Impacting the ecosystem (spawntimes and bases as ecostystems)

HumpfyGabHumpfyGab Germany Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210798Members
Some players suggest that playeraction should have a great impact on the surrruoundings, like changing migration and huntingpatterns.
So in short playeractions have a impact on the biome they are performrd in.

As much as I love the idea I have to say that killing some fish will not change the ecosystem. The ecosystem will recover quite fast.
The only expeption would be when the ecosystem is at the brink of collapse allready.

So I gave it some thought and here is my sugestion:

On Ecosystems (Biomes):
I agree that playeraction should have an impact on the souraoundings, but I don't think that playeractions can destroy the ecosystem of a biome unless the player levels the biome with the terraformer...
Most changes in ecosystems take time. Much time.
An easy way to simulate the impact on the surrounding ecosystem the player has are long respawn timers for fish and plants of several ingame days. That way you can destroy a fish population for some time, but other fish from the sourounding area will fill the niche rather quick and multiply quickly because of the perfect surroundings. A change of behavior would probably not occour.
So it would be notable for the player and would force him to change his behavior (to get fish for example), until the fish reimigrate (respawn).

Bases as ecosystems:
When we build a base today it's shiny and it stays that way.
I would like to see plants and later fish and small parasites infesting the new structure after some time and by that creating an ecosystem, blending the base in a little - all that dependig on the biome it is in. It may even be possible that the base attacts (spawns) big predetors.
It would be rather easy to do, too. You just need to add some layers of spawning to the parts of the base and changing its appearence over time (adding plants and barnacles and so on)...
These things could even have an impact on the waterfiltration and the structural integrety and make it necessary to clean up once in a while or repair damage.
This could add a new opportuinies (resourcegathering, fish) and challenges to the survivial without implementing a whole ecosystem simulation.

Furthermore it would contribute to the atmoshere.

So? What do you think?

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I most definitely agree, @HumpfyGab . Environments are dynamic systems. Sooner or later, The Survivor's presence will have a measurable impact, and it should not be limited to having all of the edible fish in the area entirely disappear because of over-harvesting.

Marine fouling organisms should be able to reduce the efficiency of windows, solar panels, water filtration units and nuclear reactors. Possibly even the Cyclops submersible. Cleaning the habitat's exterior surfaces and other fouled equipment might yield edible algae that can be processed into nutrient blocks using the Fabricator, or used to attract new life forms to the area and feed captive fish stocks held in seabases.
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    yeah, i want to see the ability to change the ecosystem, but i also don't want to be responsible for the eradication of a certain species.
    I also love the second idea you mentioned.

this oil rig is able to support a surprising amount of biomass due to the large surface area it provides for barnacles to grow on.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    I love the idea of the base's we build starting to growover with life it will make them look so much cooler than they do now, the only thing would be not to cover glass or hatches.

I actually try really hard when building a base to place it in such a way that there is a lot of plant life and stuff around as close as possible I'v also taken to use the gravity gun to pull bits of corral off the sea floor and plant them/place them on my base , HAHA I grabbed a supper floater and tried to have it resting on top of my base roof which would have looked AMAZING but the hit box's are all wrong so it just didnt look right.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    too annoying :P

BUT if it is added they should add mini cleaner bots that zip zap around the base keeping it in good shape, that way we get a new structure and bots
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    edited January 2016
    tarek wrote: »
    BUT if it is added they should add mini cleaner bots that zip zap around the base keeping it in good shape, that way we get a new structure and bots

^YES.