Let's make a list of hidden mechanics

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    xDragon wrote: »
    All weapons apply to your weight (decreases movement speed), but holstered weapons only count at 70% of their full weight.

are you sure about this, dragon? In testing, I found that dropping the pistol does not speed you up (at least after dropping your rifle first).

That's because the pistol has zero weight.
    Yup. That's how it's so accurate. It fires neutrinos too.

Neutrinos are pretty much the worst thing in the entire universe to make a projectile out of.

Well, except maybe for dark matter, should it exist.

Anyway, b2t.
    Lerk bite is poisonous. It gradually subtracts x amount of hp directly from a marines health after being bitten, whether you penetrate his armor or not. (For a correct amount of x)
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    All weapons apply to your weight (decreases movement speed), but holstered weapons only count at 70% of their full weight.

are you sure about this, dragon? In testing, I found that dropping the pistol does not speed you up (at least after dropping your rifle first).

Neutrinos are pretty much the worst thing in the entire universe to make a projectile out of.

Anyway, b2t.
    Lerk bite is poisonous. It gradually subtracts x amount of hp directly from a marines health after being bitten, whether you penetrate his armor or not. (For a correct amount of x)

I've been thinking about how to apply that knowledge... The poison bite I mean, not the sub-atomic particle physics.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    xen32 wrote: »
    You can assign control groups to stuff like arms labs, armory, proto, not only the icon will flash when structure is under attack, it will allow you to start researches without moving your view to base. Binding at least one Obs to a key is a must.

And marines! Don't forget you can control group your mariiiinnessss!!

...but they don't follow your orders anyway, this feature is next to useless :)

uuuurgghhh1!!!!

That's.. uh... too pro.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    You can assign control groups to stuff like arms labs, armory, proto, not only the icon will flash when structure is under attack, it will allow you to start researches without moving your view to base. Binding at least one Obs to a key is a must.

And marines! Don't forget you can control group your mariiiinnessss!!

...but they don't follow your orders anyway, this feature is next to useless :)

uuuurgghhh1!!!!

That's.. uh... too pro.

xen32 !! My friend! I'm telling you this because I love you okay!? Stop sucking! Beliiieeeevveee! You can DO IT! Go out there and make me PROUD! Have faith in your self! Spread the Love! Peace! <3

You have to try to be best, because you're only a man, and a man has got to learn to take it.
    Try to believe, when the going gets rough, that you gotta hang tough to make it.
    History repeats itself, try and you'll succeed! Never doubt that you're the one and you can have your dreams! You're the best man!!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    xen32 !! My friend! I'm telling you this because I love you okay!? Stop sucking! Beliiieeeevveee! You can DO IT! Go out there and make me PROUD! Have faith in your self! Spread the Love! Peace! <3

You have to try to be best, because you're only a man, and a man has got to learn to take it.
    Try to believe, when the going gets rough, that you gotta hang tough to make it.
    History repeats itself, try and you'll succeed! Never doubt that you're the one and you can have your dreams! You're the best man!!

Im trying to think of any more cliches that can be thrown in there, lol :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Anyway, b2t.

I've been thinking about how to apply that knowledge... The poison bite I mean, not the sub-atomic particle physics.

Frankly, I think applying sub-atomic particle physics is a tad more interesting, but that may be subjective.

But wait, there's more. This hidden mechanic has a twist! (hidden mechanic -ception):
    Lerk poison can not drain life lower than 5 hp.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    A Crag's passive heal can only affect 3 things at once. This might also apply to heal wave.
    (I'm not sure if this is still in)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Mouse wrote: »
    A Crag's passive heal can only affect 3 things at once. This might also apply to heal wave.

N can't stack them :-(
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Anyway, b2t.

wiki said 20/sec
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    clogs take set damage, so it take the same number of bullets to take down a clog regardless of weapon levels.

playing tip (not so much a hidden mechanic). Before you get bile, instead of guarding a dropped shotgun, build a clog on it to prevent marines claiming it.
  • BlobBlob Join Date: 2013-09-08 Member: 187999Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    Vents where marines can actually jump into/across by yourself if you know how to.
    Summit
    -glass hallway to atrium vent
    -glass hallway to pipe junction gap
    -maintenance access to crossroads gap
    Tram
    - repair to ore vent
    -mezzanine to north tunnels vent
    Veil
    - Dome to pipeline vent
    Docking
    - back alley to ball court vent
    -courtyard to locker entrance up the container without taking the long ramp up
    -maintenance to generator vent
    biodome
    -up the railing separating utility and agri
    descent
    -observation to satellite relay vent
    Blob wrote: »
    Veil
    - Dome to pipeline vent

+ Overlook - Skylights vent (there's two ways, even)
    edited June 2014
    Vents where marines can actually jump into/across by yourself if you know how to.
    Summit
    -glass hallway to atrium vent
    -glass hallway to pipe junction gap
    -maintenance access to crossroads gap
    Tram
    - repair to ore vent
    -mezzanine to north tunnels vent
    Veil
    - Dome to pipeline vent
    Docking
    - back alley to ball court vent
    -courtyard to locker entrance up the container without taking the long ramp up
    -maintenance to generator vent
    biodome
    -up the railing separating utility and agri
    descent
    -observation to satellite relay vent

Summit
    + both of those gap jumps go both ways.
    -Crossroads to Maintenance vent (not very useful)
    - Pipejunction vent (not very useful)
    Tram
    - repair to warehouse vent
    - warehouse ceilings
    - warehouse/repair connector ceilng (really difficult and is pretty useless)
    Veil
    - Dome to Cargo vent
    - Overlook to skylights vent (video tutorial below)
    - West junction to skylights vent (video tutorial)
    - West junction to nanogrid vent (not useful, as you can't get out of it, @Mendasp‌ would be nice with a ladder there!)
    Biodome
    - Bridge to Agrilabs without going the long way around through Falls.
    Veil
    - Dome to pipeline vent

At least 3. You can sit on power node and spam jump - you can double jump from blue box on fuze box - you can jump from fuze box without double jumping. :)
    Veil
    - Dome to pipeline vent

At least 3. You can sit on power node and spam jump - you can double jump from blue box on fuze box - you can jump from fuze box without double jumping. :)

You can also get there from West Junction. I don't know how exactly, but I've seen a video. It's more for bragging rights, though.
    Veil
    - Dome to pipeline vent

You can also get there from West Junction. I don't know how exactly, but I've seen a video. It's more for bragging rights, though.

If you look at my post earlier I linked to a video tutorial for that one. And it IS very useful in pubs if overlook is clogged up.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    Some lvl 60 tips:
    #1: Bunny Hop - While jumping forward, holding Left/Right key (and Forward) while turning very slowly in the matching direction gives you a small amount of bonus speed over time (only works on Skulks).

#2: To keep your speed when turning rapidly in the air, hold Forward + Left/Right (in opposite direction of your turn. eg turn left, hold Right key)
    This automatically curves your movement while in the air, without losing much speed, but makes your air movement more predictable.

• craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Commanders can see:
    - Health and Armor of selected enemy unit (maybe obvious, but pretty useful if hunting down onos)

Additional Marine Commanders can see:
    - Eggs which are players who currently evolve

Additional Alien Commanders can see:
    - What is currently researched in the armslab, if it's parasited.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    alright, here's another big update.
    i've started a commander-specific list as i guess it can be very useful as well, so if there are more hidden mechanics in that direction, please go ahead and share them :)
    you can find the list in the second post of this thread.
    i also used sandbox mode and balance files (.lua) to double-check / figure out details of some contributions and theories. however, some stuff is too hard to figure out in sandbox mode (e.g. there are no unfinished structures) so there are "unconfirmed" sections in the normal list and also in the commander list.

again, thanks so much for all the contributions. even personally i learned quite some new stuff so i guess any rookie can greatly profit from these collections. i'll probably set this up as a steam guide today.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This one came up in a game last night -

All marine structures take the same amount of time to recycle, regardless of current HP. However refunded res is proportionate to the remaining HP of the structure
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    it's completely insane there are this many HIDDEN mechanics, most of which are incredibly useful, and some of which I did not even know after over one and a half thousand hours of play
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    LET'S MAKE A LIST OF HIDDEN MECHANICS

Plus comme LETS MAKE A LIST OF TIPS TO DISPLAY DURING LOADING SCREENS
    @IronHorse‌

We've got everything useful here, compiled in list form so CDT dont have to sit around brainstorming the list. All we need now is the behaviour programmed into the loading screens. Seriously this would be so incredibly helpful for players of all skill levels.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    + loading screens with good placed structures ;)
    edited June 2014
    that would be helpful (especially compared to current tips such as "you spawn from eggs or infantry portals") but i'd also like to point out that this list is mostly about knowledge, not about recommended best practises etc.

so i guess it comes down to what kind of tips the CDT wants to put in the loading screens.

but personally, i think people should not be indoctrinated with opinions, because those are always debateable (even if they are super-popular). even the 90%-build powernode thing has a downside: it takes a bit longer to walk back to the powernode to finish it when the extractor is done, e.g. you could be killed during that time. i kept it on the list because it seems helpful most of the time.
    in general, i marked anything that seems (to some degree) debateable as an example (e.g.)
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Been playing since Alpha, didn't know about Gorge 2x heal while looking down! Great info!
    @Laosh'Ra‌ I agree. In parituclar the 90%-build powernode thing - I don't do it and it anoys the crap out of me when people try to force me to do it (with +2k hours worth of fucking experience).
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Infantry Portals still work even if the command station at their location gets destroyed.
    That may be obvious to most of you, but it was a big wtf moment to me when I found out.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    craZyfx wrote: »
    - Eggs which are players who currently evolve
    I completely forgot about it. But as Marines you can tell on the map which eggs are "eggs" and which are evolving people. The evolving people one is slightly larger and more "egg shaped." I'll try to get a screenie later.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    If the observatory is in a different room than the Command Center, the reviving will not work, but Marines will still be teleported as usual. However, the beacon will not teleport to techpoints that have no finished Command Center.
    This should be corrected, mechanics are very complicated, I will try to do my best:
    Reviving will not work if you are spawning at IP that does not belong to beacon destination (If obs itself is in different room, it doesn't matter, as long as it beacons to room where you spawning)
    Hallucination cloud can be also be used to create hallucinations of harvesters and hives by using them on empty but infested resource nozzles or tech points.
    Only harvester hallucinations require infestation, hives don't, this is not clear in this tip.
    do marine control groups remain persistent even when some/all marines die?
    I am not 100% sure, but when I was commanding a match and had a 100% green friend with me, I assigned control group to him, and sometimes his icon was disappearing, probably because he was dead, but it was appearing after a while. Was few build ago and I wasn't paying that much attention to him, as I was still a commander for everyone.
    You can queue any order that is executed by clicking on the map e.g. deploying ARCs when they reach their destination
    A little note here, deploy ARC is the only action that I found that can be queued and is not executed on map. No need to correct tip, just so you know.

Yes, this is true and that's why you should learn from alien commander BOT. It places up to ten crags in main hive, probably so all the eggs, aliens, cysts, harvester, possible hydras and all the other structures could be healed at same time. On a more serious note, placing more crags at arced location could really make a difference between losing and saving it.
    I completely forgot about it. But as Marines you can tell on the map which eggs are "eggs" and which are evolving people. The evolving people one is slightly larger and more "egg shaped." I'll try to get a screenie later.
    Also, if it is a higher lifeform evolving, it will *usually* be under effect of mist. And if mist affects something, it creates additional mist effect above each structure it is affecting. That way, you can see this special mist above eggs that are actually player. No idea how to explain it, you just have to witness it.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014

If they have armor of depleted uranium a light year thick, neutrinos are the only projectile that will be able to hit them.

Curiously there actually exist neutrino sources bright enough to kill: core collapse super nova. When viewed at less than an AU (!!!), the neutrinos will escape first and the dose will be in the tens of sieverts, which can be enough to outright incapacitate, but death follows only in a few days. Yes, OK, it's one of the most luminous events in the Universe, and yes, it might be inside the stars atmosphere, and yes you won't survive more than minutes either way, but the neutrinos technically could escape and knock you unconcious first.