Habitat 2.0 : Modules *Updated*

FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
edited September 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
I've thoroughly enjoyed this game and all of its updates, but my favorite is still the "Habitat" update. Everything I do in game seems to revolve around the next thing I want to build and what I can do in it. The Creative mode was the perfect addition for me, I've built numerous vast and varied complexes above and below water. They are great to look at, but still lack a large degree of meaningful interaction. I have a few ideas to extend the functionality and diversity of our under water abodes, along with added gameplay mechanics to add usefulness and interactivity to them. I know it's a wall of text, but I hope you'll give it a read.

PURPOSEFUL ROOMS
*Similar to Moon pool*

Using a template room the size of say, the Moonpool module, I think we could add several other useful modules to the game. Here are a few ideas (pictures are merely examples I pulled online):
  • Lab - A lab could give us a place for R&D to take place. Besides expanding on the Fragment and Bio analyzers we have now, a new gameplay mechanic could be added, one of scanning the Aurora and scavenging her tech. This could play into discovering, creating and upgrading Schematics via the Lab. Almost anything could be analyzed to determine its makeup and usefulness, not only as building material, but as food, medicine, etc. We could analyze the DNA, Metals, Minerals that we're already accustomed too, plus new tech (scanning, transmitting, sonar mapping, mining, etc), historical data and generally providing a lore friendly place to build new mechanics from. Schematics could continue to populate from this but also be "upgraded" from the new info. Perhaps even creating custom schematics to experiment.
  • Central Control Center - This room would have several core functions. Given we are stranded on an uncharted planet, this room would broadcast a constant SOS (which could play into future story elements), as well as scan for transmissions. These transmissions could initially lead us to new biomes, wildlife, etc. but also play into future story elements related to the Planet's story. It could also record wildlife to decipher its "language" and share the info with other modules aimed at finding new information about them. Perhaps even leading to new, non-lethal means of pacifying aggressive predators for short times (think of it as an audible "anti-shark spray"). Terrain mapping info could be brought back from the Seamoth and uploaded to a database that would be viewable as a 3D map. This map could have notations attached to it that pop up when hovered over. We could monitor all outboard vessels and beacons using the map. This would give us a place to toggle on and off the beacons we want to see, and those we don't. This would alleviate much of the 'blinking things' that can clutter the screen (also possible form Cyclops please). It could also monitor the buildings it is attached to for energy usage and structural weaknesses so it can suggest a solution (solar panel for near surface, thermal plant for near volcanic areas, nuclear plant for Uranium rich areas, etc). Another feature could be Surveillance, with cameras becoming a schematic item that can then be placed both in and outside. Their feeds could be toggled and would make Monitors another schematic item to be placed where appropriate (Cpt Quarters, Rec Area, etc). There are lots of ideas that could make this room useful and add interaction to the game.
    unnamed.jpg
  • Living Quarters - These could come in different variations, such as a Captains Quarters and a Barracks style bunk house. If a Barracks doesn't fit the "lore" planned for the game, then perhaps a blank room that we can outfit as we see fit? More on this in a bit. Regardless, the living quarters would give you a place to rest, with a rest bonus added to Survival modes, a place to select and play music from the game's library (this could even play into a online store to buffer development income), a place to read reports, or just get deliriously depression drunk at our own personal wet bar.
    mercedes-benz-state-of-the-art-aircraft-cabin-1-800x450.jpg
  • Food Processing - A kitchen and dining area that allows you to process raw items into food (salt into seasoning; fish processed to be minus scales, bones, poisons, etc.; plant life into sides, condiments, spices, etc.). Fridge and storage area for processed items. Mini aquariums to store fresh fish and plant life.
  • Rec Room - Not very "Survival" themed, but if we can salvage / research tech and schematic ideas from the crashed Aurora (which would have had a Rec room), it still fits. This room could hold whatever meta-game the Devs wanted to experiment with, Music and Video feed (maybe historical records from the Aurora?), You vs AI in Chess, Solitare, Tower Defense, whatever. A wet bar with new drinks discoverable via the Lab's research (might want to build your quarters nearby, lol).
  • Medbay - This room is fairly obvious, You could craft medkits, tranquilizers for a new tranq gun, etc. For example, lets say you were bitten by a biter fish and started to have some kind of reaction, you would go to this room to get diagnosed. Perhaps the biter fish injects a mild poison and you need an antidote. Then your medkits could be updated with this new information, making them more effective. The room would have a small bed and a few robotic arms. Along the walls, some monitors and diagnostic computers. A Medbay specific crafting station similar to the Seamoths (only not so cramped). A counter-top and cabinets where crafting materials can be stored.
    1150849_22099_large.jpg
  • Engineering - A more heavy duty, utilitarian area where the fabricator and workbench (or their functions) are built into in-wall / in-furniture modules within the room. A real work bench with robotic assistance. A place to research upgrades for the Cyclops, Seamoth and the various tools and equipment.
    3521478-9866477951-alexc.jpg
  • Mining - Gathering resources early in the game is fun, but as items get larger and become more resource demanding it begins to get overly tedious and time consuming. I'd suggest a Mining module that would be similar to the Moonpool, only house a drone. The module could scan a limited area for resources and you could choose which of those resources you wanted the drone to collect for you. The drone would gather what it could until the Module's total storage capacity is reached. Both drone and module could be upgraded for capacity, energy efficiency and self-defense. The module could use a percentage of the resources collected for repairs if needed. Later you could then return to the module to collect what it's gathered and determine if you want it to sit in Standby, gather more, or gather something different. Lastly, to keep this from ruining gameplay too early, you could make its build requirements expensive and/or withhold its schematic until a certain stage of game progress. Scanner info could also be added to the CCC's database / 3D Map.
  • Wetroom - Everytime I place a Moonpool I find myself placing an adjacent room with Lockers and seating where I store all my Scuba gear, tools and equipment. I'd love to see a room designed with this in mind so we can switch between "work clothes" and "off-duty clothes". Maybe make a "Decontamination Chamber" a new type of transition tube that could be passed through to such areas. It could be an alternative to the bulkhead, or integrate with it.

CUSTOM ROOMS with MODULES

The same ideas as above, only turned into Modules that we can mix and match into an empty room. These Modules would be quarter room / half room in size and be designed to flow into each other similar to the game's current architecture. For example a living space could be created with a half room sized bed and closet (where you can change outfits) module, with two quarter sized modules; one a desk area with transmission monitoring station and one rec area with corner couch, music and mini-bar. Some other examples of modules could be:
  • Generic Counter-top / Workbench and wall integrated Cabinets
  • Generic Research Station
  • Generic Seating for corner and wall areas
  • Generic Desk with 3 versions = Transmission, Surveillance or Research
  • Many more, based on all the above preset themes

As you can see, these modules (or their functions) would be integral to one another. The more of them you had, the more info shared back and forth, the more your Schematics benefit.

There's lots more ideas: Mining modules and vehicles, Teraforming modules and vehicles; Biological capture, research and display modules (for larger creatures), Thermal Processing Plants... there are more ideas then are practically feasible, I know. However, expanding our base building functionality and realism seems intuitive. If nothing else, it could add much appreciated interactivity and depth. These are just my opinions and ideas however, let me know if you agree or not. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    how about instead of prefab rooms, we just get furniture and equipment that we can use to make our own rooms?

So if we wanna put the medbay next to the command station, we can.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    how about instead of prefab rooms, we just get furniture and equipment that we can use to make our own rooms?

That idea was a part of my post, just read the "Custom Rooms" part.

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I mean to say that I don't think prefab rooms are a good idea.
    We should be able to build them any way we want.

Even with the moonpool we can put the upgrade control panel anywhere.
    edited September 2015
    I mean to say that I don't think prefab rooms are a good idea.
    We should be able to build them any way we want.

Even with the moonpool we can put the upgrade control panel anywhere.

I don't disagree, but why not both? The problem I'm seeing with things like the Fabricator, workbench and analyzers is there are no appliances or furniture to go with them. I want an actual workbench, with workbench functionality built into it. I want a table and chairs that are built into the room, that I can sit and do useful things at. This game is great, but it needs a lot more props to look lived in, not to mention things to interact with to give it depth beyond just exploration and survival. Making everything modular is good, but can also restrict you to a very minimalist layout and aesthetic. Personally I'd prefer a mixture.

EDIT: I don't want to limit what we can do now, or our ability to "place anything anywhere", I want to expand on it with larger items that have more gameplay uses, if that makes sense.

OP updated with a few clarifications and additional ideas.
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    Lots of great ideas in here and cool pictures, but my impression so far is that we will be given more consoles and modules which we can use to spec out a room however we want, rather than prefab rooms as you suggest. That could always change though. As for your question of, "why not both?", that's simple: it is a hell of a lot less work for them to create the parts and let us design the rooms using them, plus we get the creative control.

I hope we will get some of the components you suggest so we can make these rooms, although as your Wetroom section demonstrates, we can already make some of these rooms. I would particularly like a medical station if we can get injured, diseased, infected, etc; some sort of computer mainframe to house our base AI; a holographic mapping table; furniture for immersive decoration; etc.
    Sojo wrote: »
    Lots of great ideas in here and cool pictures, but my impression so far is that we will be given more consoles and modules which we can use to spec out a room however we want, rather than prefab rooms as you suggest.

@Sojo Thank you. Given the design direction the Devs have taken thus far, I'm inclined to agree with you... and I'm fine with that really, so long as it accomplishes the same basic goals. It would be fun to have more stuff to build, but as we've seen so far, after you build it there's not much to do but look at it. The game needs gameplay mechanics associated with them, things we can interact with that has an impact on what we do... and is impacted by what we do. The 3D map being built by our Sonar mapping is a good example. Then we can survey where we've visited, manage our beacons and have useful data about what we have going on at those various places. The Lab would have Schematic affecting R&D and all these modules could share info with each other, improving each other's results. Maybe I'm describing a coding nightmare, I don't know, but from an end users perspective it all seems worthwhile.
    After doing a bunch of exploring today, I think some kind of transmitter panel / console that could send local intel from back to the mainframe would be good (Resource scanning, Sonar mapping, wildlife traits). We could build little outposts equipped with a scanning module, transmitter and a resource collecting drone. The transmitters would have a range, so you might have to have one every 400 meters or something, and the drone could only collect so much before you came back and emptied its storage.
  • TysohalTysohal Germany Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207819Members
    After doing a bunch of exploring today, I think some kind of transmitter panel / console that could send local intel from back to the mainframe would be good (Resource scanning, Sonar mapping, wildlife traits). We could build little outposts equipped with a scanning module, transmitter and a resource collecting drone. The transmitters would have a range, so you might have to have one every 400 meters or something, and the drone could only collect so much before you came back and emptied its storage.

I would love having a map room where I can plan my next expedition. There should also be a hologram map which can be build in the cyclops and mirrors the map in the base. Perhaps you can draw some kind of line on it to mark your planned path.
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members

For the love of talos yes. What kind of furniture though?
    Marut wrote: »

For the love of talos yes. What kind of furniture though?

Personally, I was envisioning larger versions of the console area that came with the Seamoth update. Things that took up a whole corner of a Moon pool sized room. They would be a corner desk area that was outfitted according to the theme you choose (sonar, broadcast center, R&D etc). Something that looks more integrated and not just some box we fabricate and set on the floor. Something that gives the feel of a futuristic Medbay, Control Center or Lab, not just scavenged odds and ends. I mean, odds and end fit in the beginning, but get boring and out-lived fast. I envision a facility based on tech schematics we've scanned or scavenged from the Aurora. I mean that thing would be a treasure trove for a lone survivor of a crashed landing.

Anyway, I rabbit trail. I'm thinking of integrated consoles, desks, table and chairs, counter tops and cabinets, diagnostic computers, research centers, work BENCHES, a build center with robotic arms that "fabricate" larger items, etc. I just want a realistic looking room, not just an empty room with a few sparse things placed here and there. It's great the world starts that way, but we need things to aspire too, and I see that as a more fully realized world (at least until story elements are added, even then).
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Those are nice ideas. The control center is a thing i really wish was in the game! The rest i would't say no to.

The thing with beacons is, i want a base module like a frabricator or (even better) the seamtoh upgrade console. I want to chose a symbol and a color for my bases' beacon signals. The control center should serve as a beacon management center as well, but each beacon needs to be able to modified individually and without a cotrol center.
    The fact that you wrote CENTRAL control center suggest something like that, right?
    edited September 2015
    @Captain_Pyro I like the idea of adding color coding to the beacons, appeals to my compulsive side. Good idea.

As far as being a "central" only Control Center, I agree with you, that would be a bad idea. I should have worded it better, I was just relating to existing military lingo. Nonetheless, while I would still want a console / module that displayed beacon locations into a 3D map room (I want a lot for the 3D map), I would also want the ability to manage them on the Cyclops, if not a streamlined version of it on our PDA.

My focus on the 3D map is related to a database idea I had where we could build it out with intel gathered from our various explorations. This database would be affected by, and shared with, other modules (R&D, Medlab, Broadcasting, Engineering, etc). All of which would use a satalite system we'd have to build and launch, to communicate back and forth, to our PDA and other bases.

In general many of the ideas I see on these forums seem to want the same basic functions, just suggested in differing forms. I'm not dead set on a certain form, so long as the function and interactivity is effectively realized in the end.
    Integrated things huh? You mean like: place a furniture node and you can then "mold" it into the desired piece of furniture?
    With maybe different types for different sizes and complexities of pieces.
    edited September 2015
    Marut wrote: »
    Integrated things huh? You mean like: place a furniture node and you can then "mold" it into the desired piece of furniture?
    With maybe different types for different sizes and complexities of pieces.

I mean like an expanded version of the Console you can add to the Moonpool now. For instance, in a room that had a large center map console in it, you could have the option of putting windows or doors all around it in the normal spots, or you could fill those spots with specific modules. A desk area with broadcasting equipment to send and receive transmission. A bank of storage lockers, A Kitchenette, anything useful. It will fill a "slot" but be bigger then what we've seen so far. In a room you wanted to turn into your personal quarters you might use two slots for module that filled half the room with a bed and night stands. It could expand what we're able to do right now, without having to rework everything.

Make sense or am I just making things worse? :p
  • McKabyMcKaby England Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207291Members
    I can understand where you are coming from, somewhat.

I remember reading someone saying they want "snap-to" for building, and I was looking at the concept art of the for Water filter and think that some of your ideas could work with snap-to on the side walls of the generic room, then what limits it is the amount of depth the item has going towards the centre, I could draw up what I was thinking if you need me to @Frraksurred
    edited September 2015
    @McKaby If you're disposed to do so, then by all means. I'd certainly enjoy seeing it. I'd thought of sketching out some of my ideas, but I'm afraid that would be more useful for comic relief than translating the vision in my head. ;-)
    Slots could work. Would require different "sizes" of slots for different purposes. And could you use smaller things on a large slot?
  • McKabyMcKaby England Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207291Members
    I am currently trying to draw up the room, but hit a snag, as I mentioned in my other thread, but I can't find the exact size of the corridor and rooms so I can't show what I mean properly as it won't be to a scale, but these "slots" are basically the depth of the item, look at the current plan for a water filtration system and how far that comes off the wall compared to the Fabricator