Subnautica's Rotation

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
Hi

Not sure what the planet is called, so I am going to assume it's called Subnautica >.<

Just a simple observation really; I noticed that the sun sets in the North and rises in the South. Does that mean that Subnautica has a rotation similar to Uranus (or is it Neptune that rotates on its "side"?) rather than Earth? :smile:

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    The magnetic poles could just be in different places.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Dev - ok this world needs a sun. CLICK. there...oh yeah cant forget to make it move across the sky. Lets see here, Im gonna make it go....CLICK CLICK...that way. Ok sun moving across sky...CHECK. ok its beer thirty guys, tomorrow I will give the player a shadow. ( think its just a lets not mimic earth thing)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited August 2015
    I think it's pretty cool that it sets in the north and rises in the south. Be even cooler if it was a green sun >.<
  • JoolJool Join Date: 2015-04-26 Member: 203846Members
    edited August 2015
    Myrm wrote: »
    I think it's pretty cool that it sets in the north and rises in the south. Be even cooler if it was a green sun >.<
    Realistically, green stars don't exist, so it would have to be a filtering effect of the atmosphere. As the atmosphere of this planet is (presumably) similar to our own, it likely would not happen. One thing that would be cool is if they made the sun match the one on the Aurora crashing art when loading levels, which appears to be a Neutron Star or similar, which could lead to some pretty cool sunrises and sunsets.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Jool wrote: »
    Realistically, green stars don't exist, so it would have to be a filtering effect of the atmosphere. As the atmosphere of this planet is (presumably) similar to our own, it likely would not happen. One thing that would be cool is if they made the sun match the one on the Aurora crashing art when loading levels, which appears to be a Neutron Star or similar, which could lead to some pretty cool sunrises and sunsets.

I kind of doubt that a neutron star could have planets, and the radiation would make life as we know it impossible. More likely just a hot blue star.
    Realistically, green stars don't exist...

Realistically this is a computer game, not reality. Anything can happen. :smiley:
  • 7R1P0D7R1P0D Canada Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207170Members
    Realistically, green stars don't exist
    actually, our star is technically green, although it's basically bright white with a tinytinytiny amount of green when looked at from space http://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/activities/GreenSun.html
    7R1P0D wrote: »
    Realistically, green stars don't exist
    actually, our star is technically green, although it's basically bright white with a tinytinytiny amount of green when looked at from space http://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/activities/GreenSun.html

I'm glad you said it's white rather than the yellow/orange people think it is. I watch an Astronomy series given by Dr Alex Filippenko. It was extremely interesting. He told us the sun was white. Though I don't remember him saying it had green in it >.<
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    edited August 2015
    Wait.. A second.. If it rotates with the sun rising from the south and setting in the north. How the hell is the arctic zone in the north?

Actually if it rotates that way that means the west and east side of the planet will always be in direct sun light for a quarter of the year each and on the dark side of the planet for the same amount of time. This planet is going to have some really crazy and extreme weather throughout the year. One side of the planet in a hellish heat wave well the other side is turned into a tundra. And then it gets flipped around for the other half of the year. This is assuming this planets year is roughly the same as earths.
    The sea life would have to migrate between east and west, well the magnetic poles would be the best place to be. Granted the poles will get winter maybe on par with a Canadian one well te summer time would be like living on the equator.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Ivan: You are presuming that the majority of the planet's heat comes from the sun. However, it could also be coming from below the surface.
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Ivan: You are presuming that the majority of the planet's heat comes from the sun. However, it could also be coming from below the surface.

Vary true as there's lots of volcanic activity on the sea bed.
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    Racer1 wrote: »

That is a far point and a possibility because the lava activity is very common and in shallow water.
  • silverfearsilverfear belgium Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205112Members

would be cool at night that the planet haves a ring like saturn and a few moons
    silverfear wrote: »

would be cool at night that the planet haves a ring like saturn and a few moons

Yes, vary cool. :smile: