[TSF]::MEMO:14246::priority:low [RESPONSE REQUIRED] - Natural Selection 2

124»

Comments

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    It stops being special when people stop treating it as special, simple as that. In this example, multiple new black armors would make the old one irrelevant for most people.

No one in public games goes "Oh look at that armor with the goggles and gasmask, it's cool!"

Tell that to the steam community market economy. There's a lot of stuff that's valued more purely because of rarity.
  • Don_Nasri_KaramDon_Nasri_Karam London Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209103Members
    edited January 2016
    I actually preordered the expensive version of this game, but then I decided to abandon that account because I hated the name that I used for it. So, I made a new account and hoped I could gift the game to myself, but just in case, I rebought the game when there was a sale. However, obviously, it was not a preorder then. So, I didn't get the exclusive black armour. That seriously annoys me. One of the main reasons that I have not played the game yet, on any account, is that I'm hoping I will be allowed to transfer my preorder copy of the game from my old abandoned account, to my new account.

By the way, I consider it very unethical to permanently punish people for not buying your product before it can be reviewed, or within a single only limited time. That kind of behaviour is seriously irritating, and can turn people away from your whole company. Such an exclusivity, should never be promised. I don't think anyone likes having parts of their games permanently locked away from them, and being treated like garbage just because they were being cautious, or didn't know about the game earlier. I'm very wary of buying anything from this company now, with manipulative business tactics like that. I made an exception for this company only because I was a very long time fan since the beginning of the mod version of Natural Selection on Half-Life 1. It's a pity that a Valve Software update broke the mod and completely killed it. I hope that this game doesn't become similarly abandoned.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    @Don_Nasri_Karam

Talk about getting the wrong end of the stick. As you know, since you bought a Black Armor, it was only available until July 16th 2008. You would also know, if those Black Armors and had not been sold, NS2 would never have got made in the 1st place.. That's right, there wasn't any game to be reviewed, there was nothing when we bought this game. We were treated because we took a gamble, we could have been spending $40 on nothing. There was never any guarantee the game would get finished.

The rest of your post sounds like a butt hurt child whining. Why would buying a game on pre-order, which was successfully completed, make you cautious about buying anything from UWE again.

Can I advise you DON'T buy their other game Subnautica. I am afraid you may be similarly offended when you find out there is an exclusive Hull Plate that was only available to people who pre-ordered and paid extra, again like NS2.
    Frozen wrote: »
    Din't get me wrawng. I love my exclusive black armor. I'd just trade it for enough players to matchmake games with parties and ranked play at any time of day

@Frozen
    Yeah making a black skin available for Marines is suddenly going to give you enough players to have properly balanced games against.

I would trade my armor for 100,000 regular extra players, but is that going to happen, no, even if 100,000 people came because of the black armor, which they won't, they'd be gone inside 2 weeks. Making black armors available will not improve player retention. This game doesn't need anymore new players. Every sale it gets hundreds of new players, but they never stay around. That is the problem that needs to be solved, and giving away black armors does not fix everything that is wrong with the game.

• GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    I actually preordered the expensive version of this game, but then I decided to abandon that account because I hated the name that I used for it. So, I made a new account and hoped I could gift the game to myself, but just in case, I rebought the game when there was a sale. However, obviously, it was not a preorder then. So, I didn't get the exclusive black armour. That seriously annoys me.
    Your own fault. Would be the same with other games.
    One of the main reasons that I have not played the game yet, on any account, is that I'm hoping I will be allowed to transfer my preorder copy of the game from my old abandoned account, to my new account.
    Srsly? Use your old account.
    By the way, I consider it very unethical ...
    It's not, it gives incentive for buyers to spend more money by getting an extra others don't get. Therefore it helps the recipient to fund his/hers/their project. ... kinda what soul_rider said. It works, e.g. i did that to get that shiny rare black armor that you can't have. MWAHAHAHA :>
    And similar is done this way everywhere, e.g. crowd funding projects.

Back to topic:
    I think i missed when the poll will be closed, when will it be? ... and will the result be announced before the corresponding release?
  • Don_Nasri_KaramDon_Nasri_Karam London Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209103Members
    I don't think I want to enter this toxic community that gloats that they get to have something that others including me can never have, especially when I should have the black armour, because I helped to fund the game, because I bought the black armour. I just cannot use it because it's on the wrong account. I don't see why I cannot transfer it from one account to another when I have never even downloaded, installed, or played it yet on either account, and Steam can easily see that. By the way, I bought this game more than just 2 times. All of them are still unused.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Said toxic therefor argument won.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    I don't think I want to enter this toxic community that gloats that they get to have something that others including me can never have, especially when I should have the black armour, because I helped to fund the game, because I bought the black armour. I just cannot use it because it's on the wrong account. I don't see why I cannot transfer it from one account to another when I have never even downloaded, installed, or played it yet on either account, and Steam can easily see that. By the way, I bought this game more than just 2 times. All of them are still unused.
    @Don_Nasri_Karam
    Idk how you have it "on the wrong account" if you did not activate the DLC code on that account?
    If you activated it already then well, it's going to be on that account only since that's how Steam handles DLC.

If you never activated it, you can visit the humble bundle website's support section and explain your situation / request the DLC code so you can activate it.
    The humble bundle website handled DLC codes while NS2 was in alpha and before UWE utilized Steam to handle the later ones.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    GameOver wrote: »
    Back to topic:
    I think i missed when the poll will be closed, when will it be? ... and will the result be announced before the corresponding release?

So these were the results of the poll, we decided to go with the popular vote. I'm not sure if it will stay named Tundra- but it's being worked on! =)

• DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    rantology wrote: »
    GameOver wrote: »
    Back to topic:

So these were the results of the poll, we decided to go with the popular vote. I'm not sure if it will stay named Tundra- but it's being worked on! =)

Please also make the Imperial Scorpion skin... :)

Also, any idea how much the skin pack will cost?
  • lhooqlhooq 666 Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210940Members
    edited January 2016
    Daphisto wrote: »

I suggest selling them individually to prevent stuff like this. ^
    How much are you willing to pay?

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

On the wrong account? You said earlier, you stopped using the account because you didn't like the name. How about, you start using that account again and change the name? There is NOTHING stopping you from using your black armor other than your own unhappiness at a name you can easily change.

The only person who is stopping you from having your black armor is you. I am really not sure what your problem is, but if you want black armor, use your other account. It's not difficult.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

Not using your account with the black armor because of the account name is absurd, and frankly it's your own fault for not using it. This is the digital era, your account is the proof of ownership on the licenses you purchase. On top of that, you can easily change your community name which is the only name people will see unless they can see the steam client on your desktop.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    lhooq wrote: »

I suggest selling them individually to prevent stuff like this. ^
    How much are you willing to pay?

Judging from the NS2 Trello board, it looks like the Tundra skin pack will include skins for:
    - Male Marine
    - Female Marine
    - LMG
    - Shotgun
    - Exosuit

So bearing that in mind, I would probably say somewhere between $15-$25 USD for a pack like that would be reasonable.

It would also be cool if they associated rarity with each color/skin theme, so the Tundra skins might be considered "Common" rarity at a price like $20USD and then something like Imperial Scorpions may be considered "Uncommon" and have a price-tag of $30 USD. A rare skin might be worth $50 USD.

Many games have successfully harnessed different types of rarity mechanics with their skins that have proven to (a) be lucrative from a business stand-point for the company (b) give value to the players. When it comes to things like rarity, there's a subconscious trigger that most of us have in us that find products more compelling/valuable when they contain elements of rarity. The following games all contain rarity collecting elements: CS: GO, Warframe, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2, League of Legends, Magic The Gathering, Hearthstone, etc.

Hopefully UWE keeps this in mind as they develop their skins. There's a lot of things that can be done with rarity, aside from my above-mentioned idea, so we'll have to see what they come up with.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I expect it to be the price of the Kodiak skin because it has all the same content but a different texture.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I would probably say somewhere between $15-$25 USD for a pack like that would be reasonable.

It would also be cool if they associated rarity with each color/skin theme, so the Tundra skins might be considered "Common" rarity at a price like $20USD and then something like Imperial Scorpions may be considered "Uncommon" and have a price-tag of $30 USD. A rare skin might be worth $50 USD.

Many games have successfully harnessed different types of rarity mechanics with their skins that have proven to (a) be lucrative from a business stand-point for the company (b) give value to the players. When it comes to things like rarity, there's a subconscious trigger that most of us have in us that find products more compelling/valuable when they contain elements of rarity. The following games all contain rarity collecting elements: CS: GO, Warframe, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2, League of Legends, Magic The Gathering, Hearthstone, etc.

Hopefully UWE keeps this in mind as they develop their skins. There's a lot of things that can be done with rarity, aside from my above-mentioned idea, so we'll have to see what they come up with.
    Rarity is a good idea, but it only works if there is a drop, crafting, or stats system. You can't just arbitrarily slap a certain rarity onto a skin and price it higher than others. There needs to be a reason behind the rarity.

A drop system like TF2's would make use of rarity best if these skins were modular. This way, players can earn pieces of different skins over time and choose to wear a mix of them, buy remaining pieces to complete a set, or buy sets outright. It would be a slow, yet free, method for players to gain set pieces without having to spend money. It benefits UWE by enticing players to complete sets through purchase and by retaining players who look forward to drops. Certain sets like the Tundra and black armors could be of higher rarity, resulting in lower drop rates and higher value/demand.

This modular drop system works better as more sets are introduced. It results in less likelihood of players completing sets, forcing them to purchase in the item shop. More modular pieces also means that players are given more options to mix and match pieces, resulting in more unique combinations. The current player customization menu would synergize very well with modular pieces since players would be able to preview different combinations and know which pieces to either wait for to drop or purchase.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nominous wrote: »
    I would probably say somewhere between $15-$25 USD for a pack like that would be reasonable.

Rarity is a good idea, but it only works if there is a drop, crafting, or stats system. You can't just arbitrarily slap a certain rarity onto a skin and price it higher than others. There needs to be a reason behind the rarity.

A drop system like TF2's would make use of rarity best if these skins were modular. This way, players can earn pieces of different skins over time and choose to wear a mix of them, buy remaining pieces to complete a set, or buy sets outright. It would be a slow, yet free, method for players to gain set pieces without having to spend money. It benefits UWE by enticing players to complete sets through purchase and by retaining players who look forward to drops. Certain sets like the Tundra and black armors could be of higher rarity, resulting in lower drop rates and higher value/demand.

This modular drop system works better as more sets are introduced. It results in less likelihood of players completing sets, forcing them to purchase in the item shop. More modular pieces also means that players are given more options to mix and match pieces, resulting in more unique combinations. The current player customization menu would synergize very well with modular pieces since players would be able to preview different combinations and know which pieces to either wait for to drop or purchase.

Make sure there aren't any drops ingame.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    @Nordic the kodiak pack doesn't have a shotgun....
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

This is because you claimed the black armor skin to that account. It's treated like a game DLC with a Steam Key. Just as with any other item on Steam, once you claim something to your account, it's locked to that account. That's the way Steam works and not something we can change. That armor was a special one-time thing to help get NS2 off the ground. Without sales from that edition of the game, NS2 would not be around, and the company would not have survived.

Just to be clear, you're free to keep using your skin on your other steam account. No one has taken that away from you. It's your choice not to use it due to a name you dislike.
  • HurHurGorgeHurHurGorge Finland Join Date: 2015-12-12 Member: 209921Members
    So thats the winner. Hm, not my first choise but its OK. Not liking the "splattered" blue paint over armor but otherwise not bad. Would be nice to have somekind of ice/arctic theme map with it. Like broken station and its all cold and icey inside. Gorges would war beanies and cootton pants. B)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    I actually preordered the expensive version of this game, but then I decided to abandon that account because I hated the name that I used for it. So, I made a new account and hoped I could gift the game to myself, but just in case, I rebought the game when there was a sale. However, obviously, it was not a preorder then. So, I didn't get the exclusive black armour. That seriously annoys me. One of the main reasons that I have not played the game yet, on any account, is that I'm hoping I will be allowed to transfer my preorder copy of the game from my old abandoned account, to my new account.

By the way, I consider it very unethical to permanently punish people for not buying your product before it can be reviewed, or within a single only limited time. That kind of behaviour is seriously irritating, and can turn people away from your whole company. Such an exclusivity, should never be promised. I don't think anyone likes having parts of their games permanently locked away from them, and being treated like garbage just because they were being cautious, or didn't know about the game earlier. I'm very wary of buying anything from this company now, with manipulative business tactics like that. I made an exception for this company only because I was a very long time fan since the beginning of the mod version of Natural Selection on Half-Life 1. It's a pity that a Valve Software update broke the mod and completely killed it. I hope that this game doesn't become similarly abandoned.

Seriously?

Have some maturity, it's just a name, I hate my account name too as it is a painful reminder of my younger years and an experience which caused me to vomit in front of alot of people which you can imagine was incredibly embarrassing, however I saw the funny side to it, it's just a name, no one really cares.

You should've overlooked your "reason" a long time ago and just use that account to play with as you've undoubtedly purchased alot of games with your current account.

Hey Ho, lifes unfair isn't it.