Should the Knife be removed.

2»

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Bruh I could take a piss in the water and probably kill more things with the PH imbalance

Acid whut ya did there. Such caustic wit.

Love it. :)

• gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    Why not eliminate the whole surival part completely now that we are at it?

the best example for a survival game is another game on steam called Stranded Deep with is a bit similar as you play as a sole plane crash survivor on a Uninhabited island vs a Uninhabited planet

the only difference is in subnatutica is it seems your character is from a super advanced futuristic pacifist vegan civilization, personally I don't see why you cant kill a stalker, sandshark, or anything bigger then what you can catch and harvest it for the meat
    stalker soup, sandshark steak anyone?

its called hunting and gathering

I also think that such a civilization would be conservative it the sense of being able to recharge battery's and power cells rather then just dumping the old discharged into the environment
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    Hmm, options, options, Do I harvest and feed on every little fish I can clearing an area and as a result starving every predator that is above them on the food chain causing mass area extinction, or do I pray on a few stalkers which would reward way more food and result in me having to kill less things having less of an impact on the ecology.

Personally I love having tons of wildlife around me which is why in my base builds I always catch and release fish next to my base's oh FYI you can gravity gun a school of fish and pull the lot of them around to your base as well which looks epic.

I wonder why the dev's are so sure that people will just kill everything, sure some one might try it in a game as a challenge for themselves but those people will be in the vast minority most of us regardless of how many weapons we have will probably only kill what we need to survive.

Challenege for you all... Grab your gravity gun go find a crash fish and then use it as an rpg on a stalker :)
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    Taiphoz wrote: »

Challenege for you all... Grab your gravity gun go find a crash fish and then use it as an rpg on a stalker :)

HEHEhehehe sounds entertaining
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    Hmm, options, options, Do I harvest and feed on every little fish I can clearing an area and as a result starving every predator that is above them on the food chain causing mass area extinction, or do I pray on a few stalkers which would reward way more food and result in me having to kill less things having less of an impact on the ecology.

Or, OR, you could catch 2 fish from each catchable species and breed them, and, together with the farming of edible plants, you could create an infinitive food source with no impact on the ecosystem save for those 2 fish you caught (which you can release later on again anyway when you've bred enough fish yourself).

Killing things in this game, IMO, should never happen. You should only use the smaller fish as a food source and only until you've set up a profitable farming setup, and you should only need to harm (not kill) bigger ones to scare them away from you. I know that this is not yet possible until the farming update hits the main branch, but this is, again IMO, what the devs are aiming for; an exploration game, which happens to have some survival elements in it. Food should only really be an issue in the beginning, until you've set up a good farming array, leaving the ecosystem to be explored, not exploited
  • perseusstormperseusstorm Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210598Members
  • BoltWardenBoltWarden Canada Join Date: 2016-01-14 Member: 211402Members
    The Knife is a tool, hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....,

Settle down dude... I'm starting to get the feeling that your 'soul' purpose in life is to declare that a knife can only ever be considered a genocide weapon... ;P

• raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    edited January 2016
    there is another lethal weapon than knife: seamoth, just use this thing as battering ram
    Yeah shove an armour upgrade in it so you dont take damage and then go ham and just ram everything , I do this often when gathering in the grassy fields as its full of biters, well used to be full of biters im sure if killed them all by now.
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    actually noted that seamoth is more lethal than I thought ... accidental actually killed stalker with perimeter defense (click shot which typically I use to scare off predators while I pick metals nearby ...well this stalker didnt want to leave after 1st shock and 2nd killed it:S) and yes I know full charge is lethal enough for any bloodsucker, but not lethal against sandshark btw
  • LukamicLukamic Australia Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210932Members
    What i want to know is, why is there no option for keeping the knife???
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited January 2016
    Pre-Script:
    I actually would like to avoid the argument about animal ethics, etc.
    anywho
    *clicks discussion*
    "Should the knife be removed?"
    hmm... Yes or no?
    *checks options*
    "1. Yes, (etc)
    2. Yes, (etc)
    3. Yes, (etc)"

If you're asking a yes or no question, could I at least have a "no" option?

P.S.
    People may not agree with your ideas. But if you're asking a yes or no question, and you believe one is correct, then some people are going to disagree. could you at least make some room for that disagreement?

thanks for reading this comment

Ye olde edits:
    oh hey. the guy above me posted the exact same thing, but shorter. sorry for making you read this long comment, then. My bad.
  • BreathinBuddahBreathinBuddah WA Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211414Members
    Lock incoming?
    I like the knife in Subnautica, and I wouldn't have associated it with violence if not for this thread.
    Mixed feelings on the thread.
  • TheJewelOfJoolTheJewelOfJool Southwestern Ontario Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211261Members
    They're more than certainly keeping the knife.
  • perseusstormperseusstorm Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210598Members
    i think that there should be more lethal weapon face the facts it is a dangerous world with fish that can kill you if you what a pacifists game go play minecraft on peaceful mode because we want a challenging game that we have to grind away at tell we could get to a colonization state witch involves killing hostels
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    edited January 2016
    Nope. Keep the knife. When discussing this game, I like to think of what we, Humanity, would come equipped for in a terraforming mission to colonize a planet. Well, there's the non-lethal weapons, and the cool tools... But wait. There's some creepvine over here. How do we cut it? I mean, do I use my trusty knife, or some non-sharp, non-pointy, non-cutting tool that can't cut paper?
    Sure, the knife is dangerous. But think of the amount of use it is as a tool. Oh, what about lasers? Nope, those are lethal too, especially since this is the future we're talking about.

Pros of removing knife:
    - Makes this one person happy.
    - Allows you to be a true pacifist.
    - Is good for people who are afraid of knives.

Cons of removing knife:
    - You get rid of a trusty, useful weapon and tool.
    - You may as well get rid of the Seamoth, thermoknife, upgraded knife, Cyclops, and everything else because why not?
    - Doing so, every bit of Humanity's survival essence is destroyed.
    - The developers now need to create another tool that can't be lethal but works as well as a knife.
    - We also lose any source of Humanity's old school tools that still work just fine.

And there you have it, Mr.TrollBait6969!

Edit: Here's another thing I remembered. What about the exosuit? Obviously, the exosuit will have items such as drills, lasers, and maybe even a few weapons. Will you remove the exosuit too?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Am I the only one around here that catches fish with his bare hands, I use that knoife for cutting vines and coral...

Also is this some kind of weirdly disguised vegan thread?

To add to this thread as well...

Games are about options, if you want to destroy all life on this planet you should be able to do so if you please. However using the knife seems a bit too underpowered for that, armored Seamoth is your best bet right now, but even that would take extremely long. Anyways, that is called freedom. Guess what, you also have the freedom to not use the knife for killing, see how this works both ways...

I mean what does removing the knife from the game actually achieve? It only limits the survival part of the game for people who simply don't care about this non violence concept... Also, I never even thought about using the knife as such, because you can just catch em all...

Oh one more thing btw lol. Cooking fish and knifing them basically results in the same damn thing... Deadified (cookiefied <- cooked, with flame knife)... So if you don't want to knife stuff, don't cook em either. Oh what's that you say, you will go hungry? Well la-di-da, there's an option called freedom mode just for that dammit and even creative mode... Oh crap, there are those options again, can't have that now can we? But yeah, everyone get's to play the game they want and everyone is happy. You can't just go around trying to control others, you silly git :tongue:

A knife is a rather important diver's tool used in emergencies if you get tangled or simply have to cut some rope, as already mentioned in this thread. And since this game is still in, what was it again pre-release Alpha. You cannot really judge the knife on how it's used right now, for all we know it will be turned into a darkmatter powered lazor sword able to slice the planet in half with one swipe, or not...

Your poll is not very good either, seems incomplete in the "options" department :trollface:
    came back to this thread and read some of the new replies ...... I have to wonder if some of you guys even read the the first page or hell even the first two or three posts because it really does not look like you did.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    came back to this thread and read some of the new replies ...... I have to wonder if some of you guys even read the the first page or hell even the first two or three posts because it really does not look like you did.

Such consummate subtlety is lost on most of us, I'm afraid.

Your poll (such as it was) appeared to be most emphatic in its proposal, yet confusing in its actual intent.
    Yeah screwed the poll up big time, wish there was an edit option.
  • BadprenupBadprenup Join Date: 2016-01-24 Member: 211945Members
    edited January 2016
    Wouldn't the better option just be to make the knife more useful as a tool, as it seems mostly like anything you can do with it you can do without it. For example, make so instead of just being able to punch through deposits for ores barehanded you tug on it and loosen it, and the deposit is added to your inventory. You then need to return to the pod to extract the materials. But if you have the knife you can smash through it like you currently can, skipping that step and filling your inventory with mats you possibly don't want.

Or Creepvine Seed harvesting (I think that is what it is called I can't remember). If you try and pull them off barehanded give a chance for them to burst or break, but using a knife gives you a clean cut and guarantees you get them.

Also, seeing how this is a futuristic place you came from, keep the tool but adjust the appearance and name. It doesn't need to be a knife it can be called an impact extractor and look like a tube with a pyramid tip that forcibly extends if you hit the tip into something. Or anything really, the sky is the limit with a sci-fi setting.
  • JaggSauceJaggSauce Denmark Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212349Members
    "should we do A or B?"
    1. A
    2. A.02
    3. A with a mix of lowercase A.

Good job giving us a fucking choice.
  • EjemorehEjemoreh Join Date: 2016-02-19 Member: 213203Members
    Well if we dollow this line of thinking maybe we should remove the propulsion gun, and the stasis rifle since you can freeze fish of volcanoes and watch them burn, maybe we should remove the only two vehicles in the game because we can run into fish with them, and maybe we should just spawn into reaper infested waters and just die because we love our very friendly carnivore neighbors, doesn't that sound like fun? No then stop talking about removing things that are A. Solidly implemented and B. Are made to where the average player doesn't feel confident in taking on carnivores.