Submit Your Creature Ideas!

Comments

• CrazyAcekingCrazyAceking New York, NY, 10003 Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204307Members
    how do i insert images again? i have some sketches that i want to show you guys.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    We need creatures that look alien-like, not just things from earth. Also the devs have enough creatures planned, so this post is kinda pointless.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    We need creatures that look alien-like, not just things from earth. Also the devs have enough creatures planned, so this post is kinda pointless.

So do you just go around shitting all over people's ideas or do you plan on contributing at all?

1. The earth creatures are for inspiration. Do not be the idiot that assumes we went real world fish just because we use them as examples.

2. There is literally no reason for you to say "oh they have enough creatures planned, stop talking about your ideas!" unless you're trying to troll.
  • CrazyAcekingCrazyAceking New York, NY, 10003 Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204307Members
    edited September 2015
    i still cant upload pictures, damn it.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited September 2015
    i still cant upload pictures, damn it.

1. Go to tinypic.com
    2. upload whatever image you want
    3. once it's uploaded, copy the Direct LInk For Layouts link
    4. Click where you want to put the image in your post
    5. Type [ IMG ] without any spaces
    6. Paste the URL without any spaces
    7. Type [ /IMG ] without any spaces
    8. Post comment

2zxnk0y.png

Quote my post to see how the [*img] tags work.
    edited September 2015
    I love it!

>This is the Sea Swallower
    >It swallows seas
    I love it!

>This is the Sea Swallower
    >It swallows seas

i actually made descriptions for them on my deviantart. i quote myself -
    Sea Swallower
    "Many sailors tell the tale of a massive gaping mouth appearing halfway above the water, swallowing their crew, and sometimes the ship, then returning to the murky depths below."
    Abyssal Stalker
    "A race of aquatic humanoid creatures long forgotten by humanity. Their body structure has allowed them to survive in the deep sea."
    Intrepid
    "A legendary whale, said to be the size of a mountain. It's many battle scars are the remainders of the multiple pirates and hunters who tried to take it down. The first person to meet it and live was Herman Melville, who went on to write it into the incarnation of Moby Dick."
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    I had a few ideas for herbivore creatures that interact with the reaper as its normal prey don't have names but I can describe how they would look and work in game.

1. this would be a mostly stationary creature that moves with the currents a bit like the escape pod can drift around. it would be around the size of a seamoth and be similar to a nautilus with a big other shell. inside it would be mostly tentacles equipped with filtering organs (bit like wide feathers) it would close if danger was nearby. the reason I wanted this as a prey for the reaper is because it knows how to break open the seamoth because it hunts these when nothing else is around (would be hard to break open for him thus he would hunt them only as last option). these would spawn in clusters of 7 to 15 around the dunes and above or next to the mushroom forest.

2. the idea with this one is that it would be semi-aquatic and semi-airborn. the are bigger then the previous creature but smaller then the reefback. just think about a mantaray that can fly but bigger mouth/body with more wing-like appendices. these would appear in flock of 5 to 7 individuals and whenever a reaper gets noticed (because of visual clue or because it caught one of them) the will fly away and move to a different biome. i would think about 5 or 6 flock inside the game would be sufficient.

the main idea with both of them is that the would be harmless them self but you would want to get near them because reapers would be programmed to move from their normal territory to these hunting ground to feed (they wouldn't go throught the shallows or the kelp forest or the bottom of the mushroom forest) this would increase the amount of prey animals for the reaper up to 3 (reefbacks being number 3) and add some amount of "reality" to the game (would be nice if reaper would fight over hunting ground while rarely killing but mostly weakening each other so that a different predator can try and hunt them {any of you guys willing to make that one?})

I will try to make some sketches and upload them later.
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    Mammals and small fish/creatures. Might not be the most impressive thing on the list, but neccesary to make a complete ecosystem. Also do we already have jellyfish?
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    Marut wrote: »
    Mammals and small fish/creatures. Might not be the most impressive thing on the list, but neccesary to make a complete ecosystem. Also do we already have jellyfish?

there are the jellyfish caves inside the kelp forest but i am not certain that those are jellyfishes since they don't move at all and i thought someone referred to the as fungi.
    lorcogoth wrote: »

there are the jellyfish caves inside the kelp forest but i am not certain that those are jellyfishes since they don't move at all and i thought someone referred to the as fungi.

I thought they seemed more like sea anemones. Y'know, the ones Nemo lives in. It's the same familia but different from things like a portuguese man 'o war in that it doesn't float around all the time.
    edited September 2015
    This would be a kind of cool concept for a large flying monster.
    spear_neck_by_varatera-d61innn.png
    edited September 2015
    Not bad at all. Did you draw this?

Edit: what if we could ride one?
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members

THAT would be unrealistic at all - in contrast to unknown huge creatures in great depth! ;-)
    Bloop wrote: »

THAT would be unrealistic at all - in contrast to unknown huge creatures in great depth! ;-)

Very true. I need to recollect my thoughts. What about some large angler fish that eats reaper leviathans?
    Seriously though, an angler fish would be cool.
    edited September 2015
    Yes that would be (creepy) cool! I think the abyssal creatures in subnautica should have the "demonic" look of our deep sea animals, too! an angler-fish-like would be a good example!

anglerfish.jpg
    And here an Angler (not soooo realistic^^) specialiced on humans:
    tumblr_mpeislryq51qesseao1_1280.jpg
  • CoreykunCoreykun Cologne, Germany Join Date: 2015-09-21 Member: 208067Members
    Imagine an island on a gigantic turtle. And how frightening it would be if you swim nearby and it opens it eyes. Would be the shock of my life. :persevere:
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    Painted_FrogFish_yawning.jpg

Giant creature based off real life frogfish, which have exceptional camouflage and in less than a second when a suitable target approaches (which many species lure in with a highly modified dorsal fin that wiggles like a small fish--like the angler's fish) open wide their huge mouth and suck the target in. Oh what a pretty mound of coral -- pop -- why did it get dark suddenly? Maybe you could irritate its stomach so it would realize you are too dangerous and spit you out. Not hard to deal with but it would be cool and give you a good scare.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    First of all, I'd like to be able to eat the biters, it's only fair (after they're dead of course).
    As for new fauna I'd like to see a symbiotic rock mimic. It would attract floaters to itself, float around like the other floater-rocks, but have tentacles or insect like arms that lash out and collect food, feeding themselves and the floaters. it wouldn't necessarily be aggressive, it just lashes out at anything.
    Another animal that might be nice to have would live on the surface and use the winds to move around, similar to the Portuguese Man-of-war. It could use some kind of inflated air sack or simply unfurl large fins towards the sky to catch the breeze. Whether it's aggressive or not doesn't matter to me.
    Also, I'm curious, why can't we put large dead creatures (Stalkers, Sand Sharks, etc.) into the biomass reactor?
  • Bebete_MasterBebete_Master France Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208091Members
    Hi all, just a little suggestion (but perhaps that the devs already envisaged that).
    I think that the eyes of Pepper should be animated. That would make it more alive.
    And perhaps it should always look at the player, that will accentuate its apprehensive side.
    (that can be apply has different fishes)
    6zmvq8.jpg

PS: Sorry for my English.
    Bebete_Master, I very much agree, and those drawings are adorable! Also, your grammar and punctuation is better than most native English speakers' on the internet :wink:; all that really matters is comprehension.
    anyone have any opinions on my sketches?
    I like the abyssal Stalker !
    6zmvq8.jpg

This would make them so much cuter oh gosh

04Leonhardt , I am agree which my drawings are too Disney style (as Némo). but they are not really explicit. I think nevertheless that the eyes miss animation.
    And CrazyAceking, i love your crazy style and your typography. And thank you Sojo.
    Mammals and small fish/creatures. Might not be the most impressive thing on the list, but necessary to make a complete ecosystem. Also do we already have jellyfish?

If this is an "ocean world", there shouldn't be mammals (or true birds for that matter) as those could only evolve on land (at least a small continent, a few tiny islands probably wouldn't be enough), since warm bloodedness is their biggest defining feature and that is only needed on land. Aquatic animals have a much easier time maintaining a high enough body temperate to stay active, since water is such an excellent insulator of heat.

Plus I just think even alien mammals and birds would be boring, since we live in a world dominated by them today. I'ld much rather they continue adding aquatic animals (mammals and birds that have "returned to the ocean" don't count as aquatic in this sense: seals, penguins, etc). That is ignoring the fact that this logically couldn't be an ocean world, but that should be another thread :wink:.

My point is, if this is an alien world, let's keep maximizing the alien feel. This is best achieved by taking inspiration from groups of life with which the average person is less familiar: cnidarians, mollusks, arthropods, exotic and deepsea fish, etc.

On a side note, we already have cnidarians (jellyfish and kin) in the form of the jellyshrooms (aka snake mushrooms) in their namesake biome. They undulated in a previous version and I'm sure will again, probably once the crabsnakes are added. I would love if they added an animal like a man-o'-war. It could be related to the floaters or not, and it could have long dangerous tentacles meant to be avoided, but it would move with the hopefully future dynamic ocean currents rather than seek out prey. Its sting would hurt and maybe stun or slow the player, and if it were large enough (meaning the player would be suitable prey) it could stun us and start drawing us up to its mouth!

800px-Portuguese_Man-O-War_%28Physalia_physalis%29.jpg