In-game map of some sort would be nice

FearlessWolfFearlessWolf United States Join Date: 2015-08-29 Member: 207573Members
So I've been thinking about how easy it is to get lost in the world of Subnautica if you are out looking for something. I then thought that a map item or HUD module would be nice. If it was a HUD module it would require something like the compass HUD module and an advanced wiring kit. If it was an item, probably something like 1x Glass, 1x Advanced Wiring Kit, and 1x Battery and would look something similar to the PDA that shows the inventory and blueprints.

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I like this idea. I have the simple biome map downloaded from the web which gives me an idea of where to find certain biomes.

However, if we are to have an in game map I think it needs to have areas where the player has not been, fogged out.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    what abot you're mapping the world by you're self using the sonar on the seamoth?
    lussebull wrote: »
    what abot you're mapping the world by you're self using the sonar on the seamoth?

Good idea! :smiley:
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    Or maybe some other device. Don't suppose we could make a GPS?
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    Marut wrote: »
    Or maybe some other device. Don't suppose we could make a GPS?

Well we wouldn't have a GPS per say, but you can have something pretty much the exact same thing. Which would involve a few transmitters in your base/s which your device would automatically triangulate. Resulting in a position it can give you based on how it measured the the distance from each transmitter.
    But downside there a problem we are underwater most of the time, and water is really really good at stopping radiation. Thus why uranium rods go into pools and submarines can't transmit data very well if at all under tactical depth (about 50 meters).

But you can have a device that would track and measure movement, also maybe use sonar mapping. Pretty much it would track your speed, note heading, and use things like accelerometers to map your path. Well using sonar to scan the area around you, this would would give you a map of the areas your been to and also be a more realistic device.
    Plus this would one up a GPS because then we could have a fancy 3D map that would show caves and stuff.
    Yes, a GPS relies on satellites in the sky, does it not? So I can't see it being an option here, but some other mapping system perhaps.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    I have an idea for this.

1st In your base or on the Cyclops (more likely on the Cyclops but have a backup on your base) you build a map table.

2nd Using the mobile vehicle bay (Constructor) you build and launch a solar/power cell run flying drone (after launching you never interact with it again).

3rd You go out in the Sea Moth and/or the Cyclops and use sonar (has to be added to the Cyclops upgrades) to map the world.

For the map system to work it will show nothing but an empty "hollow ball" until you start mapping (if you have all the parts). If your missing the sky drone then it will show a slowly turning hollow sign that says "No Map Relay Signal". Then as you do the mapping (by use of sonar) it will slowly fill in the map. If you skip using sonar in one area and use it in the next then the map would show an empty gap between the 2 areas (for more realism). The map table at your base is the main unit while the one on the Cyclops is a remote unit. The one at the base would require the sky drone but the one on the Cyclops does not so long as your using the Cyclops to do the mapping. Then once you get back to base and park within 15m of the base you can go to the map table in the base and tell it to download the data from the Cyclops.
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    I would be satisfied with a surface map made by our PDAs (perhaps after an upgrade) as we explore, that just showed the surface biomes (so not caves) and on which we could make notes like "cave here". I can't help but keep the wiki's biome map up on my 2nd monitor while I play to help with navigation to new areas lacking beacons.

That said, Paradine's 3d map room suggestion is awesome and would be even better. I particularly like the multiple suggestions for mapping to be based on sonar. That would take a while to do and so require a lot of investment by the player, which I think makes it balanced.
    edited September 2015
    Also by having the sky drone it would allow you to see where your at on the map while looking at the map hollowgram (would be a small red dot and the moths location would be a green dot, then the Cyclops crush depth is a red line while the moths is a green line [having the lines a different shade incase your close to it] and the water surface would be a blue line).
  • FearlessWolfFearlessWolf United States Join Date: 2015-08-29 Member: 207573Members
    edited September 2015
    Myrm wrote: »
    if we are to have an in game map I think it needs to have areas where the player has not been, fogged out.
    This is something I had in mind while posting this thread, actually.
    edited September 2015
    Or if it is using a hollow graphic map table of sorts that we have to build to show the map then it would show "No Map Data Available" as soon as it is built. Then we use the sonar on the Sea Moth to do the mapping (but it is limited on the amount of data it can hold). Then every so often we dock it with the Cyclops to download the data to the bigger subs computers. Once we are done in the area or we get a "Low Data Capacity" warning we go up to less than 25m depth to transmit the data to a "Sky Runner" solar drone (build, launch, and never see again) and that in turn transmits the data to our base(s) (they have to have 1 part that is less than 25m depth to receive the signal or a relay base would have to be built because we can only transmit 50m under water from point to point). (I place all of my beacons in a regular room in the center then remove the hatch and have the room setup so it is all windows and has no access to it so it just holds my beacon and it keeps it from drifting). By doing this it would slowly "build" the map on the table(s) for use and if we have one in the Cyclops then we can see where we are on the map in real time as well as all of our bases but we would have to return to a 25m depth to send the raw data to our base and so we can download the new map update from them (making so we have to work to get our map.

Edit: This will be the balancing part of the map system.
    If we DO get some sort of map, what do you guys think about marking and possibly tracking certain creatures, like leviathans?
    Leaving aside that it would be extremely interesting to see them move around and possibly interact once their A.I. has been completed, it'd be extremely useful when it would come to avoiding them.
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    Marut wrote: »
    If we DO get some sort of map, what do you guys think about marking and possibly tracking certain creatures, like leviathans?
    Leaving aside that it would be extremely interesting to see them move around and possibly interact once their A.I. has been completed, it'd be extremely useful when it would come to avoiding them.

I think that is very cool, but should be a late game feature and you should have to tag them (risking your life) first.
    A new torpedo the "Harpoon Tracker Torpedo".
    paradine wrote: »
    A new torpedo the "Harpoon Tracker Torpedo".

This coïncides with the idea I had. Might even be launchable from that "portable torpedo-launcher" that people were asking for.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Hey gang, let's play 'Tag The Reaper'!

If he/they could be tracked from a safe distance, that would make long-term survival just a little bit less stressful.
  • Thor11011Thor11011 southampton Join Date: 2015-09-24 Member: 208130Members
    I have to admit a map would be really nice, but I would imagine it is something they are working on without needing people to suggest it, it's sort of a must have for most games now a days, especially survival/exploration games.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    edited September 2015
    I made a suggestion along these lines in my Habitat 2.0 thread. Basically we would have a module added to the game that would give us a console that would project a 3D map, this map would be built from the Sonar info captured in the Seamoth / Cyclops. From the map we could make notations and manage beacons, so we can toggle on/off the ones we want; preventing our screen from getting overwhelmed with blinky things. Other functions could be added as well.

Besides involving us in the process in a realistic manner, it adds interactivity to the game that I think it would benefit from.
  • McKabyMcKaby England Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207291Members
    @Frraksurred the idea of "turning off" beacons is a big one, it's why I don't do as much exploration as I want, as of the cluttering of the screen, it maybe could update to the Nav Comp on the Cyclops and allow us to get waypoint markers on that to known areas.

Addendum to that: A type of automated base unit that allows us to observe areas from afar, but has to be actually built there (hence exploration to get there) that we can sync to nav comp and 3d map so we get a live update of what hostiles are in the area.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    edited September 2015
    McKaby wrote: »
    @Frraksurred the idea of "turning off" beacons is a big one, it's why I don't do as much exploration as I want, as of the cluttering of the screen, it maybe could update to the Nav Comp on the Cyclops and allow us to get waypoint markers on that to known areas.

Addendum to that: A type of automated base unit that allows us to observe areas from afar, but has to be actually built there (hence exploration to get there) that we can sync to nav comp and 3d map so we get a live update of what hostiles are in the area.

If you read any of my thread then you know we're thinking along the same lines. It would be great to have a module that lists all our vehicles and nav beacons, and allows us to select the ones we want to activate or deactivate. An "All Off" and "All On" option would be good too. Work this into a console you can build into a base and on the Cyclops and we're set. You can have all the beacons you want, but only activate the one you want to travel too.

A headquarters type module that we could add to our bases would also be useful. It could contain the 3D map console I mentioned. Our beacon locations could be over-layed onto the map and managed from it. If we could make notations on it too, all the better. If some sort of scanning were added to the game (see previously mentioned thread) then resource data could also be a sideline to the map, display what resources each discovered Biome is rich in.