Let's make a list of hidden mechanics

Comments

• kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    i'm pretty sure flamethrowers also prevent hives / crags from healing, whips from attacking, shifts from working, and slow alien energy regen (great way to kill an onos).
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited June 2014
    kmg wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure flamethrowers also prevent hives / crags from healing, whips from attacking, shifts from working, and slow alien energy regen (great way to kill an onos).

It stops structure passive ability, so si, esta correcto.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    so i guess it comes down to what kind of tips the CDT wants to put in the loading screens.
    There already are tips in the loading screens..
    0xRPavT.jpg
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    Calego wrote: »
    craZyfx wrote: »
    - Eggs which are players who currently evolve
    I completely forgot about it. But as Marines you can tell on the map which eggs are "eggs" and which are evolving people. The evolving people one is slightly larger and more "egg shaped." I'll try to get a screenie later.

this reminds me of another one, you can tell what lifeform is evolving in an egg by the amount of hp / armor it has.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Neutrinos are pretty much the worst thing in the entire universe to make a projectile out of.

Well, except maybe for dark matter, should it exist.

If they have armor of depleted uranium a light year thick, neutrinos are the only projectile that will be able to hit them.

Curiously there actually exist neutrino sources bright enough to kill: core collapse super nova. When viewed at less than an AU (!!!), the neutrinos will escape first and the dose will be in the tens of sieverts, which can be enough to outright incapacitate, but death follows only in a few days. Yes, OK, it's one of the most luminous events in the Universe, and yes, it might be inside the stars atmosphere, and yes you won't survive more than minutes either way, but the neutrinos technically could escape and knock you unconcious first.

I read that article, too ;D
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    so i guess it comes down to what kind of tips the CDT wants to put in the loading screens.

Yeah players need proper tips, not the kind of tips you figure out after half an hour of gameplay anyway. Also those tips only show in rookie mode, right?
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Yeah players need proper tips, not the kind of tips you figure out after half an hour of gameplay anyway. Also those tips only show in rookie mode, right?
    That's what I was thinking. I've learned new things in this thread and I have 380 hours in NS2 atm. I think this type of info should just always be displayed (or toggled off in main menu, but default to on regardless of player time).

Even some of the things I do know I've had to explain to players every other game (like spotting for ARCs) to a fully non-green team.
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    One mechanic that I often use, but didn't see here yet:

- Infestation slowly removes the armor of marine structures, power nodes and ARCs. [Anybody know the rate? Is it a fixed rate or relative to the armor of the building?]

- It also slows down ARC movement.

( - I think marine structures take longer to build on infestation as well )

Also what I think many players dont know:
    - Power nodes that were built and then destroyed, and then only partially rebuilt can be bitten once again to destroy the rebuilding progress [you can tell from the animation of the power node if you are still damaging it]

Another important mechanic (and recently tested):
    - Gorges can use clogs to build themselves a slide (with an optional tunnel entrance after to go with style)
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Most of these aren't even hidden mechanics...
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    sebb wrote: »
    If you want to split hairs over the typical meaning of 'hidden mechanic', sure. But a lot of it is stuff you are not going to notice within a few, or even a few hundred hours of gameplay.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    xDragon wrote: »
    All weapons apply to your weight (decreases movement speed), but holstered weapons only count at 70% of their full weight.

are you sure about this, dragon? In testing, I found that dropping the pistol does not speed you up (at least after dropping your rifle first).

That's because the pistol has zero weight.
    Yup. That's how it's so accurate. It fires neutrinos too.

Neutrinos are pretty much the worst thing in the entire universe to make a projectile out of.

Anyway, b2t.
    Lerk bite is poisonous. It gradually subtracts x amount of hp directly from a marines health after being bitten, whether you penetrate his armor or not. (For a correct amount of x)

False. We know that dark matter affects gravity. Or is defined to affect gravity. Whereas neutrinos just suck at affecting anything. As xkcd so awesomely calculated... You'd have to be inside the star thats going supernova to get a lethal dose of neutrinos from the explosion.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    amoral wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    xDragon wrote: »
    All weapons apply to your weight (decreases movement speed), but holstered weapons only count at 70% of their full weight.

are you sure about this, dragon? In testing, I found that dropping the pistol does not speed you up (at least after dropping your rifle first).

That's because the pistol has zero weight.
    Yup. That's how it's so accurate. It fires neutrinos too.

Anyway, b2t.
    Lerk bite is poisonous. It gradually subtracts x amount of hp directly from a marines health after being bitten, whether you penetrate his armor or not. (For a correct amount of x)

False. We know that dark matter affects gravity. Or is defined to affect gravity. Whereas neutrinos just suck at affecting anything. As xkcd so awesomely calculated... You'd have to be inside the star thats going supernova to get a lethal dose of neutrinos from the explosion.

I know, it's written in the article and soylent actually mentioned it, too.

Still, just because dark matter affects gravity does not mean it makes for a better projectile than Neutrinos... In fact, as the only way we currently assume dark matter is affectable through is gravity, creating such a projectile would need huge of regular mass (the only way we know to influence gravity in any way).
    So, you'd basically create an incredibly massive (and large, to keep it from collapsing into a black hole (-> maybe a big neutron star?)) projectile hoping that it's mass would attract some dark matter to form your actual projectile out of... as you can see, we're getting nowhere this way ;)
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited June 2014
    sebb wrote: »
    If you want to split hairs over the typical meaning of 'hidden mechanic', sure. But a lot of it is stuff you are not going to notice within a few, or even a few hundred hours of gameplay.

Well it seems that only a few people here actually know the difference between a 'hidden' mechanic and something that they only picked up late, misread, missed completely or something that is already completely obvious to many players in the game already.

Sorry for being pedantic, but I thought this was a hidden mechanics thread not a 'post your tips and tricks' thread lol.

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @sebb I love being pedantic - how exactly do you define 'hidden mechanic'. Because the way I see it, any mechanic that is not informed in-game is hidden. Even skulk wall-jumping is a hidden mechanic - even if 100% of the population knows it exists, it makes no difference.

Take bunnyjumping from counter-strike - would you say that is hidden or not?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    When you build a harvester without a drifter (or a gorge) you lose more than 15 team resources (a drifter costs 8 res) during the time it would've been up - and almost 2 personal resources for each team member.

The math:
    "Alien structures auto build rate is reduced by 70%, drifters speed up build time to normal rate" - b250 changelog

pre-b250 the build time for harvester was 40 seconds.

So build time for harvester without drifter is 40/(1-0.7) = 133.3s

The difference in time is 133.3 - 40 = 93.3s

One tick is 6 seconds 93.3 / 6 = 15,55tick

A harvester generates 1 t.res per tick and 1/8th p.res per tick.

So that's 15,55 t.res and 1,94 p.res.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    To those talking about what a hidden mechanic is - for the scope of this thread anyway, use the OP as reference. More specifically, the parts detailing "What is this about?" and "What is this NOT about". Anything that fits with those guidelines fits into this thread.

Some of these things aren't strictly "hidden" by literal definition, and instead could be described as "overlooked" or whatever. But at the end of the day, if it fits OP's description, it belongs here.
    any mechanic that is not informed in-game is hidden. Even skulk wall-jumping is a hidden mechanic - even if 100% of the population knows it exists, it makes no difference.

Take bunnyjumping from counter-strike - would you say that is hidden or not?

If 100% of the population knows it exists its not hidden... lol

There are many things in this thread that are covered by tips and tutorials in the game, albeit badly, but they are there. Wall jumping in this game is covered by those tip videos, even if that isn't saying much.

Its a moot point anyway as this is just a 'post something that someone else might not know' thread.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    craZyfx wrote: »
    Commanders can see:
    - Health and Armor of selected enemy unit (maybe obvious, but pretty useful if hunting down onos)

I would like to add that this means alien commanders can see how much armor the marines have, and therefore see how many armor upgrades have been researched.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited July 2014
    another update (sorry for the delay)
    I know one that I bet most people don't know, enzyme slightly increases your bite code range
    just to be sure, did you post this as a joke or is it actually a relevant difference?
    Additional Marine Commanders can see:
    - Eggs which are players who currently evolve
    I completely forgot about it. But as Marines you can tell on the map which eggs are "eggs" and which are evolving people. The evolving people one is slightly larger and more "egg shaped." I'll try to get a screenie later.
    how do commanders see that (what EXACTLY indicates this)? just the health of the egg or is there actually a evolve% plus a lifeform icon (or text) pointing this out when selecting an egg?
    i'm also curious about that different model although i have some doubts that this is intended design.
    Infestation slowly removes the armor of marine structures, power nodes and ARCs.
    i know ARCs are slowed, but do they really lose armor on infestation?

as for the complaints about the term "hidden mechanics", i agree that the thread title might not have been the best choice. drawing a perfect line between actual facts vs subjective deductions seems quite difficult. same goes for how-long-does-it-take-to-notice-this. but it's not too late to change the thread title as well as the title of the guide on steam. i'm not a native speaker so i'm having trouble coming up with something that's neither a long title nor somehow misleading, any suggestions?

to be honest, i'd personally be more strict regarding on what will make it on the list (e.g. i intentionally left out the 90% powernode initially), but i didn't want to put my personal view in front of others too much. but maybe that was a mistake and we should be more strict and purge out some stuff, considering how large this list has become... as in: quality before quantity.
    thing is, there are already several guides etc. with various tips, while this list is simply a different approach, trying to cover something not yet covered.

edit: unless anyone has a better idea, i'll put the more-or-less subjective stuff in a seperate category. it will not show up on the steamguide, but the guides description links to this thread so people can look it up. this will hopefully make the list more "correct" without throwing away a lot of items that are helpful even if they might not belong here.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Laosh'Ra How about less known play mechanics? Believe it or not, most of what people wrote is actually in the Wiki. So if you look it up there you will see it. May be you can give @GISP a message to see if the wiki is up to date. I did a heap of tips and hints in the wiki section awhile back you might be interested in looking over and add to.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2014
    Hidden is what isn't immediately obvious to a new player. Be that from the tutorial, popup hints, the videos that play on death, or w/e.

Which to me is stuff that's buried in some changelog somewhere without a corresponding in-game tooltip. Or better yet, stuff that managed to slip past the changelogs.

Tips and tricks are more exploitations of mechanics (e.g. the 90% powernode isn't a mechanic itself, rather a use of the invincible blue powernode mechanic).

Another example would be thus:
    Mechanic: You can see which eggs are lifeform eggs by the difference of appearance on the minimap.
    Tip/Trick: Target lifeform eggs by determining which they are on the minimap.

Tips are more verb-like, mechanics simply state things.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    When you build a harvester without a drifter (or a gorge) you lose more than 15 team resources (a drifter costs 8 res) during the time it would've been up - and almost 2 personal resources for each team member.

The math:
    "Alien structures auto build rate is reduced by 70%, drifters speed up build time to normal rate" - b250 changelog

which i love when you tell new comms to drop a drifter and they're just like "duh, what you talking about, building just fine, duhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"... i don't even want to talk about drifterless/gorgeless hive drops.

The math:

which i love when you tell new comms to drop a drifter and they're just like "duh, what you talking about, building just fine, duhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"... i don't even want to talk about drifterless/gorgeless hive drops.

10 minutes it takes to grow a hive fyi.

The math:

10 minutes it takes to grow a hive fyi.

"Oh, yeah, that hive I just dropped... no, no drifter... no, it's not that important... I just dropped it, y'know... maybe we need it next match or sth..."
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    @Laosh'Ra How about less known play mechanics? Believe it or not, most of what people wrote is actually in the Wiki. So if you look it up there you will see it. May be you can give @GISP a message to see if the wiki is up to date. I did a heap of tips and hints in the wiki section awhile back you might be interested in looking over and add to.

I am not the one maintaining the wiki :) (One of the few tasks i dont have)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "Unconnected cysts do not die off by themselves if they are in range of a crag, the healing is fast enough."

*Nothing* un-cysted that needs cycts dies in range of a crag, not even a crag. Not even a res tower at 1% health.

A crag will heal at max 3 targets, further crags are needed for more (incl. structures), however, your set of crags within a given intersection of healing radii only applies one application of healing per click to a unique object within that intersection set.

Crags have an ability called Heal Wave, which adds a % of current health over 2 seconds. This ability affects all objects within a radius of the crag, note this is apparently more effective
    for objects with higher (>50%) current health. You need a Crag hive (gods know why) for this ability.
    You need a Crag hive (gods know why) for this ability.

The same reason you need a shift hive for echo and a shade hive for ink.

True, the crag path is seldomly chosen because of heal wave...
    consider it a bonus.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    GISP wrote: »

I am not the one maintaining the wiki :) (One of the few tasks i dont have)

:-) There ain't much that you aren't a part of.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    To update the first page by answering 2 questions:
    "do flamethrowers remove bile from structures/marines/exos (after bile bomb impact)?
    does healspray instantly extinguish flames on a structure?"

Yes and yes, afaik.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    To update the first page by answering 2 questions:
    "do flamethrowers remove bile from structures/marines/exos (after bile bomb impact)?
    does healspray instantly extinguish flames on a structure?"

Yes and yes, afaik.
    @IronHorse‌ good to know. I'll included it in the manual.