[TSF]::MEMO:14246::priority:low [RESPONSE REQUIRED] - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited December 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

image[TSF]::MEMO:14246::priority:low [RESPONSE REQUIRED] - Natural Selection 2

!!–ATTENTION TSF SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN–!! [START][MEMO:14246::priority:low] Due to an unexpected error in manufacturing our latest deployment of [TSF::COMBAT:ARMOR::batch:9934] we are unable to import the standard issue TSF template. One of...

Read the full story here

Comments

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • Gooch123Gooch123 UK Join Date: 2015-07-15 Member: 206167Members
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2015
    Eh, do you need to choose that as the base model? some nice choiced, first one really has no baring on the game though, it's more out of place then anything. Some nice choices though.

I was wondering if you could use something like male_eliteassault instead? shouldn't be too much to offer it on more then one base model
  • Gooch123Gooch123 UK Join Date: 2015-07-15 Member: 206167Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    The elite assault model shouldn't be used again, people paid $75 for that skin. I already mentioned I didn't like that model either, but they decided to use that model. I suggested using the regular assault skin.

They're using the deluxe edition model aren't they?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Gooch123 wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    The elite assault model shouldn't be used again, people paid $75 for that skin. I already mentioned I didn't like that model either, but they decided to use that model. I suggested using the regular assault skin.

They're using the deluxe edition model aren't they?

Yes they are, someone suggested using the elite assault skin
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I posted in the NS2 news thread about them, but here it is in the dedicated thread.
    rantology I really like those new additions. I think the Tundra Storm one is a better approach to having more variety in a skin, having two tone armour allows you to put patterns on it without having extravagant pieces of art that distract from the model.

Certainly prefer having some lighter skin options; white dragon, aurora and tundra storm. They're different to everything marines currently have on offer which are all fairly dark skins. Hope one of those comes along first :p

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I get irrational emotions flowing through me when I see the black armored skins at the top of the poll..
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Hmm.. I wonder how many ingame will note the vote.
    Still nice. ^^
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    My favorite is 7.
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I get irrational emotions flowing through me when I see the black armored skins at the top of the poll..

Exactly what I was thinking. I hope UWE isn't going back on their word.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    yeah the enforcer is a bit overkill of the black marine skin i recommend not to use it
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You know what, you could create a page with an unrealisticly huge sales goal. Add some perks with badges. Talk about continued development and food and power and keeping things running. You don't need to believe in it yourself, you can even sell information of your next project you work on already as another perk. Then blow the the income in a tournament that is useless for 99% of the players. A few months later when everyone's milked you can pull the plug and shift work to some other community members. Oh wait didn't that already happen?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Wooo Tundra matches my nameeeee. Fuck Tupacccc
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015
    @_INTER_ I know you are aware as you posted in this same thread, but just to reiterate : None of the reinforced money was spent on tournaments or SN etc. as the cost of Reinforced was what the goal was set to recover in donations, after sooo many community members asked for a way to donate.
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    they look cool and all, but does that really fit TSF and ns2 at all??
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2015
    How long do these skins take to make Rantology? just curious as to how your workflow is laid out, what is the process you're doing to create these skins? because from what i remember correctly you helped work on the kodiak update which did bring in some interesting artwork and i don't believe that added to the cost of the release of kodiak or made even a small dent/impact on it which weeds out your part in it. But the textures/artwork looked great, which brings up something someone else has asked me to ask you, did you layer by layer and then do a level shift on the colors then add in military pattern? and also with the logo textures did you have a reference for them or did you do it from scratch?
  • lndlnd tn Join Date: 2015-10-31 Member: 208874Members
    Sad that I can only choose 3. They all look super good! Especially love pegasus, it's got a Roman vibe to it!
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @IronHorse I don't know. Wasn't very confincing that they really tried. I mean apart from the mappers. The rest was probably more and more focusing on shiny new SN.
    Maybe I'm still unconsiously pissed that the patches before Reinforced there was the most fun in NS2. I can't shake the feeling that the changes introduced then killed a major part of NS2. In addition ever since Reinforced / Eclipse I'm down to playing at around 12 fps at times.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015
    ceribik wrote: »

The Special Ops Marine will forever stay special and unique and wont be offered again. It must be iterated that it is not just a skin. That is a unique model and skin.

However, if people want a skin on a marine model that happens to have black on it in that vote, the people can decide.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's hard not throwing a temper tantrum when it comes to bringing up selling black armor again, I really just wanted to be able to have the black armor status while using the other armors. Since I supported the $40 special edition pre-order when ns2 was just an idea and bought the $75 shadow tier as well. Being able to show the $115 armor combination of black elite assault would've been a wonderful treat.

On top of that, "Special all black marine armor whenever you play online" being limited to one skin after the fact was an annoying bait and switch on the matter.
    tYh7nRt.png

It's unfortunate that it's pretty much set in stone that we're getting sold texture swaps instead of being able to customize armor configurations and buy color/camo like Warframe does instead.
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    Obraxis wrote: »
    ceribik wrote: »

The Special Ops Marine will forever stay special and unique and wont be offered again. It must be iterated that it is not just a skin. That is a unique model and skin.

However, if people want a skin on a marine model that happens to have black on it in that vote, the people can decide.

It's not skins having black that concerns me. It's the ones that are mostly black. For example, although skin #4 has a lot of black in it, it's also got a lot of colour in it so I don't mind. On the other hand, skin #8 is basically black armour with red highlights which is less acceptable.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It's unfortunate that it's pretty much set in stone that we're getting sold texture swaps instead of being able to customize armor configurations and buy color/camo like Warframe does instead.

Who says? at the moment the game/menu etc dont support that type of system, but that doesnt mean we arent looking at changing that. It just takes time :)
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm getting some Tribes 2 vibes from a lot of these skins. Cool stuff.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015
    It's hard not throwing a temper tantrum when it comes to bringing up selling black armor again, I really just wanted to be able to have the black armor status while using the other armors. Since I supported the $40 special edition pre-order when ns2 was just an idea and bought the $75 shadow tier as well. Being able to show the $115 armor combination of black elite assault would've been a wonderful treat.

On top of that, "Special all black marine armor whenever you play online" being limited to one skin after the fact was an annoying bait and switch on the matter.
    tYh7nRt.png

There's a good reason I didn't include changing visor, eye, chest colors, and it's due to how the models are done, and I've been aware and wanting to do that for a long time. It still requires the new skin system and texture changes because the emmisive properties are blended into the diffuse textures. I don't know if the PDT have people who know enough about 3DS max to do such thing. It would be a significant amount of work, more than creating a few new skins.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    To be honest... I like nearly all of them... deciding between the first 5 is very difficult for me... and there are 2 of the latter 5 that I like a lot too... so picking 3 our of the 7 I want to see in game is well... difficult :P
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Tell black armor owner's to stfu, give them a replacement minor cosmetic addition exclusive, then sell it for $50.

(I own black armor)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    rantology wrote: »
    For the sake of avoiding controversy and because there is so much room to explore, we probably won't do a black themed skin for this one. It's not off the table, but at least we can push the argument to a future date. =P

Will each of these marine skins include a short backstory with them? :smiley: e.g. Imperial Scorpions were formed during the retaking of Veil, however the Kharaa menace pushed them back with a newly evolved trait, some type of poison Skulks have been able to use similar to that of a Pandinus imperator.

They take their name in honor of their fallen comrades who succumb to this agonizing death!