Patch 286 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Hey there!

After launching the game I get a black screen. I'm on debian jessie.

I'm quite pissed, you might want to reconsider this rapid deployment idea. I payed for the game and expect to be able to play it.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Calego wrote: »
    Whoa there, what's this Override option and how do I do it?
    Turn your flashlight on and off.
    Also: Based on this behavior, this change won't affect like 90% of players. It will stop the newbies from fucking up by finishing power in completely unused rooms. I'm all for this.
    This.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Hey there!

After launching the game I get a black screen. I'm on debian jessie.

I'm quite pissed, you might want to reconsider this rapid deployment idea. I payed for the game and expect to be able to play it.

Hey @.trixX. There is an issue with awesomium on linux, so the intro video is not playing. Check it out in the patch notes if you want to see it.
    You will only see this black screen on first launch, and you can bypass it by pressing ESC, SPACE or ENTER.
    Sorry about that. Let me know if you have any more issues with it.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    TBH I didn't really read through this entire thread...so don't shoot me if this was covered.

The primable power nodes need an override. Veteran players will (sometimes) know that there are circumstances where finishing the node is beneficial before something is dropped. To me the change is a slight annoyance just as it was on TG but I do see the benefit that it could have with new players.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for the fast reply @remi!

The problem is, I've already tried that to no avail... My sys is up-to-date graphics drivers and all. The game was running just fine yesterday :(
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I can see how this will benefit a large number of nubs, but seems like it may severely impact certain situations for more experienced players as joshhhy has said. I experience this situation (forward gates that need to be up.asap) pretty much every night multiple times. Am I correct in my assumptions from my last post? Plz just a yes out no from someone in the know.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    joshhh wrote: »
    TBH I didn't really read through this entire thread...so don't shoot me if this was covered.

The primable power nodes need an override. Veteran players will (sometimes) know that there are circumstances where finishing the node is beneficial before something is dropped. To me the change is a slight annoyance just as it was on TG but I do see the benefit that it could have with new players.

Finishing C12 power before comm has res to drop RT cause it's so dangerous to get back there.

But I guess the comm can still click nodes, ya, so idk, it's just more confusing now for some people but atleast you can build power without waiting on comm?
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast reply @remi!

The problem is, I've already tried that to no avail... My sys is up-to-date graphics drivers and all. The game was running just fine yesterday :(
    Lets take this over here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140684/black-screen-when-starting-the-game#latest
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2016
    remi wrote: »
    Whoa there, what's this Override option and how do I do it?
    Turn your flashlight on and off.
    Also: Based on this behavior, this change won't affect like 90% of players. It will stop the newbies from fucking up by finishing power in completely unused rooms. I'm all for this.
    This.

Awesome! Definitely should put these scenarios somewhere visible though, as it will clear up a lot.

If I might make a suggestion, the flashlight thing is wonky at best from a "that just makes sense" point of view. Perhaps have the power nodes stop the build cycle once they hit 99, but all you have to do to finish them is walk up and hit e again. Note that the auto waypoints will need to reflect this change (if they don't already) so that they don't keep telling players to "build structure at waypoint" for the powernode once it's primed.

Basically, Power node socketed > Marine Holds "e" to build > Power node reaches 99, stops the build, even if player is still holding "e" > to finish, player just releases and re-presses "e".

EDIT: wrong quote
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Reminds me of the dummies who flash their headlights at traffic stops because another dummy once told them it shortens the light.

But yes, if all you have to do is flash your light at it, not a problem, though I agree that this info needs to be relayed.
    edited February 2016
    xen32 wrote: »
    Ah, so you can tap flashlight 2 times and build power node as usually. Why isn't it mentioned anywhere in patch notes? It should be.

I take my words back, I don't hate this change.
    There's so much confusion already with this change because of preconceptions, it seemed like mentioning an override option would just introduce more (maybe that was a bad call on my part).
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Why doesn't it just finish itself when the first structure completes?
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    you can override the Primed dynamic with the FLASHLIGHT?!... seriously?! ^^ talking about counter intuitive game mechanics ^^ ... didn't you just remove the local talk because it was too confusing to rooks?! LOL
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    This patch seems to have removed the option to filter out rookie only servers in the browser. I don't know why you would do such a thing, there are few enough servers as is that I can actually play on I don't want to see servers in my browser that I can't join.
    Sops wrote: »
    This patch seems to have removed the option to filter out rookie only servers in the browser. I don't know why you would do such a thing, there are few enough servers as is that I can actually play on I don't want to see servers in my browser that I can't join.
    We'll take a look at this. Thanks for the report.
    you can override the Primed dynamic with the FLASHLIGHT?!... seriously?! ^^ talking about counter intuitive game mechanics ^^ ... didn't you just remove the local talk because it was too confusing to rooks?! LOL
    Override is not aimed at the rooks, it only exists for people who already understand the ramifications.
    Frozen wrote: »
    Why doesn't it just finish itself when the first structure completes?
    Right or wrong, the current meta involves building to 99%, finishing the PG, and then returning to the node (or having someone sit by the node to finish it at the right time). This creates a tradeoff in terms of where you and your teammates position yourselves, and creates a pocket of vulnerability for aliens to exploit if you try to build a PG too far from the power and a moment of suspense as marines scream at each other to finish the power and attempt to claw their way to it before being overrun. Making it auto-complete would give a way to bypass that and remove that memorable moment. That all being siad, we may change it so it auto-completes if we keep getting feedback in that direction.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    It's already pretty inconsistent, I just played a game on ibis's servers and for some reason it didn't have primeable power nodes and no one knew what I was talking about. I know it's a server thing so might be a mod conflict I guess.

Either way, everyone agrees the new intro video is great.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I don't understand the need for the power node change. The consequences of sub-optimal power node construction were already almost negligible and didn't, in my opinion, warrant a forced game mechanic change. This just seems extremely cumbersome and confusing.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    @IeptBarakat no one knowing about game mechanics on IBIS... SUPPRISE :D no for real now, the vid is great... :D
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Can we revert the power node thing? As much as you think it's a good idea it doesn't help with the flow of the game.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »
    Who is narrating that video?

I can't shake the feeling it's @BeigeAlert assuming the voice of a space marine with some really sweet post processing.
    But that can't be it, right?

I can't believe it is @BeigeAlert either. For those of us that occasionally play games with him, it really is quite a shock to hear him sound so .... I don't even have the words to describe it.

I think Beige did a great job and his voice is just too perfect for the video. Good work @BeigeAlert.

Now do Morgan Freeman.

Exactly :D

Maybe he should consider voice acting.
    Nordic wrote: »
    I can't believe it is @BeigeAlert either. For those of us that occasionally play games with him, it really is quite a shock to hear him sound so .... I don't even have the words to describe it.

I think Beige did a great job and his voice is just too perfect for the video. Good work @BeigeAlert.

He said something about screaming into a pillow until he was hoarse before recording that VO. That's some dedication to his craft, eh?

Actually, no, scrap that.
    Just spam flashlight, flow salvaged.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I dont care for the primeable mechanic, but flashing lights just too counterintuitive. Just have it build up to 99%, turn the "[E]" box orange and blinking or something indicating to release E and press it again to finish.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    2cough wrote: »
    Just spam flashlight, flow salvaged.

I just hold down F for entire matches.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That intro video kinda reminds me of the "would you like to know more" from Starship Troopers, with that over the top narration :D

Good stuff! I was for a moment tempted to do a parody on this one xD
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I was for a moment tempted to do a parody on this one xD
    What is stopping you?!

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I was for a moment tempted to do a parody on this one xD
    What is stopping you?!

DAMMIT that text was tiny mate! You're going on my list!

-time is my enemy

Holy crap that first sentence is a bloody tongue twister
    A 15-30s video explaining the change would be in order here apparently. It's really not clear. I haven't needed to go into the game to understand a non-movement change ever until today