Should the story continue in space after you are rescued (If you are)

Comments

• anuahhaheeanuahhahee POLAND Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208456Members
    YES.
    But lets leave that to Subnautica 2 ;-)
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    No rescue.

There's that irritating little detail of a ship-destroying energy pulse.

Unless The Survivor can find a way of communicating with the planet's sentients, every rescue ship that's sent will be blown out of the sky.
    Given the base chances of survival, he/she might end up living in something resembling a modest Terran community in about 150 years or so.
  • oliveking7575oliveking7575 atlanta, georgia, usa Join Date: 2015-12-10 Member: 209870Members
    Zundy wrote: »
    I like the idea of a possible ending you can pursue. It's either that or continually add new content to keep it fresh. I mean, there will come a point where there is nothing left to build/explore without going over old ground (oh look, another cave filled with glowing mushrooms and gold which I no longer need...etc).

Exactly!
  • oliveking7575oliveking7575 atlanta, georgia, usa Join Date: 2015-12-10 Member: 209870Members
    theodoulos wrote: »
    Here is an alternate idea: your main purpose is to prepare for colonization, but you have two natural problems from the storyline so far: you dont have the manpower (marooned by yourself), and the main equipment for colonization was destroyed in the Aurora. So perhaps you send a signal not to be rescued, but for the extra equipment (and perhaps manpower i.e. multiplayer) to do what you came to do. Just shooting out an idea. Problem with this idea is how to take into consideration the energy field. Perhaps thats a goal to set for?

Again, I agree completely. And the multiplayer can now be explained!
  • emersonmarshallemersonmarshall Brazil Join Date: 2015-12-18 Member: 210064Members
    I agree perfectly. There must be a rescue. That would be the ultimate goal. Maybe find an artifact that could build a machine that he could communicate or send a signal and so another ship come get him. However, it should be worked with a cutscene and not just write you are rescued and finish the game. "Just remember Cast Away movie. The purpose of the Castaway was to return to his beloved. The picture of her kept him alive, as well as orders the mail to be delivered. the ship would be arriving a beautiful scene and being able to see a friendly face again. for those who do not want to be rescued just do not make the machine and continue their life at sea.
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    theodoulos wrote: »
    Here is an alternate idea: your main purpose is to prepare for colonization, but you have two natural problems from the storyline so far: you dont have the manpower (marooned by yourself), and the main equipment for colonization was destroyed in the Aurora. So perhaps you send a signal not to be rescued, but for the extra equipment (and perhaps manpower i.e. multiplayer) to do what you came to do. Just shooting out an idea. Problem with this idea is how to take into consideration the energy field. Perhaps thats a goal to set for?

Again, I agree completely. And the multiplayer can now be explained!

Good talk here, I agree completely, this would be a great plot twist for those who don't know!!! :)
  • nihilis3nihilis3 U.S Join Date: 2015-12-21 Member: 210146Members
    edited December 2015
    I feel that yes there should be a rescue. Simply because it us a job after the planet is ready for colonization there is no reason for is to stay, now that said space is a lot like being underwater so devs won't have to change gameplay too much. Or they can have you go back and forth between space, (with new materials, gear, and monsters.) And the current planet where new disasters and such crop up.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited December 2015
    We don't even know the first draft of the story and people are discussing end-plot.

What if the mission was supposed to crash or any other freaky twist?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The story should end with interaction of the intelligent species on Subnautica somewhere in the deep below 1000m.

Subnautica 2 should continue to go even deeper to the planet core.

I don't need another space adventure.
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    I think the game should end shortly after the other ships get there. If I want to play a game about being in a spaceship, I'll find another game. subnautica is about bein' in da ocean.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Why would it continue in space?

This is Subnautica, not Spacenautica.
  • QuillShotQuillShot Sweden Join Date: 2015-12-29 Member: 210565Members
    I disagree to what people say about the game not having and shouldn't have a story. I just think that perhaps the story should be more set on exploring the planet, maybe finding other survivors or having to fight/kill/get rid of a huge beast of some kind. It is a diving game as the name suggests, its not a space exploring game.
  • j1r2000j1r2000 canada Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207813Members
    edited January 2016
    i think that we shude complete the terraforming mission

edit wtf i clicked there should not be a rescue
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    QuillShot wrote: »
    I disagree to what people say about the game not having and shouldn't have a story.
    The game should have a story, just not one that ends up with us being rescued.
  • NotAnNSASpyNotAnNSASpy UK Join Date: 2015-12-14 Member: 209978Members
    P We should find out what caused the "mysterious energy pulse" and see too it that no one else falls prey to it. I say that rescue is optional but if chosen it could allow a team to explore the planet with you. This way when the game ends you can still explore to your hearts content.
  • austinezaaustineza Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213460Members
    They should make it so eventually the rescue team does come (at the very end) but don't have enough resources to travel through space back to earth. So you have to collect resources to go to space. (Make the resources difficult to get, make it so you can only find some of these resources in different dimensions). When you are able to travel through space and go back to earth, the earth was destroyed by an astroid so you can't go back to earth anymore. So the rescue team and you decide to live on the subnautica planet. And you have to build a huge landing pad for the spaceship to land on that you tried to travel in to earth. And once it is built they stay on the subnautica planet. (That way you can still play the subnautica game because if the rescue team rescued you and took you away, subnautica would be over if they left it and not be as fun and you would lose all the stuff you built in subnautica if they took you away).
  • Dracon1023Dracon1023 Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212724Members
    The story so far is that the Aurora was hit by a mysterious energy beam that caused it to crash. Chances are it was caused by past survivors of a crash. My theory is based on the abandon seabases and a PDA log entry found in one such base. The entry mentions how one of the survivors is going a bit crazy. This is my current prediction for the story based on clues so far:

Stranded you start to build bases, gather resources and survive. While exploring you manage to find traces of past survivors, and clues as to why the Aurora crashed. You manage to send a SOS signal back to Earth, where they then decide to send another colonization ship. Near the ships arrival you showdown with the crazy survivor of the past wreck and manage to redirect the energy beam right before it hits the new ship. The day is saved, the crazy survivor is arrested, and human colonization begins.

I am not saying this is how the story should be, this is just my prediction based on current context clues I have found in-game, on the wikia, and on trello. In this scenario you are not taken off the planet but continue your original mission, to colonize the planet.
  • viron6viron6 USA Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214360Members
    I was considering that there would be a rescue and a new saga would begin. Possible with a return to the ocean world as a multiplayer.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    I don't know what is planned for the story-line. BUT when i've started to think about this, and observed the big hole in the Aurora's bow...

Just imagine you manage your way to scan a long range radio, then you build it at a high place. Few days after, you return to the Radio. Now a message being played constantly << Aurora, your signal have been lost since xx days, Aurora, can you respond ? We need coordinates. >>

Now you have received a clear message.

A long time after, maybe a message could be catched directly by your PDA (a rescue ship is in orbit)
    << We're de-orbiting, see you in 3 days ! >>

After that you know you are barely out of this savage planet. In a few month you'll head out of cryogenic chambers and take a good drink on the mining outpost.

Day after day, night after night you see the rescue ship passing in the sky like a metalic moon.

A message from the rescue team, Cap'tain.
    << We're approaching, Aurora's area is our land point. >>

The communication ended, you head to the surface, there is an old outpost you've built on the shallows, covered by all sort of barnacles. Now the rescue team is coming, you can barely ear the sound of the reactors or is it just your mind ?

<< Aurora, there is a weird signal. Is that you ? >> Suddenly, the water carry a dull sound, an earth-quake and a green flash come Through the surface. The little rescue ship is now a wreck, making a beautiful rain star. Now you know how the Aurora have ended here.
  • NinthGuardianNinthGuardian Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214405Members
    Simple Compromise: Have the story lead up to all three opitions by simply making a condition in which being rescued = revealing something about why the ship was shot down and where the player may want to keep the secret. OR if you you choose to go the path of getting rescued you can go into space ( maybe no more than a tease for a future game) or simply make contact and remain on the planet, but secure in knowing others know where you are and the situation.
  • 5Raptorboy5Raptorboy Join Date: 2015-05-29 Member: 205021Members
    If you've looked at the trello, there's a card about the ending of the game, which will be flying away from the planet.
  • AquaFleetAquaFleet Eulophia Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214436Members
    No I don't think he should be rescued But yes there is a butt I think there should be atleast low orbit in the game and cool submersibles that can jump out of the water and flying stuff that would be amazing.
  • xXDogeLordXxxXDogeLordXx Doge bed Join Date: 2015-08-03 Member: 206713Members
    Yes because I wanna see the sea emporer in action cause were gonna free him (I hope)
    pls.
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    could be a great way to introduce multiplayer.
  • camsourcamsour United States Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214669Members
    I don't think there should be a rescue because the game is call Subnautica. The player is introduced to this wonderful beautiful landscape full of amazing creatures, and that would all be taken away if there was a rescue. You would be stuck on a ship if the game continued, or lose all the progress from ending. Instead I think maybe the player can rescue people such as a recruiting type of thing where you recruit people who also fled the Aurora when it crashed, and start an underwater colony but just have people doing things and send them to collect or build. That way you don't have to spend hours looking for resources that should be everywhere, and it would give the player something to look forward to after they get the messages from the relay for a rescue, but they have to track people down and maybe even save people from creatures. It should be difficult for the player so the game doesn't just become where you send people to do everything and just sit back you should have to trade with them and/or help or even multiplayer would be a good edition because being alone in a giant ocean just seems scary the thought of no one else but that's just my idea.
  • FlammaRilvaFlammaRilva Taiwan Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214633Members
    In fact I want to see rescue come and been shot down by same reason.
    According the log and the analysis of Aurora debris,there is something periodly shoots spaceship down.

So there will be dramatic if hope become hopeless.
  • Dracono11Dracono11 USA Join Date: 2016-06-02 Member: 218001Members
    edited June 2016
    I Think The story should have you get rescued but makes it as a optional in the survival game start as a Yes or No.
  • Dracono11Dracono11 USA Join Date: 2016-06-02 Member: 218001Members
    There should be a rescue option at the start where you have to find a Rare C.O.Ms device to start a rescue countdown but when the rescue arrives it comes down and ass you leave gets knocked into the ocean starting a Battle with a Sea Dragon and The Sea Emperor after the battle you can repair the drop ship and leave or stay by option but afterwards you can introduce multiplayer into the game. :)maxresdefault.jpg
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I don't really think a rescue is necessary. The option to be rescued, definitely, but also the option to to stay and train new colonists and the like would be equally satisfying as an ending to me. Given we are at the end of the development cycle (I mean the game is supposed to launch in two months time...) I don't think that extra content would be viable unless they went for a cutscene to wrap it up or go for Subnautica 2.0 in a similar pattern Terraria did with hardmode then post-hardmode stuff. I'd imagine a game like Subnautica would be many times more difficult to do that sort of thing with though.

So... I think you should have a reason to be rescued. Of course the devs have a story that they haven't unleashed on us yet and I'm sure that will change literally everything about this question.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Part of me would kindof like to see a Subnautica 2.0 set on another world... part of me also wants a military grade exosuit laser to use in disputes with other companies. Of course, the thing would have to be plot bounded (wouldn't want the player having the laser during normal gameplay)... but maybe I'm being silly.

I'd probably rather have an expanded subnautica ;) With a persistent survival mode (storms etc.) It might be neat to have a few other crew members to keep alive though...