Let's make a list of hidden mechanics

Comments

• eagleyeeagleye Join Date: 2007-09-01 Member: 62114Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2014
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Laosh'Ra
    I found a really weird hidden mechanic/bug:

You cannot throw hand grenades while flying. It actually makes a click noise like if that was intended. Take a jetpack and a hand grenade and try it.
    While jumping it also doesn't work all the time. Actually if you keep pressed your left mouse button trying to throw a grenade during a jump, when you hit the ground you stay in a really weird idle position

I think that must be a bug...
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    craZyfx wrote: »
    - Eggs which are players who currently evolve
    I completely forgot about it. But as Marines you can tell on the map which eggs are "eggs" and which are evolving people. The evolving people one is slightly larger and more "egg shaped." I'll try to get a screenie later.

Can someone please explain this? and maybe show a picture?
    I have been asking around since I read that comment and no one seems to know anything about it
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    remi wrote: »
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    Welders build up structures 12% faster than a builder tool.

This is actually a bug. :)

In my tests it only had a difference of 1-2%, not 12%.

I believe it is largely dependent on how stable the framerate is on the server. It's not coded to be faster, it's actually a bug. Short version is that the welder is only delayed half as much by frame variance as the use tool. On a more populated/taxed server (I only had 1 person on my server), the variance may be larger and the difference in the tools build speed will likely be more noticeable.

Still fussing it out, but even with no frame variance I think the Welder would still build faster because the frame time isn't perfectly divisible into 100ms chunks, and so there would be some extra cost either way. If it's a 33ms frame that would actually result I think in about a 12.5% faster build time. If it's a 50ms frame, it would only be down to the variance.

After more testing, I think it was running the server at 60fps, not 30fps. I used maxfps to limit my client and then the welder sped up and I saw the 12% difference. Woohoo.

I always thought this! when a group of marines are building a structure theres usually a guy that says, use your welders it builds faster! Normally I'd use a welder anyway but I found personally it doesn't make a difference, I think most people think it does its because of the build percentage % display, using the E key the progress goes up 12345678910, whereas using a welder it would go 12457910 giving the illusion it builds faster?

You catch my drift?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Welders give the structure health faster than regular building, so the final 15% or so of the construction process will have the the building at max health. Im pretty sure they build at the same rate though.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welders give the structure health faster than regular building, so the final 15% or so of the construction process will have the the building at max health. Im pretty sure they build at the same rate though.
    ...their noise level is an advantage that's often ignored, too.

The sneaky phasegate is much more sneaky(tm) when aliens next room just get a subtle "fssssssssssssss..." which is easy to overhear instead of a "*SHWIUWIUWIUWIUWUIWIUWUIWIUWUCHACKCHACKCHACKSHWIUWIUWIUWIUWU...*".
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    And welders repair destroyed power nodes SO MUCH FASTER than the build tool. Plus with your welder out you can weld the incoming skulk for lols, which you can't do with the build tool :)
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    You also move slower with the build tool while you move at regular speed and can even sprint with the welder.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bump because so many people are looking at the forums lately
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    The following is a repost, but I think it is a good write up of the whole thing so I will share it here too.

The flamethrower has a several kind of hidden effects. I will explain how they are useful and the downsides.
    1. It shuts down aliens structures effects.
    2. A flamethrower can damage multiple enemies, or structures, at once.
    3. It drains alien energy.
    4. It does burn damage over time.
    5. It does flame damage.
    6. It blocks bile bomb.
    7. It burns away alien gas effects.

1. The strongest thing about a flamethrower is that it shuts down alien structure effects. The hive stops healing, crags stop healing, shades stop cloaking, whips stop whacking, and shifts stop giving energy. This makes killing a hive quite a lot easier. Aliens trying to defend the hive can't heal. A crag by the hive does not heal the hive making it take longer to kill. In a sense the flamethrower is a force multiplier.
    The problem is that for you to perform this strong support role effectively, you need to be in a group of 5+ marines. Even then an LMG or shotgun would pretty much do just as well.

2. Another really strong aspect of the flamethrower is that you can damage multiple structures at once. Alien upgrades are often placed right next to each other. With a flamethrower you can kill all 3 really quick.
    The problem is that it is really difficult to even reach those situations. Even if you were in that situation a grenade launcher would kill them faster.

3. A flamethrower can be a great support weapon because aliens are so reliant on energy. A fade pretty much can not move fast without energy. Aliens can not attack if they don't have energy.
    The problem is that in a real game this really does not do much. I have twice in my 2000+ hours of gameplay caused a fade to die because I drained his energy with a flamethrower. Any moderately skilled marine would be better off with a lmg or a shotgun which is why the flamethrower is pretty much useless.

4. The flamethrower does burn damage over time. This is most obvious when a skulk dies as it runs away with low health, and then dies. What is not obvious at all is that you can set the ground on fire. A skulk will walk will take burn damage over time by walking on those flames. The less obvious aspect of this is you can do a lot extra damage to structures. If you try to kill and harvester with a flamethrower you an do additional burn damage to it by burning the ground. The harvester will both be taking damage from the flamethrower and the flames on the ground. I think it is about 30% more damage, but that is a guess at best.
    The problem is that a flamethrower marine can hardly use this to his advantage because even a skulk has a good chance of killing him. Unless that marine has a jetpack he is basically useless.

5. A flamethrower also does flame damage. Flame damage does 400% to flammable structures. There are not many flammable structures. They include cysts, hydras, and clogs. Welders also do flame damage. One of my favorite things to do is to have a jetpack and just just do a half second of flames on a cyst and run. I hit every other cyst. Doing this you can destroy almost the entire alien cyst chain before they can respond.
    The problem is that this can only happen late game, and if there is at least one moderately skilled lerk or fade on the alien team you will not get very far.

6. Flamethrowers pop bile bomb. It stops it in mid air. Not only that, it will stop the damage over time that bilebomb does if a structure has already been hit. (Not true anymore). A single flamethower can shutdown a gorge rush entirely. Bilebomb becomes useless because the flamethrowers stops it. The effect is also complemented by the drain on energy making gorges even more useless.
    The problem is that this is so situational.

7. Flamethrowers burn away lerk spores. They also burn away a lerks umbra. The alien commanders drifter abilities like enzyme and mucous membrane are also stopped by flamethrowers.
    The problem is that you don't see any of those abilities used very often.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nordic wrote: »
    3. A flamethrower can be a great support weapon because aliens are so reliant on energy. A fade pretty much can not move fast without energy. Aliens can not attack if they don't have energy.
    The problem is that in a real game this really does not do much. I have twice in my 2000+ hours of gameplay caused a fade to die because I drained his energy with a flamethrower. Any moderately skilled marine would be better off with a lmg or a shotgun which is why the flamethrower is pretty much useless.
    Oh don't say useless. I was fade with celerity and without metabolize, trying to engage a group of marines with flamethrowers in it. Had a fun time trying to escape.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    remi wrote: »
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    Welders build up structures 12% faster than a builder tool.

This is actually a bug. :)

In my tests it only had a difference of 1-2%, not 12%.

I believe it is largely dependent on how stable the framerate is on the server. It's not coded to be faster, it's actually a bug. Short version is that the welder is only delayed half as much by frame variance as the use tool. On a more populated/taxed server (I only had 1 person on my server), the variance may be larger and the difference in the tools build speed will likely be more noticeable.

Still fussing it out, but even with no frame variance I think the Welder would still build faster because the frame time isn't perfectly divisible into 100ms chunks, and so there would be some extra cost either way. If it's a 33ms frame that would actually result I think in about a 12.5% faster build time. If it's a 50ms frame, it would only be down to the variance.

After more testing, I think it was running the server at 60fps, not 30fps. I used maxfps to limit my client and then the welder sped up and I saw the 12% difference. Woohoo.

I always thought this! when a group of marines are building a structure theres usually a guy that says, use your welders it builds faster! Normally I'd use a welder anyway but I found personally it doesn't make a difference, I think most people think it does its because of the build percentage % display, using the E key the progress goes up 12345678910, whereas using a welder it would go 12457910 giving the illusion it builds faster?

You catch my drift?

Regardless if true end result is better. Welder targets marines, and if you're power building e key is more selective
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I was just discussing one of the not hidden, but if you don't know, you don't know features of NS2 with @Nordic, and I thought i'd post this here to see how many other people knew or considered this?

Marines don't shoot from their gun, they shoot from their eyes. This means you can't jump over their bullets, but you can dodge under them at close range.

Something I have never seen mentioned on these forums as a tip for new players is never go for a marines face as a skulk or lerk. It appears a sensible thing to do, jump above their gun and bite the face, but it reality, you are just lining yourself up for a meat shot free of charge.

Well now, That's very interesting. We really need these things compiled again.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i have to admit that i'm currently not actively playing anymore, but i'll try and update the list when i find the time in the next few days. thanks for all the contributions.
    When you are in the air as a fade, your model is the same regardless of if you are crouching or not. BUT while crouching your upper body can get through obstacles without colliding. So if you blink up while crouching you can hide half of your body beyond the ceiling, making it more difficult to hit you. Also it makes it much more easy to navigate through corridors with low ceilings. See picture below.

Picture of a fade blinking up (left picture without crouching, right picture crouching)
    YwtAMcg.jpg
    Blrg wrote: »
    When you are in the air as a fade, your model is the same regardless of if you are crouching or not. BUT while crouching your upper body can get through obstacles without colliding. So if you blink up while crouching you can hide half of your body beyond the ceiling, making it more difficult to hit you. Also it makes it much more easy to navigate through corridors with low ceilings. See picture below.

Picture of a fade blinking up (left picture without crouching, right picture crouching)
    YwtAMcg.jpg

I have always wondered how fades push through the ceiling like that. I guess I appear that way all the time too since I'm basically always crouching as fade. I thought it was a bug/exploit (which really, it is).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mid air crouching has always been screwed up in Spark, crouch jump is nothing like proper GoldSrc stuff :D
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Frozen wrote: »
    +duck all day

Ah, you practice the way of the crouching Fade as well!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Crouching Fade Hidden Onos
  • VindalooVindaloo Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174127Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't wanna read everything, but you should be running with your pistol out, not welder/axe. Same speed, but more useful.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2016
    Vindaloo wrote: »
    I don't wanna read everything, but you should be running with your pistol out, not welder/axe. Same speed, but more useful.

Can someone confirm this?
    coolitic wrote: »
    Vindaloo wrote: »

Can someone confirm this?

Yeah. Pistol weighs 0. Same idea for dropping weapons, don't drop your pistol since it doesn't weigh anything.
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    I want to drop my axe, if I can drop my weightless pistol.
  • tudytudy Germany Join Date: 2014-06-10 Member: 196468Members, Squad Five Blue
    Maybe it has been written before, maybe everyone knkows about this, but I just found out yesterday:

In pregame, when you press the use-key on the MAC in base it will refresh your armor and health instantly (and yes, it still offers you a coffee... I never got one, though.)
    If you abuse this power of false coffe and free armor the macs start raising in the air. Making you to jump more and more to get to them. It's like if they were telling to you: "OK you are annoying me a little now, I need some space"
  • BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
    I am sorry if this has been added before:

Craig: can only heal 3 buildings at a time
    So instead of healing everything in it's radius (where the mist effect and circle in commander view goes) it only heals 3 structures.

Awesome. Also, what about the crag structure heal limit? Does that still apply? (if I remember right, crags can only heal 3 buildings at a time).

emphasis by me
    source: https://trello.com/c/Sbfjtl6y/243-changes-to-nutrient-mist#comment-57338602b8237c032c02a2db
  • Poopsythe34Poopsythe34 USA Join Date: 2014-06-04 Member: 196379Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    5. A flamethrower also does flame damage. Flame damage does 400% to flammable structures. There are not many flammable structures. They include cysts, hydras, and clogs. Welders also do flame damage. One of my favorite things to do is to have a jetpack and just just do a half second of flames on a cyst and run. I hit every other cyst. Doing this you can destroy almost the entire alien cyst chain before they can respond.
    The problem is that this can only happen late game, and if there is at least one moderately skilled lerk or fade on the alien team you will not get very far.
    7. Flamethrowers burn away lerk spores. They also burn away a lerks umbra. The alien commanders drifter abilities like enzyme and mucous membrane are also stopped by flamethrowers.
    The problem is that you don't see any of those abilities used very often.

5. Can you still pop fully matured cysts with a spurt of flamethrower fuel? I've been trying that recently and it seems like the DoT is not enough to clear it when you leave it. I have been making sure I ignite the floor as well.
    7. Does it burn umbra off of already umbra'd lifeforms, or just the cloud? I find it hard to tell since the flamethrower makes it hard to tell if the alien is ignited and umbra'd or just ignited.