Build 281: Tutorial and Editor Update! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited January 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 281: Tutorial and Editor Update! - Natural Selection 2

Hi Ho, Hi Ho! Work continues and shows no sign of slowing up. Today we are releasing what some would consider a smaller patch, but for us it shows our...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Commenting for comments
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Thanks for the update :D
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    ETA on clogs on minimap please. >:)@remi
  • axamdeepaxamdeep Shanghai, China Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72226Members, Squad Five Blue
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    will this fix my HIVE kills and assists going back down to 0 / 0 after years of playing?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    RadimaX wrote: »
    will this fix my HIVE kills and assists going back down to 0 / 0 after years of playing?
    Add it as a persistent bug here.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RadimaX wrote: »

That's a hive issue, nothing to do with the patch, hive is fucked, you will have to wait til hive 2.0
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    hive is fucked, you will have to wait til hive 2.0

Damn, because i see other people games being logged and updated while all my hive stats stopped January 8th and its frustrating since im level 199 lol it pisses me off quite a bit actually seeing it stuck like that with no kills and no assists aswell haha or maybe im overthinking it.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can we have more patches with Replace("//", "--") ffs
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    "Added Chinese, Japanese and Romanian as language options"

Does that mean we'll be able to write non-latin/cyrilic by default at some point ? As I try to type hiraganas/kanjis (japanese) I find myself unable to see or send anything.

Also there doesn't seem to even be one line of japanese in the whole jp translation. How was this tested ?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    This build has screwed up the server browser for me..

Now when it's populating the servers are being scrambled so it's impossible to click on one until the its done.

This means watching 2-3+ servers at once for an open spot via refresh doesn't work anymore. Most of the time a spot opens up, it gets taken before the list is done populating and you can click on it.

Rather annoying to say the least.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    You should have mentioned that although the game now supports those three languages: Romanian, Japanese and Chinese, none of those translations are actually complete.

The blogpost about B281 couldn't be more confusing. Romanian, Japanese and Chinese are now supported ingame but according to the translation page http://translate.naturalselection2.com/ on which you can make an account and help translating the game, suggests that only 68.19% of the Romanian translation is done, 42.99% as for the Chinese (simplified) language and 21.61 regarding Japanese.

So yeah, you can switch to Japanese (for instance) ingame but since only 21% of the game is translated in this language, you may encounter many strings which remain in english. I don't know why the newpost isn't clear at this regard.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    when first connecting to a server last night, I got d/c and the disconnection notification that came up in the middle screen just contained a path to a lua file. Will try and repro or check logs when i get back home
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had an empty message box (shouldve said 'kicked' i think').
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RedSword wrote: »

Does that mean we'll be able to write non-latin/cyrilic by default at some point ? As I try to type hiraganas/kanjis (japanese) I find myself unable to see or send anything.

Also there doesn't seem to even be one line of japanese in the whole jp translation. How was this tested ?

It was my understanding you need to have the japanese fonts installed prior to changing language? I mean, why wouldn't a japanese player have japanese fonts? lol
    CCTEE wrote: »

I had this also.. Should've been the server is full message. Instead it was blank.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016

Okay this might be a little confusing but this patch only added those languages as selectable options to the option menu.

NS2 still doesn't support kanji or kana natively yet! That's the reason why half of the menu doesn't get displayed if you select Chinese, Korean or Japanese. However there are a few mods avaible at the steam workshop adding support for those:

I hope we can add support for asian chars to the vanilla fonts as well in one of the upcoming builds. Also we are curently looking into transfering the NS2 translations to the new UWE translation page which is used for subnautica as well.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    Got disconnection notfication about clientlaoded.lua, some crash when in join a server or a team and the server browser is not static when it's searching for server (so i need to wait until ALL the server are found to join).
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Okay this might be a little confusing but this patch only added those languages as selectable options to the option menu.

NS2 still doesn't support kanji or kana natively yet! That's the reason why half of the menu doesn't get displayed if you select Chinese, Korean or Japanese. However there are a few mods avaible at the steam workshop adding support for those:

I hope we can add support for asian chars to the vanilla fonts as well in one of the upcoming builds. Also we are curently looking into transfering the NS2 translations to the new UWE translation page which is used for subnautica as well.

The problem is, with current build, a JP/CN/KO might choose its language, do "wtf, sigh" then quit/have to revert. It would feel "right" to at least get the mod for you when you choose those languages.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    CCTEE wrote: »
    I had this also.. Should've been the server is full message. Instead it was blank.
    So far i had
    • "your files differs from..." (on a server with players)
    • "Empty message"
    • "/xxx/load_xx.lua"
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    Those getting consistency errors are because the servers have not yet updated their servers.

If someone has confirmed that their server is indeed updated (try updating it again because this build had a hiccup and was reuploaded some 4 hours after it originally went out) and a client is still getting this (after they have verified their game files) please provide us with your log.txt or your zip file thats generated from running techsupport.exe (after you've closed ns2)

As for the server sorting issues, the server now remembers your sorting preferences from the last time, so are you sure that its not changing/ sorting based on your preference?
    I will try to reproduce this now myself.

EDIT: It takes 2 seconds for my server browser to be entirely static (waiting on 2 servers on avg) when sorting based on ping, so I am not seeing what the rest of you are seeing? Anyone have a video of this?
    EDIT2: Ahhh I see what you all mean.. It is not actually remembering the setting if you navigate to the main menu or restart NS2. Reported, thanks. As a workaround in the meantime, click any sorting preference AS ITS UPDATING and it should refrain from doing that for the most part. (I click ping)
    edited January 2016
    I've also noticed it's not putting my favorites at the top of the list anymore unless I click to sort them that way...

Before I could go into the browser and every single time it would put my favorites first... Now they're scattered throughout the list and I have to click the favorites button first... A minor annoyance sure, but it gets more annoying when you click that favorites button then see a spot that was open suddenly gets filled... and you know that if it had been at the top when you first went in, you would be on that server happily playing instead of sitting in the browser still waiting.

I don't know.. I guess I just don't understand what was wrong with the server browser in the first place? It always worked and sorted the servers just fine for me. (up until now anyway)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Such Wow. B281 improved the player counts. :tongue:
    98QHAbs.jpg

Hiring @remi must be bringing them in
    Nordic wrote: »
    98QHAbs.jpg

I would think it's the sale bringing them in. It doesn't seem like many people are happy with the latest builds.

I was actually on a server last night where the admin was promising a rollback to b277 soon and everyone was like "oh thank god"
    Nordic wrote: »
    98QHAbs.jpg

I would think it's the sale bringing them in. It doesn't seem like many people are happy with the latest builds.

I was actually on a server last night where the admin was promising a rollback to b277 soon and everyone was like "oh thank god"

Which server was this exactly? lol
    I can't remember... Either DMD or luckyfkers..

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members

:D:D:D

The server with the most mods and the only server which doesn't have NS2+ that I know of.

Aeglos wrote: »

The server with the most mods and the only server which doesn't have NS2+ that I know of.

Yeah.. I wish DMD ran less mods (so many redundant ones it seems) and LuckyFkers would use NS2+ (don't know what they have against it)

I especially wish DMD would get rid of that annoying ready room rave mod... All it does is spam insanely loud and annoying disco music that (according to them) you need to move like 5 feet away from to not hear it anymore (though it's more like halfway across the map!)

Even with all their problems and annoyances they're still two of the best servers in NA though... Man I miss MCG and KKG.