[TSF]::MEMO:14246::priority:low [RESPONSE REQUIRED] - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Wait a minute. As we can see on the imgur album, there are 10 different skins using the Deluxe model. So, if I got it the right way, those potential 3 most voted skins are going to be available as DLCs on Steam using the exact same model than the Deluxe edition which is already available on Steam for those who paid like 15 more $ / €. And I suppose the DLC will cost barely 5$, is that correct?

Enlighten me because I may be mistaken here. If so, it's kind of unfair. I personally also paid for having this exclusive model which is the Deluxe edition. People who bought the Deluxe armor, the Assault armor or even the Black armor did it to get an unique model AND skin.

While I really like some of those skins, I picked the ones who fit the best the NS universe , either you allow those skins to be wearable on any other models, as long as you own them, or... if you don't have any, on the regular Marine model (à la Kodiak). You can't just apply them on exclusive models, including Black, Assault or Deluxe armors even if it's far easier to make skins than making new models. My assumption would satisfy everyone though.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I'm not a big fan of the ones with too much decoration on them. For consistency sake, the decorations should be on the shoulder plates.

Then they look all good, but i would not go with the black one, simply because its a little too similar with the black armor one.

All that said, i hope the skins get implemented not as paid DLC, but as some sort of unlock. While some may then consider that to be "grindy", i think it would affect the playerbase in a more positive way than simply adding paid skins, which frankly at this point i'm not sure would make such a big difference money wise.
    This discussion is probably just as important as the one of the skin style.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Asraniel wrote: »
    All that said, i hope the skins get implemented not as paid DLC, but as some sort of unlock. While some may then consider that to be "grindy", i think it would affect the playerbase in a more positive way than simply adding paid skins, which frankly at this point i'm not sure would make such a big difference money wise.

Our first 'test' will likely be paid, but we've been discussing unlocks as well as a possibility for certain circumstances. The reason for this test is that a rather surprising amount of Skin DLC is sold compared to the full NS2 game. It's worth exploring to see if it's something the players want. If not, then we can work on unlocks sooner. This is all about experimenting using available data, trying something and see if it works. If it works great, if it doesnt work we try something else.

• ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited December 2015
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Then they look all good, but i would not go with the black one, simply because its a little too similar with the black armor one.
    I have the same opinion in this ... they look and feel TOO SIMILAR with Black Armor ...
    Insane exactly told that "The only thing that will be black is the original Special Edition black armour"

But I'm very happy about idea to have different color schemes, especially whiteish aurora and brown Desert ! ... same with last one: Tundra Storm blue style.

... found original post regarding black Deluxe armor:
    Insane wrote: »
    The new "Deluxe" armour will be green. The only thing that will be black is the original Special Edition black armour. There will eventually be an option that will let you choose which armour you want to wear.

• BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    I hope that your plan to attrack new players is not a pack of skins...
    On the high number of ns2 buyers only a few of them spent a large amount of time on it.
    Those players love the game and want the development to continue and it could explain why your skins DLC have been well sold so far.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    Man that Imperial Scorpion skin is awesome. I would buy that.

I prefer the more flashy skins. Rantology, your work is awesome!
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Amazing stuff.

(1) White dragon
    (2) Ghost
    (3) Panther
    (10) Tundra storm

are my favourites in that order.

I'm not bothered about what models are used tbh, it's the pretty colours :D

I do feel like black armor people should have a "season pass" to skins. I don't own black armor, but it does say UWE's "eternal gratitude". That can mean what ever UWE wants it to mean and it could stay as a sentiment but I'd like to see black armor people get the skins for free.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited December 2015
    ceribik wrote: »
    It's not skins having black that concerns me. It's the ones that are mostly black. For example, although skin #4 has a lot of black in it, it's also got a lot of colour in it so I don't mind. On the other hand, skin #8 is basically black armour with red highlights which is less acceptable.
    I really don't understand this.

1) It's a game, don't be so attached
    2) Limiting Rantology to 'not be too black' is crazy -- how do you define this? who's decision is it?
    3) If all black sells and it raises funds for NS2, fantastic. More development! You get to play a live game, instead of dead one!

I have black armor. Wouldn't give a flying turd if it were made available to all.

Also, fantastic work Rantology :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    What I would really like even though it would be hard to express in a mockup is a chrome-plated marine. Make that armour shiny! :smile:
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I want to replace my right arm with a robot arm so I feel like Luke Skywalker
  • HurHurGorgeHurHurGorge Finland Join Date: 2015-12-12 Member: 209921Members
    Could we get this fixed on armors? Specially when new skins an all.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2015
    I like the idea of having the models independant of the skins. I have the delux armor and the Kodiak. I was bummed when Kodiak made the armor default back to the un-delux model.

I realize that's a fair bit more work, but the models are super and the skins are super, using them with eachother would be superest.

Also, Keeping black armor exclusive is definitely a thing that should be. It's just a courtesy if nothing else. Exalting people who showed support eons ago is a thing that should stay. Every other color armor is fair game, but Black should always mean pre-ordered.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    How about giving pre-orders a black armor skin with no-helmet, and make black armor available for $7.99
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ehm maybe im a total fcknub but i cant figure out how to take another look after filling in the poll.
    Anyone?
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Frozen wrote: »
    How about giving pre-orders a black armor skin with no-helmet, and make black armor available for $7.99

Would you go into battle against aliens that bite heads off with no helmet?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only pansy marines where pansy helmets.
    @Calego I spent $40 for something I couldn't even expect to exist when I had not a lot of eating or drinking money in college. So yes :)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Really a fan of the lighter colored skins, a nice change of pace.

I don't know how possible this is now or ever, but I think it would be sweeeeeet if armor could show wear over time. As in associated with hive hours maybe. Maybe certain shoulder pads or other insignia or marks could be unlocked thru playtime as well, but I like the idea of visually distinguishing between a vet and a possible nub based on armor wear and tear as well as possibly providing new players some incentive to keep racking up the hours, as we all know it takes some time to pick up the game. Also maybe an option to keep em shiny for ppl who want to be clean.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If it's only going to available for Deluxe armor, I'm incredibly disappointed.
    Rather have you buy the skin, it's available for all armor types you own?
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    it will have marine, exosuit, weapon and set Rantology said so i gues that includes all models you buy (reinforced/normal/Deluxe) i hope
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    Martigen wrote: »
    ceribik wrote: »
    It's not skins having black that concerns me. It's the ones that are mostly black. For example, although skin #4 has a lot of black in it, it's also got a lot of colour in it so I don't mind. On the other hand, skin #8 is basically black armour with red highlights which is less acceptable.
    I really don't understand this.

1) It's a game, don't be so attached
    2) Limiting Rantology to 'not be too black' is crazy -- how do you define this? who's decision is it?
    3) If all black sells and it raises funds for NS2, fantastic. More development! You get to play a live game, instead of dead one!

I have black armor. Wouldn't give a flying turd if it were made available to all.

Also, fantastic work Rantology :)

1) What are you on about? They're asking for feedback you m***n. Do you not realise this is a feedback thread?
    2) Given the nature of the decision, the communities' I assume.
    3) As mentioned in the other threads, selling skins alone (whether black armour or not) is not going to magically back the 1000s of players lost and revitalise the game. If you think otherwise you are naive. Breaking a promise will only serve to antagonise part of the few that remain.

If I knew for sure that selling black armour would bring 1000s of players back PERMANENTLY (and to my region), I would be more willing to part (for fair compensation), but I'm not as naive like you.
    @ceribik The more money that this development team can generate off of whatever community there is will only help us towards other things that will attract and maintain new players. Foo.

Not to speak for her, but I don't think @rantology has any focus on what you're talking about. I think she's more of an art director? (Sorry if you have da mad programming skills too) And designing and making skins available ASAP is a pretty damn good use of her time in that case cause $. Which I'd think is why she looks to have this prioritized. Short term manageable goal plenty of people are excited about.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that it's pretty much set in stone that we're getting sold texture swaps instead of being able to customize armor configurations and buy color/camo like Warframe does instead.

Who says? at the moment the game/menu etc dont support that type of system, but that doesnt mean we arent looking at changing that. It just takes time :)

Then wouldn't releasing these skins now be counter productive to said potential change? Kodiak armor gets away with it be being similar to the default colors but with the green lights which would need to be given out to the dlc owners so they don't lose anything in the transition. If for example Enforcer goes in, and you opt to a system where you can change unlocked/purchased colors to any armor piece then you would also have to give out the black armor color to everyone as well, which would kill the point of many people who opted in to support the Alpha.

Warframe has it set up where the skin patterns aren't bundled with any specific colors, so you could possibly have a Red Tundra pattern if you wanted since you would have purchased said armor pattern and color to meet that combination requirement, which I think would be a perfect system to support these types of skins. If it gets developed like that of course.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i trust experimentation into the future of ns2 isnt slowed down for 1 second by the overstated rights of black armor owners.

How much gametime you expect for $45, broke or not?
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2015
    CCTEE wrote: »
    i trust experimentation into the future of ns2 isnt slowed down for 1 second by the overstated rights of black armour/armor owners.

You're also forgetting the numerous people who also supported through other means such as constellation program prior to black armour/armor from 2003-2010/11? the people who funded development for the original versions of NS2 before it was even released officially and gave Flayra enough money to blow it on pizza and milk parties.

Skins aren't going to magically bring players to the game, it will just help fund UWE more from the current playerbase and from sales that make for people who buy "DLC packs" maybe in the future when a system is implemented such as Free to play it'll make a difference, but then you won't even need to have black armour/armor.

They said it was never coming back, it was a one time sales thing and alot of people purchased it to support UWE alot just chose that version because it was never coming back, please don't ruin it for others, some people are trying to be entitled or trying so hard to get something that was limited edition. :( i feel sad for people that want it though, my gf nags me about it constantly haha.
    I'll gladly take constellation armor
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    nizb0ag wrote: »
    CCTEE wrote: »
    i trust experimentation into the future of ns2 isnt slowed down for 1 second by the overstated rights of black armour/armor owners.

You're also forgetting the numerous people who also supported through other means such as constellation program prior to black armour/armor from 2003-2010/11? the people who funded development for the original versions of NS2 before it was even released officially and gave Flayra enough money to blow it on pizza and milk parties.

Skins aren't going to magically bring players to the game, it will just help fund UWE more from the current playerbase and from sales that make for people who buy "DLC packs" maybe in the future when a system is implemented such as Free to play it'll make a difference, but then you won't even need to have black armour/armor.

They said it was never coming back, it was a one time sales thing and alot of people purchased it to support UWE alot just chose that version because it was never coming back, please don't ruin it for others, some people are trying to be entitled or trying so hard to get something that was limited edition. :( i feel sad for people that want it though, my gf nags me about it constantly haha.

I understand the concerns of people that have it (I don't want anyone else to have it!) - but there's also other people that never had the chance to get it in the first place. Not sure if you have heard people say they are never going to make this available again, but then they open the vault so to speak to allow for new people to get something. Just because you got it at one point years ago, that means no one else should ever be able to get it? Things go on sale all the time, things change. You could just as easily not be playing the game anymore, but you are. It's just a skin, you got what you paid for.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    @SamusDroid Yes I read that and it doesn't make what I said irrelevant, plus it's on topic to what wasabi was saying earlier.