Natural Selection 2 & Windows XP - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNatural Selection 2 & Windows XP - Natural Selection 2

Today the Community Development Team became aware that Natural Selection 2 no longer runs on Windows XP. This was not an intentional development, but it is a development that will...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Windows 10 is really good guys.
  • GaidinTSGaidinTS Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19319Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can also play it quite well on Linux, if you are adamant about not buying a new version of windows.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It puzzles me, if you can afford hardware that can run NS2, surely you can afford a new O.S. or even consider a linux distro which is FREE and has a fair bit of support behind it. No excuse to be using Win XP anymore to be frank.
  • coinecoine Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58631Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Think about this, Windows XP is 14 years old. 14 years before Windows XP was the latest Windows version 2.03. I agree with SantaClaws that Windows 10 is really good.
  • NaRcONaRcO Madrid Join Date: 2005-03-07 Member: 44219Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    It puzzles me, if you can afford hardware that can run NS2, surely you can afford a new O.S. or even consider a linux distro which is FREE and has a fair bit of support behind it. No excuse to be using Win XP anymore to be frank.

I'll be your uncle Bob here and I'm with Frank on this one...
  • antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited October 2015
    OpenGL supports Windows XP, right? On nVidia and AMD sites it is mentioned with the OpenGL 4.x.

What's the problem with using that?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Windows 10 is really good guys.

Really good is a bit of an overstatement. I still have few nits to pick about it (auto update for example), but yeah overall it's a good operating system.
  • firepowerfirepower Join Date: 2011-02-01 Member: 79839Members
    edited October 2015
    I just installed win10 yesterday from win7, latest nvidia drivers cause crashing a few minutes into games, rolled back to windows default nvidia drivers and worked fine.
    Also be aware installing extra languages uses win key and space bar to change languages, if you press those your bind go crazy, i also removed languages. lol.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    GaidinTS wrote: »
    You can also play it quite well on Linux, if you are adamant about not buying a new version of windows.

Well, if you already own a legal version of 7,8 or 8.1, technically 10 comes without you having to pay for it, whether you want it or not...
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

Well, if you already own a legal version of 7,8 or 8.1, technically 10 comes without you having to pay for it, whether you want it or not...
    It is not a requirement to have a legal version of those windows. Microsoft explicitly said pirated versions get windows 10 for free as well.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    firepower wrote: »
    I just installed win10 yesterday from win7, latest nvidia drivers cause crashing a few minutes into games, rolled back to windows default nvidia drivers and worked fine.
    Also be aware installing extra languages uses win key and space bar to change languages, if you press those your bind go crazy, i also removed languages. lol.

Lmao I'll occasionally have no idea what's going on because I accidentally switch to azerty. That was happening to me with Windows 8.1 as well anyway though.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts

It is not a requirement to have a legal version of those windows. Microsoft explicitly said pirated versions get windows 10 for free as well.

Yea but you can get a genuine version for $15 bucks easily.. so it's not really worth risking the pirated versions that may or may not come with malicious stuff embedded at the OS level when it's at that price.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited October 2015
    Recently, I have noticed that several players of NS2 appear simultaneously on different servers, whilst doing different functions such as commanding and being the top player on a particular team.

*Snip* If you don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself. -Decoy
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Recently, I have noticed that several players of NS2 appear simultaneously on different servers, whilst doing different functions such as commanding and being the top player on a particular team.

You know that people can use the same text name in game, right?
  • KillerWhiteKillerWhite Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58253Members
    Or you could just install Linux. LinuxMint is the simplest stable distro I've come across and NS2 runs nicely on it.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    So when do we get DX12!?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    So when do we get DX12!?

Best joke 2015.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Perfectly logical step, XP should be a thing of the past by now (support&security considerations)... Even though I'm working and playing on jessie, I applaud your decision!
    Also, @Yojimbo is copulating with goats! (he'd like you to believe it's only on weekends, but don't be fooled)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Perfectly logical step, XP should be a thing of the past by now (support&security considerations)... Even though I'm working and playing on jessie, I applaud your decision!
    Also, @Yojimbo is copulating with goats! (he'd like you to believe it's only on weekends, but don't be fooled)

I can neither confirm nor deny this.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

Yeah? Read that announcement from Microsoft again, only people who signed up to the offer they had for a period of about 3 months 2 years ago with illegal versions get upgraded.

I know of many people who have tried to upgrade from 'Activated' fake win 7 but it fails to upgrade because the machine doesn't pass the windows genuine check built into the win10 upgrade. The install rolls back, and their win 7 install is still running as genuine, but they cannot upgrade.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    So when do we get DX12!?

As soon as I get this damn time machine working! Wouldn't that be neat? You'd like work for a month on ns2, then just take the update back in time. Sure, you'd probably age horribly, but everyone else would just be seeing ns2 updates every day!

In all seriousness though... not going to happen any time soon. Probably won't happen period, unless some really talented individual comes along with a vast knowledge of render engines and is willing to work for free. There's not a lot of those types of people floating around out there.
  • antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2015
    devel wrote: »
    OpenGL supports Windows XP, right? On nVidia and AMD sites it is mentioned with the OpenGL 4.x.

What's the problem with using that?

no one should really be using XP anymore... much less for gaming. According to steam oct 2015 survey only 2.26% of steam users run Windows XP 32 bit
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    no one should really be using XP anymore... much less for gaming. According to steam oct 2015 survey only 2.26% of steam users run Windows XP 32 bit

I don't care. I just was seeking clarification about a narrow technical question related to the compiler and 3D API unification. And I've got the answer: they are not doing it.