert to 80% build progress on the blueprint node WEEKS ago... should suffice! ... It's a local sound emited by the node and only hearable to ppl in 4 m range
    only thing UWE's gotta do it listen to reason
    We're still confused about this behavior. Help!

Definitive List of Questions via scenarios about Primable Power Nodes:

I'm asking about each state as it stands now, no "If something else happens, then yes".
    - Power Node is Primed
    - Room has no Blueprint
    Can I finish this power node?

- Power Node is Primed
    - Room has a Blueprint

- Power Node is Socketed
    - Room has a Blueprint
    Can I finish this power node, or will it stop me at 99?

- Power Node is Primed
    - Room has a Half Built Building

- Power Node is Socketed
    - Room has a Half Built Building
    Can I finish this power node, or will it stop me at 99?

- Power Node is Primed
    - I complete a Building in this room
    Will the Power go up automatically or do I need to run across the room to tap it?

- Power Node is Socketed
    - Room has a Fully Built Building
    Dumbass forgot to build power first. RIP

edited February 2016
    - Power Node is Primed
    - Room has no Blueprint

No, unless you override or a blueprint is dropped.

Whoa there, what's this Override option and how do I do it?

Also: Based on this behavior, this change won't affect like 90% of players. It will stop the newbies from fucking up by finishing power in completely unused rooms. I'm all for this.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    Nordic wrote: »
    I can't believe it is @BeigeAlert either. For those of us that occasionally play games with him, it really is quite a shock to hear him sound so .... I don't even have the words to describe it.

I think Beige did a great job and his voice is just too perfect for the video. Good work @BeigeAlert.

>>He said something about screaming into a pillow until he was hoarse before recording that VO. That's some dedication to his craft, eh?

Made my day xD
    No, unless you override or a blueprint is dropped.

How do you override a primed power node? If it's interacting with it again, what stops new players from walking up to it and finishing it like before?
    Seems lik priming pwr in a room before you can afford the structure is now a liability more than it was before.

How often do we build power in a room for something like pg especially and just it want it to go up as soon as it's finished building. Correct me if I'm wrong but now you'll have to make a second trip back to power after it's built since pwr was dropped before structure and is locked @ primed and now needs a tap. Whereas before, if desired, you could just build pwr and once structure is up, you're golden. This is useful in many occasions, most notably forward gates.

Again plz correct if I'm wrong.