Aim To Please Update (279) Released! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited December 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageAim To Please Update (279) Released! - Natural Selection 2

As the mighty Santa Gorge returned back to his shop and found that his elvish fades and lerks were still working feverishly. Santa Gorge asked himself, what they could possibly...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Commenting to open it up for...comments :)
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Thanks for the update!!
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    Does the FMOD now work with ALSA 1.1 now?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Aaaand live. Thanks. Looks good so far.
  • botelhoruibotelhorui Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58192Members
    Thank you Mat for the hitreg update.
    But at 50,000 bytes/sec for the 40 players servers means 2 MB/sec, how much is that increase from before?
    I hope one day I read you code :)
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Thanks for the update!
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is so good you guys have started updating this game again. I still "TRY" to play it multiple times per week (I play as BitUp). However, often I can't because there are never more than 2 or 3 North American servers with more than zero players. And these are usually full. I am not complaining about servers being full. My concern is there are never more than 2 or 3 with any players on it. Something needs to be done to bring players back into this game. Better hitregs and a Play Now button are great but both do nothing for empty servers.
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    botelhorui wrote: »
    Thank you Mat for the hitreg update.
    But at 50,000 bytes/sec for the 40 players servers means 2 MB/sec, how much is that increase from before?
    I hope one day I read you code :)
    40 player servers are non-standard.

With the official cap of 24 players that'd only be 1.14 MBytes, which is fine for any server not at home. (A lot of home connections can do that now anyways)
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    MrChoke wrote: »
    It is so good you guys have started updating this game again. I still "TRY" to play it multiple times per week (I play as BitUp). However, often I can't because there are never more than 2 or 3 North American servers with more than zero players. And these are usually full. I am not complaining about servers being full. My concern is there are never more than 2 or 3 with any players on it. Something needs to be done to bring players back into this game. Better hitregs and a Play Now button are great but both do nothing for empty servers.

Well, there could be like 3 or 4 'invisible' people per server waiting to join those servers. If they use the play-now button they could fill up a server with a playable amount of people.
  • anijatsuanijatsu Poland Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200187Members
    So does it mean that the Hive works again? I started playing recently and I haven't got any updates on my profile.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    great work .. runs like butter! thx
  • Airwolf_sweAirwolf_swe Sweden Join Date: 2013-12-15 Member: 190114Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2015
    I found the problem with the sound issue, the audio jack got unstuck a tiny bit. its weird that music and other game sounded normal though except ns2.
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    moultano wrote: »
    Please try out the "play now" button and give me feedback. If you find yourself going to the server browser instead, tell me about it and I'll tweak the ranking for the next version. :smile:

I gave it a go and was put into a nearly full server half way through a game (played the round to the end). The Play Now seemed to have worked fine.

I reckon it may be used by new players mainly, as once you have been playing for a while, you tend to select severs you play more often
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    that felling when you realise it wasn't you're aim that sucked...
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wait a minute, so there's a video. for this patch.

But the marine has a shotgun, the shotgun shoots like a rifle, developers please?
    woooooooooooooow
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    The "Play now" button is going to have problems. Using it today, I have found it spits me on an empty server 70% of the time (I tried 10 times throughout the day). It doesn't seem like enough people use this to make the "spit me on an empty server" work (by potentially populating it).

Also, one of the successes, it spit me on a server that wouldn't let me play because I had too many hours.

I think "Play now" will be fundamentally flawed due to the moddable nature of NS2. What happens if I am banned from the server it tries to put me on?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    simba wrote: »
    The "Play now" button is going to have problems. Using it today, I have found it spits me on an empty server 70% of the time (I tried 10 times throughout the day). It doesn't seem like enough people use this to make the "spit me on an empty server" work (by potentially populating it).

Also, one of the successes, it spit me on a server that wouldn't let me play because I had too many hours.

I think "Play now" will be fundamentally flawed due to the moddable nature of NS2. What happens if I am banned from the server it tries to put me on?

I've heard this "puts me on an empty server" from a couple of people now, and it sounds like a bug. It shouldn't do that if there are any plausible servers. Looking into it.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's been doing that as long as it's been a feature.
  • HurHurGorgeHurHurGorge Finland Join Date: 2015-12-12 Member: 209921Members
    Good patch. Game feels smooth and lovely. "Play Now" button is bit confusing as it is on top so I keep pressing it because "Server Browser" was top before. But I will get use to it. :)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts

Do you use ns2+? Because that's currently not compatible with "Play Now".
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    After 'play now' i got a 'missing required mod' error.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    Play now works really fine for me. But when it doesn't - Server not to my likeing like players, map or game progress - it keeps putting me on the same server I just left. How about evaluating the 3 best or so from your algorithm and then choose from those?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Play now works really fine for me. But when it doesn't - Server not to my likeing like players, map or game progress - it keeps putting me on the same server I just left. How about evaluating the 3 best or so from your algorithm and then choose from those?

We could randomize it a little so that if there is more than one candidate server you won't get the same one every time. Ultimately though, we'd like to have this be the default sorting of the server browser which would get you what you want I think.
    moultano wrote: »

I've heard this "puts me on an empty server" from a couple of people now, and it sounds like a bug. It shouldn't do that if there are any plausible servers. Looking into it.

It's probably putting me on an empty server because all other "good" servers are full. This happens a lot in NA. I don't know if that's broken. The problem is I'd rather spam refresh or manually join a 200+ ping server than wait for 20 other ppl to join the server I started seeding.
    edited December 2015

I do. Me and the rest of the ns2 community... ? This is kind of my point. It's VERY hard to implement features that will be broken due to the incredibly moddable nature of NS2. If it doesn't work with a mod that is incredibly popular, then it's not going to work. Unless the mod is official or every feature is made with mod support, which will quickly lead to an unmanageable mess.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I do. Me and the rest of the ns2 community... ? This is kind of my point. It's VERY hard to implement features that will be broken due to the incredibly moddable nature of NS2. If it doesn't work with a mod that is incredibly popular, then it's not going to work. Unless the mod is official or every feature is made with mod support, which will quickly lead to an unmanageable mess.

shhhhhh, they will never listen.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer

I updated NS2+ early today to fix this. Kind of surprised there was no followup post saying that it had already been addressed, so here I am confirming this was fixed at around 3pm CET.
  • zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
    The hitreg updates are excellent. Keep up the good work!