You know you are terrible at NS2 when..

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
Almost all the skill arrows are double red up, and there is a rookie server with = skill :P

NS2Skill_zpsx2c2geld.png

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Hahaha same here m8!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Ahh, but @Saffron_baker , do you have 1954 hours logged in the game?
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Ahh, but @Saffron_baker , do you have 1954 hours logged in the game?

ofcourse
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    I lost 100 hive ranking points in a game where I was 25-4 but we had to concede because the rest of the team was afk, then I lost 50 points because I joined the losing team for 30 seconds before they lost.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I lost 100 hive ranking points in a game where I was 25-4 but we had to concede because the rest of the team was afk, then I lost 50 points because I joined the losing team for 30 seconds before they lost.

...and then you played 10 more games and got it back...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »

...and then you played 10 more games and got it back...

Nonsense, who spends time playing video games when they can complain about them online!

I'm just saying skill rank is entirely relative to being on the right team at the right time.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    "being on the right team at the right time" sounds like you are saying luck. I am just saying that if you play enough luck should not be a factor in your hive value in the long run. If you think you are consistently unlucky maybe there is a factor you are not considering that is lowering your skill value.

For example just last week I had a skill value of 1988. I had been playing aliens a lot that week. This week I have hit a low of 1764 where my skill value is right now, because I have been playing marines mostly this week. When I play a more even mix like I do most of the time, my hive score sits at about 1850.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    You know either the community or the skill system is borked when all of the servers are DoubleDown, all the time.
    The average hive skill is 882, and the median hive skill is 983. Calego, your hive skill is ~1850 so it is not surprising that all the servers are double down arrow. Wonitor has shown us that even the supposedly high skilled servers have an average value of 1500-1600.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    My hive score dropped over 400 points this last week thanks to shuffle and incorrect hive scores...
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    The average hive skill is 882, and the median hive skill is 983. Calego, your hive skill is ~1850 so it is not surprising that all the servers are double down arrow. Wonitor has shown us that even the supposedly high skilled servers have an average value of 1500-1600.

So the community is borked. Got it. :)
    edited February 2016
    I'm just saying for Hive to be an accurate representation of a player's skill it shouldn't be so dependent on the rest of the team. In a contained environment like tournaments and pugs it's perfectly acceptable, but casually jumping between public games it starts to show it's flaws.

At the base level it should at least calculate the amount of time the player has played during the match in comparison to the total match time, as a player's calculated skill level shouldn't be docked or raised significantly if they only spent 30 seconds playing in a 30 minute game. This would alleviate some skill inconsistency issues as well as not punishing players as much if they decide to join a losing game.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    At the base level it should at least calculate the amount of time the player has played during the match in comparison to the total match time

I think it does. If this link is still valid
    https://moultano.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/a-skill-ranking-system-for-natural-selection-2/

It says:
    t_i is the time spent in the round, an exponential weighting of each second so that being in the round at the beginning counts more than being in the round at the end. Integrals over exponents are easy, so you can implement this as t_i = a^{-\text{entrance time}} - a^{-\text{exit time}}. Set a to something like 2^{2/r} where r is the median round length. This means that playing until the middle of an average round counts more than playing from the middle to the end, no matter how long the round takes.

edited February 2016
    Aeglos wrote: »

So the community is borked. Got it. :)

Maybe, 74% of players have a global K/D less than or equal to 1 in hive.
    d5eI2yY.png
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    In other skill ranking systems I've seen fewer points awarded/deducted the more games a user has played. Keeps the skills a bit more stable for veterans. Would something like this work for NS2 do you think? @moultano
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I personally think win/loss isn't the way to go for balancing. Simply because you end up with high skill players with a low ranking (because they always try to balance teams) or low skill players with a high ranking (from stacking as much as they can)

Seems to me like a combination of kdr and spm (score per minute) would be the most accurate. Lowering a pro players hive score when they lose with 88-2, and have killed 8+ rt's and have double the score of anyone else... All because their team or comm is bad, that's just broken..

It should only go up or down on a win/loss if you're commanding.

Because a player with insanely high kdr or spm can EASILY carry their team. So much so that their hive score feels like it should be 4000-5000+... In most cases the only times they lose is either when they have a bad comm, or the aliens pull off a successful early base rush..

Just yesterday i was in a game with a 3.0+ kdr player with around 1800 hive score on marine along with two 2000+ hive score players, up against a team with one 2200 something player and a bunch of 1000-1200 players...

One guess how that game turned out..
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Skill in this game is relative to the server effectively. I know this because I only played on the No Rookies Captains server when I started playing again.

I started with 1200 and would get picked late. When getting picked late I would win something like 80% of games. That's gone down to something very close to 50% on the way to 2500.

The flaw in the system is the range of accuracy. I've floated between 2300-2800 consistently for a while now. If I played more hours that would go up with my consistency.

I saw a big spike when I started lerking as did @turtsmcgurt , but as I started to get known as a lerk the spike reversed and started to stabilize (probly different for turts as he bites far more effectively than me). We're not going to get a consistent skill system without thousands of players and a ranked match system that bases skill on 2 round matches. Community servers are no place for sir Elo's chess based system
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I personally think win/loss isn't the way to go for balancing. Simply because you end up with high skill players with a low ranking (because they always try to balance teams) or low skill players with a high ranking (from stacking as much as they can)

Seems to me like a combination of kdr and spm (score per minute) would be the most accurate. Lowering a pro players hive score when they lose with 88-2, and have killed 8+ rt's and have double the score of anyone else... All because their team or comm is bad, that's just broken..

It should only go up or down on a win/loss if you're commanding.

Because a player with insanely high kdr or spm can EASILY carry their team. So much so that their hive score feels like it should be 4000-5000+... In most cases the only times they lose is either when they have a bad comm, or the aliens pull off a successful early base rush..

Just yesterday i was in a game with a 3.0+ kdr player with around 1800 hive score on marine along with two 2000+ hive score players, up against a team with one 2200 something player and a bunch of 1000-1200 players...

One guess how that game turned out..

Score/min is so directly correlated to your kdr that I think it would be better than kdr in all ways for this game to balance skill rankings. If you play with certain people you notice they'll have a high player damage but abysmally low structure damage and build time.

In the ratio of psmg-sdmg-btime, where on marines I get 10000-30000-1:30 and the top fragger gets 15000-5000-0:20, I don't care about people saying he was the best player. I know that all he was is the most selfish player and that my game was played significantly better than his and I had more effect. I understand his frags are important, but so is solo capping and maintaining 1v1 victories.

This kind of kdr is better represented through score. And kdr is not the same for pressure and solo-capping.

@nordic what's the average hive skill for players with atleast 100 hive hours?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I've often thought that if KDR had less of an impact on your Score points in game, and if you included more activities that counted toward said points.. then you could just rely on your score as a metric of skill.
    It's already a system that's weighted and mostly completed, counting things like assists and building.. just add more things like defending an RT under attack etc and you could rely on that.

The only reason I've thought that this might be a good measurement is that most of the time the players contributing the most to the team's win are at the top of the board due to the Score points - and very often they have poor KDR... so it's already counting things that aren't too abuse-able at least.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited February 2016
    When you think there should be a 4-15 score based step for semi newbies. Ahem.

PS, Iron Horse is right, level is a good indicator for the first 50 or so stages. I still hate you.

"Around Christmas time, I finally bought new set-up. " Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Jelly.
    edited February 2016
    Frozen wrote: »
    @nordic what's the average hive skill for players with atleast 100 hive hours?

Average skill is 1297 and median skill 1206 for players with at least 100 hours recorded in hive.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I've often thought that if KDR had less of an impact on your Score points in game,
    The nice thing about that is it can be tested mathematically. The hive skill system is built on win lose. Any skill that does not result in winning does not matter. So how well a players KD correlates to their hive score compared to how well their SPM correlates to their hive score should be telling.

I have tried doing this correlation tonight but I am getting conflicting answers. I will give an update when I figure out what I did wrong.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    2cough wrote: »
    Elo is accurate, period, but could be better tailored to ns2 if it separated factions and commander games.
    NO! ELO is PERSONAL; therefore it cannot be calculated upon the ENTIRE TEAM win/lose.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Elo is accurate, period, but could be better tailored to ns2 if it separated factions and commander games.
    NO! ELO is PERSONAL; therefore it cannot be calculated upon the ENTIRE TEAM win/lose.

Yes elo is personal, and as @Therius said, with enough games, the ones that are losses due to other players are made up for in the same manner when your ass is carried hard. The rest are genuine reflections of your likelihood of getting your team to victory.

You cannot argue with numbers. The players that are hard carries have elos like 2800+. They can make up for a whole team of garbage. Their elos reflect this.

Players that aren't carries and cannot shift the tide of a game on their own do not have elos anywhere near that stratosphere.

Why? Because elo is accurate.

Of course, this system can be and has been abused by players familiar with its nuance, but that does not mean you should throw the baby out with the bath water.

I'm not saying I don't think it could be improved, but I'm saying if you play enough games, w/l will reflect accurately enough your likelihood to win. You can't honestly look at the hive dashboard's top players and tell me that their elo is not accurate.

Yes there are outliers, but again... The concept of elo in general principal works well enough.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Since I came back to NS2 I've found people to be obsessed by their ELO score. What's up with that ? That system makes no sense and in no way reflects the actual skill of a player. Also, you don't play for almost a year and you keep your ELO as is. No downgrade
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This was a post about me being bad at NS2, not a comment on the skill system..
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    You cannot argue with numbers.

That guy can argue with anything.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    You know you are terrible at NS2 when..

... you command and a div1 player is telling you to build phase but then denie to finish it cause its 3 meters away from the "perfect" position.