Let's try something new - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageLet's try something new - Natural Selection 2

Unknown Worlds is getting back in to Natural Selection development. We have hired a small group of community members to reform an in-house development team. We are going to try...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to wake up the forum bot
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Well, that's a turn around from certain open letter. :*
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    edited November 2015
    Great news! Glad that the community mainteners got a job at unknown worlds they really earned it.
    PS: Subnautica is getting awesome.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I am a long-time NS2 fan who only plays NS2 casually anymore for various reasons. I understand that NS2 has been a "niche" game with a high learning curve from the beginning, but I hope consideration is being made to cater to casual players more directly in the future. /mytwocents
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2015
    with all the love to ns1 and ns2, as long as the game will still be so quick and unforgiven, it's useless to try to bring it back to the customers/gamers. Anyone who doesn't love the game like we here do (for all the personal reasons we have) will just quit and uninstall after a single encounter with a pro lerk or fade.

edit. i'll say more. it's so f**ing nice that the game is made by gamers now, with help of the community, and that even before you always listened to our ideas and requests. But that at the end has been the worst problem at all. it's a game made by gamers, not FOR gamers. Only for a really little circle of them.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Racer1 @Cico I think you are both hitting the nail on the head as for some of the design goals going forward.

Nothing concrete yet because there just isn't anything decided, but the team definitely shares both your viewpoints.
  • SteamCheeseSteamCheese Ohio Join Date: 2013-12-20 Member: 190335Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I shall remain skeptically optimistic.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members

+1 first post.

I sense a F2P coming?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

+1 first post.

I sense a F2P coming?

Over my dead body. That's like the nuclear option. We'll exhaust all other options first.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    NS2 requires first and foremost a way to gauge player ability (current system of team based ELO is grossly insufficient)
    I realize running stats is difficult.
    After this, we need to have play zones online for new players, where they can play with similarly skilled players at least for the first couple hundred hours (free of skilled players who ultimately rape the inexperienced to feel better about themselves).
    Think RTS or MOBA online matchmaking.

Now, if we can develop models for the two above requirements, we then have to saturate the player base.
    Since we've gone through at least 5 waves of new players (alpha ~= 179, beta, release, sales, humble bundles, etc), it will be hard to draw in a sizable new body of players.
    So that will be hard, but do-able.

So it's nice that you guys most likely hired a few people that I'm assuming are elitist competitive players, who are most likely arrogantly detached from pub play, but you are most likely going to make the same mistakes again.

The gameplay does not need to be tweaked to the ideal of some competitive player's wet dream, the issue is the conditioning and experience of new players to the community.

Coming from someone who was in the competitive scene, but grew detached because of dev behaviour and relations with the community workers.

The game is great, and unique, and is not the hit it should be, there are so many reasons for this, all ignored.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    edited November 2015
    Well good luck, i hope the time limit of 3 months will be enough.

This game forgot his RTS part a long time ago and i really hope you can bring it back. I think this is the main reason of why low slot server are unpopular : the current meta is rigid, and games are heavly dictacted by individual skill . In the mean time the skill gap between com is close to inexistant (very few build orders).
    As for making this game easier or more "casual" it may be a risk worth taking, whith a player base that low, but then I don't understand why you made it harder with the balancemod (wich made a LOT of player i know leave the game)

And by the way @Kalabalana the people they hired are not "elitist competitive players", at all.

• Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't try to redo everything yet again. I was actually happy when subnautica was announced because I knew there wouldn't be any major rewrites of the entire meta design or alien gameplay design anymore, just the tweaks people want.

There are games that have lasted for a decade without doing those major rewrites. Don't break what works just to spend months to get it back up to speed again.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    So it's nice that you guys most likely hired a few people that I'm assuming are elitist competitive players, who are most likely arrogantly detached from pub play

I laughed so much at this I snorted a little.
    It's a well know fact @Obraxis is the most elitist of all people I've ever met. He once forced us all have tea and biscuits before we were allowed to start a PlayTest, everyone knows I prefer milk and chocolate chip :cookie:

magic cookies
  • appLEjuiceappLEjuice Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160926Members
    Yes, I want to throttle you!

Someone explain me; what does that mean? :3
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    appLEjuice wrote: »

It could mean good things, or bad things. But definitely ask permission before trying it on someone :)
  • zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
    Omg its gonna be HUGE. Like onos with miniguns and flamethrowers coming out their ass. Or shotguns with pulse lasers and grenade launchers stuck together. Or like arcs marines can ride that oneshot any alien. Or nukes from orbit. Or onos xenocide that destroys half the map. Or double fist exos. HUGE.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    YES! my wish of exo boxing will finally come true!
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited November 2015
    I'm still waiting when you guys and UW realise that you are trying to do an OpenSource project without actually opening the source.
    I've updated the article to include Sebastian's new blog post: http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/community-focused-development/
  • appLEjuiceappLEjuice Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160926Members
    Hugh wrote: »
    appLEjuice wrote: »

It could mean good things, or bad things. But definitely ask permission before trying it on someone :)

Hmm, with the risk of you having some pervy things in mind... Can I throttle you? :3
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Lamb wrote: »
    You talk about what the community deserves & how your dedication to the games development will hopefully suffice, yet the one thing that's never been done throughout the years is actually listening to the feedback from the community.

That's why you shouldn't hire PR people to be a direct contact between you and your consumers, you should be contacting your consumers directly. Use your PR for advertising, marketing, blog posts, news posts etc. Especially when there was an already existing community that had 10 years under its belt to throw that all away for people that had no vision of the past is something that can't be changed.

On that thought
    It's like watching a leader and members of the playtest team doing there PR because they're not actually doing anything other then being told to test specific things for free in-game badges and a groupie mentality which always had existed from NS>NS2, but less meaningful in NS2. You ever seen someone who was friendly before turn into a real asshole because they think it's there duty to mimic an opinion of a group which doesn't have the communities best interests at hand? They're like a flock of birds you even see it on these forums in regards to agree/disagree/awesome, they do it for the fear they'll lose imaginary points that no one other then them and there groupie friends care about. If you disagree with a point or genuinely prove them wrong or point out future projects that are already underway by CDT/UWE they get passive aggressive in a manor which you feel like you've done something wrong by sharing information they don't have or do have but think they're the only ones who have it.

It goes through all the levels Lamb, it's hilarious to think that all arguments that happen on forums never make way to actual servers, most of the people arguing on the forums for features and complaining about things hardly even play the game on there main accounts, or hardly play on public servers. That's why it's so screwed because UWE doesn't directly interact with people anymore, that was the golden time of gaming.

Long live NS.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    nizb0ag wrote: »
    Lamb wrote: »
    You talk about what the community deserves & how your dedication to the games development will hopefully suffice, yet the one thing that's never been done throughout the years is actually listening to the feedback from the community.

That's why you shouldn't hire PR people to be a direct contact between you and your consumers, you should be contacting your consumers directly. Use your PR for advertising, marketing, blog posts, news posts etc. Especially when there was an already existing community that had 10 years under its belt to throw that all away for people that had no vision of the past is something that can't be changed.

On that thought
    It's like watching a leader and members of the playtest team doing there PR because they're not actually doing anything other then being told to test specific things for free in-game badges and a groupie mentality which always had existed from NS>NS2, but less meaningful in NS2. You ever seen someone who was friendly before turn into a real asshole because they think it's there duty to mimic an opinion of a group which doesn't have the communities best interests at hand? They're like a flock of birds you even see it on these forums in regards to agree/disagree/awesome, they do it for the fear they'll lose imaginary points that no one other then them and there groupie friends care about. If you disagree with a point or genuinely prove them wrong or point out future projects that are already underway by CDT/UWE they get passive aggressive in a manor which you feel like you've done something wrong by sharing information they don't have or do have but think they're the only ones who have it.

It goes through all the levels Lamb, it's hilarious to think that all arguments that happen on forums never make way to actual servers, most of the people arguing on the forums for features and complaining about things hardly even play the game on there main accounts, or hardly play on public servers. That's why it's so screwed because UWE doesn't directly interact with people anymore, that was the golden time of gaming.

Long live NS.

Someones angry they didnt get their groupie badge :smiley:
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Wow. I don't think UWE predicted that sh**storm...
    Damn... some people are more angry than me.
    That's supposed to be me, dammit.
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    "We are going to try some crazy stuff."

Well, then rebuild it in a better gaming engine, make more content, make it better looking and performing, and finally, don't tell us until it's almost done.