Hotfix Build 284 - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageHotfix Build 284 - Natural Selection 2

Build 284 fixes a critical issue of build 283. New players keyboard input wasn't working anymore due to a script error introduced by Build 263.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well... You know what this is telling you then? Bring back local chat :smiley:
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I have it from local chat sources that a feature of similar capacity much make a grand return :tongue:
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2016
    My server refuses to update to hotfix 284

edit:updated
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Local chat should just be local all chat
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    How about displaying the location of the one chatting (in the textbox and next to voice icon)?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    How about displaying the location of the one chatting (in the textbox and next to voice icon)?

How does one trollstalk a marine as a stealth alien if they know where you are though :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »

How does one trollstalk a marine as a stealth alien if they know where you are though :D

As I mentioned in the other thread, local voice is by default only heard by your team. Some servers have local voice as all chat. This has led to confusion of its use.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I totally missed this local voice feature. And now its gone :neutral:
    CCTEE wrote: »
    I totally missed this local voice feature. And now its gone :neutral:

Yeah, I still don't understand this "omg newbs are confusified" bit as a reason to remove features... Seems a bit backwards :tongue:
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am surprised to see this reaction to it being gone because it differs so much from my in game experience. I was such a strong supporter of local voice. Since it was introduced I have seen 2 other people use it in game besides myself, even though I made sure the regulars I play with knew about it. Players would often ask me not to use local voice because they found it annoying to see my name pop up with no sound.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    I am surprised to see this reaction to it being gone because it differs so much from my in game experience. I was such a strong supporter of local voice. Since it was introduced I have seen 2 other people use it in game besides myself, even though I made sure the regulars I play with knew about it. Players would often ask me not to use local voice because they found it annoying to see my name pop up with no sound.

Yeah like I said, half implemented and barely spoken about. There is clearly a problem with how it was added if they're complaining about you using it and seeing your name pop-up with no sound.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It worked well. But I've seen more rookies using Local talk than real talk. Almost certainly they immediately wonder why no one can hear them or is responding. The flickering voice name was more of a nuisance than anything (probably a bug), but it too was wierd.

All of us who have played this game got used to the old way of having one channel for comms, and so we sorta forgot about it after a few days of breathing down our buddies necks in the ready room. Two binds was meh, but unavoidable, so most likely not many people even set it up.

Sad to say, those of you complaining about this are among the ~20 people in ns2 that understood and used this chat for its intended purpose. It'll be back, and better hopefully.
    edited February 2016
    Yeah like I said, half implemented and barely spoken about. There is clearly a problem with how it was added if they're complaining about you using it and seeing your name pop-up with no sound.

As you can see here, I made some suggestions a long time ago.
  • hart4uhart4u Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153717Members
    can somebody tell me how to support/teach rookies in spectator mode without the local voice chat? I mean, whats the whole point of this rookie only servers then?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    hart4u wrote: »
    can somebody tell me how to support/teach rookies in spectator mode without the local voice chat? I mean, whats the whole point of this rookie only servers then?

The whole point of rookie only is to let rookies learn the game at their own pace, without veterans/stompers influencing the outcomes of games, we have tried the mentor approach many times over and it only works for a small amount of players, you can't expand it to a larger scale as its very subjective.

Just do what I do at end of every round - take a minute to talk with the rookies, ask them why they lost, what they think went wrong, what could they of done better.

Pretend that you are doing a live survey, you'll find it might just work :blush:
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    The mentors never had enough server control to provide properly
    Ex: the game suddendly starts while you are explaining something...
    Frozen wrote: »
    I looked at a rookie server last night. They were having a great time and no one was helping

That is an understated but incredibly important point. Rookies do not need us to teach them how to play to have fun.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    hey local chat is confusing to rookies lets remove it, oh btw 5 lifeforms are also confusing lets remove them...great solution
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    RadimaX wrote: »
    hey local chat is confusing to rookies lets remove it, oh btw 5 lifeforms are also confusing lets remove them...great solution

Glad you're being so positive for a change.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Watched a bunch of rookies the other night for 2 games, they ended up fighting for the comm chair, one dude jumped out to save base after they all screamed at him, another guy hopped in, they ejected that guy then the other dude jumped in and became unresponsive so they ejected that guy and there base was rushed by walker fades and spitting gorges which all had bile.

Another game a some skulk took out 3shotgun marines they called him a cheater because there shotguns didn't work ( i think the server had poor quality and or the idle went below 15 at that point in the game and a slight rubberbanding happened (no tickrate drops) )

My only comment regarding this is, please make sure the servers are optimised otherwise those rookies will have bad experiences.

Also i played through the tutorial about 5times over the weekend on a spare computer of mine with a nonsteam version of NS2 (no internet for that period) and i realised that the tutorial doesn't teach players fade, onos or it doesn't really get into much on the alien side, that and things are buggy, it teaches the marines to build the res node first (by standing on the res node and requesting the res) then building power.

So you can see why some things are pissing people off is because the tutorial is a piece of shit.

I was actually shocked to find that i had to join a rookie server to play a game, kind of pissed off, so i made a local server and played against bots and they were all so stupid to the point the game wasn't even fun. I hate the tutorial, i hate the bots but i love the game.

I feel for our rookie friends.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Glad you're being so positive for a change.

yeah its for the best...since it turned out only veterans knew how to use there was no point keeping it and renaming it veteran chat would be TWICE the change then removing it i guess :) great update cant wait to see whats removed next.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2016
    @nizb0ag Do you believe anyone on the team (or most of the community, even) doesn't know how poor the tutorial is? That's precisely why it's being redone.
    The good news is that it's extremely easy to complete as it is right now, so if a rookie doesn't want to play on rookie only servers anymore (until reaching level 3) they can do that instead.

As for the quality of games in rookie only servers - whatever is occurring its better than them being stomped. (idk why someone like you would be joining these servers? That sounds shady)
    Accounts of commander drama sound no different than the average pub game, and actually reflect 2 games I played just last night with an all vet pub team.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Being someone who actively worked in ns2 mentor programs I have to completely agree.
    Doesnt harm to do both but rookies seem to work fine JUST with rookies.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2016

This is all that was needed to fix the issue that local chat was intended to fix
    Local chat or not, this is needed and a pretty simple feature that would seriously make a difference.

All local chat is good for is whispering sweet nothings into your teammates ears in a realistic-feeling fashion. It's NS2 ASMR ;)